Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Options

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I lost a dramatic amount of weight quickly that time I had dysentery.

Unfortunately it didn't stay off as it was pretty much massive dehydration.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It certainly is feasible to lose over 20 lbs rapidly when in severe DKA, a life-threatening condition that leads to severe dehydration and rapid weight loss. People with this condition can lose more than 10% of their body weight in a very short period of time, which would be consistent with a greater than 20lb weight loss in an individual who weighs 200lbs. It's almost all water.
  • SuperMelinator
    SuperMelinator Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

For how long?

How long for what?

Cutting your calories down to certain levels (and logging accurately). A lot of people reduce or count calories for a couple weeks and say it doesn't work, but generally you need to allow more time than that, around two months

My calories being that low was actually unintentional. My day-to-day eating habits are pretty "routine", and I don't really do sweets just because they don't satisfy me. I started counting calories in Feb using Sparkpeople because I was trying to show someone how much I was actually eating - they thought I was probably overeating, and I told them there was no way I could be. Then I switched back and forth b/t that and MFP. I counted them probably up until May, but I intentionally increased cals during that time when I realized how low the numbers actually were. Since I increased cals, I haven't gained any weight, but I've lost 2" on my waist and dropped a couple percent of body fat (last measurement was probably 6 weeks ago tho).
  • VividVegan
    VividVegan Posts: 200 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was overweight from eating too much obviously (although back then I blamed it on birth control, meds, depression, etc). I had a fairly high body fat (DEXA scan as proof) and was very overweight. Lost a major amount of weight through CICO, however my body fat didn't decrease much (another DEXA scan confirmed this as well as my body comp). It wasn't until I began strength training and tracking macros that my body fat made a dramatic decrease while my weight barely budged (because I had already lost so much weight and adjusted to my TDEE accordingly). CICO is necessary for weight loss but for body composition it gets a bit more complicated.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Calories Out can get very complicated. If your body doesn't correctly process what you eat, because of hypothyroidism, diabetes, and other conditions, it can be important to change your macros as directed by your doctor, for example if your body does icky things with simple carbohydrates. I don't know the precise medical science but the calories out will be reduced by eating too many carbs when you have certain conditions. If you cut those down and increase protein, calories out will be much more normal. Some people haven't tested positive for a condition (yet?) but still have this kind of experience.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    ruzz3ii wrote: »
    CICO -- simple solution to a complex problem. Getting metabolism burning is more important than simply cutting calories. Otherwise, I agree that people like to make excuses.

No, it's all about calories. Your metabolism never stops burning, or you'd be dead.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I think the OP's girlfriend has a point, though.

Every BODY is arranged differently; where fat accumulates, metabolic rates, ease/difficulty in building muscle.

I naturally have an hourglass type figure. If I want to have a teeny, tiny butt, I could possibly do it, but I'd have to work REALLY REALLY hard at it...crazy strict diet, all kinds of cardio and avoid squats, lunges, etc in my lifting routine. I could theoretically shrink the size of my booty, but once I stop working so hard at it, the fat will come back in and it will resume its fullness.

But that's not an excuse for why I'm overweight. I like my butt. And I also like cheese and wine. But I do love working out, so...

Really, you just have to find a balance and decide how hard you're willing to work for the body you want. I want to lose another 10-15lbs, but I'm not willing to give up my wine and cheese altogether to get there ASAP. I'll take the baby steps :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    moe0303 wrote: »
    Wrt midwesterner85's situation, why do we assume that the cause of the anomaly falls on the CI side of the equation? While I agree that this would be a common cause, he has related that his situation is not normal. There are a number of factors on either side of the equation (besides inaccurate logging) which could cause the change he described.

Guess I just don't see how any of it matters without the relevant data.

Are you of the opinion that the situation he describes is impossible?

The possibility that something nondescript and non-specific might maybe be going on? The next step in a situation like that is to attempt to nail down and/or eliminate some possibilities. He doesn't feel comfortable progressing to that step, so like I said, I don't really see the point in continuing to theorize

Seemed pretty specific to me. He says he decreased caloric intake, according to his normal routine for measuring CI, by 500 calories and gained weight. Many seem to doubt the veracity of that statement that he decreased CI and gained weight at the same time. They seem to say that this situation would contradict the concept of CICO. I don't think that is necessarily true.

Logging details have been requested and he elected not to provide.

To be fair, we might have said that certain food combinations weren't possible to eat.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Wrt midwesterner85's situation, why do we assume that the cause of the anomaly falls on the CI side of the equation? While I agree that this would be a common cause, he has related that his situation is not normal. There are a number of factors on either side of the equation (besides inaccurate logging) which could cause the change he described.

Guess I just don't see how any of it matters without the relevant data.

Are you of the opinion that the situation he describes is impossible?

The possibility that something nondescript and non-specific might maybe be going on? The next step in a situation like that is to attempt to nail down and/or eliminate some possibilities. He doesn't feel comfortable progressing to that step, so like I said, I don't really see the point in continuing to theorize

Seemed pretty specific to me. He says he decreased caloric intake, according to his normal routine for measuring CI, by 500 calories and gained weight. Many seem to doubt the veracity of that statement that he decreased CI and gained weight at the same time. They seem to say that this situation would contradict the concept of CICO. I don't think that is necessarily true.

Logging details have been requested and he elected not to provide.

To be fair, we might have said that certain food combinations weren't possible to eat.

Like what?
  • jquizzle10
    jquizzle10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    chel325 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    GoKelsey wrote: »
    Actually, CICO doesn't work for everyone, mostly because not all calories are created equal. Per MFP, I restricted calories to 1300/day. According to MFP I should have been losing weight, but I was gaining fat in my midsection. It wasn't until I learned about a protein/fat/carb nutrition plan that I realized the CICO flaw. When you restrict calories drastically, your body may go into starvation mode and want to store fat. And since a lot of my calories at the time were just carbs (fruit, veggies, dairy, grains), there was a lot for my body to convert to fat and store. Once I increased my calorie consumption and got 40% of my calories from protein, I was able to drop the weight. I also started eating 5 smaller meals/day, which revved up my metabolism and allowed me to eat even more food without burning more calories.

As for your friend's viewpoint, it makes sense that if you continue the same eating and exercising (or sedentary) habits, your body will stay the same weight. To say that's where the body "wants to be" is a bit of a stretch. More like where that person is comfortable. And of course if you go through steps to lose weight and then go back to old habits, you'll go back to your old weight. That's just common sense.

So much fatlogic wrapped up into one block.

I can't even begin... I don't know where to start lol..

I know where to start.

CICO does work for all.
    Starvation mode doesn't exisit
    if you were gaining weight you were eating more than you thought
    timing of eating does not affect weight
    Muscle revs the metabolism

Yup, weight loss isn't about WHAT you eat rather HOW MUCH.

You can only eat twinkies but eat under your TDEE calorie amount and you will lose weight.

So, I guess you don't believe hormones have any effect on fat mass. Can you rationalize some CICO explanation for Cushing's disease, hypothyroidism, or weight gain with insulin therapy to name a few? You really think the human body is some type of bomb calorimeter? Why is it so difficult to understand that fat cells are under hormonal control?
  • jquizzle10
    jquizzle10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    jquizzle10 wrote: »
    Actually, CICO doesn't work for everyone, mostly because not all calories are created equal. Per MFP, I restricted calories to 1300/day. According to MFP I should have been losing weight, but I was gaining fat in my midsection. It wasn't until I learned about a protein/fat/carb nutrition plan that I realized the CICO flaw. When you restrict calories drastically, your body may go into starvation mode and want to store fat. And since a lot of my calories at the time were just carbs (fruit, veggies, dairy, grains), there was a lot for my body to convert to fat and store. Once I increased my calorie consumption and got 40% of my calories from protein, I was able to drop the weight. I also started eating 5 smaller meals/day, which revved up my metabolism and allowed me to eat even more food without burning more calories.

As for your friend's viewpoint, it makes sense that if you continue the same eating and exercising (or sedentary) habits, your body will stay the same weight. To say that's where the body "wants to be" is a bit of a stretch. More like where that person is comfortable. And of course if you go through steps to lose weight and then go back to old habits, you'll go back to your old weight. That's just common sense.

I know where to start.

CICO does work for all.

You can only eat twinkies but eat under your TDEE calorie amount and you will lose weight.

So, I guess you don't believe hormones have any effect on fat mass. Can you rationalize some CICO explanation for Cushing's disease, hypothyroidism, or weight gain with insulin therapy to name a few? You really think the human body is some type of bomb calorimeter? Why is it so difficult to understand that fat cells are under hormonal control?

This still doesn't negate CICO. Your hormones being out of whack somehow will impact the CO side of the equation, and your diet can affect your hormones. CICO still applies, but models based on averages, where average is a person with no medical/hormonal issues, will not give a good estimation of CO.

Of course energy balance plays some role, but a minor one overall. The hormonal response to the types of foods you consume and your lifestyle is of overriding importance. Calorie restriction in the long term is not sustainable and uncomfortable for many, especially if those foods you consume stimulate those fat storing hormones and hunger.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

I know where to start.

CICO does work for all.

This still doesn't negate CICO. Your hormones being out of whack somehow will impact the CO side of the equation, and your diet can affect your hormones. CICO still applies, but models based on averages, where average is a person with no medical/hormonal issues, will not give a good estimation of CO.

Of course energy balance plays some role, but a minor one overall. The hormonal response to the types of foods you consume and your lifestyle is of overriding importance. Calorie restriction in the long term is not sustainable and uncomfortable for many, especially if those foods you consume stimulate those fat storing hormones and hunger.

Are you trying to say that some people simply cannot lose weight?