Can't seem to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Ditto on trying to get some protein and fat in that diet. Can you do eggs?
    Do you know what's exactly causing your stomach problems? Like, just had a friend learn she was allergic to corn, which is in everything. Knowing would help expand your diet because currently it seems kind of limiting and if it's not filling you up properly or losing you weight might be time to experiment in the kitchen.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other folks here.

I 'eat clean' and couldn't understand why I wasn't losing weight with such a careful diet and exercise. Turned out my portion sizes were bigger than I realised and I genuinely had no idea what my calorie intake was. Sadly, after years of various diets I have finally realised that the ONLY way to lose weight is to know what my base metabolic rate is, so that I know how many calories I should be eating. To lose 1lb a week I need to be in 500 calorie deficit a day. Now I am properly tracking my food I know what my calorie in take it, I don't go hungry because I choose foods that fill me up - like protein. Plus I exercise - that does make a difference.
  • Shazr2
    Shazr2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    aocix wrote: »
    i just logged my usual day and its only 1k calories

How can you log you day when you don't know the weights of food you are consuming? You can't.

• Shazr2
    Shazr2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    just to satisfy you all i will prove that i'm not over eating by measuring everything tomorrow
    http://i.imgur.com/QYrwxNO.png imagine this bowl, i have it half full with porridge or oats, and i never finish eating it that is not 600calories

Instead of half filling it with porridge or oats, weigh it instead. And what you having with it? Milk, water, fruit, yoghurt? Until you buy a scale there is no way what you are logging is right.
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I thought I was eating a normal amount when I started putting weight back on after I lost some. bought a scale and found out I was overeating everything. even packaged foods can be off by a good bit.

This.

When I first starting using MFP I would just choose the items in the food bank for my diary. It took me about 5 months to lose 10 pounds. I think its because I didn't weigh everything. I just assumed. I used to only weigh meat, chips, other things that measured by ounces. I would use measuring cups for cereal, rice, etc. I still use measuring cups for many cooked things. I use the scale for dry pasta.

To weigh or not to weigh was also an issue for me and I never considered it a big deal or major factor in loosing, but I realized it was, with potatoes. I would select the default medium potato option. It has a 'med' potato ranging from 110-150 calories. I decided to listen to MFP people and start weighing everything. But I never weighed potatoes or other 'single serve' items I could 'eyeball'. Well, I decided to weigh my 'medium' potato by grams and sure enough it wasn't medium at all. After weighing my 28 gram potato, I realized that the caloric damage was actually 260-280 calories. 100-150 calories is a big difference. If someone is doing this all day, that adds up.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Deleted
  • k_nelson_24
    k_nelson_24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    how could i be over eating when
    07:30 breakfast- Oatmeal or porridge Sometimes i dont even finish the bowl which is never full from the begening
    10:30 snack- Banana smoothie or a fruit banana smoothie only has 2-3 bananas
    13:00 lunch- vegetables or a sandwich or Salad vegetables are good eitherway, which i put in a lunch box which is a normal lunch box
    15:00 Snack- a fruit or usually skip this snack
    18:00 Dinner- Pasta or steamed vegetables or fish or a sandwich i usually measure the pasta by cups which i only use a lil bit more than half of cup, and if i would be eating steamed vegetables it wouldn't gain too much weight from a plate of steamed vegetables, and steamed is digested faster than raw anyway

i do assume this is a normal amount for a person who works 8 hrs which includes constant lifting/ moving/walking in a fast pace

one banana alone is over 100 calories at LEAST. It seems to me that you are eating at maintenance calories.
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    07:30 breakfast- Oatmeal or porridge Sometimes i dont even finish the bowl which is never full from the begening
    13:00 lunch- vegetables or a sandwich or Salad vegetables are good eitherway, which i put in a lunch box which is a normal lunch box
    18:00 Dinner- Pasta or steamed vegetables or fish or a sandwich i usually measure the pasta by cups which i only use a lil bit more than half of cup, and if i would be eating steamed vegetables it wouldn't gain too much weight from a plate of steamed vegetables, and steamed is digested faster than raw anyway

i do assume this is a normal amount for a person who works 8 hrs which includes constant lifting/ moving/walking in a fast pace

It's just maths and science really. Eat too much, we gain, eat just enough, we maintain, eat too little, we lose.

Your fruit smoothie for example, 1 banana can have 140 calories, 2-3 3-400 calories. That's a lot and that's before you even add in anything else like yoghurt, milk, other fruit.

Porridge? I have what would look like a small bowl, I use like an ice cream dish and it's only half full, that's a 250 calorie serving. I suspect you;re eating more than that. In just those two items you are clocking up nearly 700 calories. No lunch, no snack, no dinner even considered yet.

You need to work out accurately exactly how much you are consuming because right now you have no idea. Generally, people with weight to lose don't really know what a normal portion looks like (and I include myself in that statement).

i eat 200calories from the porridge im in a hurry so i only take maybe 10 small spoons of it and leave. the banana smoothie is probably the only thing that fills me up throught the day and i dont add any other fruits just banana and water

10 small spoons? You have absolutely no way of knowing if that is 200 calories.

But that's still 600 calories before lunch. A sandwich can easily be 3-400 calories (and that's on the low side if you add butter, mayo, cheese), another banana for a snack 100 so now we're up to 1100 calories before we go into dinner. That's all conservative estimates too.

Fact is, if you are not losing weight you are eating too much. If you don't want to hear this then carry on as you are not losing weight.

I agree with this. ^
  • k_nelson_24
    Options
    As i have mentioned before i work 8hrs? i dont stop from moving, this feels like an 8hr workout. the only time i get to sit is when i get my lunch break

Weight loss is 80% diet. You can exercise your heart out but if you aren't at a calorie deficit then the scale won't move.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Wondering how your weighing and measuring went OP.

Wondering as well.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    darlswife wrote: »
    Wondering how your weighing and measuring went OP.

Wondering as well.

Also wondering @Aocix how the logging went? I see the last login was 6/12. Following. :sunglasses:
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    just to satisfy you all i will take pictures and scale everything i eat tomorrow just to prove that im not over eating

http://i.imgur.com/QYrwxNO.png imagine this bowl, i have it half full with porridge or oats, and i never finish eating it

Need a banana for scale. ;)
  • krubenbauer
    krubenbauer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I maybe a low carb diet would work better for you, looks like you consume a lot of carbs
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

one banana alone is over 100 calories at LEAST. It seems to me that you are eating at maintenance calories.

yep,my 140g banana was 122 calories. I know because I weighed it. all the bananas were different sizes too so that means different amounts of calories.so say 3 bananas that would be 366 calories just for the bananas
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    AuroraGeorge8393 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i dont use a food scale, i dont over eat, i eat a normal amount

Define normal.

If you are gaining weight, you are eating more calories than you are burning. It doesn't matter how normal or small your portions appear to be.

Porridge, for example, can contain a surprising number of calories. Especially, if you add butter or sugar to it. Pasta and bread may also contain quite a few calories.

As for being active, I walk around 5 to 8 miles every day, but I only started losing weight when I began counting calories and logging what I ate. A scale made this simpler for me. My Fitbit also helped.

If you are opposed to using a scale, fair enough, but so far estimating portion sizes hasn't worked for you. If it were working you would be losing weight. You need to start counting calories.

• AuroraGeorge8393
    Options

It's just maths and science really. Eat too much, we gain, eat just enough, we maintain, eat too little, we lose.

Your fruit smoothie for example, 1 banana can have 140 calories, 2-3 3-400 calories. That's a lot and that's before you even add in anything else like yoghurt, milk, other fruit.

Porridge? I have what would look like a small bowl, I use like an ice cream dish and it's only half full, that's a 250 calorie serving. I suspect you;re eating more than that. In just those two items you are clocking up nearly 700 calories. No lunch, no snack, no dinner even considered yet.

You need to work out accurately exactly how much you are consuming because right now you have no idea. Generally, people with weight to lose don't really know what a normal portion looks like (and I include myself in that statement).

i eat 200calories from the porridge im in a hurry so i only take maybe 10 small spoons of it and leave. the banana smoothie is probably the only thing that fills me up throught the day and i dont add any other fruits just banana and water

10 small spoons? You have absolutely no way of knowing if that is 200 calories.

But that's still 600 calories before lunch. A sandwich can easily be 3-400 calories (and that's on the low side if you add butter, mayo, cheese), another banana for a snack 100 so now we're up to 1100 calories before we go into dinner. That's all conservative estimates too.

Fact is, if you are not losing weight you are eating too much. If you don't want to hear this then carry on as you are not losing weight.

I can't imagine why this got flagged. It's excellent advice - and truthful. Measuring something with a spoon can prove to be wildly inaccurate.
  • AuroraGeorge8393
    Options

But how do you actually know the porridge is 200 calories? Because it says so on the box?

Just as an example, let's say 100 grams = 200 calories. You assume that 10 spoonfuls equals 100 grams. What if it actually equals 160 grams? Then you aren't eating 200 calories, you are consuming approximately 320 calories (200\100 = 2 x 160 = 320).

That 120 calorie difference may seem insignificant, but those small amounts add up overtime. It takes approximately 3500 calories to gain a pound. That's around 500 extra calories a day.