Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

FDA approves stomach pump

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Takes 10 minutes draining process?
    In the bathroom toilet?
    Golden Corrall and other all you can eat places will have special stalls in the future.
    Next to the transgender toilet.
    Soundproof so you can't hear the goop falling in the toilet.

Everyone will have these.
    Imagine how awesome to spend a day at an all you can eat place.
    You can eat everything 10 times over.
    I would use all the uses in just a couple of weeks.
    Couples could get these together. Talk about date night.

This is wrong on too many levels.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    I think I just threw up 30% in my mouth - no pump required
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    edited June 2016
    Takes 10 minutes draining process?
    In the bathroom toilet?
    Golden Corrall and other all you can eat places will have special stalls in the future.
    Next to the transgender toilet.
    Soundproof so you can't hear the goop falling in the toilet.

Everyone will have these.
    Imagine how awesome to spend a day at an all you can eat place.
    You can eat everything 10 times over.
    I would use all the uses in just a couple of weeks.
    Couples could get these together. Talk about date night.

Wow! Very offensive. Especially on a weight loss forum. Adds nothing to the debate but nastiness.

I doubt I would do this but I wouldn't judge people if they chose to. I have thought about surgery and wouldn't hesitate if counting calories didn't work. I have an open mind to weight loss interventions. I would rather someone have surgical intervention than dying from their obesity. Counting calories should work for all but it doesn't.

I sincerely hope that anyone who is considering the pump never sees this thread.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    If it works and it's safe, it could be a good thing.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    This has bad idea written all over it. They'll be handing these things out left and right no doubt. That port makes me even more nervous than getting cut open for normal gastric surgery.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    rowlandsw wrote: »
    This has bad idea written all over it. They'll be handing these things out left and right no doubt. That port makes me even more nervous than getting cut open for normal gastric surgery.

I'm guessing you don't know much about g-tubes. They are quite safe. Lots of people live with them permanently for medical problems.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm just thinking out loud here.
    I think I just threw up 30% in my mouth - no pump required

This kind of brings up a good point. Would we ever prescribe purging as a response to morbid obesity? Then again, maybe some of the consequences of self administered purging would be alleviated by this. Also, this device governs it, which would be difficult to teach to someone. I just don't know.

I have mixed feelings about this because I feel that I don't have all the parameters to make an informed decision. I can see @NorthCascades point. I can also see everyone else's. I am inclined to go to my default of allowing the patient to take the responsibility for the choice and the consequences of that choice.
  • windee52
    windee52 Posts: 1,690 Member
    This is one of those thing that just because you can, doesn't mean you should! How can this possibly help anyone?!
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2016
    windee52 wrote: »
    This is one of those thing that just because you can, doesn't mean you should! How can this possibly help anyone?!

It helps because it removes calories from your stomach.

Easier solution would be to not put the calories in your stomach in the first place. But what do I know.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    DrEnalg wrote: »

Easier solution would be to not put the calories in your stomach in the first place. But what do I know.

It's not easy for some to simply not put the calories in their stomach. I'll admit I don't really understand the struggle with obesity but I do understand that it is a very real struggle for some.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    @NorthCascades I have been through eating disorder treatment many times ...

This treatment is only going to be available to people with a BMI of 35+. I don't know how tall you are, but you probably do. Go find a BMI calculator and see how much you'd have to weigh to achieve that.

Not a whole lot. At 5'5 my BMI would be 35 at 211 pounds. So, we're not exactly talking about housebound folks here.
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    I think the whole thing upsets me because of the waste more than anything. I don't understand people going to have themselves surgically altered so they can waste food while people go hungry every day. It's mind boggling to me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Maybe instead of pouring the food out of their stomachs and into the toilet, they should mail it to hungry people in other countries. :wink:
  • MrSimmers
    MrSimmers Posts: 32 Member
    Seems a little excessive to be honest
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Maybe instead of pouring the food out of their stomachs and into the toilet, they should mail it to hungry people in other countries. :wink:

Please tell me you meant prior to eating it. Otherwise ... eww.

It does remind me when I was a little kid and my friends' parents would tell me I needed to clean my plate because there were starving children in Africa (or wherever). I always told them we should box up my plate and send it 'cause I didn't want it. They never knew quite how to respond to that other than to get angry and tell me to quit the back talk.

I was a mouthy little brat :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    I think the whole thing upsets me because of the waste more than anything. I don't understand people going to have themselves surgically altered so they can waste food while people go hungry every day. It's mind boggling to me.

The two are unrelated. If they simply choose to not eat the food, that food will not magically be transported to a hungry person.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    stealthq wrote: »
    Please tell me you meant prior to eating it. Otherwise ... eww.

I didn't, but I was responding to the comment directly above me, lamenting the waste when there are hungry people in the world. This was my tongue-in-cheek way of saying that people using this stomach pump didn't cause starvation in war torn countries and aren't contributing to it by using this device.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    It makes me cringe.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member

I've long said someone should start a business where they have a team of people to follow folks around 24/7 and swat food out of their hands. It would be cheaper and safer and more effective than most medical interventions.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

I've long said someone should start a business where they have a team of people to follow folks around 24/7 and swat food out of their hands. It would be cheaper and safer and more effective than most medical interventions.

Didn't Oprah Winfrey have something like that with the trainer (his name escapes me now) she could afford it and lost weight. He left and the weight came back.

No learning happened.