Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Crisseyda wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    I'll just point back to my first statement: CICO ignores the hormonal effects of foods, which actually matters way more than their calorie count.

CICO puts the focus on calories. Not all calories are created equal. Not all fats are created equal. Not all carbs are created equal. Not all proteins are created equal. That's just a reality. Also, if CICO was 100% necessary, then people couldn't lose weight without it. And yet, many people do. They simply eat in a way that promotes being satisfied and losing weight.

That being said, counting calories can be a good tool for understanding your macro breakdown, but it is definitely not going to work if your focus in on calories and not quality of food.

As if it wasn't glaringly obvious that you have no clue whatsoever what you're talking about, there it is.

As if it wasn't glaringly obvious that you have no clue whatsoever about what I'm talking about, so there it is.

None of do, so there!

You've made up your mind. You have your paradigm. It's overly simplistic and unhelpful. I'm not sure why you constantly knock down people who say anything else. Share your simplistic advice and move on. It's same advice people hear everywhere, even from Coca Cola advertisements, no less. There's no depth to it. Why hate on people who share anything more detailed about nutrition?

What are you talking about? Your posts are like a drumbeat, you keep repeating the same thing over and over again but it is still wrong. The only diet one needs to follow is the one that can adhere to for the rest of one's life. Macros are personal.

Macros are personal. Interesting... you completely ignored what I actually said.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'll just point back to my first statement: CICO ignores the hormonal effects of foods, which actually matters way more than their calorie count.

CICO puts the focus on calories. Not all calories are created equal. Not all fats are created equal. Not all carbs are created equal. Not all proteins are created equal. That's just a reality. Also, if CICO was 100% necessary, then people couldn't lose weight without it. And yet, many people do. They simply eat in a way that promotes being satisfied and losing weight.

That being said, counting calories can be a good tool for understanding your macro breakdown, but it is definitely not going to work if your focus in on calories and not quality of food.

As if it wasn't glaringly obvious that you have no clue whatsoever what you're talking about, there it is.

As if it wasn't glaringly obvious that you have no clue whatsoever about what I'm talking about, so there it is.

None of do, so there!

You've made up your mind. You have your paradigm. It's overly simplistic and unhelpful. I'm not sure why you constantly knock down people who say anything else. Share your simplistic advice and move on. It's same advice people hear everywhere, even from Coca Cola advertisements, no less. There's no depth to it. Why hate on people who share anything more detailed about nutrition?

What are you talking about? Your posts are like a drumbeat, you keep repeating the same thing over and over again but it is still wrong. The only diet one needs to follow is the one that can adhere to for the rest of one's life. Macros are personal.

Macros are personal. Interesting... you completely ignored what I actually said.

Dumb it down for me then
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

None of do, so there!

Almost everyone here says - CICO for weight loss, but of course nutrition is important. Nobody says it doesn't matter what you eat for health or body comp.

Regardless, I've read all the links and videos etc you've posted, and none of them convinced me I need to switch to LCHF in order to be healthy or "effortlessly" thin. In fact, I struggled on and off for 5 years trying to lose 20 lbs, until I came here and read all the posts about CICO. I pretty easily then lost the weight, and I was not hungry all the time. And I eat more whole food since I've been reading the posts by all the veteran posters you keep saying are overly simplistic and unhelpful.
  • Crisseyda
    Crisseyda Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    @JaneSnowe

I never said it was wrong, just incomplete and unhelpful.

@NorthCascades

Nope, I'm saying there are people who are able to lose weight without counting their calories, but instead choosing satisfying foods that don't promote overconsumption. A combination of both is still fine, but type of food matters more than calorie count.

@queenliz99

The hormonal effects of food matter more than their calorie count. The human body is not going to process 100 calories of donuts in the same way as 100 calories of sardines. I'm not sure why this is a confusing concept.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @JaneSnowe

@NorthCascades

Nope, I'm saying there are people who are able to lose weight without counting their calories, but instead choosing satisfying foods that don't promote overconsumption. A combination of both is still fine, but type of food matters more than calorie count.

@queenliz99

The hormonal effects of food matter more than their calorie count. The human body is not going to process 100 calories of donuts in the same way as 100 calories of sardines. I'm not sure why this is a confusing concept.

CICO doesn't mean you have to count calories. It means the only why to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn and the only way to gain weight is to eat more calories than you burn. The method used to get there doesn't change that.

Of course macros and micros matter for health. CICO doesn't doesn't get in the way of that.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    @JaneSnowe

I disagree that it's unhelpful.

As for being incomplete, I agree that there is a serious lack of nutrition education in many countries, but CICO can be a good--not necessarily the only--starting point for people who want to learn. But yes, it shouldn't be the only component of said education. Many people here take pains to give a rounded yet easy to understand explanation of weight loss and nutrition.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    @JaneSnowe

@NorthCascades

@queenliz99

Donuts = happiness = serotonin

Sardines = ick = sadness --> donuts = happiness etc.

QED
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,643 Member
    Options

My 125 lb weight loss by counting calories proves you wrong.

Oh, and while people say CICO doesn't mean a lack of nutrition, I also lost that 125 lbs by eating a lot of "crap" foods.

Also, all fats/carbs/protein *are* created equal when it comes to calories. 9 calories/gm for fats, and 4 calories/gm for carbs and protein.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    For weight loss or gain CICO matters but personally I don't want to look skinny Fat so I pay close attention to my Macros, know what it takes to maintain muscle calorie wise and lift like a beast..
  • nettiklive
    nettiklive Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so according to your position, I can eat less calories than I burn and because of hormones, I will gain weight? I did not know that hormones trumped physics and math ...

I use CICO and I don't suffer from starving, and the math part of it is pretty basic...

I don't think that's what the poster meant.

I think what people mean by saying hormones matter is that hormones are technically capable of grinding your metabolism to that much of a halt that it would be next to impossible for a person to create a deficit under these conditions.

I posted about this on the debate board but no one responded, but I've always been curious about that. If you look at diseases like Cushing's, or pitutiary tumors, or people who take steroids, you'll see a massive, drastic, very rapid weight gain, with fat deposits in specific places, that seems to defy thermodynamics because the person will not be eating anywhere near that many excess calories. Often people will starve themselves to try and not gain but they still do. It's mystifying as to how it happens, but the only answer is hormones. Or in a less drastic scenario, in pregnancy a woman will begin gaining weight and fat even if her diet stays exactly the same as before baby, in spite of higher caloric needs. If you look at literature, they document that the metabolism slows way down and packs away fat in certain places to ensure nutrition for the fetus.

yes, it's still CICO in a way, and if you literally starve yourself you won't gain under either of these conditions. But it's entirely possible that, say, someone on steroids will die of malnutrition before they lose the fat gained due to treatment. Hormones are powerful.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    nettiklive wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    so according to your position, I can eat less calories than I burn and because of hormones, I will gain weight? I did not know that hormones trumped physics and math ...

I use CICO and I don't suffer from starving, and the math part of it is pretty basic...

I don't think that's what the poster meant.

I think what people mean by saying hormones matter is that hormones are technically capable of grinding your metabolism to that much of a halt that it would be next to impossible for a person to create a deficit under these conditions.

I posted about this on the debate board but no one responded, but I've always been curious about that. If you look at diseases like Cushing's, or pitutiary tumors, or people who take steroids, you'll see a massive, drastic, very rapid weight gain, with fat deposits in specific places, that seems to defy thermodynamics because the person will not be eating anywhere near that many excess calories. Often people will starve themselves to try and not gain but they still do. It's mystifying as to how it happens, but the only answer is hormones. Or in a less drastic scenario, in pregnancy a woman will begin gaining weight and fat even if her diet stays exactly the same as before baby, in spite of higher caloric needs. If you look at literature, they document that the metabolism slows way down and packs away fat in certain places to ensure nutrition for the fetus.

yes, it's still CICO in a way, and if you literally starve yourself you won't gain under either of these conditions. But it's entirely possible that, say, someone on steroids will die of malnutrition before they lose the fat gained due to treatment. Hormones are powerful.

Hormones aren't able to do that though. Because physics. All work performed needs energy. That includes your brain function (that's already a good 20% of your total calories!), all other organs and then every single movement you do. If your body does work equalling X calories, it will have to use X calories, no way around that. Your body can downregulate internal functions to some extent, but it can not ever lower it so much that you can't lose weight.

If your body could burn less just like that, why doesn't it do that all the time? Why are there people starving who are just skin and bones, why aren't those people's hormones making them need next to nothing to survive the times of low food? Have you ever seen someone who starved to death who was fat?