The body-face dilemma after 40

Options

Replies

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and my face looks way better since I lost 27 pounds. (if I do say so myself ;) )

Same here with a loss currently of 37lbs.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My mom had chubby cheeks when young and then hollow cheeks as an adult - I am not sure when it happened but I was always convinced that one day I would get out of bed and my face would have collapsed.

I'm 48 and it hasn't happened yet. Mind you, I have used night cream since my twenties and pretty much have never washed my face without applying moisturizer, and I live in a hot humid climate, I think all of those things help. I do take some sun, but not much.

I'm thinking that the menopause may be the pivot for me, though. I'm pretty happy with my health and looks now, and wasn't when I was young so thus far it's been a slow upward trend, but I do fear the menopause.
  • wisdomfromyou
    wisdomfromyou Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - your direction does help.

My goal us is lose no more than 16 lbs at this point. I'm 176... Need to go to 159 and then done. That would put me right at the 24.9 BMI. Maintenance will be key from that point on. Last year I had reached 8 lbs less than my goal now but I don't want to go back there.

A BMI of 24.9, more muscle, fewer "downs" induced by health scares ( I suffer from major health anxiety) ...and maybe some fillers - and that should hopefully do the job. :)

All of you 40+ here look beautiful. Thank you again!

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I should note, I also quite like the Jack LaLane "face exercises". I know face muscles aren't a replacement for skin bounce but it can't hurt, is good for lymph movement and building at least some cushion in there. I feel silly as heck doing them but think it helps. Google 'em.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I will be 65 next week, and my face looks great after losing 61 pounds. There is a tiny bit of droop along the jawline, but nothing like it was when I had the extra weight.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    kkmsann <3 What a lovely post.
  • trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Remember that health is the root of all beauty- both in mind, body and spirit.

(On a practical note, I noticed some sagginess when I lost weight initially too (mostly on my thighs/derrière) but after a year of maintaining this has mostly gone away. You may find that your sagginess improves slowly over time too.

Finally, I use retin-A on my face, which I started in my 20s because of bad acne but now I use for anti-aging. This may be something you want to try. I've also started taking Biosil which is supposed to be good for both skin and bone density.

Hope this helps :smile: )
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Well, yes and no. We're all different.
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »

(On a practical note, I noticed some sagginess when I lost weight initially too (mostly on my thighs/derrière) but after a year of maintaining this has mostly gone away. You may find that your sagginess improves slowly over time too.

Finally, I use retin-A on my face, which I started in my 20s because of bad acne but now I use for anti-aging. This may be something you want to try. I've also started taking Biosil which is supposed to be good for both skin and bone density.

Do you think Biosil is worth the $?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and have also lost about 30 pounds. I did it slowly, but I have wrinkles now, for the first time in my life. I've learned to accept them and my boyfriend swears they are sexy. <shrug> I think he's too busy staring at my booty and abs to notice. ;)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am almost 44...when I had lost the first 30lbs...I got mistaken for my son's older sister...so yah no.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the shape of your face. I like my face better when I'm thin because I have nice cheekbones and it's nice when they aren't covered by fat. But more importantly I really dislike a fat neck.

But time takes it's toll on your face whether you are heavy or thin. I'll happily settle for people thinking I'm younger based on my tight *kitten* and toned arms instead of my face.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    First off, there's no magic number that everything starts falling apart. Genetics, lifestyle , yoyo dieting, lack of sun protection, smoking and medication use, poor eating habits, all contribute to aging but people start to show the effects at different ages.
    I'm not of the camp that it is what it is.
    At 55, I don't look like I did at 20 or even 40, but I try and live a healthy lifestyle and do the best with what I have at THAT age.
    Believe me, 70 year old you will look at your current photos and think how great you look.
    I also believe that the best part of being a woman is the things we have available today to enhance our looks.
    I take advantage of good creams, vitamins, hair color (damn, you can do it yourself in 30 minutes at home for $10 a box) fake back tanning and a great sunscreen.
    While I've gotten a little help from a good doctor with fillers and Botox from time to time. I haven't in 5 years and feel I'm due.
    I do understand what you're saying though, because once at around 38 I crashed dieted on a 1000 calorie a day diet for a pool party event and thought I looked great and when I saw photos I was mortified at how terrible my skin firmness was.
    I never forgot that and since have aimed for 1/2 lb to 1 lb TOPS in weight loss per week.
    Go see a cosmetic surgeon if you're so inclined. Or just accentuate your favorite body parts!!
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    trina1049 wrote: »
    I'm 66 going on 67; dropped 51-52 lbs over the last year +. I've never felt better or have had so much energy in my life. That's beauty. None of us can stop time and I don't know that I'd want to. My 96 year old mother is still going strong and is beautiful inside and out. Just the fact that we're vertical is all the beauty we need.

I love everything about this^^

• trusty48
    trusty48 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    trusty48 wrote: »

Do you think Biosil is worth the $?

It's probably best to do your own research on this- but I think Biosil is worth the money, especially for the possible bone density effects. I have used it for about 3 months and it does seem like my skin, hair and nails have improved but the change is subtle and it's hard to be certain.

Right now, I'm using the liquid which is a little cheaper than taking the pills. Be warned, however, it does taste pretty bad. You will want to mix it with some water or somethings before taking it (!)