Does it really matter what you eat?

Fitby32
Fitby32 Posts: 4 Member
I'm just beginning my journey. I was curious, does it really matter what kinds of foods you eat? Is weight lost sustained or easier when you eat certain types of food? I've heard it's only about calories in vs. Calories out. I've also heard eating clean (whatever that means) is best. Those that have reached success, can you share how you ate with me?

Replies

• Fitby32
    Fitby32 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2016
    CICO works every time. The details are usually a person's personal preference.

^^This works! Lost over 160# and have kept if off for over 2-1/2 years, eating all foods in moderation and sticking with my calorie allotment.

So you didn't restrict yourself from anything? Lost by only staying under goal? Congrats btw!!
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    For weight loss you have to create a calorie deficit, your CI must be less than your CO. How you create that calorie deficit can be done a variety of different ways.

Here are common scenarios:
    Set a calorie goal, eat the same foods they are previously, just in smaller portions. Depending what kind of foods you are previously, just eating less may not be very satiating. People either give up and say calorie counting is too hard, or they figure out ways to adjust the foods they eat to find more filling foods while still enjoying some of their old favorites.

Set a calorie goal but dramatically alter the types of foods they are eating, usually cutting out something they feel is "bad" or that they eat too much of. Common culprits are carbs and sugar. A subset of this is the focus on "clean eating" in which the foods that are cut out are whatever the user classified as "processed". (Both 'clean eating' and 'processed' are subjective classifications). Depending how heavily the person restricts they may find the approach unsustainable, or they may find they feel great and plan to continue forever.

My approach was to set a calorie goal, but rather than cutting things out, I worked to add things to my life. More vegetables, more lean protein, more whole grains, more exercise, more sleep. By doing this, and still leaving room for foods I loved, I found the process of losing weight quite simple and even enjoyable. I eat a variety of nutrient dense foods as well as things like pizza, fast good, wine and ice cream in moderation. I lost 30 lbs and am maintaining pretty easily.

Tl/Dr: figure out what works best for you. Play around with the foods you eat till you find a balance between nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment.

So foods you have the hardest time with do you remove those completely or treat yourself to it every once in a while?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Fitby32 wrote: »
    CICO works every time. The details are usually a person's personal preference.

^^This works! Lost over 160# and have kept if off for over 2-1/2 years, eating all foods in moderation and sticking with my calorie allotment.

So you didn't restrict yourself from anything? Lost by only staying under goal? Congrats btw!!

I limit overly processed foods and restaurants, otherwise, if I want something I have it. Just way less than what I used to do. For me, it is all about moderation and portion control. Sustainability for life hopefully.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    For weight loss, burning more calories than you consume will cause weight loss. For optimal health, most people would suggest a diet that provides the essentials.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    It's all about the cico but for me I could spend my entire days calories on one fast food meal so not much fun there. Junk food is full of chemicals and not much nutrition so to get the vitamins and minerals you need fresh fruits and vegetables etc are going to fill you up with more nutrition and less calories.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Well yes and no.

For weight loss , calories in must be less than calories out. You can loose weight eating 100% junk food.

For health it does matter, eating more whole foods , emphasizing veggies, fruits and whole grains is beneficial to your health buy ensuring you are getting the most nutrition from your fuel.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Have a hander at my diary some weekend. I'm down almost 8 pounds in about two months and still eat the occasional full size candy bar and fast food always before work.

You make smarter choices for fast food/restaurant food, and limit your portions all around and you'll lose weight without having to give up all of your old diet.

I stay under calories unless I've had a remarkable exercise day. Or I'm starving and hangry. My hardest is giving up french fries, so I save those for the days when I've theoretically burned more calories than I take in daily (1900 vs 1380, but it was a good day!) Because they are so high in calories, but sooooo good. I save them for when I've already paid the sacrifice in.

Slightly off-topic, I saw a Deadpool gym shirt that says "I work out so I can eat tacos!" I fell in love and it's now on my list.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Yeah, of course it matters what you eat. Sure you will lose fat based on calories, but how easily you can stick to the lowered calorie amount is influenced by what you eat. Your mood is influenced by what you eat and weight loss has a strong psychological component. Water weight is influenced by what you eat.

Diet content matters.
  • amyn73
    amyn73 Posts: 241 Member
    CICO is fine for weight loss but your body will need specific things (protein, namely) if you also want to be toned and strong. Muscle does develop without feeding it the right stuff and exercising in a certain way (running, for instance, will give you endurance but not necessarily strength). So, if you want to lose weight, you can count calories. If you want to lose weight, be strong, and look toned, you need to eat lots a protein, less fat, and carbs in moderation.
  • G33K_G1RL
    G33K_G1RL Posts: 283 Member
    I lost weight with CICO, but I focused a lot on veggies and protein in my diet. First, I love them and second, this combination makes me feel more satiated so, less cheating. While maintaining I have a very varied diet, but I clearly see that eating a lot of carbs makes me way, way hungrier. The only thing I completely cut is Nutella, because I can't control myself around it, and at 100 calories a tbsp its an expensive food.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    CICO definitely works, but what I eat also matters to me, outside of weight loss. I literally "feel" cleaner and healthier when I eat mainly veggies, lean meats, and fruits (very few grains in my diet). My mood is better, my activity levels are higher, and I sleep better. Re weight loss, I found that without exercise, CICO was nearly impossible to achieve "for me". I've lost just over 80 lbs to date :) (I agree with the above poster too, Nutella is dangerous around my house!)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!