Subtracting weight

Options
When weighing food cooked as the packaging says should I subtract the 5g of coconut oil I cooked it in? So 105g of the chicken would be 100 then?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Log the oil separately
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I did but wouldn't I subtract 5g from the chicken weight?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Why would you, if you cooked 105g of chicken? Or was it 100g of chicken plus 5g of oil? If you cooked 105g of chicken that's what you need to log.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I cooked it in 15g of oil and weighed a third of the portion of chicken after I'd cooked it out at 105, so woukd i subtract a third of the oil (which would be 5g) from the weight as the oil will have made the chicken weigh more?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. There's no way to tell how much of the oil was absorbed or cooked off during cooking. I think it's highly suggested that you weigh food before cooking due to the various evaporation rates of chicken stock/water during the cooking process depending on cooking temp and time.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    My chicken packaging says per 100g cooked though so I logged it cooked not raw
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Any reason why, if you've got a decent size chicken breast, you're only eating a 3rd of it?!
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    A third of a PACK of chicken breasts
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    A third of a PACK of chicken breasts

But you're still only eating 100g of it... That's not a lot.

Use the raw chicken usda entry in the database, enjoy your food!!
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    So is it 105g cooked chicken or 100g chicken +5g oil
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Did you weigh the chicken before you cooked it?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    Oh, for petes sake. Pick one. The oil is only 35 calories! If you're not going to weigh the chicken raw, thern you have to accept some error factor.
  • suzilla53
    suzilla53 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Omg, let's not make this that hard....
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    No i didn't weigh it before I cooked it. It's important to me because 5g of extra chicken puts me over my protein intake which I didn't want.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    It just annoys me. I have severe anxiety and I need it to be accurate for I peace of mind
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You can always up your protein goal. These things aren't set in stone.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    It just annoys me. I have severe anxiety and I need it to be accurate for I peace of mind

Then log 100g
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Then log 100g

Pitying me?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Respectfully, if it bothers you that much, you should probably not be going this route.

Calorie and nutrient counts are not 100% accurate, even if you weigh and measure perfectly. There will be differences in water content, fat content, vitamins and minerals, etc. Even if you use USDA entries, they are averages, and can't possibly predict precisely the nutritional content of every chicken breast, or every egg, or every apple.

Packaged goods are permitted to be up to 20% divergent from actual nutrient content (not intentionally, but again - it's averages) and even basic foods like vegetables will vary due to factors like ripeness, variety, soil conditions, how long ago it was harvested, etc.