I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.

If people could get fit without counting calories, they'd probably do that too. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with using calorie counting as a tool for weight loss or that the people who choose it are only comfortable with what they know and don't want to expand.

Food scales, calorie databases, . . . these things are just tools. I don't think one can make assumptions about broader personality traits based on someone choosing to use certain tools for weight loss over others.

You are getting ahead of yourself. I never said anything wrong with counting. In fact it's the right way if that's all you know and are getting results. Actually there's no right or wrong. It's just effectiveness and the cost of it. Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)

To me counting is just a rudimentary approach to controlling weight.

You're still assuming it is "all I know." I've tried not weighing, it didn't work well for me. I'm not choosing this out of not knowing what is out there. I'm choosing it because I know what options are available and this is what works best for me. Why is that so hard to understand?

In my book, that means you don't know not weighing.

But enough debating like this. If you don't understand my logic above, I doubt any more debating would help.

So your premise is anyone who prefers using a certain tool to not using a certain tool is just wrong (AKA, doesn't "know" what you know). That can't be proven or disproven and there isn't really a way for anyone to engage with that.

What you've posted above isn't "logic." It's just your opinion on what people who choose to use a scale don't know, based on your assumption of what is going on in our minds.

Look at the logic of your statement "I've tried not weighing, it didn't work well for me. "

That's like, a travel guide saying I know the city, and then he gets in detours, delays, etc. but eventually gets you to your destination whereas other guides get their tourists to their destination expeditely.

That's like, a new hire saying I know how to use the computer to produce a company letter, and she takes days to produce an average document, whereas people are known to be able to produce a great letter in an hour.

But when I point out to the example travel guide and the new hire that they do not really know what they are doing, they fight back and say that's not logic; it's just my opinion. LOL.

I just want to point out that this is actually the opposite of using a food scale.

The food scale user goes to the city has a map and exact train times. The non weigher is the one who says the train comes about every ten minutes and that the destination is approximately five miles away.

Comon, you're mudding the debate :) That's not what we were talking about at all.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    jane, I liken a travel guide's inability/inefficiency to only that logic statement of yours where you said you know the "not weighing" approach but it didn't work so well. Just that logic of yours.

It gets confusing when someone else starts thinking map, scale, negative emotion, etc.

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    jane, I liken a travel guide's inability/inefficiency to only that logic statement of yours where you said you know the "not weighing" approach but it didn't work so well. Just that logic of yours.

It gets confusing when someone else starts thinking map, scale, negative emotion, etc.

I agree--you come off like a "condescending.......". When they use YOUR own examples back at you it's confusing? Great that you're so superior, but we are on a calorie counting website first and formost, so I never get what noncounters don't understand about counting. Why asking if we're going to do this for the rest of our lives? It's not your business. I live in Italy and everyone weighs food anyway. It's precise and I just don't even think of it. I don't think of myself as a failure-- just practical. This way I keep track of my macros, which interests me. You do you, and enough of the really odd analogies. Shovel vs tractor--shmmth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Eyeballing is far less burdensome for me, but that's because I'm fairly relaxed about my weight loss. I shoot for a pound and a half per week...a pound makes me happy, 2 pounds makes me very happy. I don't have a particular goal weight, so I really don't understand the people who fight tooth and nail for the last 6 pounds.

I say, do whatever works for you...maybe though, someone should start a group for people who don't weigh food. It's kinda lonely out here. I thought it was only me.

I don't think it has much to do with how relaxed someone is. One reason I started weighing is because I knew I was undereating (this is back when I was still very heavy and losing easily without weighing). I'm so relaxed now that I don't even log. ;-) But estimating and logging based on cups or something just feels much more burdensome to me -- I have to think about the size and guess. That's fine (mostly, like I said I still enjoy weighing some things) when I'm not logging, but when I have to put a number in I prefer to just know the real number and I have all the good entries with the 100 gram options easily findable in my foods and so on.

I don't like trying to estimate calories from exercise either, so went to TDEE method once my exercise was pretty consistent, so I think it's just different personality types.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Eyeballing is far less burdensome for me, but that's because I'm fairly relaxed about my weight loss. I shoot for a pound and a half per week...a pound makes me happy, 2 pounds makes me very happy. I don't have a particular goal weight, so I really don't understand the people who fight tooth and nail for the last 6 pounds.

I say, do whatever works for you...maybe though, someone should start a group for people who don't weigh food. It's kinda lonely out here. I thought it was only me.

I don't think it has much to do with how relaxed someone is. One reason I started weighing is because I knew I was undereating (this is back when I was still very heavy and losing easily without weighing). I'm so relaxed now that I don't even log. ;-) But estimating and logging based on cups or something just feels much more burdensome to me -- I have to think about the size and guess. That's fine (mostly, like I said I still enjoy weighing some things) when I'm not logging, but when I have to put a number in I prefer to just know the real number and I have all the good entries with the 100 gram options easily findable in my foods and so on.

I don't like trying to estimate calories from exercise either, so went to TDEE method once my exercise was pretty consistent, so I think it's just different personality types.

Clarifying here - relaxed in attitude, or relaxed about the timeline of weight loss? Timeline example: if I don't weigh, I'm going to lose slower than if I do weigh, so to me being "relaxed" about it means I accept losing 5 lbs in 3 months instead of in 2 months.

Attitude: I don't feel anal-retentive when using the scale, just more goal-oriented. I don't feel carefree when not using the scale, I just don't feel like adding the extra step. (Weighing things takes a while for me. Most people say it's fast and easy for them... Not so much for me. I do actually think cups are easier, probably because of how I learned to prep when I started cooking. Old habits die hard.) I don't feel more or less "relaxed" whether I weigh or not, but maybe some people do.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    jane, I'm not going to refute every off track analogy you brought up. The more we discuss, the more chances for jerks and detractors to chime in with irrelevant stuffs, name calling, etc. It's sad that we can't discuss objectively. I stand by my logic that when you said you have tried the not weighing approach and it didn't work so well, that means you don't know it, specially you don't know what the millions that do not weigh and succeed know. I think one poster (I assume in the counter camp) equates that (not weighing and succeeding) to having a magic wand.
  • changetimenow
    changetimenow Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to lose weight without using a food scale? Yes, for many people; I was one of those people who lost successfully when I was younger but I never managed to keep it off.

However, this time around I am using a food scale. I want to teach myself proper portion sizes. I want to know that I am not losing too quickly and losing too much muscle. I don't want to go too low on my calories that I give up without ever reaching my goal. I don't want to have to cut out treats or food groups to lose weight.

I think that people have the idea that weighing food out will be tedious and labor intensive, so not sustainable long term. That may be the case; I may not weigh every morsel of food for the rest of my life, but I think that I will learn more about what a real portion is by weighing out rather than eyeballing it and hoping that I am accurate. Plenty of people are on here not losing weight and eyeballing their portions. Others are eyeballing and losing weight but left feeling hungry and deprived. How is this more sustainable?
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For the record, the idea of weighing and tracking my food for the rest of my life used to bother me, until I realized that I do exactly that with my money. I carefully track all of the money that goes into, and out of, my bank account. I also carefully track the gas that I put into my car, and how long since an oil change, and when the brake pads were replaced, etc. I track the books I read, and the books I read to my kids, and my comic books (both which ones I have read, and which ones I have purchased). When I grocery shop, I walk through the store with a list in one hand and a calculator in the other, and I track exactly how much I'm spending. And, as I mentioned above, I track my time. None of these things bother me, and I have no plan to one day stop tracking them. On the contrary, I want to track and control MORE of my life! And I realized that the only thing I don't like about tracking food is that sometimes (like at a buffet, or a non-chain restaurant), the information I need is hard to come by. IOW, I don't dislike tracking. I dislike not tracking. I still haven't figured out a good solution to that, but I'm open to suggestions. For now I use my husband as my estimator. He can look at a plate of food and guess the calories with uncanny accuracy. When I try to do that myself (and I've had about 4 years on MFP to try to learn), I inevitably end up gaining weight. I'm not interested in bashing my head against that brick wall anymore when I don't have to.

that's brilliant, i read those 2 posts and was nodding along as I do most of those things. It's usually a masculine trait, do you also keep top 10 lists, movies, music etc?