Where did it go? How do I rebuild confidence?

Options
13»

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would structure a program that has you starting out at quite low intensity and gradually building both intensity and work capacity over time (probably work capacity first for a couple of weeks at least, while you get acclimated to executing the motor patterns needed to move the barbell).

I would do it this way because it wouldn't ALLOW YOU to fail. The program would force you to take it easy (which you should right now) and it would have you continually making slight improvements.

Not only would this be beneficial physiologically as you reacquire lost adaptations, but you'll mentally benefit. Each time you leave the gym you'll feel like you executed everything well and you won't have had a situation where you had to grind out an ugly rep at a weight you used to lift easy.
  • m0nsterdad
    m0nsterdad Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yet again so much amazing advise!
    I actually have been watching motivational videos on YouTube, TedX is amazing for that!
    Well...I forced myself off the couch and even though this time I drove, I still made it to the gym. I did what SideSteel recommended and started off with low intensity but put my ALL into it and fueled my workout with my stress and frustration and all I can say is I feel GREAT! Anyone that sits and thinks or puts off going to the gym must understand that the reward definitely is worth far more than the effort! Plus it makes you feel human again! You're out there, you're doing something and being among the living! I even went shopping at a farmers market after, just because I didn't WANT to go home yet! And plus you get to say, "I went to the gym today!", it totally helped clear my head!
    Thank you everyone for caring!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    m0nsterdad wrote: »
    Yet again so much amazing advise!
    I actually have been watching motivational videos on YouTube, TedX is amazing for that!
    Well...I forced myself off the couch and even though this time I drove, I still made it to the gym. I did what SideSteel recommended and started off with low intensity but put my ALL into it and fueled my workout with my stress and frustration and all I can say is I feel GREAT! Anyone that sits and thinks or puts off going to the gym must understand that the reward definitely is worth far more than the effort! Plus it makes you feel human again! You're out there, you're doing something and being among the living! I even went shopping at a farmers market after, just because I didn't WANT to go home yet! And plus you get to say, "I went to the gym today!", it totally helped clear my head!
    Thank you everyone for caring!
    @m0nsterdad

I do hope you realize how much your thread will help so many others on this site who are also struggling.
    We all have our tough times here and there. But to hear you used your frustration and stress as a fuel starter is simply amazing! I'll have to keep that trick in mind!

Sidesteel is full of awesome advice, I'm glad He chimed in...sounds like He gave you some good tips. Even better sounds like you blasted through a great workout today!!! :smiley:

Bookmark this thread (click the star, upper right hand corner) and reread it anytime you need to be pumped up.
    So glad you posted.. it definitely helped me get outside of my own head.

Cheers to a new and stronger you.. Dad 2.0+ :wink:
    Great job on getting that workout in today!!
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    I do hope you realize how much your thread will help so many others on this site who are also struggling.
    We all have our tough times here and there. But to hear you used your frustration and stress as a fuel starter is simply amazing! I'll have to keep that trick in mind!

Sidesteel is full of awesome advice, I'm glad He chimed in...sounds like He gave you some good tips. Even better sounds like you blasted through a great workout today!!! :smiley:

Bookmark this thread (click the star, upper right hand corner) and reread it anytime you need to be pumped up.

Thank you so much again! I hope it does help others, it's already helped me tremendously! I still have my struggles but now I can just pull up this thread and it helps me work through them knowing I've got support and people behind me!
    I'm actually going right now to see an artist about designing me a new tattoo to symbolize this NEW chapter in my life, so every time I look at it, it'll remind me of what I'm doing and why!
  • AlyssaAnne03
    AlyssaAnne03 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Thank you so much again! I hope it does help others, it's already helped me tremendously! I still have my struggles but now I can just pull up this thread and it helps me work through them knowing I've got support and people behind me!
    I'm actually going right now to see an artist about designing me a new tattoo to symbolize this NEW chapter in my life, so every time I look at it, it'll remind me of what I'm doing and why!

That's awesome! I want to get another tattoo once I reach my goal. A reward sort of :)
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I worked out with a certified fitness trainer a few months ago. When I asked him how to stay motivated, this was his response. "Motivation comes and goes. Dedication is what bridges the gap. Pain is the glue of transformation. Just be relentless with effort and the outcome will be a positive one."
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    I worked out with a certified fitness trainer a few months ago. When I asked him how to stay motivated, this was his response. "Motivation comes and goes. Dedication is what bridges the gap. Pain is the glue of transformation. Just be relentless with effort and the outcome will be a positive one."

That's an amazing saying, definitely going to file that one away! Up until now the nerd in me just kept repeating today in my head saying "Do, or do not. There is no try." And to a lesser extent Mr. Myagi saying, "Walk on road, hmmm. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, get squish, just like grape."
    Wow, I guess I completely just showed my age there! Lol
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    That's an amazing saying, definitely going to file that one away! Up until now the nerd in me just kept repeating today in my head saying "Do, or do not. There is no try." And to a lesser extent Mr. Myagi saying, "Walk on road, hmmm. Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, get squish, just like grape."
    Wow, I guess I completely just showed my age there! Lol

Oops, that should have been Yoda, not "today", dam auto correct! Lol
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

That's awesome! I want to get another tattoo once I reach my goal. A reward sort of :)

I wanna get my first once I reach my goal!! I've been thinking the same...a bit of a reward for reaching it.
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    I learned a valuable lesson today...
    Too much motivation can be a bad thing. I wasn't really feeling it today, so I forced myself into the mindset, siked myself up, walked into the gym like I owned it and my über motivation caused me to push myself so hard I got nauseous and had to make a mad dash to the bathroom....just made it!
    I'm just glad that's all that happened and I didn't pull or tear something.
    (Note to self)
    Your threshold isn't the same as it was before!
  • crystale79
    crystale79 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's really hard when you experience setbacks...especially emotional ones. I lost 70 lbs, then I had to close my Daycare that I owned. It was like losing my own children. I went through a deep depression and gained 30-35 back. It was really hard to lose weight after that. I lost another 10 lbs but I yo-yo ed a lot over the 2.5 years following that. Over the past 3 months I had a really crazy work schedule, I ended up gaining 20 lbs during those 3 months! I've been very depressed since then, but I know that I've done it before and I can do it again. I'm a workout fanatic, but I really get tested with the nutrition end. I just started taking it one day at a time and one meal at a time. I started asking everyone that I felt could understand my weight loss battle for help with accountability and I help them as well. Checking in on each other's workouts and what we are eating really helps. They always have kind words of encouragement too. Feel free to friend me if you need help. Remember you've done this before and you CAN do this again.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    I learned a valuable lesson today...
    Too much motivation can be a bad thing. I wasn't really feeling it today, so I forced myself into the mindset, siked myself up, walked into the gym like I owned it and my über motivation caused me to push myself so hard I got nauseous and had to make a mad dash to the bathroom....just made it!
    I'm just glad that's all that happened and I didn't pull or tear something.
    (Note to self)
    Your threshold isn't the same as it was before!

Being nauseated isn't necessarily a bad thing
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    Good job for pushing yourself that hard even when you didn't want to!
    That's commitment!
    Don't forget to refuel :)

(For some reason it cut off my last comment)
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    Kind of a rainy drab day today, a perfect day to curl up on the couch with a good movie....
    It's a good thought....but as much as I'd like to, the gym is calling me! I keep telling myself that the couch and a movie will be a nice reward for some clanging and banging at the gym, maybe a little cardio too. Plus it'll feel so much better to do that after a workout and a hot shower! Positive rewards for maximum effort. Some days it takes more effort to get to the gym than it does to be there...don't forget to reward yourselves, and it doesn't always have to be with food!
    Although at times I still struggle, I'm dealing with my motivation on a much more positive level due to the support I've gotten in this thread, I sincerely hope others can find something of value for themselves from it too!
    I will admit that my confidence is still lacking, with women, at work, with myself. I know big muscles aren't going to give me back what my ex wife has taken from me, I'm not sure what will yet, but my new found motivation won't let me stop looking for it...
    Thank you again everyone who contributes to this thread.......if they could, my children would thank you too for helping to give their Daddy back to them.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    Kind of a rainy drab day today, a perfect day to curl up on the couch with a good movie....
    It's a good thought....but as much as I'd like to, the gym is calling me! I keep telling myself that the couch and a movie will be a nice reward for some clanging and banging at the gym, maybe a little cardio too. Plus it'll feel so much better to do that after a workout and a hot shower! Positive rewards for maximum effort. Some days it takes more effort to get to the gym than it does to be there...don't forget to reward yourselves, and it doesn't always have to be with food!
    Although at times I still struggle, I'm dealing with my motivation on a much more positive level due to the support I've gotten in this thread, I sincerely hope others can find something of value for themselves from it too!
    I will admit that my confidence is still lacking, with women, at work, with myself. I know big muscles aren't going to give me back what my ex wife has taken from me, I'm not sure what will yet, but my new found motivation won't let me stop looking for it...
    Thank you again everyone who contributes to this thread.......if they could, my children would thank you too for helping to give their Daddy back to them.

You will regain it, do some things for you. Change up your look a bit. New shoes or a new outfit, sometimes just little things like that make a world of a difference.
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    I dyed my hair and got good new lipstick, huge confidence boost.
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    You will regain it, do some things for you. Change up your look a bit. New shoes or a new outfit, sometimes just little things like that make a world of a difference.

I'm gonna give your advise a shot, couldn't hurt right? I'm looking forward to a change, thanks!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    helenjoy50 wrote: »
    I'm just about to separate from my husband I have tough times ahead too but I need to get my weight under control so things don't spiral out of control even more ...eeeks

"About to separate" Does he know? Odd post
  • m0nsterdad
    Options
    Ok, so I got my tattoo done, well almost. It'll be finished Saturday, what was supposed to be "a" tattoo turned into almost half a sleeve.
    Problem is it's gonna keep me from weight training for 2-3 weeks until it heals more. Sure I can do cardio...blecchh!
    I've done well with some ups and downs regaining my momentum in the gym....how do I now maintain that momentum now that I can't train right now. I guess I can still go and just hang out and talk with the staff just to keep the routine. I don't know, anyone been in this position or trained with fresh tattoos?
    How do I keep it going?
  • AlyssaAnne03
    Options
    Ok, so I got my tattoo done, well almost. It'll be finished Saturday, what was supposed to be "a" tattoo turned into almost half a sleeve.
    Problem is it's gonna keep me from weight training for 2-3 weeks until it heals more. Sure I can do cardio...blecchh!
    I've done well with some ups and downs regaining my momentum in the gym....how do I now maintain that momentum now that I can't train right now. I guess I can still go and just hang out and talk with the staff just to keep the routine. I don't know, anyone been in this position or trained with fresh tattoos?
    How do I keep it going?

Why can't you do legs/abs etc?