Aldi's?

Options

Replies

• Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Their face creams are good, and cheap.

I gave Aldi yet another shot the other day. I left with my face cream, butter and eggs (which are microscopically small), and that's it. Nothing much else appealed to me, other than the fruit and veg which was marginally cheaper than my regular grocery store. I only buy meat from a butcher, so didn't check out their meat section.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm a grocery store snob :worried:

I gave Aldi yet another shot the other day. I left with my face cream, butter and eggs (which are microscopically small), and that's it. Nothing much else appealed to me, other than the fruit and veg which was marginally cheaper than my regular grocery store. I only buy meat from a butcher, so didn't check out their meat section.

Haha, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I will have to check out their face cream! You have beautiful skin! Is it a certain brand that they sell? Do you use any other product besides what you buy from Aldi?

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I went once and probably won't go again, lol. Produce wasn't cheaper and was average quality, selection was poor, and everything else looked like cheap knock-offs!

I admit I'm puzzled by all the Aldi's love.

Maybe that's your Aldi's. *shrug*

The one close to me is great and the selection was abundant.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Prolly are.
  • Oskrmike74
    Oskrmike74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I need to re-visit my local Aldi. Just getting back to a healthy diet and need to check out yogurt, etc. Thank you all for spiking my interest in saving money on my healthy food choices.
  • aimez23
    aimez23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm a fairly minimalist shopper, but I go to Aldi for a lot of my basics.

Baby carrots
    Mushrooms
    Avocado
    Cauliflower
    Fresh green beans
    Brussels sprouts
    Berries
    Kiwi
    Protein snack bars
    Eggs
    Coffee creamer
    String cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Sandwich slims
    Canned beans
    Canned tomatoes
    And whatever else looks good for the week

Thanks so much! Would you say their Greek yogurt is as good/ healthy as Fage which is my favorite? It's just so darn expensive so I am trying to find a cheaper version of Fage...

I didn't realize there would be a quiz at the end. I should have studied harder! To answer you, though, Fage isn't my preferred brand of Greek yogurt, so I'm the wrong person to ask how they compare.

Lol! No quiz just wondering :smile:

It's not from aldi but have you tried Arla Skyr natural? It's available in asda tesco etc and it's much cheaper then fage and the most similar consistency I've come across, lovely and thick not runny at all. Similar macronutrients values to the 0% :)
  • Lioness_007
    Lioness_007 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Olives. I love them!
  • aimez23
    aimez23 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Regarding my last comment that's for the Uk sorry I just saw a couple more comments and think I may have missed part of the thread
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I don't get many opportunities to go to Aldis, none really near me, but I like their black bean salsa and their pay for plastic bags policy.

I'm not familiar with their plastic bag policy... someone fill me in. Only been there one time but plan to go today after my Workout. It's only a few blocks from that Y.

Mine doesn't even have bags, and I forgot mine in the car, so I ended up carrying my stuff in my arms. Awkward.

The boxes are a bonus if you have cats, too.

I literally laughed out loud with that statement! This is so true!

The furry beasts are quite content when I come home from shopping at Aldi.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I don't get many opportunities to go to Aldis, none really near me, but I like their black bean salsa and their pay for plastic bags policy.

I'm not familiar with their plastic bag policy... someone fill me in. Only been there one time but plan to go today after my Workout. It's only a few blocks from that Y.

Mine doesn't even have bags, and I forgot mine in the car, so I ended up carrying my stuff in my arms. Awkward.

Wait, wait, wait... no one has taught you the trick of looking for boxes on the shelves that you can empty of whatever few remaining items, and use the box to cart your groceries home in? Your fellow local Aldi shoppers have failed you. (half the fun of shopping there, I swear, is noticing someone who doesn't know all the tricks yet, and teaching them the ropes. It's right up there with parking right next to someone who is almost finished loading their car, so you can hand 'em a quarter and make off with the cart when they are done.)

The boxes are a bonus if you have cats, too.

OH! So this explains the odd guarded look I got from a women when I offered to take her cart back when I was getting out my car. I saw her taking it back and thought I was being helpful. HA HA HA I never thought about her thinking I was looking to steal her quarter! Oh OK, so I hand a quarter to someone and then I can offer to take the cart. Yes she did turn me down and took it in herself.. ;)

OK, yes, I have not been offered tips from long time Aldi regulars... what's this world coming too! :laugh:
    Well, OK I have only been one time and plan to go back just haven't yet.. boxes for cats... love it and plan to get one next time!

Thanks for all the tips you Aldi Veteran you!! :D@WindSparrow
  • TashiBlue
    TashiBlue Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi (here in the UK) and get prob 99% of my shopping there with the exception of Shampoo, some bread and honey. My favorites are the pre wrapped rice cakes, frozen pizza (1/2 a pizza for <350cal yes please) and choc buttons.

A new item that I adore though is the Mini Roule With Pineapple and Almond. Its 100cal for 30g and approx £1.80ish but its worth it! A little goes a long way and its very rich. I will have to get more before they change again as some things don't stay for very long.
  • WindSparrow
    WindSparrow Posts: 224 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips you Aldi Veteran you!! :D@WindSparrow

My pleasure! I do so much of my shopping at Aldi that I look for purses that have enough compartments and pockets have one little pocket specifically to keep a quarter in so I always have it ready. You should have seen my cranky face the day I fumbled putting my quarter into its little zipper pocket and it fell into the depths of my car :cold_sweat:

Sometimes it is fun to leave the quarter in the cart on purpose, as a tiny little gift for the next person. In this ugly old world, sometimes little smiles mean a lot.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Haha, I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I will have to check out their face cream! You have beautiful skin! Is it a certain brand that they sell? Do you use any other product besides what you buy from Aldi?

:blush:

I'm in Australia, so not sure if we all have the same stuff. I use"Lacura renew expert day cream". I make my own face/body scrub made out of a mix of coconut oil and sugar which i use everyday, other than that I don't use anything.
    I don't know if it makes a difference but i have never, ever worn foundation or powder or anything like that, I can't stand the feel of it on my face.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I'm in Australia, so not sure if we all have the same stuff. I use"Lacura renew expert day cream". I make my own face/body scrub made out of a mix of coconut oil and sugar which i use everyday, other than that I don't use anything.
    I don't know if it makes a difference but i have never, ever worn foundation or powder or anything like that, I can't stand the feel of it on my face.

That's great! You look beautiful without makeup! Must be Australia and good genes. :smile:
    I just found the Lacura renew day cream and night cream at our Aldi's here in the US. Yay! Can't wait to try it and maybe I too, can have beautiful skin like you!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That's great! You look beautiful without makeup! Must be Australia and good genes. :smile:
    I just found the Lacura renew day cream and night cream at our Aldi's here in the US. Yay! Can't wait to try it and maybe I too, can have beautiful skin like you!

You are too kind, thankyou for the compliment sweet girl :heart:

• chevrolegs85
    chevrolegs85 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aldi is the best. I go there before anywhere else. Then to the regular grocery store. Pretty much get all my veggies and fruit and cheese and eggs there.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    mangoes
    blueberries
    strawberries
    avocados
    almonds
    cashews
    salsa
    salmon