Ice Cream alternatives?

Options
stevidaft
stevidaft Posts: 1 Member
Hello! Im doing pretty great eating clean EXCEPT ICE CREAM is my kryptonite! I reach for the pint a couple times a week and its undoing my progress. Any alts for ice cream you guys have? I've been trying frozen banana recipes, but haven't quite come across something that gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from ice cream. Ha!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Dole makes those frozen fruit tidbits .. pineapple, banana and strawberries dipped in dark chocolate. If you do protein powder you can make protein ice cream. And instead of ice cream I bought Poppies mini Chocolate Eclairs (thaw then eat) this time a round.. they are yummy.
  • ObsidianMist
    ObsidianMist Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I found an amazing triple berry sorbet that's only 60 calories for a half cup serving. and SO DELICIOUS
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Frozen grapes
    Or frozen bananna freeze w no peel, slice and eat
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt, it's in the ice cream section
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »
    Frozen yogurt, it's in the ice cream section
    Frozen yogurt is a good idea, so are fruit sorbets, but I'm betting it's the creaminess of ice cream that you are missing and not the sweetness?
    Are you eating low fat yogurt and skimmed milk? I find these have a disastrous effect in my dieting because I don't get enough fats. Try switching to full fat milk and yogurt.
    You can make your own ice cream, using natural ingredients. Don't put so much sugar in as the recipe suggests. You can also substitute cream for yogurt, or Petit Suisse cheese which is naturally lower in fat than cream.
    Not all bought ice creams are equal.
    If you buy ice cream, buy a small cornet of the soft ice cream (Mr Whippy) it's called in the UK. You can't binge because you can't take it home with you!
    Avoid ice cream that is made with animal fats. In the UK Walls ice cream is (I think) made as a bi-product of sausage production. It's packed with pig fat.
    Don't go for exotic flavours - you'll just be eating more sugar. Buy vanilla and add your own. 10gms 85% dark chocolate grated on top of a small portion of home made vanilla ice cream = calorie controlled heaven.
    Good luck.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    gelato is often lower calorie as well

one of things i did was freeze the yoplait whips and that got me thru when i was not eating ice cream

now i just include it in my calories for the day.

frozen bananas do not do it for me
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Look up halo top ice cream, artic zero, or enlightened bars. The best by far is halo top though!

^^ This. I go though a half-pint to a pint of AZ or Halo Top per day. Love the mint fudge Enlightened bars are well. For an extra extra special treat, I buy Dove Chocolate covered strawberry gelato bars. 150 calories per bar.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I've also made chocolate protein pudding and put in cut up strawberries and froze.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    whipped cream! I too love ice cream and I have started having tiny little bowls of it with a whole lot of whipped cream. it looks decadent, tastes great, and has fewer calories. Try putting some in a bowl, add a little chocolate syrup, and dip fruit in it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    An alternative that can be frozen: protein fluff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR3Z028prSU

ETA: Whelp, feel free to ignore the freezing suggestion; after looking at the comments, it doesn't freeze well. But, you can mix in frozen fruit and is supposedly more like ice cream.

ETA further: and I just realized this was @vismal video.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Blue Bunny & Breyer's both make sugar free ice creams. Bryer's makes a carb smart ice cream that has less calories as well.

Arctic Zero and Halo Top are good, but super expensive.
  • Beautyinthemoonlight
    Beautyinthemoonlight Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Homemade sorbets or ice poles are easy to make and are low in calories. There are plenty of recipes on the Internet or just make one up with any fruit you like (a few mint leaves if you desire).

If you don't want to make your own 'Weis' minis (mango flavour) are under 60 calories each.
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    There is really no substitute. Ice cream is my kryponite as well.. Only thing that works for me to control it is buying individually portioned ice cream bars/ice cream sandwiches, and having 1 for dessert (then immediately brushing my teeth). Generally 150-200 calories. Much better than keeping something I can spoon from around- because that makes it 99% likely I will have more than 1 serving.