I'm an alcoholic, and starting tomorrow I'm not letting myself drink

Options

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking for 10 weeks at the beginning of the year. Please add me for support if you like. My vice was vodka tho...lots of vodka. Thinking about taking a break again. I'd love to help in any way possible. It's hard, but doable.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    If you're a legitimate alcoholic, be careful. That detox can literally kill you, unlike most drug withdrawals.
  • BoomstickChik
    BoomstickChik Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't really have advice, but good luck! You can do it if you're truly ready. I had a rough drinking problem about 8-10 years ago... functioning alcoholic here as well.
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    When I was drinking heavy, I realized that I needed to stop. No more bars, no friends who drank, no wine, no beer, no booze at home. And I went to the gym, more for something to do, aside from the bar.

I stopped going to the store. My SO did the shopping. I literally could not pass the wine up. I also cut up my credit cards. I had no money, or access to money. My SO filled my car with gas. After 2 months, I allowed myself to have money again. My Mother drove me to work, and picked me up and took me to the gym. Pretty crazy.

Let people in your family know you are struggling and need help. They will help you.
  • Happysoul0317
    Happysoul0317 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am walking in the same shoes. Three days of this app and doing better. Not cold turkey. I cut down to half the amount of drinks, last night I only had 2! It's a tough habit but habits are made to be broken.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    Can we get updated
  • Songbird1104
    Songbird1104 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It's great to see such encouragement on this thread. I agree with what the majority are posting: be safe because detoxing can be nasty, and stay strong, because you can do this! Congratulations on making a big decision and seeking help immediately. Good job and good luck!
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    So very proud of you and all the others who have honestly posted on this thread. I am a foodaholic so I can somewhat relate. I gave up sugar and diet sodas. I hope to stay off sugar, it is one of my many downfalls. YOU CAN BEAT ALCOHOLISM! You have a great support system in person and online. Just keep taking one step forward. I'm praying for you.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    @yellownickel

An update would be wonderful. If everything has gone well, you are now past the most dangerous time frame for alcohol withdrawal. Seems like several people would love an update. :heart:
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I'm an alcoholic too and drink about the same you did
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the best! I used to drink wine every day and then slowly weaned myself off. I still drink wine but not as much and as often. Let us know how you are doing!!!
  • yellownickel
    yellownickel Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am walking in the same shoes. Three days of this app and doing better. Not cold turkey. I cut down to half the amount of drinks, last night I only had 2! It's a tough habit but habits are made to be broken.

Good for you! Cutting back is hard as well, you're doing awesome!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If you're a legitimate alcoholic, be careful. That detox can literally kill you, unlike most drug withdrawals.

Thank you for your concern! I'm on day 6 and it's not easy. But I'm hanging in there.

Yay for day 6! That's the worst of the withdrawal symptoms over. Now to find another hobby. I bet hubby could help you find something :devil:
  • yellownickel
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Thank you for your concern! I'm on day 6 and it's not easy. But I'm hanging in there.

Yay for day 6! That's the worst of the withdrawal symptoms over. Now to find another hobby. I bet hubby could help you find something :devil:

hehehe, oh he has >:)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    You remind me of my mother. She cannot go a day without beer and up until a few years ago I was trending in that same direction (except with hard liquor). I love my mom but I dont want to end up like her, hiding/repressing pain by just drinking in hopes to sleep with no dreams (not saying that that is your reason for your past drinking). So I stopped cold turkey. I managed to go about 2 years straight without a drink at all. During the summer or friend gatherings its hard because those are the scenarios where I'd have something to drink. Last friday was so warm, I just ended up buying some vodka, I made 2 very stiff drinks but I wasn't happy afterwards, the buzz lasted for a short time, and I threw the rest down the drain. If you're really serious about stopping it can definitely be done. it helps when you have a strong support system around you. I wish you the best of luck. Your post made me want to reaffirm to be drink free. yay to being sober ~
  • yellownickel
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    You remind me of my mother. She cannot go a day without beer and up until a few years ago I was trending in that same direction (except with hard liquor). I love my mom but I dont want to end up like her, hiding/repressing pain by just drinking in hopes to sleep with no dreams (not saying that that is your reason for your past drinking). So I stopped cold turkey. I managed to go about 2 years straight without a drink at all. During the summer or friend gatherings its hard because those are the scenarios where I'd have something to drink. Last friday was so warm, I just ended up buying some vodka, I made 2 very stiff drinks but I wasn't happy afterwards, the buzz lasted for a short time, and I threw the rest down the drain. If you're really serious about stopping it can definitely be done. it helps when you have a strong support system around you. I wish you the best of luck. Your post made me want to reaffirm to be drink free. yay to being sober ~

You're awesome. You can do anything. Thank you!
  • mickey2942
    mickey2942 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you better give your money and car keys to someone.