Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Should junk food be taxed?

Options

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Thinking though.

Perhaps a "taxed unless the manufacturer can prove it meets specific health standards" could make sense. It might make it so that manufacturers strive to make their products a bit more "healthy". They would have incentives in that more people might buy the product.

That being said... I can see that system failing in other aspects already. Like low fat items - chalk full of fillers (or so I hear), but marketed as healthier than full fat alternatives. Or organic.. still full of pesticides, just not the ones on the "no-no" list... (or so I've heard).

I don't know how you establish guidelines that aren't murky. Do you tax all chips, or would oven-baked ones get an exemption for trying to be healthier? Is reducing fat a good way to tell if something is healthier? Wait, no, we did that already and it was a terrible idea. Do you have to reduce fat while not adding more than 5% sugar? Or do we just go on calorie ratios - reduce calories by 30% or more and it's tax-exempt? But then do you end up with people consuming more because they're "healthy," defeating the whole purpose?
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Taxes were not designed to manipulate behavior. Their purpose is to create revenue for government functions (roads, defense, etc) Creating an additional tax for "junk" food seems illegal or at least, contrary to the original "spirit" of taxes.

That is one of the purposes of taxes, yes. However, tax policy, fiscal policy, and monetary policy are all utilized to encourage state and local governments, NGO's, businesses, and even individuals to make decisions supported by the federal government. For example, the federal government does not have the authority to regulate intra-state commerce. By providing highway funds to states that adopt minimum regulations for CMV's, the federal government encourages coerces states to make a certain decision.

FIFY - You know this exceeds the boundaries of the federalist model, no?

we blew out the federalist model when Lincoln went to war with the south over state's rights..just saying...

Yeah... I know... ::kicks rock::
  • kbarrett0701
    kbarrett0701 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I see both sides of the issue. I'm no fan of more government regulation, but it needs to start with the ones who choose to consume it.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hasn't the government taken away enough of our money and Liberty already???

Liberty? "Give me tax-free cheesy poofs, or give me death!" :disappointed:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Trust me, too much of anything will make one gain weight.

Nailed it!!

I mean, I can go to Chipolte and down a 1,200 calorie burrito stuffed with "healthy food" for lunch, plus a 500 calorie breakfast of eggs and veggies, then a 500 calorie dinner of grilled chicken and veggies EVERY DAY of my life. That's 2,200 calories a day. 300 calories over what my body needs. All of that extra food made me fat, but all of it is considered healthy. There wasn't one chip, cookie, candy, etc in that whole day. But guess what? I'm 40lbs overweight because I ate too much food and didn't burn off the extra 300 calories a day. I didn't eat junk, but I'm fat and I'm at risk of diabetes. Not because I was binging on carbs, because I ate too many calories.

A Chipotle burrito is anything but low carb. Unless you get a salad instead of a burrito, skip the rice, skip the beans... then it can be considered low carb.

Did she say it was low carb, or that she was low carb? I'm trying to understand why you are qualifying her statement, which was meant to support her stance (which I agree with, btw) that it isn't junk food that makes people fat, it is too many calories in general, regardless of their source.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Hasn't the government taken away enough of our money and Liberty already???

Liberty? "Give me tax-free cheesy poofs, or give me death!" :disappointed:

Hah, I prefer the NH motto version - live free or die! Incidentally, you can also buy tax-free cheesy poofs there. :wink: It also happens to be on the lower end of obesity rates at a state level despite the rampant availability of tax-free "junk food."

ETA - not that I believe their taxes have anything at all to do with their obesity rates one way or the other.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Well, since junk food doesn't make people fat, too much food does, I don't see why it would help.

Nailed it!!

I mean, I can go to Chipolte and down a 1,200 calorie burrito stuffed with "healthy food" for lunch, plus a 500 calorie breakfast of eggs and veggies, then a 500 calorie dinner of grilled chicken and veggies EVERY DAY of my life. That's 2,200 calories a day. 300 calories over what my body needs. All of that extra food made me fat, but all of it is considered healthy. There wasn't one chip, cookie, candy, etc in that whole day. But guess what? I'm 40lbs overweight because I ate too much food and didn't burn off the extra 300 calories a day. I didn't eat junk, but I'm fat and I'm at risk of diabetes. Not because I was binging on carbs, because I ate too many calories.

A Chipotle burrito is anything but low carb. Unless you get a salad instead of a burrito, skip the rice, skip the beans... then it can be considered low carb.

Did she say it was low carb, or that she was low carb? I'm trying to understand why you are qualifying her statement, which was meant to support her stance (which I agree with, btw) that it isn't junk food that makes people fat, it is too many calories in general, regardless of their source.

"not because I was binging on carbs" after describing a meal that was a carb binge. I know she got rice and/or beans in her burrito for this, as the tortilla itself isn't quite a binge level of carbs and 1,200 calories shows that it had to have included at least beans (all other available ingredients even with the highest calorie meat still don't add up to 1,200 unless adding at least beans).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Something just put up, that I feel does a pretty good job of explaining the problem. Paul's always been a *kitten* wealth of good information, and (imo) solid opinions.

http://www.lift-run-bang.com/2016/06/why-we-wont-or-cant-fix-problem-of.html
  • Ruatine
    Options

Nailed it!!

"not because I was binging on carbs" after describing a meal that was a carb binge. I know she got rice and/or beans in her burrito for this, as the tortilla itself isn't quite a binge level of carbs and 1,200 calories shows that it had to have included at least beans (all other available ingredients even with the highest calorie meat still don't add up to 1,200 unless adding at least beans).

How is a single meal, even at 70-80% carbs, a "binge", especially in context of the other hypothetical meals described?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

Nailed it!!

How is a single meal, even at 70-80% carbs, a "binge", especially in context of the other hypothetical meals described?

Erm, a 1200 calorie meal, made up of 70-80% of any single macro could easily be called a binge.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Nailed it!!

@kristen6350 would have to confirm but I took her comment to mean that it didn't matter the individual components of what she was eating, nor the individual macros. That everything in her meal would slip by the "junk food" tax but she could easily end up overweight from over consuming calories. Junk food, carbs, etc wouldn't make a difference, it is too many calories that cause weight gain, and obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, not consumption of one food or a particular macro.
  • Ruatine
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »

Nailed it!!

Erm, a 1200 calorie meal, made up of 70-80% of any single macro could easily be called a binge.

Why?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Nailed it!!

@kristen6350 would have to confirm but I took her comment to mean that it didn't matter the individual components of what she was eating, nor the individual macros. That everything in her meal would slip by the "junk food" tax but she could easily end up overweight from over consuming calories. Junk food, carbs, etc wouldn't make a difference, it is too many calories that cause weight gain, and obesity is a risk factor for diabetes, not consumption of one food or a particular macro.

That's another strange little rub. Do we count the individual items? Do we count the whole? What defines the junk aspect? Too many kcal to not enough micros? *kitten*, in that case, every starch is a junk food. Too much fat to not enough micros? In that case, every cooking oil is a junk food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Nailed it!!

This is how I understood what she had said. Chipotle is a calorie bomb if not careful. She said nothing about carbs.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Nailed it!!

That's another strange little rub. Do we count the individual items? Do we count the whole? What defines the junk aspect? Too many kcal to not enough micros? *kitten*, in that case, every starch is a junk food. Too much fat to not enough micros? In that case, every cooking oil is a junk food.

Right. That's the point I think many are making, how would you begin to define junk food to know what to tax?
  • Ruatine
    Options

Nailed it!!

Right. That's the point I think many are making, how would you begin to define junk food to know what to tax?

Especially considering that context is king for anything (or meal) someone eats.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    fbmandy55 wrote: »
    HELL to the NAW.

And taxation is theft.

Friend request sent.
  • dlm7507
    dlm7507 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Taxation is theft.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    First, there is as much of a commonly-understood definition of what is "junk food" as there is of the term "assault weapon" (in other words, there is no commonly-understood definition). Second, taxation just means more money going into government coffers, and we all know how sensibly they spend it. Third, "junk food" doesn't cause obesity or diabetes, sugar doesn't cause obesity or diabetes. Diabetes (specifically Type II diabetes) is a metabolic syndrome with multiple risk factors, chief among them being obesity. And, obesity is caused by nothing other than chronically excessive caloric intake.

Given all of that, let's just say we can all agree on what a definition of "junk food" actually is. Obviously it would include some calorically-dense, nutritionally-sparse food items, but probably not others. So, the substitution effect would set it. Yes, making something cost more does result in that something being consumed less.

But people will eat, and people will want to eat things that taste good - and so as certain (likely prepackaged, mass-produced foods) might get slapped with taxes (because they're "junk food"), people will just substitute other things. Sales of donut makers and home deep-friers would soar. People would learn how to bake cookies, cake, etc. more (I already am pretty handy with baking stuff like this - it's actually pretty easy).

I also think the idea that taxation has decreased the rates of smoking in the US is quite overblown. I think more than anything, social approbrium, the increasing popularity of bans on indoor smoking, etc., and also education about the dangers of smoking - these have had a much greater effect than taxation.

Finally, taxation, when taken to a high enough level, can incentivize black markets. It's already happening for tobacco (New York has a bustling business in illegal and smuggled cigarettes due to their punishingly high tax rates). You want to see it happen for "junk food"? Try taxing donuts five bucks a pop and see what happens, as an example. You might see "bake-easies" pop up across the US. Which would be kind of funny, actually.

This^^^ ETA: High Five!!