Replies

• callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I know all this but thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It just annoys me. I have severe anxiety and I need it to be accurate for I peace of mind

Then log 100g

Pitying me?

No, I didn't give you another thought after I typed that message in all honesty.

What answer would you like someone to give that you would find useful at this stage?
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

Cool. As to your original post, even if you only have data for cooked weight, you'd have to weigh the chicken raw to get a valid weight, because you have no way to know how much water you cooked out of it. If you cooked it longer or hotter than the reference used to calculate the label weight, your portion will be understand. If you cooked it less, it will be overstated.

If you really think it's worth the effort:

1. Weigh all of the chicken raw, and record the weight.
    2. Weigh the piece you are going to eat, and divide it by the total (#1) so you know what percentage of the whole you are eating.
    3. Multiply the serving size on the package by the number of servings on the package to get (what should be, but probably isn't) the total cooked weight of all the chicken if cooked exactly like the reference chicken.
    4. Multiply the total cooked weight (#3) by the percentage you are eating (#2) and that is the number of grams to log.

Again, it's still not going to be accurate, but at least you'll know you've done all you can do.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options

Cool. As to your original post, even if you only have data for cooked weight, you'd have to weigh the chicken raw to get a valid weight, because you have no way to know how much water you cooked out of it. If you cooked it longer or hotter than the reference used to calculate the label weight, your portion will be understand. If you cooked it less, it will be overstated.

2. Weigh the piece you are going to eat, and divide it by the total (#1) so you know what percentage of the whole you are eating.
    3. Multiply the serving size on the package by the number of servings on the package to get (what should be, but probably isn't) the total cooked weight of all the chicken if cooked exactly like the reference chicken.
    4. Multiply the total cooked weight (#3) by the percentage you are eating (#2) and that is the number of grams to log.

Again, it's still not going to be accurate, but at least you'll know you've done all you can do.

My chicken packaging says per 100g cooked though so how would this work?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    No i didn't weigh it before I cooked it. It's important to me because 5g of extra chicken puts me over my protein intake which I didn't want.

Protein and fats should both be fixed in your mind as minimums to reach not limits

Only calories is a limit
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    No i didn't weigh it before I cooked it. It's important to me because 5g of extra chicken puts me over my protein intake which I didn't want.

Protein and fats should both be fixed in your mind as minimums to reach not limits

Only calories is a limit

This^^^

Going over on protein is fine. IMO if you are using the preset macros as determined by MFP, it's probably a good thing depending on how much you are working out.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

If it doesn't give any indication of the number of 100g servings or total cooked weight, it wouldn't.

You are really better off just using the generic raw chicken weight in this case, unless there is some specific seasoning or processing that makes this chicken unique. Not only for convenience, but for accuracy, as cooking losses are probably more meaningful than any nutrient differences between your chicken's labelling and the USDA reference.

edited for typo and clarity
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Don't worry about what the package says. Weigh your chicken raw, look up "chicken breast raw USDA" and use this entry for your logging.

Just and FYI, mfp's protein goals are on the lower side and are a minimum you should hit, many people manually increase their protein %
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If you want to double check that an entry is correct, go here.

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search
  • rainbowfly
    rainbowfly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The front packaging should say how much it all weighed raw (price is probably calculated using this) so you can just divide that by 3 if you are only eating 1/3, then use the raw chicken breast entry suggested by others to enter the cals. Or use the method MakePeasNotWar suggested for calculating the percentage left after cooking.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    The raw chicken entry on this app has many different variations some quote 21g per 100g raw others as high as 26g. Wouldn't the packaging be more trustworthy?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The raw chicken entry on this app has many different variations some quote 21g per 100g raw others as high as 26g. Wouldn't the packaging be more trustworthy?

They differ because all foods differ - one chicken may have a higher fat content than another because it's a little porker, another might be more lean .. one cut of chicken is absolutely different from another - tbh the same happens with all foods eg fruit, one apple will not be exactly the same as another - how ripe it is will determine sugar / carb levels etc.

The margin of error allowed is 20% on packaging and that is good enough. Some are up, some are down it balances out

You need to let go of expecting exact numbers - because even if you get a number it's not absolute

A good place to double check is the USDA database

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/shared/PDF/Chicken_Turkey_Nutrition_Facts.pdf

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I recommend weighing raw and using USDA entries (that you double check).

I also respectfully suggest professional help with your OCD/anxiety.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    In your situation, I would use the MFP recipe tool - enter your raw chicken (using an entry from the database that matches the USDA numbers), add the oil (and any other additions), then save it as three servings.

Then you have that entry ready to go when you eat it again tonight or tomorrow. And you can modify it if you choose to add garlic next time or use more or less oil, or your chicken weighs more or less.

You are also going to have to let go of the need for 100% accurate numbers. They can't be and won't be. Ever.
    Accept that they are estimates (both calories in and calories out) and use your common sense to make adjustments if you find that you aren't losing or gaining weight as you should expect.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    But the USDA amounts differ greatly from those I buy.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    Is that because usda numbers are for raw chicken and yours is cooked?

If it's just raw chicken with no other ingredients then I would use the raw usda numbers.

Or if you don't like that option, cook all the chicken in the packet, weigh it cooked and use that data in the recipe tool,

Really though, you are WAY overthinking this.
    Everything is an estimate, enter your best guess and move on to the next item.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    I weigh it cooked as someone else cooks it for me
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just take your best guess, and if you do not lose at the rate you expect, tweak your calories down a bit to account for inaccuracies.

It seems unnecessarily stressful to worry so much about this when you are unable to take the steps needed to make your calculations more accurate (i.e. weighing raw ingredients, separately).

If you are using MFP values for protein and fat, there is quite a bit of leeway for those to be higher as long as your overall calorie intake is within range. If seeing red in any category is causing the stress, you might want to consider whether just tracking calories and not worrying about macros might be a better choice for a while.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Many people weigh their food cooked though so it isn't just me
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Many people weigh their food cooked though so it isn't just me

Doesn't mean they're doing it right either! :laugh: