P90X

Options

Replies

• Krsheal
    Krsheal Posts: 12
    Options
    I tried it today for the 1st time. I will try again another day before it wasn't successful for me.

127358.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jokerrn
    jokerrn Posts: 51
    Options
    Back on track today. Diet was good and got in Chest and Back and AbR X. The recovery drink is awesome! I hope it really is good for you, because I love the stuff.

Do you guys have any thoughts on drinking it late at night after a workout? The last couple of days, I haven't been able to workout until after 10pm. Is it bad to drink all that sugar and then go to bed within and hour or so? One of the things I picked up from the nutrition plan is 'no undigested carbs in your belly when you go to bed.' Wondering if it's different if you just worked out.

CJ - good to hear you didn't get the pizza. I may not lose another pound, but there is no way that I am sweating this much and not going to see results. I am confident they will come. Keep it up.
  • gfr3228
    gfr3228 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good job getting back on track joker. I don't eat before I go to bed but just my opinion, I think you'd be fine taking in the calories as long as you've worked out. I'm typically a runner before p90x and I exercise late at night a lot. I think you've already burned so many calories, and it doesn't stop when you stop exercising, that you're better off with a recovery drink. Sleep is already a metabolic state, and the revved up metabolism at bedtime will just add to this.

Haven't tried the recovery drink yet but am considering it. I'm typically drinking skim milk with carnation instant breakfast and it seems to be a decent alternative, just a little short on the protein. I may consider it later when the initial sting of the cost of the program wears off1:noway:

I had plyo today and pushed as hard as I could. Did everything they did except short breaks during hot feet. Man do I feel good and very proud of myself.:happy:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    I finished 90 days of P90X about a month ago. I loved it and it worked pretty well for me. I didn't lose any weight, but I went from 23 is percent body fat down to 16% body fat. I had to buy some skin calipers to measure and use some fancy equation to calculate. If you get to where you are not losing weight, I would recommend the skin calipers to measure fat. You may be losing fat and adding muscle, and if this is the case you might not see it on the scales. I am still trying to get a little more lean and the only way to measure this is the skin calipers. I am constantly going up and down a couple of pounds on the scale. The scale just doesn't give you enough information, there is a lot more to your progress than weight. Skin calipers can be purchased for less than $15.

I now have a gym membership and I am doing Fit-for-Life for 12 weeks to see which I like better, it or P90X.
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    My brother has it but hasn't used it ONCE. So I might "borrow" them from him to check it out. I've heard nothing but good about the program!
  • fjtcjt
    Options
    gfr3228- I didn't want to spend the money on the recovery drink either. I have been using Super Advanced Whey Protein from Walmart (around $13). I like the chocolate, and I mix it with milk. Taste pretty good to me. This works for me and you can have one scoop for two scoops depending on how many grams of protein you want.

Plyo is a killer, I was able to do it all the way through from early on, but it never got much easier. I started to count down the number of times I had to do the plyo workouts. Now that I am done with the 90 days, it and the ab ripper are the two workouts that I continue to do the most. I need to do the plyo workout with my new heart rate monitor so I can estimate how many calories it is burning. I would also like to see how high my heart rate gets. I know it has to be close to max heart rate!
  • gfr3228
    gfr3228 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've tried to compare their recovery drink with many of the others commercially on the market that I can get locally. I still us cellmass from the lifting days but it's not really like the carb/protein drink beachbody pushes. I can't blame them, read the threads and they push theirs enough it seems at least 80% of the members use it. It may really be that special, but I can't help thinking it all comes back to sales and that most all are about the same.

Post back about the new program. As it stands right now, I'm planning repetitive p90x phases. Always interested in what else is out there though. In less than 2 weeks I've dropped 2% body fat and am very pleased with the initial results.
  • fjtcjt
    Options
    I would stick with P90X as well, but my wife doesn't want me doing it in the morning because I might wake her and/or the kids up and she doesn't want me doing it when I get home because I need to spend time with the kids (which I agree with). So my only option is to leave the house early and go to a gym. Since I have access to all of the weights, I thought I would use them. Fit-for-Life uses 1 minute rest between most sets ( going progressively from 12 reps, 10, 8, 6, 12, 12) except for the last set of each muscle group you do 12 reps at max intensity and then find another weight and do 12 more reps at max intensity with no rest. Then you take 2 minutes and go to a different body part. Then you do cardio every other day, 20 minutes cycling between medium to high intensity. My heart rate stays pretty high during the 20 minutes, then I do the Ab ripper on cardio days as well. So far my % body fat keeps decreasing each week and I have stayed at the same weight, if I can maintain a good diet this should continue.
  • dsthil08
    Options
    how many times a week do you do the program i am consiering buying it but i don't want to spend the money if it is not going to work
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    how many times a week do you do the program i am consiering buying it but i don't want to spend the money if it is not going to work

It is a 6 day a week program (although the 7th day is stretchX day or rest depending on what you want to do). Most workouts are an hour long and you also do Ab Ripper X three times a week which is about 16 min long. It's an intense program but you will see results!!!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've tried to compare their recovery drink with many of the others commercially on the market that I can get locally. I still us cellmass from the lifting days but it's not really like the carb/protein drink beachbody pushes. I can't blame them, read the threads and they push theirs enough it seems at least 80% of the members use it. It may really be that special, but I can't help thinking it all comes back to sales and that most all are about the same.

Post back about the new program. As it stands right now, I'm planning repetitive p90x phases. Always interested in what else is out there though. In less than 2 weeks I've dropped 2% body fat and am very pleased with the initial results.

The most important thing is that you get in a 4:1 carb: protein ratio. I've done a lot of reading on recovery drinks and that is the ratio recommended. (good book to read if you're interested is Nutrient Timing by Ivy) I personally love the P90X recovery because it tastes like a creamsicle (and I get the coach discount so that helps! :laugh: ). Another good option is 8oz juice and 1 scoop of protein powder. HTH!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    My brother has it but hasn't used it ONCE. So I might "borrow" them from him to check it out. I've heard nothing but good about the program!

Oh yeah, if he isn't using it then definitely *borrow* it!! It's an awesome program!

Jess
  • dsthil08
    Options
    Thanks jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Back on track today. Diet was good and got in Chest and Back and AbR X. The recovery drink is awesome! I hope it really is good for you, because I love the stuff.

Do you guys have any thoughts on drinking it late at night after a workout? The last couple of days, I haven't been able to workout until after 10pm. Is it bad to drink all that sugar and then go to bed within and hour or so? One of the things I picked up from the nutrition plan is 'no undigested carbs in your belly when you go to bed.' Wondering if it's different if you just worked out.

If you are working out at night, definitely take the recovery after. Good idea to wait an hour before bed. You need those nutrients after the workout to help refuel! I'm a morning exerciser so I don't have that problem!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks jess

No prob! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

Jess
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Hey Jess, have you tried the P90X extreme? I ordered it yesterday to try after phase 3. Just curious.
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hey Jess, have you tried the P90X extreme? I ordered it yesterday to try after phase 3. Just curious.

P90X Plus??? Yep, I have them too, you will love them!! I think the Abs/ core + is one of the greatest ab workouts!! Kenpo Plus and Interval Plus are awesome cardio too! Let me know what you think!
    I have a 90 day routine that mixes up the X and X+, let me know if you are interested!

Jess
  • cjbranson
    cjbranson Posts: 121
    Options
    I finished 90 days of P90X about a month ago. I loved it and it worked pretty well for me. I didn't lose any weight, but I went from 23 is percent body fat down to 16% body fat. I had to buy some skin calipers to measure and use some fancy equation to calculate. If you get to where you are not losing weight, I would recommend the skin calipers to measure fat. You may be losing fat and adding muscle, and if this is the case you might not see it on the scales. I am still trying to get a little more lean and the only way to measure this is the skin calipers. I am constantly going up and down a couple of pounds on the scale. The scale just doesn't give you enough information, there is a lot more to your progress than weight. Skin calipers can be purchased for less than $15.

I now have a gym membership and I am doing Fit-for-Life for 12 weeks to see which I like better, it or P90X.

Thanks for posting this. I've been stressed big time about not seeing my scale budge :grumble: so I think I'll get one of those skin calipers to measure my body fat. Congrats on finishing P90X! I'm on day 19 and I can't wait to say I've made it all the way through!
  • fjtcjt
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I've been stressed big time about not seeing my scale budge :grumble: so I think I'll get one of those skin calipers to measure my body fat. Congrats on finishing P90X! I'm on day 19 and I can't wait to say I've made it all the way through!

No problem. I visited the blogs that you and your husband post. I enjoyed reading them, and appreciate the scripture as well! Good luck with the P90X stick with it, you will see great results!
  • kenewayne
    kenewayne Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    WOW! Are you guys ever encouraging!! I hate to admit it, but I haven't posted on here (much less read) in a while, due to guilt! I just got caught up on everyone's progress, and have been re-inspired!:drinker: I missed 4 workouts (mostly because of sleep!:yawn: ), and cheated badly on my diet for 2 days! I wasn't seeing much change after 2 weeks on the program (P90X), so started getting into a "funk"...but after getting caught up on this thread, it seems that everyone has the same issues, that you guys are over coming! GREAT JOB!!! And thanks to all for keeping me going! :bigsmile: