Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

1 slice of pepperoni pizza from Little Caesars (where the PF near me gets their pizza):
    280 calories
    31 Carbs
    13 Protein
    11 Fat

1 14oz Muscle Milk protein shake:
    230 calories
    11 Carbs
    25 Protein
    9 Fat

That's the difference, especially since most people can't have just 1 slice of pizza...especially people with weight problems, or binge eaters (like myself). They cater to the insecure, overweight person, yet they do things to keep them overweight and insecure. Once someone exerts any sort of effort, above mediocrity, its punished by a loud alarm and banishment from the gym. There are countless stories of people just breathing heavy being kicked out of PF.

There is this stereotype that bodybuilders/powerlifters are all a-holes and jerks. The online community for powerlifters is one of the most welcoming communities out there. Now, powerlifters won't coddle you and many give free advice to those who truly need it. Also, if you stay off of BB.com, the bodybuilding community is just as welcoming and helpful. Its harder to get the pros to interact with you with bodybuilding, but its not impossible. Shoot, there are pros in both sports that take people under their wing for free to promote their own business.

That's why I suggest finding a smaller, local gym. My local gym, owned by a guy who prepares diets for pro bodybuilders, gives free diet advice to every member of his gym ($2000+ meal plans for free). Sure you're paying $45-$50 a month, but you're getting a better support system than "Hey you did well today, here's a couple pieces of pizza as a reward. Don't make too much progress, or you'll stop paying us!" Those smaller gyms are packed full of guys who've spent years in the trenches and will offer free advice if asked. You generally don't find those guys in larger, corporate style gyms.

Now as for the guy who has a PF with a squat rack and Olympic bars, they must be violating their own business model by having those things and its certainly not the norm for those gyms.
  • spartan_d
    spartan_d Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    smtaylo85 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    smtaylo85 wrote: »
    People love to hate on PF!

... because PF loves to hate on people. http://milkandcookies.com/link/267592

Been going there for years and have never had a problem. the one I go to is great and a lot of lifters and fit/muscular people workout there. so it's not every planet fitness.
    The official company line is that bodybuilders are "jerks" and "animals" who should be "locked in a cage," as per the video mentioned earlier. The fact that these words aren't used in everyday conversation at your particular Planet Fitness is beside the point.

As for fit/muscular people working out there... well, duh. The company can't be overt about saying "Nobody who's physically fit will be allowed to use the facilities." Rather, this discrimination is implicit in both the advertising and the policies. The harsh reality is that a lot of people will be willing to endure this kind of discrimination for the sake of having a cheap place to work out.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    If you can't afford another gym, then do what you need to. However, make sure you ignore the pizza and bagel days, and pass up the free candy at the front desk. Find a smaller, independent gym. I bet you'll find more encouragement there, then PF.

Why does one need to ignore the pizza and bagels? If it fits in your daily calories then have at it.
    The operative word there is "IF." It's common knowledge that your typical American already consumes way too much when it comes to processed, highly caloric food. Not to mention that your typical out-of-shape joe -- PF's target clientele -- is generally less informed when it comes to calories and the amount of effort required to burn them off.

Please explain what the difference is between having pizza and bagels or getting a big protein shake at the protein bars some gyms have that probably has as many if not more calories than the pizza and bagels. Is it ok because the shake is "healthy"?

The fact that you need to ask demonstrates my point.

thefuzz1290 did a good job of explaining the difference. Also, I'd like to point out that gyms don't typically serve protein drinks for free. People are far more likely to gorge on freebies rather than on items that they must pay for out of their pockets.

In addition, I think it's obvious that if a gym DOES serve heavily sugared protein drinks, then they are also doing a poor job when it comes to nutrition. Common sense says that Planet Fitness does not get a free pass simply because other (hypothetical) gyms might also be dishing out food that is unhealthy. Rather, it would simply mean that PF isn't the only offender in this regard.

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    kadfit48 wrote: »
    I've been seriously contemplating joining Planet Fitness. I was a member before so I know it's a great place for the price. I'm hopeful I'll stick to going if I join. I'm trying to keep motivated by thinking of the positives. I have a schedule worked out that will work after work. It's also close to my home so I win there too.

I'm a PF hater lol. But I will say, I would analyze why you stopped going in the first place. For example, I've been a member of a few gyms including Snap Fitness, Twin Cities YMCA, Anytime Fitness, CrossFit Affiliate. I will tell you that my memberships at Snap Fitness and Anytime were a waste of money. I don't like just going to the gym and doing stuff. I need it to be fun and social. So the Y was great because of the classes and CrossFit is great because of the community atmosphere. I paid $30/month for Snap, $35/month for Anytime but I wasted money. The Y was $65/month and CrossFit is $99/month but it's 100% completely worth it. I go to CrossFit at least 3x a week, I have friends that hold me accountable and message me and encourage me if I fall of the wagon. That support is worth it's weight in dollars :).
  • hrsj022
    hrsj022 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I go to PF 7 days a week for hour and a half plus work outs. I have never seen pizza or bagels. Yes the buckets of candy is dumb and when I see them in a cup holder of a machine I'm using I throw them away! I hate that crap. But I love the tanning, massages, lots of cardio and I also do weights. There are some very ripped guys but they are polite and behave!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    hrsj022 wrote: »
    I go to PF 7 days a week for hour and a half plus work outs. I have never seen pizza or bagels. Yes the buckets of candy is dumb and when I see them in a cup holder of a machine I'm using I throw them away! I hate that crap. But I love the tanning, massages, lots of cardio and I also do weights. There are some very ripped guys but they are polite and behave!

All of that is great, but your last sentence is where it falls apart. By saying that, it insinuates that ripped guys in general aren't polite. And that's exactly what everyone gets themselves in a twist over.
    People who are "ripped" aren't any more/less impolite than anyone else walking down the street.
  • spartan_d
    Options
    hrsj022 wrote: »
    I go to PF 7 days a week for hour and a half plus work outs. I have never seen pizza or bagels.
    PF members here say that all the time, as though it somehow disproved the company's own admission that it serves free pizza and bagels. Does anyone else see the fallacy in that claim?

Ditto with regard to the lunk alarm. "I've never heard the lunk alarm go off," they say. Well good for them, but does that somehow prove that PF never actually uses the thing? Heck, one could just as easily surmise that the PF members at that particular location have been buffaloed into "working out" at such a low level that they don't come close to setting the thing off. In other words, this proves nothing.
  • mochachichi
    mochachichi Posts: 74 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

1 slice of pepperoni pizza from Little Caesars (where the PF near me gets their pizza):
    280 calories
    31 Carbs
    13 Protein
    11 Fat

230 calories
    11 Carbs
    25 Protein
    9 Fat

So you're saying that the pizza has the perfect 3:1 Carb to protein post workout nutrition ratio? Cool! I normally have chocolate milk after a workout but glad to know pizza fits the bill too
    :smiley:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

280 calories
    31 Carbs
    13 Protein
    11 Fat

230 calories
    11 Carbs
    25 Protein
    9 Fat

So you're saying that the pizza has the perfect 3:1 Carb to protein post workout nutrition ratio? Cool! I normally have chocolate milk after a workout but glad to know pizza fits the bill too
    :smiley:

The post workout fueling thing is very overblown.
  • bevhillsilly
    bevhillsilly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Open 24 hrs sounds awesome but not being able to use a power rack to squat and DL would be a deal breaker for me. I don't lift crazy heavy or anything (yet) but I think smith machines are the devil and f&@k cardio
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    All depends what you want to progress at. I did a fine job there this morning progressing in a controlled environment.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    kadfit48 wrote: »
    I've been seriously contemplating joining Planet Fitness. I was a member before so I know it's a great place for the price. I'm hopeful I'll stick to going if I join. I'm trying to keep motivated by thinking of the positives. I have a schedule worked out that will work after work. It's also close to my home so I win there too.

@kadfit48 Sounds like you have a great plan and an excellent mindset! Keep thinking about the positives! No matter what anyone says (and no matter which gym you choose), if you put the work in, you will see results. :) I lost 100 pounds at PF. Good luck, my friend! You can do it!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    rakowskidp wrote: »

Thank you!

"It's not what I would do, so it must be wrong for everyone!" Amirite?!?

I don't get why so many have problems with PF. Doesn't meet your goals? Cool, find another gym. Lots of us are rather well-served there.

It's because they caricaturize the fitness enthusiast while perpetuating negative untrue stereotypes in their "judgment free" zone. I thought it would be kind of a no brainer why so many people take issue with them. Guess I was wrong.

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If you never want to progress than pf is great...

If you never want to "progress" by his standards that is!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    rakowskidp wrote: »

Thank you!

"It's not what I would do, so it must be wrong for everyone!" Amirite?!?

I don't get why so many have problems with PF. Doesn't meet your goals? Cool, find another gym. Lots of us are rather well-served there.

It's because they caricaturize the fitness enthusiast while perpetuating negative untrue stereotypes in their "judgment free" zone. I thought it would be kind of a no brainer why so many people take issue with them. Guess I was wrong.

We don't even have Planet Fitness here and that is what I know about them from internet marketing:

That as a corporation they are in the business of shaming a minority in order to make the majority clientelle feel better

Sounds like an 'ism' to me
    Never want to be connected to an 'ism' personally ..nor pay for 'istic' marketing
  • getfit_fritch26
    getfit_fritch26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why people hate on PF so much. When I liked in a bigger town I joined as soon as I got there. The only option where I live now is Snap Fitness, which is fine, but stupid expensive for a place that has no staff. I love PF...I could go anytime I wanted, the cost was low, staff was friendly and always there so I didn't feel nervous going in late at night alone, machines were always available, and it was always clean.

If I ever live somewhere close enough to one again I will be dropping my $50/mo gym for PF.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that more Americans don't take offence at a marketing campaign that brings others down to sell your product

funny-planet-fitness-signs.jpg

Planet-Fitness-Lunk-Alarm.jpg
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have never understood why people hate on PF so much. When I liked in a bigger town I joined as soon as I got there. The only option where I live now is Snap Fitness, which is fine, but stupid expensive for a place that has no staff. I love PF...I could go anytime I wanted, the cost was low, staff was friendly and always there so I didn't feel nervous going in late at night alone, machines were always available, and it was always clean.

If I ever live somewhere close enough to one again I will be dropping my $50/mo gym for PF.

Did you read the thread? I think it was laid out pretty straight forward a handful of times.