Girl who needs to get bigger (toned)

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TDEE and that crap doesn't work for me. I have a slow metabolism so if I were to eat and the recommended amount I would be overweight. It's best to just track on average your daily calorie intake then add a hundred more calories every couple of weeks. For macros I use and suggest 40C, 30P, 30F. Staying at least 120lbs should be fine for your height.

The majority of people fall within a standard range in terms of metabolism. IIRC, 96% of people fall within one std deviation (+/-) a few hundred calories.. if a tdee calculator didnt work for you, i would ask a few things: 1. What where your inputs, 2. How solid was your tracking (food scale and consistency) and 3. How long did you track to validate your assumptions.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    TDEE and that crap doesn't work for me. I have a slow metabolism so if I were to eat and the recommended amount I would be overweight. It's best to just track on average your daily calorie intake then add a hundred more calories every couple of weeks. For macros I use and suggest 40C, 30P, 30F. Staying at least 120lbs should be fine for your height.

Are you really suggesting she eat 550 calories to put on weight? Where on earth did you get those numbers from. OP for perspective I ate about 2,500 calories to put on those 10 lbs. Just lift heavy and eat plenty. That's all there really is to it.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

The majority of people fall within a standard range in terms of metabolism. IIRC, 96% of people fall within one std deviation (+/-) a few hundred calories.. if a tdee calculator didnt work for you, i would ask a few things: 1. What where your inputs, 2. How solid was your tracking (food scale and consistency) and 3. How long did you track to validate your assumptions.

I consume 1700-1800 calories a day. Calculator recommend I eat over 2000. I scale and log my food nearly everyday. I tracked since January of this year.
  • rickyll
    rickyll Posts: 188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eat good fats, lots of protein, and complex carbs. You'll want to be at a surplus if you want to add muscle (notice I didn't use "tone"). And do STRENGTH and RESISTANCE training (weight lifting). If you just do cardio you'll be soft
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

I consume 1700-1800 calories a day. Calculator recommend I eat over 2000. I scale and log my food nearly everyday. I tracked since January of this year.

Which calculator did you use. What body fat a part of the equation. Because most calculators tell me to eat 2700 or 2800 to maintain and i maintain at 3k. In the end, there is an adjustment period required as tdee calc are estimates and dont account for all the minute variables.
  • MichelleLea122
    Options

I'm gonna be real with you here. Just looking at your diary I notice you 1) Are highly inconsistent with logging 2) Use generic entries 3) Don't weigh out individual items like slices of bread or apple. I suggest tightening up your logging (measure out each and every thing) and you'll probably see a major difference.
  • cookielover_96
    Options

Which calculator did you use. What body fat a part of the equation. Because most calculators tell me to eat 2700 or 2800 to maintain and i maintain at 3k. In the end, there is an adjustment period required as tdee calc are estimates and dont account for all the minute variables.

Wow, that's a lot of intake. I've used close-to accurate various ones that I search up online. Then the results I gathered were pretty similar. My body fat is estimated to be about 26-28% so if I consumed any more it would be unnecessary. I'm 5'9 and 160lbs.
  • cookielover_96
    Options

I'm gonna be real with you here. Just looking at your diary I notice you 1) Are highly inconsistent with logging 2) Use generic entries 3) Don't weigh out individual items like slices of bread or apple. I suggest tightening up your logging (measure out each and every thing) and you'll probably see a major difference.

I have been, and finally gained the weight I want but it's summer now, so I ease it up until autumn comes. Don't prowl on me, I'm here giving my input. Just like everyone else.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

cosign ...gaps in logging, logging four pieces instead of actual weight of turkey, etc...
  • ndj1979
    Options

I have been, and finally gained the weight I want but it's summer now, so I ease it up until autumn comes. Don't prowl on me, I'm here giving my input. Just like everyone else.

problem is that your input is flawed because you are not logging accurately. you can't have huge gaps in your logging and then say "that TDEE crap did not work for me" the reality of te situation is that your logging is not accurate and that is why you think it is not working..
  • cookielover_96
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

problem is that your input is flawed because you are not logging accurately. you can't have huge gaps in your logging and then say "that TDEE crap did not work for me" the reality of te situation is that your logging is not accurate and that is why you think it is not working..

Read what I said earlier, I was consistent in my earlier months of logging. Now I'm chilling. Dude you guys need to back off and stop picking on me for something I said that isn't "correct". You guys aren't health professionals either, okay?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Are you really suggesting she eat 550 calories to put on weight? Where on earth did you get those numbers from. OP for perspective I ate about 2,500 calories to put on those 10 lbs. Just lift heavy and eat plenty. That's all there really is to it.

Those numbers are macro percentages, not grams.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Read what I said earlier, I was consistent in my earlier months of logging. Now I'm chilling. Dude you guys need to back off and stop picking on me for something I said that isn't "correct". You guys aren't health professionals either, okay?

your diary over the past week has gaps in logging...so not sure why you think it is better now...

no one is picking on you, we are telling you that your whole premise about TDEE is flawed due to your lack of accurate and consistent logging. Stating facts does not equal picking on someone...
  • cookielover_96
    Options

your diary over the past week has gaps in logging...so not sure why you think it is better now...

no one is picking on you, we are telling you that your whole premise about TDEE is flawed due to your lack of accurate and consistent logging. Stating facts does not equal picking on someone...

If you aren't picking at me, then you think you know everything by stating your facts.
  • ndj1979
    Options

If you aren't picking at me, then you think you know everything by stating your facts.

I know that if you log accurately, TDEE works...
  • MichelleLea122
    Options

We're just trying to help you out. But at the end of the day, this thread is for helping the OP and people like her. If you're going to give her advice like "TDEE and that crap doesn't work for me", you better be able to back your assertions up. I don't intend to be mean, but if you're not giving good advice, I'm gonna call you out.
  • cookielover_96
    Options

Teach me on how TDEE works then, give me a lesson.
  • ndj1979
    Options

1. figure out maintencne calories
    2. eat in a deficit or surplus to gain or lose
    3. accurately log calories

the end
  • cookielover_96
    Options

the end

Oh really, I thought it's just a calculated daily calorie intake?
  • ndj1979
    Options

the end

Oh really, I thought it's just a calculated daily calorie intake?

total daily energy expenditure

figure out how many calories you need to maintain; add or subtract from that number based on goals; log accurately.