You guys are intense.

I know right! And all very convincing and articulate debaters :smile:

Except me, I'm here for the fun

lol my head hurts :confounded:

• JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/circumstantial-ad-hominem.html
    A Circumstantial ad Hominem is a fallacy in which one attempts to attack a claim by asserting that the person making the claim is making it simply out of self interest.

http://www.novonordisk.com/patients/diabetes-care/managing-diabetes/diet.html
    Salt and Cholesterol

Eating foods high in saturated fat, trans fat or cholesterol can lead to high fat and cholesterol levels. This can cause fat and cholesterol to stick to the insides of blood vessels. When that happens, the blood vessels can become narrowed over time. So avoiding fats helps to lower risk of health complications.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/what-can-i-eat/making-healthy-food-choices/fats-and-diabetes.html
    Why should you eat less saturated fat? Because saturated fat raises blood cholesterol levels. High blood cholesterol is a risk factor for heart disease. People with diabetes are at high risk for heart disease and limiting your saturated fat can help lower your risk of having a heart attack or stroke.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/Cholesterol/PreventionTreatmentofHighCholesterol/Know-Your-Fats_UCM_305628_Article.jsp#mainContent
    For adults who would benefit from lowering their LDL cholesterol, the American Heart Association recommends:

Reducing saturated fat to no more than 5 to 6 percent of total calories. For someone eating 2,000 calories a day that’s about 11 to 13 grams of saturated fat.
    Reducing the percent of calories from trans fat.

The American Heart Association’s Nutrition Committee strongly advises these fat guidelines for healthy Americans over age 2:

Eating between 25 and 35 percent of your total daily calories as fats from foods like fish, nuts, and vegetable oils.
    Limiting the amount of saturated fats you eat to less than 7 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need about 2,000 calories a day, less than 140 calories (or 16 grams) should come from saturated fats.
    Limiting the amount of trans fats to less than 1 percent of your total daily calories. That means if you need about 2,000 calories a day, less than 20 calories (or 2 grams) should come from trans fats.
    For good health, the majority of fats you eat should be monounsaturated or polyunsaturated.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Kait_Dee wrote: »
    You guys are intense.

I know right! And all very convincing and articulate debaters :smile:

Except me, I'm here for the fun

lol my head hurts :confounded:

That's why beer exists.

That's why we're so intense. Loser has to buy. B)
  • Kaitou
    Kaitou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    ri0dv7omaa79.jpeg

And yet those of us without enough money are just left to die. But those of us with untreated health problems aren't supposed to hate Big Pharma for pricing us out of medicine?

There is no "forgetting". Doing some good doesn't erase your sins. And researching medicine to sell to people for $1000 a month or more doesn't make you a force of good that should be above being hated. People die in the U.S because they can't afford the medical treatments they need.

Maybe reflect on that before you post your next "huurrr look at the dumb millennials/liberals hating Big Pharma!" meme.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Hating on big pharma is the in thing to do.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @Kaitou so big pharma is supposed to spend billions creating a medication but charge nothing for it? Yup that's how businesses work.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hell big pharma is the reason why insulin shots exist.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Big pharma is the reason I'm alive. So are mice ;)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Big Pharma is why I can get out of bed!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    edited June 2016
    Options

Same with my wife. Without pharma she would have died from tachycardia arrest.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Hell big pharma is the reason why insulin shots exist.

Now I get it.

Insulin is evil.
    Big Pharma created insulin shots.
    Therefore big pharma is evil.
  • singingflutelady
    edited June 2016
    Options

Same with my wife. Without pharma shr would have died from tachycardia arrest.

I was on the verge of colon perforation when diagnosed. Prednisone helped the inflammation until my biologic inflixinab stopped tnf-a from eating the rest of my colon and promoted healing. Biologics and biotechnology are the future. Yes expensive but it isn't "chemical drugs" but antibodies grown in a petri dish. Not cheap stuff to make.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    @amusedmonkey

I think you might enjoy this article by Dr. Fung entitled, "The Carbohydrate Insulin Hypothesis is Wrong." It made me think of you and how you seemed so stuck on defending carbohydrates. I guess you've been exposed to this theory and f :D ound problems with it? Well, I wasn't talking about that theory; hence, my confusion as to why you kept simplifying the discussion... anyway... you might find you agree with him more than you initially thought.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/carbohydrate-insulin-hypothesis-wrong-hormonal-obesity-vi/

Yes, that was the theory I'm against but I also don't agree with his hypothesis. He is mixing cause and effect. Obese people are more likely to be insulin resistant due to obesity, not the other way around. When people lose weight, regardless of diet, they tend to become less insulin resistant. Case in point: from borderline diabetic to low average blood sugar values, and all it took was weight loss without much of a change in the amount or the type of carbohydrates I consume.

You should read up on the. Obesity doesn't cause insulin resistance; insulin does. Researchers can infuse healthy people with physiologic levels of insulin and induce insulin resistance fairly quickly. Many many diabetics are not obese; they can even be thin! He has a great lecture on that on his intensive dietary management blog. Additionally, he heals his type 2 diabetics by reducing their insulin levels through diet and fasting regimen.

And many many obese people are not insulin resistance as demonstrated by the fact that 66% + of the US population is overweight or obese, but not all of them are diabetic.

There are several hormones to cause the body to store fat... insulin is only one of them.

@psulemon

@amusedmonkey states: "Obese people are more likely to be insulin resistant due to obesity, not the other way around." Not true, many normal weight or even thin people are insulin resistant or type 2 diabetics. Obesity doesn't cause IR, insulin does. Here's Dr. Fung's lecture if you want to check it out:

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/insulin-toxicity-cure-type-2-diabetes/

It's important to note that he is a practicing physician who treats type 2 diabetes, effectively reversing their disease (getting them off medication and exogenous insulin requirements) much faster than he reverses their obesity (because the obesity isn't what causes insulin resistance, it's elevated levels of insulin). The obesity takes longer if and when it disappears. He treats them with individualized fasting protocols and dietary management aimed at lowering insulin levels and allowing the cells to regain sensitivity.

As far as the Kevin Hall Study you shared... yeah, I've seen it before.

Let's clarify the blatant misinformation presented here. Important points are as follows:

1. The Restricted carbohydrate (RC) and Restricted fat (RF) diets both led to weight loss, more weight was lost following the RC diet.
    2. Fat mass change as measured by DXA revealed significant changes from baseline, but did not detect a significant difference between RF and RC diets.
    3. This study lasted 2 weeks. There were 10 men and 9 women in the study.
    4. Carbohydrate restriction was only to an average of 140 grams/day--hardly a ketogenic diet.
    5. They calculated daily fat balance as the difference between fat intake and net fat oxidation (i.e., fat oxidation minus de novo lipogenesis) measured by indirect calorimetry while residing in a metabolic chamber--an invented (aka made up) parameter. This means numbers compared were (a) the fat intake from from RF group (7% of total calories) minus how much fat they oxidized (on a calorie deficient diet, of course they were oxidizing body fat) vs. (b) the fat intake from the RC group (49% of total calories--a much greater number) minus how much fat they oxidized--a difference that is accounted for more than 3 times in the intake.

So in summary, the only conclusion this study supported was that if you eat a low fat calorie restricted diet, you burn more fat than you consume! We already knew that!!! This study does NOT support the hypothesis that a low fat diet results in greater total fat burning than a high fat/low carbohydrate diet.

If you look at the hard data, the only statistically significant differences they found were - increased fat oxidation and increased weight loss in the high fat/low carb diet.

They also found decreased insulin, decreased triglycerides, and elevated HDL with the carbohydrate restricted diet - all known benefits! In short, if you make up new parameters to show the numbers you want and ignore hard data, you can make a study say what you want it to say.

The study supported that the insulin hypothesis is junk as touted be Gary Taubes and others. The fact that you dont have to restrict carbs to lose fat, is a clear indication of that. Additionally, while the RC group lost more weight, due to glycogen depletion, FFM was greater in the low fat group. The purpose of me linking this wasn't to discuss which was better, but rather dispell your constant insinuation that all things come down to insulin because a subset of people have issues with it, like diabetics.

You are touting Dr. Fungs hypotheses like they are supported by the rest of the community. If insulin caused obesity and cause diabetes, than almost every Asian person would have it. The blue zones are the healthiest and longest living place on earth and yet, they all dont it. If you look at the rest of the community, there still isn't enough conclusive evidences to know what causes insulin. The NIH would allude to the fact that obesity (particularly belly fat) is one cause. Other causes would be physcial inactivity, other medical conditions, steroid use, some medications, older age, sleep problems, especially sleep apnea, and cigarette smoking.

Regarding your first point, you ignored the fact that they had greater fat oxidation, not the ridiculous "net fat oxidation." Of course, FFM was greater in RF since it includes extracellular fluids, which we all know drop on a low carb diet. The study was a miniscule 2 weeks, and the DEXA showed no significant difference between either diet. And let's be honest too about the diets: the RF diet was too low to be considered healthy, normal, or attainable by anyone in real life (7%) and the RC was way too high to be a ketogenic diet (140 g). Again, all the study proves is what I stated: if you eat a low fat calorie restricted diet, you burn more fat than you consume. Ground-breaking.

Regarding your Asian comment. It's already been addressed in this thread. We're are not talking about the carbohysrate-insulin hypothesis--we are not talking about Taubes either. Dr. Fung does a good job explaining why that is an incomplete and inaccurate picture: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/carbohydrate-insulin-hypothesis-wrong-hormonal-obesity-vi/

I disagree with you that I'm touting anything like anyone agrees or disgrees. I'm just sharing evidence. It means little to me what everyone else believes. I'm well aware that following mainstream nutritional advice would be very different from following Dr. Fung's. That's a shame. Actually, it's more than a shame when you understand the players involved and why change is not happening. You said yourself, "there still isn't enough conclusive evidences to know what causes insulin." I assume you mean insulin secretion or resistance? Bottom line is, even you acknowledge that insulin plays an very important role in weight gain and weight loss. And that's what Dr. Fung tries to tease out. What drives insulin secretion? Yes, we all know sugar and refined carbs... also steroids, certian medications (like seroquel or other antidepressants), cortisol (stress hormones), snacking between meals and through the day, artificial sweetners, the list goes on. The point is: controlling insulin is a HUGE component to controlling weight. @psulemon

To clarify the bold, it was insulin resistance. It was a quote from the NIH. I would also like to point out, that you are sharing observation, rather than evidence by a research organization. I dont know that this guys is qualify to treat his patients because they all pretty much share the same subset of metabolic issues. In those cases, specific dietary restrictions have been noted for years. It's not rocket science that people with diabetes need to moderate their carbs... The issue I have is he completely disregards calories as a function of weight loss for anyone. Essentially, he doesn't believe in the law of thermodynamics, which is an issue. Because if calories weren't an issue, then those on low carb or keto diets wouldn't be able to gain weight or muscle? Or lose or spare what they wanted. He also doesn't address any other of the weight gain hormones. i

I recognize the calories are the driver of weight loss and gain. I do also recognize the hormones (not just insulin) can affect ones ability to lose weight, not because it would disprove CICO, but rather it can alter components of the equation. PCOS has some likes to reduction in resting metabolic rate, which would also affect non exercise activity thermogenesis (more efficient metabolic rate, means less calories burned doing daily activities). This in turn would lower your TDEE and make it more difficult to lose weight. And while I cannot confirm why that happens, since I haven't researched too much, but I would suspect that a person would have longer periods of lipogenesis from elevated BG or insulin, which in turn would reduce times in lipolysis. Having said that, i do recognize, that for as much as we do know, things will change over the years. My general problem these conversations is throwing out mainstream data just because its mainstream.

Lolz. "He doesn't believe in the 2nd law of thermodynamics." Nope, he just says that physics and physiology are two different sciences. The 2nd law of thermodynamics is never violated when a person goes on a calorie restricted diet, but can't easily access stored fat due to excess insulin--that's why BMR drops! The 2nd law of thermodynamics is true, but you can't use it to support a gross oversimplification like the CICO model. He's say it far better and funnier than I can, so I'll link his article: https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/first-law-thermodynamics-irrelevant/

And no one is throwing out mainstream just "because it's mainstream." That's silly. I'm challenging the parts that are incorrect and actually harm people.

Things you don't believe aren't incorrect. And again, no excess insulin when you're in a deficit, and don't come with IR again, I already said TWICE that IR reduces insulin's effect so the higher amount in your blood does nothing and I don't care about saying it again.

Well, then by all means, please don't say it again. You aren't explaining yourself, and you have no evidence to share. Things you believe aren't correct by default. @stevencloser

You're the one who needs to start showing any evidence. The opinions of one person, even if they're allowed to put "Dr." in front of their name, are just that, opinion.
    You mean "Dr. Dre" isn't a real doctor?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    It is important to change for the better what we are able to change while we still can. I don't know where that tipping point will be in my life. I think that people realize that losing weight and becoming more active does reduce a lot of health and medical problems which is why most of us are attempting to lose weight utilizing MFP tools.

What I don't understand is why people quibble with other people who are successfully making adaptations in their diets that benefit them and do no harm?