I'm an alcoholic, and starting tomorrow I'm not letting myself drink

Options

Replies

• Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    jadiva83 wrote: »
    I was going through the same up until a week ago. I wasn't drinking beer, unfortunately I was drinking vodka a 1/2 gal a week for months. I considered myself a functional alcoholic too. Because I never let it interfere with my life. I wait till I get home get my son fed showered and ready for his next day then put him to bed. After he's asleep I go on my porch n drink till I feel drunk then fall asleep. Do it all over again the next day. Gained 30lbs. I downloaded this app exactly 2 weeks ago. Sunday before last finished my bottle and said I'm done. ....thanks for sharing something I was so shamed of. Thank God I made this life change. I know I was drinking from boredom because since that Sunday I haven't had the urge to buy a bottle of anything...n lost 6lbs in the process. We got this girl!!!

Wow! Good for you! That's just plain inspirational!!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Bets of luck, its very brave of you to admit it. I hope it all goes well for you. Would you maybe think of contacting the AA?
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    For OP and for everyone else reading: reddit.com/r/stopdrinking is a great community.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Two days in... How you doing, girl? :)

Not too bad. Have a killer headache and REALLY craving this morning, so I'm going on a hike. :)

Congrats on two days sober.
  • maryannamber
    maryannamber Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your journey!! My support goes out to you. There will be bumps in the road but know you can always come here for positive vibes and advice <3 Add me if you like. Im new here but believe in helping others to the best of my abilities.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Two days in... How you doing, girl? :)

Not too bad. Have a killer headache and REALLY craving this morning, so I'm going on a hike. :)

Thank you for the update. Congratulations. Day three is usually the really rough one. I'm glad you have a plan.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wish you the best of luck! The most I want to do is cut down on the drinking. I am definitely a black out drunk but it helps me cope with things (I feel like I'm mostly a functioning alcoholic as well). I'm not interested in stopping that, be it unhealthy or not. But I salute you on the strength to start your journey on sobriety!
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For the headache, be sure to drink plenty of water. Dehydration gets me every time. And best wishes to you!
  • Marycycles
    Marycycles Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am a foodaholic! Binge eat and have struggled with anorexia. I know how it feels to be out of control and I am rooting for you!
  • rinskeep1
    rinskeep1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I know a lot of my weight is due to the same issue. Cutting it out, just the same :)
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Well the hardest days are over with from a withdrawal point of view. Hopefully your body is feeling less awful by now and your liver has a big smile.

Just think of the hundreds or thousands of calories per week your saving. As long as you don't replace it with chocolate the pounds she be dropping of in no time.
  • oxBeexo
    oxBeexo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My gosh brutal honesty is the first step. And I have nothing but respect for you to be able to be so honest. You got this.
  • misscagal
    misscagal Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow. This took a lot of courage to tell people. Best wishes on your journey to recovery
  • jadiva83
    jadiva83 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking heavily about a month ago. The first week sucked but I feel a million times better. I've lost 11 lbs in a month just by not drinking so many calories every night. Plus I don't get the drunken munchies so I'm making better food choices.

That's exactly what's happening for me. The lbs are just dropping since I stopped drinking altogether.