June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @shanber - Thanks for that info. I am currently using a pronged collar and it works ok, but I need to work on transitioning off of it. I have never thought of using treats to keep her by my side. I give her treats when we stop if she did well and stayed by my side. Last night we walked for about a half mile to a path across from my subdivision. Then I tried to run with her but she kept stopping on me to sniff at stuff. So I turned around and she just wanted to run. We ran all the way home, plus through some streets in my neighborhood without stopping, almost a mile. The little bugger just always keeps me guessing!
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Rough 5k this morning. I had a headache. 78 degrees with 70% humidity (could've been worse but not ideal). First mile was brutal with dead legs and pain. Then I GOT POOPED ON BY A BIRD! It hit my shirt, shorts, and shoe. I use a few ounces of precious water to hose off.

@skippygirlsmom I need to borrow that trainer!

@mbaker566 OUCH!

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Sorry to :lol:@greenolivetree but that did make me laugh about the bird poop! At least you toughed it out!
  • lporter229
    Options
    June 1- 5 miles solo plus 1.2 miles with the puppy. Also yoga.
    June 2- 5 miles hills plus 0.75 miles with the puppy
    June 3- Unplanned rest day
    June 4- 3 mile walk/ run with puppy
    June 5- 11 miles
    June 6- 1mile run with puppy
    June 7-6.4 miles hilly tempo
    June 8-4.3 miles + 0.7 miles with the puppy
    June 9- 3 miles solo+ 1 mile with the puppy
    June 10- 6 miles AM run

Got my run in early this morning while it was still very beautiful out. Good thing too because it looks like the rain has set in for the day. Hard to get motivated to go out in the rain, even though I actually like it when it starts raining while I am running. Leg were heavy this morning though. Had a few fast runs this week and have been doing lots of squats and lunges. It was my slowest run in a long time, but I enjoyed the nice, easy pace.

@MNLittleFinn - Good luck this weekend!
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/6: 4.5 Miles
    3/6: 3.4 Miles
    5/6: 3.7 Miles
    6/6: 3.4 Miles
    8/6: 3.7 Miles
    10/6: 5.0 Miles

exercise.png
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    6/1 - 5.11 miles on National / Global Running Day! Woot!
    6/2 - 4.55 miles. Gorgeous morning!
    6/3 - Pre-HM rest day. Too bad, it is a beautiful morning! So, I am drinking extra water and I ate donuts!
    6/4 - 13.3 miles at Dam to Dam Half. It was sunny and hot. Sun was brutal. Running was pretty good, but my splits went up gradually over the final 4 miles. Atmosphere was good pre and post-race. Had fun!
    6/5 - Rest day + lots of kids' sports.
    6/6 - 4.01 mile "recovery" run. I am not good at intentionally keeping my pace slow. I intended 9-9.5 minute miles.
    6/7 - 5.35 miles. Longer than intended, because I didn't plan my route and had to get back home. Oh well, bonus 0.85 mile.
    6/8 - 3.3 miles on treadmill, then upper body weights and abs.
    6/9 - 4.5 miles on treadmill (Trek class). Cut it a bit short as a pain in my "hip" was causing me to alter my stride. Not sure where it came from, hoping it was just sore.
    6/10 - 3.78 miles in the hot, humid weather. It was 73° at 5 a.m.! Again, shortened due to hip pain. Dr. Google says it might be greater trochanteric bursitis. Anti-inflammatories, extra ITB and hammy stretches and a reduction in mileage are in order.

exercise.png

@skippygirlsmom - Rest days are a good thing! Also, my daughter does that sort of ab stuff too! One good workout and <pop> out come the abs.
    @greenolivetree - LOL re. birds! That sucks, but it made me laugh!
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @instantmartian my RoadID is my watch strap. Pretty much covers it.
    When we first moved to Germany, my bikes each had RoadID straps as did my kids shoe's.
    Allergies. Contact info. Languages. Rare blood agglutinates.

Probably overkill. :smile:

Definitely not overkill as far as I'm concerned! That's a great idea using it for a watch strap!

shanaber wrote: »
    @instantmartian - I have multiple Road Ids that connect with velcro to my running shoes. I have finally stopped carrying Id with me, however I do have an extra copy of my drivers license (long story) that I do carry on occasion.
    Sometimes, it's nice to know I'm not insane...and if I am, at least there are others in this world just as crazy as I am. :wink:

Well I work Midnight's and run at work before the start of my shift. I hit a good mark with my weight loss. On December 4th the day I Overdosed I weighed myself I weighed 334 lbs after I ended up in rehab I dedicated myself to getting healthy in every aspect including physical. I set a goal for my birthday to lose between 60 to 80 lbs by July 21st. Yesterday morning I hit the 60lb mark weighing in at 274lbs. Now to see how much of the other 20lbs I can get. I had a great run yesterday back on the treadmill for 1 3/4 miles to get my monthly total to 7 3/4 miles so far.
    Congratulations and best of luck with everything!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    today is filled with an easy walk, hydrating, loading up on electrolytes and rest before tomorrow's race.

Question for all you who have raced before. Tomorrow is supposed to be 75 and sunny with 80% humidity when I'm running. They have a water station at the halfway point of the race. I haven't run in this temp before, as it's been cooler than this all spring and into summer. Question is. Is getting well hydrated ahead of time and using the water station enough, or should I bring my little 10oz water bottle with too?
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I am more than happy to have y'all laugh at my expense :smiley: I'm just glad it hit me from the belly down and didn't land in my ponytail. It's a miracle I've passed under this tree so many times before getting hit because the whole trail section there is covered in poop at all times. And it's always the purple poop. Must be some berry-loving birds that live in that tree???

@bradboughner5 Great job on the 2 miles!

@MNLittleFinn I'm no racer but I'd take the water if you're not used to those temps. If nothing else, you can cool off with it. Or drink from your bottle and cool off with the water from the station. LOL One of my recent 10k runs was hot and humid and I stopped halfway in a trail bathroom and was throwing water all over myself to cool off :blush:

• lporter229
    Options
    @bradboughner5 -Great job on the 2 miles. And thanks for sharing your story. Very inspiring.

@ceciliaslater- Glad to see you are on the mend. I know it's frustrating, but slow and easy is the way to recovery.

@MNLittleFinn- I don't think it can hurt to take it. It shouldn't slow you down much to carry it, but if there is only one water stop, that might be a bit of a traffic jam, so having your own hydration could come in handy.

@greenolivetree- Yuck! I'm not sure if you were around for my goose story, but I can certainly commiserate.
  • MNLittleFinn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @greenolivetree. I have my 10oz packed for the trip, and my tube of NUUN as well, so I might just bring it with...it's not like I'll be missing out on placing by adding the extra weight...winners last year ran it in half the time I can do....

@lporter229 great point on the possible traffic jam at the water stop. It's a small race, but ya never know how busy that one stop could be....and like I said, it's not like I'm fast enough to place...too bad....the winners in the AGs get home made pie...
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Crazy busy here, but I've at least had a few minutes to read through the posts. I'm thinking of all y'all who are struggling with injuries and surgeries and pooperies! Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!

I rested yesterday (just took a walk with the hubby and the pup) and got 4.25 miles before lunch today. I took the "all-uphill" side of my small lake run, and that plus the heat and some really stiff muscles kept me slower than I'd like, but I felt good by the end. Tomorrow will be a short run if I get one in; then I'm supposed to run a 5K with my 9 year old son on Sunday. Sadly, I had to go pick him up at school with a fever of 102 this afternoon, though, so I don't know if he'll be joining me or not. :(

exercise.png
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    3.3 miles today, rocking out to 70s punk and 80s hair bands.

My left knee is starting to get stiff after I run. It doesn't hurt while I'm running, but afterwards it'll stiffen up, especially if I'm sitting down. Will have to look into this further, as it may mean there's something off in my form. Or maybe it's just 'cause I'm fat.

Halfway there already, woohoo!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    then I'm supposed to run a 5K with my 9 year old son on Sunday. Sadly, I had to go pick him up at school with a fever of 102 this afternoon, though, so I don't know if he'll be joining me or not. :(

[/url]

@5beautifuldays I hope he feels better
    @greenolivetree I've had more seagulls crap on me while I'm laying on the beach over the years LOL So I can feel your pain. They always seem to do it when I'm laying on my stomach so they get my back ugh!
    @mnlittlefinn for the reasons mentioned above I would take the water bottle, 1 stop in a 10K seems to me not to be enough, lots of people will be looking for at least 2. I usually don't take water when I'm running that distance, but never hurts.
  • glitterrainn
    glitterrainn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    6/1; 2.10
    6/3; 1.01
    6/7; 1.23
    6/8; 1.02

Total; 5.36.

exercise.png

Upcoming races;

6/25; Dirty Dash
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom thanks for the input. I've never taken water on a run shorter than 12 miles....That said, I've never run in heaat over 60 degrees. I think I will bring it with.....it's an extra little weight, but it also means that I can water up when I want, instead of waiting for the water station around mile 3.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    OMG @MNLittleFinn have a great race!!! I'll be cheering for you in spirit. :smile: