exercise.png

• 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• 1TheQueenB
    Options
    Ok, starting today, just wanted to try out this ticker thing :)
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @shanaber great ideas for dog running! I'll definitely have to give the Kurgo waist leash a try.
    @Iporter229 puppies! I think they are just all over the place. Patience and practice...patience and practice...I'm still telling myself that with Pandora too
    @skippygirlsmom yeah, we've had a few narrow misses with squirrels and trees :wink:
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn Good luck! Can't wait to hear the race report :smile:
    @mbaker566 Ow! That sounds like a terrible place to get a bee sting.
    @greenolivetree Aww - bird poo! Gross.
    @bradboughner5 Good for you on the 2 miles! Yay!
    @skippygirlsmom "Momma I may never walk again" Ha! Jealous of the instant abs tho :wink: I think for any of us passed 30 instant abs are a thing of the past....I think I get instant flab tho...
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom thanks for the input. I've never taken water on a run shorter than 12 miles....That said, I've never run in heaat over 60 degrees. I think I will bring it with.....it's an extra little weight, but it also means that I can water up when I want, instead of waiting for the water station around mile 3.

Definitely carry your own water. Lots of reasons.

You will have it with you when you need a drink and you're not at an aid station.

You will have water if the aid station runs out (rare) or is too crowded (can happen).

If you're familiar with Nuun and tolerate it well, and you carry Nuun, you have electrolytes that won't give you problems. If the race is giving out some brand you've never used, you could have an unpleasant surprise. One reason I like a hydration belt better than a backpack is that two bottles let me carry Nuun *and* water.

In a longer race, when you take a gel you will have water to chase it even if the time to take the gel doesn't come at an aid station.

You will have water that you know how to drink. It takes practice to learn to drink from a wax paper cup while running, and it's harder at faster paces.

You will have water if it turns out the heat is a bigger deal than you projected it to be. Since you have never run in this temperature before, this is possible.

The argument against carrying water is that it's excess weight and it slows you down. My counter-argument in favor is that I lose more time getting water from an aid station at race pace than I do drinking on the run from my own bottle.

THBS, I can drink from the aid stations pretty well in a marathon, and kind of okay in a half marathon. In a faster race, I just plain suck at drinking from the wax paper cup. A year or so ago, I started leaving my hydration belt in the car for a 5K; after all, how dehydrated can I get in 20 minutes? Did that with a 5 mile race, didn't take water at the turnaround, and regretted not carrying it in the last 2 miles. This was in mid-March, in nice running weather. I survived, I had a good result, but I would have been more comfortable if I'd had my water bottle. Next year, I'll wear the hydration belt for that race, and I won't care if other runners sneer at me for carrying water in a race that's only 5 miles long.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @mobycarp thanks for the awesome advice. I just started using NUUN tabs. I'll drop one in my bottle and take it tomorrow.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your race @MNLittleFinn!

I usually do my long run on Saturday mornings with my running group, but I'll be leaving to visit family tomorrow in the hot and steamy midwest so I wanted to get it done today. My long run is currently 60 minutes and I got in 5 miles. I definitely felt tired from all the running earlier in the week so I'm ready for a rest day tomorrow. Hopefully I don't have to do any unexpected airport running.

Miles this week: 15.1
    Miles for June:

exercise.png
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    My goal is 80km!

2nd - 8km
    4th - 5km (parkrun, 26:21) new PB by 1min 35seconds! :smiley:
    6th - 4km
    8th - 8km
    9th - 3km My first social run with a friend! We ran faster than I normally do.
    11th - 5km Started enjoying it after 4km. Took my camelbak for my shopping bags and wallet and walked back via the shops, worked well.

33/80km so far

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Just 9 miles with a few friends this afternoon.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles
    6/10 - 9 miles

Total: 79 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 121 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5

@mnlittlefinn - Good luck on your race. Go kick some kittens'. RE: Drinking - I've become comfortable with the sensation of self-waterboarding while drinking from aid stations at marathons/halfs - as the process becomes slightly more tolerable once I figured out how to crease/fold the side of the cup and drink out of the created corner along the side of my mouth. Still, I can definitely respect folks who've figured out better solutions. I've also seen some fellow runners with pop-off tops on their own water bottles who just do a quick cup to bottle transfer of water/gatorade, then sip in a more civilized way.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @lporter229 - it is good to reward the actions you want so if you treat while they are walking (running) at your side - not pulling or lagging behind, they will quickly get the idea. I taught him 'look' right away to get his attention - I say look and if he looks even a little he gets a treat. I used that when we were walking initially to draw his attention to me and away from what he wants to sniff. I also have taught him 'leave it' which is invaluable if there is something (horse poop) that I don't want him to eat or mess with. Any behavior that is positive - looking at me, stopping sniffing, staying at my side, stopping with me, etc. got a treat. Now he rarely needs a 'look' command but will still respond to it. A lot of this is from the basic obedience class and is paying off in the Rally class we are doing where his focus has to be on me to know what the next action is and of course there are lots of treats involved :)

@skippygirlsmom - I did not feel the earthquake but it woke my husband up. I am pretty sure the house could fall down around me and I would still go on sleeping :) Tell Skip I want instant ABS too! Don't think that will ever happen at this point in my life! I am pretty sure our trainers all want us to feel like we may never walk again - that way we know we got in a good workout :)

I ran late today and it was wonderful! Just under 7 miles and no significant back pain. It wasn't 100% but certainly better and no spasms during or after! I am going to try to run my virtual HM tomorrow morning early as I have a massage schedule in the afternoon - yay!! I will post miles tomorrow! Have a great weekend everyone!
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Group time trial today. Tried to do my 5k PR and do an actuall progression on slits. Progression went fine (4:38, 4:26, 4:23, 4:23, 4:13) but not as good as I hoped. Last two were supposed to be 4:00 and under 4 but guess I estimated wrong. Didn't beat my pr but came close to it at a 22:14. The interesting part is my heart rate with a peak of 198 during last kick. So long to the 220-age formula.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - Rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13
    June 8 - 6.8 km - 148/6:11 (Hot)
    June 9 - 5.8 km - 150/5:58
    June 10 - rest
    June 11 - 5.0 km - 184/4:26

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • 1TheQueenB
    Options

exercise.png

Good start...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

Hi, My name is Beatrice and I am a stay at home mom to a 3 year old boy. You would think I run enough with him but nope. I am very new to running and exercising in general but so I am trying to stay motivated and on track towards my fitness goals. I have a Fitbit that has kept me on track and keeps me motivated, but I think this running group will help so much more. Any tips for a newbie to the fitness world? Any advice? Thanks!!

Don't give up , take rest days, listen to your body, and run slow. Check in here often for support and camaraderie