P90X

Options

Replies

• cjbranson
    Options
    Now that we're all master yogi's who can do the crane? It is ridiculous! Makes me look forward to legs & back tomorrow that is for sure.:smile:

I can do it but believe me, it ain't pretty. I hold it for a few seconds and then... crash!
  • kenewayne
    kenewayne Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Did arms and back for the first time last night (Phase 2): LOVED IT! I always love a good arm workout! I kept telling my wife, "I think I could use some more weight"....untill the next exercise came along....then suddenly that 'light' weight magically became even heavier!! LOVE IT!!

Yoga tonight. I want everyone to say a prayer for me: Yoga master Ken is going to attempt a 4 move combo: starting with corpse, I will move into the 'fetal' pose, then into childs pose, and then...yes...I will attempt to cross my legs and finish with Ohms! I know, I know....could be a bit difficult. :bigsmile:
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Did arms and back for the first time last night (Phase 2): LOVED IT! I always love a good arm workout! I kept telling my wife, "I think I could use some more weight"....untill the next exercise came along....then suddenly that 'light' weight magically became even heavier!! LOVE IT!!

So are you able to do pullups, while doing this workout. After the first set of curls, my pullups go from 10 to 12 down to 3 or 4. I definately gives a good pump, but I just don't feel like I can do enough pullups to get the back workout in. I end up doing dumbbell rows more instead.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    The "fetal" pose sounds right up my alley... Yoga is definitely not one of my favorites. I don't know what my husband will think when he gets home-I'm going to have to lock the door to my garage so he won't have enough dirt on me to last the rest of our marriage, i.e. pictures of me falling on my face.:tongue: I had Core Synergistics last night and realized that it's already getting easier- or maybe I should say more do-able? I'm already seeing and feeling a difference in my legs, and I've lost 8 pounds since the start of all of this. I have Cardio X tonight, and am not looking forward to it-I have volleyball from 7-10 tonight. I'll definitely be burning those calories!
  • kenewayne
    kenewayne Posts: 169 Member
    Options

So are you able to do pullups, while doing this workout. After the first set of curls, my pullups go from 10 to 12 down to 3 or 4. I definately gives a good pump, but I just don't feel like I can do enough pullups to get the back workout in. I end up doing dumbbell rows more instead.

Well...I was able to do the pullups with the help from my trusty chair! :wink: However, corncob pull ups, and towel pull ups, turned out to be just "what I can do" pull ups! Yeah...I was fried!
  • melkman
    Options
    just got mine in the mail today! can't wait to get home and get started :bigsmile:
  • geo1177
    Options
    just got mine in the mail today! can't wait to get home and get started :bigsmile:
    That's great melkman. Congratz.

I've had a little set back but I'm slowly starting again. I'm doing what Resa told me and listening to my body.

Was sick but I'm recovering faster than expected. If I have to start from scratch, no biggie.

By the way, been reading everybody's posts. Everybody's doing great.:wink:

Haha. I've been doing yoga all day as well... (corpse pose):sick:
  • MissResa
    Options
    I hope you feel better, Geo...:flowerforyou: Keep doing what you can, and keep that blog going!!! I hurt my knee before, and it's starting to act up again now that I'm doing all the insane things Tony makes look so easy- sometimes, you can really start to dislike him for being so darn fit:tongue: . I'm still doing my workouts; I'm just being careful about what I do with that knee. I'm sure the other crap I'm doing on top of P90X isn't helping, but I'm very happy with my results from working out so hard. I wore a pair of jeans today that fit snug a couple of weeks ago, and I looked ridiculous pulling them up while I was out running errands. I don't know how long it typically takes to get visible results, but I notice some more definition in my legs and my arms are feeling more tight, too. As for yoga- I wonder if they have a "sore as all-hell" pose?...
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do a hybrid P90X workout? I go to the gym twice daily during the week and in the evening I try to do something with P90X as an added bonus. My schedule is such that either I am busy in the evening or too tired for an extra workout with the X. I don't go to the gym on weekends and try to do more P90X then. I am seeing good results, however. I guess it's not how you do it...just do something every day.
  • cjbranson
    Options

Good luck! The first week was pretty tough for me but I'm glad I kept pushing play. My husband and I are on day 34 today and while I wouldn't say things get easier, it's definitely been worth it!
  • cjbranson
    Options
    Hello all! Today is day 34 and going strong, well, most of the time. We have Kenpo on the menu and I'm feeling pretty sluggish because my precious 2 year old was up with an earache. He's feeling better today and slept in for me this morning... but, mommy is still tired :yawn: ! Maybe I can catch a nap, but I doubt it.

We had chest & back last night and I finally switched from the bands to chair assisted pull-ups! Whoa, that was tough for me. Jeremy was super supportive and helped push me when I needed it. So nice to be working out with someone (especially my hubby :love: ) ! If I were alone, I think I would have given up.

How are the rest of you out there in P90X land? :happy:
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Does anyone do a hybrid P90X workout? I go to the gym twice daily during the week and in the evening I try to do something with P90X as an added bonus. My schedule is such that either I am busy in the evening or too tired for an extra workout with the X. I don't go to the gym on weekends and try to do more P90X then. I am seeing good results, however. I guess it's not how you do it...just do something every day.

Yep, I have done the hybrids. When I was training last year for triathlons I would just do the 3 weight workouts from P90X a week and do my own cardio. I find that the weight training is what changed my body the most and I was still able to fit in the running, biking, and swimming. I also would only do the first set of each workout (like Chest & Back one round, one set of each from Shoulders & Arms, etc). Just lifted HEAVY (8 reps max) for each one and as many pullups/ pushups to failure. Let me know if you need suggestions!

Jess
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Hello all! Today is day 34 and going strong, well, most of the time. We have Kenpo on the menu and I'm feeling pretty sluggish because my precious 2 year old was up with an earache. He's feeling better today and slept in for me this morning... but, mommy is still tired :yawn: ! Maybe I can catch a nap, but I doubt it.

We had chest & back last night and I finally switched from the bands to chair assisted pull-ups! Whoa, that was tough for me. Jeremy was super supportive and helped push me when I needed it. So nice to be working out with someone (especially my hubby :love: ) ! If I were alone, I think I would have given up.

Great job!! I find that the assisted pullups are what really made a difference for me. They really gave me strength to do the full ones! Also, try to for your last rep once you are lowering yourself down go REALLY slow. As slowly as possible (don't just drop down). That really helps you build strength. Hope your 2yo is feeling better, my 7yo has had her fair share of ear infections!! (and has had 2 sets of tubes!!).

Jess
  • MissResa
    Options

Poor kid, and poor mommy!!! I hope that he feels better, and that you get enough rest... I have to wait until my husband gets home, but I talked with him on the phone and he said he was going to install a pull-up bar for me in the garage. The bands that I have just weren't cutting it, and I was doing a crazy amount of reps. Hope everything is going okay!!!
  • kak1018
    kak1018 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I think P90 is much more fun with a partner. Many days my hubby was my rock to keep me going, and if we don't do it together he always asks me if I brought it today?

Jes thanks for all your help and tips with this process. I am in week 10 and planning life after P90X my goal is to keep up with the weights, and pick up my own cardio so I am ready for a half marathon in May. Feb. 26 is offically my last day with P90 have to say kind of sad about it. I might bring back the whole rotation every so often.
  • MissResa
    Options
    Just finished Shoulders & Arms, and I am feeling GOOOOOOOD!!! There is something about the weight training in this program that makes me feel empowered. I'm starting to wonder if I should have done the Classic instead of the Lean program, but I think it would be a bad idea to switch 2 weeks into it. Maybe my next 90 day cycle? Hope everyone is doing great(and feeling better).:happy:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Thanks jessmomof3 for your input. I am finishing week 3 of get-back-in-shape-after-the-holidays. I am trying to get some fast results (mostly fat loss) during the first month, then work on my strength before I get outdoors in the spring. In about 2 weeks during the strength training phase I will increase my cals. a bit and work on adding some more muscle (cutting down slightly on cardio). I am doing two 45-min workouts daily during the week, and if I am able, a part of a P90X workout after work. My workouts are divided between HIIT on the elliptical or treadmill until I hit about 250 cals burned, then lift weights for the remainder of the time. I do very little exercise on the weekend, maybe a little bike work on our home spinner bike. In your opinion, do you think I am overtraining? BTW, I am a 54 year old male, 5'8" and weigh about 155 lb. (weight is a guess as I refuse to get on the scale).
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just found out today that 3 of my coworkers are doing P90X, two males and one female. I think I am getting more and more convinced to do this program. I've been thinking about joining Bally's gym but I think this will be a better deal for me. I really dont want to start now because I am going home (Puerto Rico) for 2 wks in March. I KNOW I am going to gain a few pounds, I always do :laugh: :laugh: So P90X will help me lose them and even more!!! I just wish it would go on sale :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I just found out today that 3 of my coworkers are doing P90X, two males and one female. I think I am getting more and more convinced to do this program. I've been thinking about joining Bally's gym but I think this will be a better deal for me. I really dont want to start now because I am going home (Puerto Rico) for 2 wks in March. I KNOW I am going to gain a few pounds, I always do :laugh: :laugh: So P90X will help me lose them and even more!!! I just wish it would go on sale :laugh: :flowerforyou:

Do it, do it, do it... :laugh: How's that for a nudge to buy it? :laugh:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    Thanks jessmomof3 for your input. I am finishing week 3 of get-back-in-shape-after-the-holidays. I am trying to get some fast results (mostly fat loss) during the first month, then work on my strength before I get outdoors in the spring. In about 2 weeks during the strength training phase I will increase my cals. a bit and work on adding some more muscle (cutting down slightly on cardio). I am doing two 45-min workouts daily during the week, and if I am able, a part of a P90X workout after work. My workouts are divided between HIIT on the elliptical or treadmill until I hit about 250 cals burned, then lift weights for the remainder of the time. I do very little exercise on the weekend, maybe a little bike work on our home spinner bike. In your opinion, do you think I am overtraining? BTW, I am a 54 year old male, 5'8" and weigh about 155 lb. (weight is a guess as I refuse to get on the scale).

I think you'll be ok, but make sure you are listening to your body. If you feel extra tired or like you are overtraining take a rest or yoga day. My recommendation for teh weighted part of the program would definitely be to do the 30 min of the weight workouts, go as heavy as you can and do 1 set of Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms, and then just do the first 30 min or pick & choose your exercises for Chest, Shoulders & Tri's, Back & Biceps, and Legs & Back. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jess