Bookworms

Options

Replies

• jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    *_* *_* Sent a friend request to all!
    Maybe everyone can share what's currently on their reading list? I have Stephen King's 11/22/63 :love:

Great book. The series they produced for Hulu staring James Franco was excellent. I am a huge Stephen King fan. The Dark Tower series is a must read for all his fans. He's the reason I wrote a book :)
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Currently reading "Silence of the Grave" by Arnaldur Indridason to be followed by "Night Passage" by Robert B. Parker. I really like the Inspector Erlendur series by Indridason.

Has anyone read any of the Jesse Stone series by Parker? Your thoughts?
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Currently reading
    "The Interior Circuit" by Francisco Goldman (a journalist's memoir)

"Naked Economics" by Charles Wheelan (an approach to economics for a non-economist)

"The Labyrinth of Solitude" by Octavio Paz (super prosy look at Mexican identity)

and I just finished "Americanah" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (a novel about immigration and self discovery).
  • shijay
    shijay Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a huge bookworm. Always have something to read with me.
  • lisciousg24
    lisciousg24 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love books as well (no Kindle or electronic devices for me - love the library and the feel of a book in my hands). I especially like mysteries and crime novels. I'm currently reading the Inspector Erlendur series by Arnaldur Indriðason. Then on to the Jesse Stone series.

Please feel free to add me as a friend.

I'm the same!
    Got a kindle so can share account with my sister. That way I get more books without having to buy them all myself.
    Read off of it only when on vacation. Otherwise love reading actual books
    No comparison
  • BioShocked89
    BioShocked89 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Stephen King is where I make my home. Most recently I just finished Mr. Mercedes. I also picked up his last volume of the Mr. Mercedes series End of Watch and got to see him speak in Louisville. (It was everything I hoped it would be and more)I also love Agatha Christie, autobiographies, and some of the old stuff like Beowulf, The Illiad, The Oddessy, ect. My favorite book is to Kill a Mockingbird.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey Bookworms. Check your Amazon accounts. The antitrust suit that Amazon lost to Apple means that you might have a credit in your Amazon account. I just got an email to check and I've got $15.23. lol. Same thing with Ticketmaster if you are concert goers. Some class action suit filed against them in 2003 just paid out like yesterday. You might have ticket vouchers in your account.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    hunter0922 wrote: »
    Any good horror books you could recommend?!

House of Leaves
    Bird Box
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Stand
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    I am Legend
    Let the Right One In
    The Girl Next Door
    The Wasp Factory
    American Psycho

Not all necessarily "horror", but creepy and haunting.
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Just started the Magicians by Lev Grossman, just finished Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis.
  • rph2t
    rph2t Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    *_* *_* Sent a friend request to all!
    Maybe everyone can share what's currently on their reading list? I have Stephen King's 11/22/63 :love:

I am reading a book about Henry Knox, one of the generals in the Revolutionary War, and Henry James' Portrait of a Lady. I'm on a bit of a history kick since I'm going back for my Master's in Historic Preservation in the fall, and I'm trying to get back in that mindset.

Also, I am halfway through Metro 2033, the book the video game was based on, post-apocalyptic novel set in Russian Metro system. It's a little weird, but very good.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Any good horror books you could recommend?!

House of Leaves
    Bird Box
    Rosemary's Baby
    The Stand
    Something Wicked This Way Comes
    I am Legend
    Let the Right One In
    The Girl Next Door
    The Wasp Factory
    American Psycho

Not all necessarily "horror", but creepy and haunting.

Thank you good sir! What's your favorite?

Good lady ;) Hard to pic a favorite from these. Maybe The Wasp Factory. I haven't even finished reading it yet (a few pages left) but the writing is brilliant. Also American Psycho just for the sick and twisted factor.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Definite bookworm, for as long as I can remember: actual books and I like electronic versions because I can carry an entire library with me and look things up in a matter of minutes.

I like biographies and histories, though I'm picky about them. Right now, I'm enjoying a book by Nancy Goldstone: "Four Queens", about four sisters who lived in the fourteenth century, became queens by marriage, and influenced lots of policy. Before that, I read another Goldstone book, "Rival Queens", about Catherine de Medici and her daughter Marguerite of Navarre. Goldstone has a nice, easy flow of writing; she has a sense of humor; she treats her historical subjects like people, and she tries to understand and convey everyone's character and motives fairly. I like that.
  • TehLaughingDog
    TehLaughingDog Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Definitely following this thread for more reading suggestions!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Definitely following this thread for more reading suggestions!

Me too!
  • torsab
    torsab Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    nothing better then being curled up in a comfy chair / couch with one of my dogs, my kindle ... and maybe a snack :) (much better at controlling the portion of that snack now). I travel for work a fair amount so the kindle is the way to go for me ... I don't have to worry about bringing an extra book or two in case I finish what I'm reading, and I can always shop for a new one lol
  • jenready
    jenready Posts: 2,658 Member
    Options
    A coworker brought the book Me Before You into work for me today. I love getting a new book to read!
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Recommend to me a long series I can sink my teeth into. Here's some ones I've enjoyed/re-read multiple times (with the more favorite ones on top).

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Harry Potter
    The first ~5 of the Wheel of Time
    The first 2 Dune
    Incarnations of Immortality
    Hunger Games
    Vampire Chronicles
    Well World
    Chronicles of Narnia
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Recommend to me a long series I can sink my teeth into. Here's some ones I've enjoyed/re-read multiple times (with the more favorite ones on top).

Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
    Song of Ice and Fire
    Harry Potter
    The first ~5 of the Wheel of Time
    The first 2 Dune
    Incarnations of Immortality
    Hunger Games
    Vampire Chronicles
    Well World
    Chronicles of Narnia

The Magician series by Lev Grossman is sort of grown up Harry Potter. I'm only on the first one but liking it. Bearing in mind I read with my kids so these are more teen/young adult, I liked Suzanne Collins Gregor the Overlander series more than her Hunger Games one. The new Rick Riordan book Trials of Apollo had me snickering out loud.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Medieval and Renaissance enthusiast here recommending two series by Dorothy Dunnet:

The Lymond Chronicles
    The House of Niccolo

Dense, rich stuff.

And for some heavy-duty entertainment: The Forsyte Saga, by John Galsworthy.
    I resisted this one for years, courtesy of a movie adaptation made in 1949, and which, despite Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon and Errol Flynn, I didn't like. I downloaded the first volume a couple of years ago out of grudging curiosity, gobbled it up, and went after the other volumes as quick as I could. And I'm sorry there aren't more!