I understand and then I don't (scales and weighing and calorie worrying)

Options

Replies

• solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies.

Choosing to weigh doesn't mean that one is only comfortable with what they know and not expanding. It just means they have found a method that works for them.

I don't know if there are "tendencies" to "understand" as much as there are different methods that people can choose based on their lifestyle, goals, and preferences.

It's controversial when intelligence or capability is discussed. So we better not go there. But think about this, as most things in life there tends to be superior ways and rudimentary ways. Do you think all fit people need to weigh? The answer is obviously No. If people could get fit without weighing, do you think they would take that option? Yes.

If people could get fit without counting calories, they'd probably do that too. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with using calorie counting as a tool for weight loss or that the people who choose it are only comfortable with what they know and don't want to expand.

Food scales, calorie databases, . . . these things are just tools. I don't think one can make assumptions about broader personality traits based on someone choosing to use certain tools for weight loss over others.

You are getting ahead of yourself. I never said anything wrong with counting. In fact it's the right way if that's all you know and are getting results. Actually there's no right or wrong. It's just effectiveness and the cost of it. Many people still use shovels to move dirt. Then, there are those who use tractors. :)

To me counting is just a rudimentary approach to controlling weight.

• justincooper405
    justincooper405 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hot topic wowza :o
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    "OP, I already saw this side a few weeks in. I realize the body is really good at managing surplus and deficit and in a lot longer than 24 hours. I stopped weighing foods after 2 months in. It's unnecessary to be precise with 1xxx calories. Life (at least mine) is much more spontaneous and up/down than such precision. I have enough worries and I don't need another worry about calories. All the work and concern about foods are pale in comparison to a bit of effort used for self control around foods.

That said, everyone is different. Many people are comfortable with what they only know and not expanding. It's good that they are losing weight with what they learned on first day. You don't have to, and you cannot, understand everyone's tendencies."

Thanks for understanding my thoughts. I certainly did not intend them to alienate people, and it isn't a criticism of their choices. I appreciate the feedback.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I get why you don't get it, but then again, read how many posts are created in a day on here saying "why am I not losing weight? I eat healthy." After questions, it almost always turns out they're eyeballing their food and using the cups / spoons per packages rather than going by weight. The reason most here on MFP swear by weighing solids is because it's really the only way to ensure you're actually eating the actual portion (i.e. 58 grams as opposed to APPROXIMATELY 4 slices of deli meat, which usually weight more than 58 grams).

Weighing is going to be more accurate, and will make all the difference in the world to those who are "stuck" or find they're just not losing weight, despite "sticking to the calories set by MFP".
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

I know the weight comes off easier, when you are really overweight, however. if you know your BMR, your TDEE and your approximate calorie intake, along with your ballpark calorie output, you can lose weight, or maintain, w/o weighing things, and worrying about little things?

^^ Right there is the answer. When you have a lot of weight to lose, you afford to be less precise with your measurements. But it took me eight months to lose eight pounds last year. I had to very precise in my measurements because I had very little to lose. Get down to you last 10 pounds and we'll revisit the subject. ;)

Edited to add that since losing the weight last year, I've lost my thyroid to cancer. I have no wiggle room anymore at all. I weigh every morsel that goes in my mouth.

Thank you for the excellent feedback. I do understand the less weight offers far less wiggle room. I also mentioned the health issues. I don't honestly know IF I'll have a "last 10 pounds" to get to. I know, healthwise I needed to lose weight. I was morbidly obese and pre diabetic at the age of 57. I figured this would be my last go round at success. My A1C was 7.4 in Jan. I made up mind and on March 1st jumped in with both feet. (I have done this before 20 years ago as well...went from 256 then to 198..funny how weight seems to find its way back)

My Dr. saw me the end of April and my A1C was 5.4 and he was very happy! I do not know my end goal. I think, I do not have one. I have a range. 195-205 and I am hope to stay within that range is my thought. I know according to charts, that is still too heavy for a guy that is 5'10 1/2" tall..but I am not getting down to 168 or whatever ridiculous weight I should be at according to the charts. Maybe IF I can get to 195..I'll change my thoughts and shoot for 185? That is quite a few pounds away. I appreciate the feedback! I wish you success in life's journey!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like to be as accurate as possible. It's that simple. I only weigh and measure when I am cutting though. It literally takes like an extra 3 minutes per day. If I'm cooking I'm in the kitchen anyway so really it takes 0 time. If I go out, it's easier to guesstimate since I weighed and measures for so long. Win win.
    It was super easy to lose the first 70lbs but I had to weigh and measure for the last 10.
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    Personally, weighing isn't a must. It's just the most accurate way of counting calories and MFP gets bombarded a lot with "have lost no weight on ____ calories"

Usually due to people not counting correctly. So if you're not losing weight and not weighing food, try weighing and see if it helps.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I do actually weigh some foods, if I have to. I did go and buy a nice food scale when I started this journey. Anything helps and I do realize it is far more accurate!

• jaymo602
    jaymo602 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think some of us enjoy this from a scientific perspective in knowing what goes in to us, and learning what the reaction will be. I myself love to cook, and that can be an exact science in quantity and measurements.

Allot of us got very overweight in what seems like a "short" period of time (ie.. waking up one day and saying WTF?? how did this happen?). I think it makes me feel very accountable for my actions, something I CLEARLY lacked prior in my life.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

But it took me eight months to lose eight pounds last year. I had to very precise in my measurements because I had very little to lose. Get down to you last 10 pounds and we'll revisit the subject. ;)

I was so glad to see this. When younger if I put a few pounds on I could just cut back and in a few days off it came. Since being on MFP it has been so slow even though I can tell I am so much trimmer around my middle where it all goes. Like you it has averaged out about a lb a month despite all the cutbacks; even more healthy eating and exercising the best I can with disability compared to virtually nothing before. It is definitely much more frustrating when only a few pounds to lose as all those who have more are shedding half a stone a week :neutral:
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    however. if you know your BMR, your TDEE and your approximate calorie intake, along with your ballpark calorie output............

But this is a lifestyle change, it should not, after time, require food scales and worrying over juice in a can..should it?

1. If you want to calculate a TDEE that is more accurate than what you get from a calculator online, you need data going back at least 2-3 months, and that data needs to be as accurate as you can make it.

2. As for the lifestyle change aspect, for me, I plan on weighing and logging permanently. In the past, any time I lost a lot of weight, I had this idea that I needed to reach a point of normalcy. That meant no more weighing or logging and just eating like a normal person. For me, personally, this is something that is not possible. I would not have had such a massive weight problem my whole life if it were. I've come to accept this and look at my logging as part of my "treatment".

Plus, weighing everything means that you actually may get to eat more than you think sometimes. You know that you have X amount of calories left for something vs. just hoping that you do - at least within a margin of error that will still exist when weighing, but it's a lot smaller than eyeballing.

Thank you! I appreciate the thoughts you've shared. I am learning and we all learn from each other. I'm sure I could have phrased my original thought better..but it is really about understanding others and their journey. We all post, we all share. What works for some doesn't for others. To me, I like to learn about things I jump into. I wish you success on your journey!
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    mcginger1 wrote: »
    I love this post, OP!! Thank you for so eloquently saying what I've been feeling all along. <3

LOL..You're welcome. This post was not intended to tick people off, or anything of the sort..just a thought, as I see on so many threads..weigh everything..buy a scale..you could be overeating 300-1000 calories and so on. I just want to learn and understand the different mindsets.
  • BiggDaddy58
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, you have 2,200 cals to work with. You seem to be aiming for a 1,000 cal deficit. So even if you are off by 300 cals, you will lose weight at a good clip.

I am a smaller woman at a healthy weight. My maintenance is 1700 cals, so I only shoot for a 250 cal deficit. When I was eyeballing, I didn't lose weight, because after 50 cals here and 50 cals there, my deficit was gone.

Eyeballing how much pasta to put on my plate, or putting my plate on a food scale and adding pasta until I see the right number take basically the same amount of time. I would guess I maybe spend an extra 5 minutes a day using the scale, at most.

As far as "sticking with what I know, and not expanding", what I "knew" was eyeballing and measuring cups. I "expanded" to using the food scale. And now I am much better at eyeballing when at a restaurant or someone else's home. But I am a very number oriented person, so when I have access to the food scale I LIKE to use it.

Thanks for the thoughts. I get that part of it. Knowing I have more leeway..I also know that leeway will shrink over time as hopefully I shrink over time! I wish you success on your journey!