Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    First time here. Hi all. Started at 340, 5'7", 67 yo female in great health other than weight. Family trait! I have, as of today, lost 65 pounds over the last year. My goal is 235 by our annual Christmas trip to Disneyworld. My biggest problem when dieting is my metabolism shutting down. Also, I cannot eat any sugar or it's Katie Bar the Door!! So thank you for this thread. Have a spectacular weekend and 4th,,
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Sunday - Share:

I guess I already shared about my diet and weight goals and history when I introduced myself here. So, I guess I will share some personal history. I live in Dallas Texas and I'm an ICU nurse working nights. I have been a nurse for 20 years and still love it. I have 4 grown adult children and 1 lovable granddaughter that is 7. It is true what they say that grandchildren are lot more fun than our own children....lol I turned 50 this year. It was a little hard to admit that I am half a century old but I am getting used to it.

@WhovianFitNHealthy I am new here too and I am finding very therapeutic to write on this discussion board. Not sure how many read it but I feel better just writing it. It is helping me focus and remember that I want to lose weight and everyone here is in the same boat. We are here to support each other with helpful comments or just a "like" to let you know we are here for you. So hang in there.

On a side note I have no idea how to friend people on mfp. I think I figured it out when I first started but know I think I am missing something obvious.
  • cjbrummet
    Options
    I think I figured out how to add friends....
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome to all the new and returning posters. This thread really seems to have a life of it's own. Sometimes it has very little activity from just a few 'regulars' and then it grows and shrinks and grows again. Good luck to everyone who is on this journey. It is, in my opinion, a lifestyle of small incremental changes to our habits and routines as our bodies 'do not like change'.

Sunday Share ... As for me (AFM) I have been a regular poster on this thread since Oct 2014, and have used MFP since 2012. The profile name I currently use is a new one to go along with my paid membership to MFP. That subscription runs out in a couple of months and I don't know, at this point, if I'll renew it or go back to using my old profile. One thing I do know is that I will continue using MFP to log my food and exercise and write my thoughts. I don't accept friendship requests on here because of those thoughts that I post onto my home page ... I wouldn't want to saddle any 'friends' to having to read me deepest and most surface thoughts. Thus, this thread and personal messages (PM) is how I keep in contact with folks on here.

During the past 4 years of using MFP, I have made important self-discoveries that I think have led to a healthier me. I know I don't suffer from the depression that used to plague me, and I am more selective about what and how much I eat. Recently I've changed the goal on my Tracker to show small weight loss goals instead of the big picture by focusing on what I want to accomplish in a 3 month period instead of the whole thing. It's part of a motto a friend shared with me back n 1979 when he asked me how would I eat an elephant ... 'one bite at a time'.
    NY Niki
    follow through with consistent focus
  • atitagain1958
    atitagain1958 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks, I missed yesterday. So to catch up...success...I've come back from being away from home and being off track for about 3 weeks. I tried. The first week was great and I could track because we were eating out all the time so I could look everything up. But after that, it's hard to track someone's home cooking. I eventually just gave up BUT as soon as I got back home, I started tracking again! Now, THAT'S a success for me!!! Today...share...I want to share with you why I never responded to Friday's fitness. (If I already shared this, I apologize) About 2 years ago, I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. Since I'm already on Cymbalta for depression and Amytriptyline for migraines, they didn't put me on any additional medication. I kept feeling worse. I was extremely tired all the time. I fell asleep while driving and ran off the road. Luckily, it was winter and a snow bank stopped me from going into trees. So I went through more sleep studies. I already have sleep apnea and wear a CPAP machine but they wanted to know if I had narcolepsy. Well, I don't but I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I now take medicine to help me stay awake, however, it doesn't really give me energy. I was pushing myself to just walk for some exercise but I was getting very short of breath. I thought it was just because I'm fat. I'm the heaviest I've ever been!! But then I noticed I was getting short of breath even taking a shower so I mentioned to my doctor. So after some pulmonary studies and seeing a pulmonologist, I was diagnosed with COPD. So, exercise is very difficult for me. I'm hoping by losing weight, I will feel better and have more energy to do more than I can do now. Whew! Sorry that was SO long!!

@pinkstarberry I'm not Canadian but I hope you had a happy Canada day! I used to live in metro Detroit and Detroit and Ontario would get together to put on fireworks over the Detroit River around this time to celebrate your Canada Day and our Independence Day. It always attracted a ton of people because it was the largest fireworks display around!! I've gone down there a few times. Detroit got so crazy crowded, the last time I went, my hubby and I packed a cooler and crossed the bridge and to celebrate with the Canadians! It was a way more pleasant experience! Until we needed to get back into MI! LOL

@Nikion901 Walking more is my goal too! Good luck! How do you monitor all that so you know you've lost muscle instead of fat? BMI? I'm just getting into tracking BMI. That number scared the crap out of me! LOL I can't exercise much right now so that's what I'm worried about too. I agree with setting small goals though. I didn't put my entire goal weight in MFP either. Baby steps.

@cjbrummet I definitely think it was a success that you went to the gym when you didn't want to!!! You need to give yourself credit where credit is due! And you have even MORE success by going further on the treadmill!! (I know what you mean about the treadmill. I had one once. Yawn!)

@MrsFlint2013 Welcome! This is a great thread! Lots of support! I think it's great your hubby will work out with you!!! You can keep each other motivated to go!!! Oh how I envy you with that scale of yours!!! Mine isn't cooperating with me very well! You are where I'm hoping to be very soon!! Seriously, huge congrats on your weight loss!! (Just tell your scale to send vibes to mine, ok? LOL)

@WhovianFitNHealthy Welcome! Ah yes, that darn yo-yo syndrome!! I know it well!! It makes me so darn dizzy!!! VERY frustrating!!! I've been heavy since childhood too. I've yo-yoed all my adult life. I've also set my goal weight at 200 but I have over 100 to get there. I log in every day and communicate with my friends. Feel free to add me! And...kudos for stepping on that scale! I know how hard it is! Mine said "ouch" when I stepped on it the first time! No kidding! It really creaked! I thought I broke it! I'm not sure what the max weight for it is. But we both made a HUGE step when we got on that scale and looked at that number!!

@jodyblanchard Welcome! Congrats on your weight loss! You're doing fantastic!!! I know our metabolism slows as we age, I've been told mines at a snails pace. So, what do you do to prevent yours from shutting down?
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wow, there are so many newlings!! Welcome to all of you. I'm going to do a few personals here, but if I miss you, I promise to catch you on the next round.

@atitagain1958 -- I can't imagine how difficult it must be to do this with so many compounding health factors. My entire family is from D-town and I remember going to those fireworks shows when I was younger. Another childhood memory for me is Boblo Park. My uncle used to take my sister and I with his 6 kids-- great memories!

@niki-- I never upgraded to the paid membership. Is there a big difference?

@cjbrummet -- in the years I've spent on this thread, I've noticed a lot of nurses and teachers. I think people who have the type of giving personality required for those fields are likely to put others before their own needs, including proper fitness practices. I'm a teacher, and by far, my biggest struggle is putting aside the grading and prepping to make time for the gym and preparing nutritious meals. I've come a long way in making my health a priority, but it's a daily struggle. I would venture to guess that it's even harder for a nurse, given the long or atypical shifts and higher stress related to your profession.

@jody-- I also have to avoid sugar, especially early in the day, or I am consumed by carb cravings. Have you found any helpful strategies in getting past those metabolism plateaus? I've found changing up my exercise routine or disrupting my typical calorie intake for a day or two can help.

@WhovianFitNHealthy -- You've found a great thread for the support you seek. Come back regularly so we can get to know you (in addition to your love for The Doctor, of course :wink: ).

@mrsflint-- that's great that your husband is on board and you have access to a fitness center!

@pinkstarberry -- I vote that 255.6 counts as meeting your goal. :)

Sunday Share:
    I'm karen, a HS English Lit teacher from Chicago. I am married with one fur-kid, my 10 yo Boxer/Shepherd named Gunner. I've been on MFP since March of 2011 and have posted in this thread since July 2011. I was thinking about it, and now that Robin is on hiatus, I might be the longest running person who is currently posting here. Perhaps Laurie and Kelley have been here longer?? Regardless, I know that if it weren't for this thread, and the wonderful friends I've made here, I would have quit long ago. So to all the newlings, come back often and you will find lots of support and motivation to get you through the challenging times.

I started at 247 lbs and lost about 65 lbs reaching a low of 183. That low lasted about a day, and my weight leveled out to a norm of 185 for about 2 years. Then almost 2 years ago, I tore the labrium in my right shoulder lifting a very heavy bag full of student journals. The injury completely halted my lifting routine, and made other exercise difficult. Even my running was hampered b/c swinging my arm could result in a sharp, searing pain at any moment. My physical therapy schedule also severely cut into my gym time, but I watched my intake and managed to maintain 185 until last fall when I got a terrible upper respiratory infection and couldn't do any cardio. Over those 10 weeks, I gained 5 lbs; then, my bad attitude and the holidays added another 5 with poor eating choices. I managed to reign in the attitude and halt the gain, but losing that 10 has been a struggle. At the start of June, I lowered my net calorie allowance from 1650 to 1450, started lifting weights again, and upped my overall activity. The scale responded by bouncing up to 198. It has come back down to 195 this past week, but I've yet to lose a single ounce since I've buckled down. I know it will come. Patience Grasshopper.

That's the struggle of my history with this process. Despite this, the rewards of my history are so much greater. I've gone from sweating profusely when taking my dog for even a short walk, to running 5k and 8k races pretty regularly. I've also done some really fun obstacle races like Run For Your Lives, Dirty Girl Mud Run, and Rugged Maniac. I've pushed my body beyond what I ever thought possible and actually enjoyed it. I've become a playmate to my 4 yo niece who knows that I'm the aunt who will climb the playground equipment and chase her around the park. I've also made some wonderful lifelong friends here. One lives about an hour from me and we meet every year to do a 5k together, and he also came to the city to hang out with me and Laurie when she came to town for the Shamrock Shuffle. Laurie, Susan, and I also met in NYC for the Tunnel to Towers 5k a couple years ago. It was the most moving and emotional race I've ever done, following the footsteps of NY fire fighter who ran through the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel on 9/11 and died when one of the Towers collapsed. I could go on and on, but I just realized this is turning into a book. LOL

tl;dr version = this MFP thread is awesome!

General Goals:
    1. Edge flowerbeds
    2. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners
    4. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times x/12
    Run at least x/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    201 k done/ 799 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- walk gunner + yard work
    Tues-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Wed-- walk gunner
    Thurs-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner + gym or run outside

• pinkstarberry
    pinkstarberry Posts: 79 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sunday - Sharing (tell us a little about yourself....update your personal life)

I just realised I've never shared my "story" on here, but I'll try to keep it fairly brief! My entire family is obese and has been ever since I can remember, and I've been obese for the vast majority of my life as well. Both my mother and father are diabetic, have high blood pressure, my mother has constant thyroid issues, etc. Of course, growing up, I was teased relentlessly for it, and I've suffered from low self-esteem, anxiety, and depression ever since I was a child. I've always used food to cope with sadness, disappointment, failure, and any other worries or stressors in my life. At my highest weight several years back in my early 20s, I was well over 300 lbs. I felt so uncomfortable in my own body, and would tire so easily, that I just quit going out - I became agoraphobic for almost 3 years. Finally, I was determined to lose the weight and begin living my life, and made it down to 165 lbs. Unfortunately I gained most of the weight back over the course of a few years of living with a stressful, controlling, and abusive boyfriend, and climbed back up to around 280 lbs.

Now I'm 31 as of May 2016 and the birthday coming around finally shocked me back to reality about how unhealthy I'd gotten again. When I was 165 I loved to be out and about, looked forward to buying clothes, felt confident when talking to people. I'm determined to get that back and begin living my life again without feeling so anxious and uncomfortable whenever I'm out and about or have to talk to people. I'm tired of feeling ashamed of myself and embarrassed to be seen. This time, my weight loss journey isn't just about shedding pounds and getting slimmer and feeling healthier, it's about becoming a stronger person able to cope with life in a positive way instead of falling back on self-neglect and turning to food to feel better. I finally feel like I do deserve to be happy and healthy and proud to just be myself. I want to get married and feel beautiful for once and be the loving, caring person that I am without the shadow of self-doubt and anxiety and depression getting in the way. I also know that if I don't turn things around now, at 31, the rest of my life is seriously going to suffer and I may even die early - I don't feel so invincible like I did in my 20s.

Anyway, sorry for rambling when I said I'd try to keep it brief and also for some of the depressing parts. Despite everything that's happened in my life, I'm determined to work toward a brighter future!

That being said, I cut back on the sodium yesterday and the scale read 255.0 this morning so now I'm officially no longer morbidly obese! Now I'm feeling even more motivated to push toward my next goal of 220, which will take me from "severely obese" to just "obese." I know it'll be quite a while til I see that one, but I'll try to make everyday count!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!!
  • cjbrummet
    Options
    Monday - check in

I have been sticking close to my diet and have worked out every other day as I promised myself I would (even though I really didn't want to this morning after working 12 hours). My goal is to always walk/jog further than I did before, I didn't quite do that this morning. I will try harder next time.

I have lost 22 pound so far but I still have a long way to go. I know that I didn't gain the weight overnight so I can't expect to lose it overnight. It is about breaking long running bad eating habits and to be healthier.

Special kudos to me for not eating any of the chips and dip or the cake one of my coworkers brought to share with everyone last night.
  • Nikion901
    Options
    Monday check-in ... I blew it yesterday, not so much on calories as on sodium ... and today I am paying the price with a 2.6 pound gain over yesterday morning ... plus I am very bloated to the point of abdominal soreness. Guess I messed up with my intake yesterday by doing plenty of what I know not to do, like not eating to save up calories for the 'big feed'.

@skinnyjeanzbound ... I don't recall all the differences with the paid subscription because I don't use all the features. I mainly got it for 2 reasons. One is no advertising and Two is I thought spending money for the privilege of using the site would encourage me to log every day because I hate to waste money ... and that part has proven effective as I haven't missed one day of logging since then. However, that hasn't helped with my weight loss efforts ... proof that logging alone does not ensure success.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @niki-- thanks, I'm sure there's a thread where I can get the info about the added features.

@cj-- great job resisting the snacks at work. Cake is one of my weaknesses. Well, really frosting-- the cake is just there to hold it up, right? LOL

@pinkstar-- Congrats on reaching your goal. It is very satisfying to move down in those BMI categories. I had moved into the "overweight" when I was at 185, but at my current 195 I am back in the "obese" category. :(

AFM-- It was a rough night with gunner. He's deathly afraid of fireworks and just gets worse and worse as he ages. We give him tranquilizers, but they don't knock him out completely, so I end up with a really groggy, scared dog. Last night was scary for us b/c after he finally fell asleep (in our bathroom), he awoke awhile later wheezing and gasping for air. At first I thought maybe he was having a back reaction to the meds, but once he fully awoke, it went away. The same thing happened again later. I think he was having nightmares and was having a panic attack in his sleep b/c both times he was fine once he was fully awake. I know that sounds weird, but when we first got him from the shelter he would have nightmares every night and also would sleepwalk occasionally. Tonight will be even worse b/c it's the fireworks show in our town.

Since I was up most of the night with gunner, it was a lazy morning, but I finally forced myself out to the gym this afternoon.

Hope all the Americans on this thread are having a nice Independence Day.

General Goals:
    1. Edge flowerbeds
    2. Make doctor/dentist appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners
    4. Find someone to repair shed

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 1/12
    Run at least 2/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    205 k done/ 795 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- walk gunner DONE
    Mon-- gym DONE
    Tues-- walk gunner + yard work
    Wed-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym or run outside
    Sat-- walk gunner
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You win this time, Fourth of July. You win this time. Re-match next year.
  • Fiqahana
    Fiqahana Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been unwell lately and have been stayingon bed, I still don't feel any better which means it might take a few more days to recover. I'm staying positive and focusing on a speedy recovery so I can be back up on my feet and get back to working out. That is basically my goal for now and also to be under my calorie goal. It feels lousy to be sick when all I wanna do is be active. But it's okay, I'm gonna stay positive and pray that I'll be well soon. I hope all of you will be having a nice day and I believe you'll do great in achieving your goals! Stay strong friends! Anyway, to anyone out there, if you ever need a friend to accompany you through this journey to a happier and healthier life, motivate you to reach for you goals, support you through ups and downs, I'm always here to be that friend, so feel free to add me! I hope we all will succeed in this journey, until the end! Have a nice day everyone! :)
  • MeLanceUppercut
    MeLanceUppercut Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In - Whooo the 4th was rough lol. I had to many hot dogs and beers. Went about 600 calories over. I did do a metric butt-ton of housework during the day and worked up a nice nasty sweat. Today is a different story. Stuck to my protein bar and cereal for breakfast. Already drank 4 cups of water. So I'm getting back in the swing of things.

Goal for today - I want to be able to stand at my desk for four hours. I started at 8:30 am.
  • wadwrich
    wadwrich Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In - Whooo the 4th was rough lol. I had to many hot dogs and beers. Went about 600 calories over. I did do a metric butt-ton of housework during the day and worked up a nice nasty sweat. Today is a different story. Stuck to my protein bar and cereal for breakfast. Already drank 4 cups of water. So I'm getting back in the swing of things.

Goal for today - I want to be able to stand at my desk for four hours. I started at 8:30 am.

yeah I kind of threw the healthy eating out the window for the Fourth as well. The same thing got me. Beers and hot dogs. But I'm back on it today as well.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone. I hope you had a nice Independence Day weekend, mine was quiet (okay, except for the fireworks last night :lol:)

Sorry I've been MIA. After my ankle surgery, I've just been laying low recovering--my parents have been in/out helping me with various things. The surgery went well and the first 4-days after surgery are kind of a blur. I'm starting to get around easier (probably walking without crutches before I should be). I wanted to return to work a half-day today/tomorrow but my doctor just told me I needed to lay low until my follow-up with him on Thursday morning--he'll remove the sutures and I'll get a new cast. He'll release me to go back to work then. So I guess two more days of boredom! :confounded:

I'm not going to attempt to read up on what I've missed but from the looks of it, we have a lot of newlings--welcome to everyone! :smiley:
  • VictoriaK1993
    VictoriaK1993 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So I will take the "tuesday post suggestion" and talk about my goals...

ME:
    22/F/CANADA
    HEIGHT: 5'2
    SW: 178
    CW: 165
    CGW: 150 (current goal weight)
    FGW: 135 (final goal weight)

I'm a recent university grad heading back to school this fall to do a two-year Master's degree. I'm happily married to my husband of just over a year! My weight goals are more for health reasons than vanity - I want to be as happy and free as I can be, and I know that being at a healthy weight because of good diet and exercise will help me be free.

I love hiking and I love doing fun adventurous things (like going on rollercoasters or white water rafting). I never want my weight to limit me from doing and enjoying things like this.

My goals in life are:
    - complete my Master's degree with top grades
    - get a job in my field
    - begin saving with the husband for a condo
    - get condo, start saving a small nest egg for the next chapter...
    - having kids! Hopefully around age 27 or so
    - the rest is currently unplanned. I love to travel though :)

If my goals or interests are in line with yours, please feel free to add me and we can support each other on this journey! I am currently at a 31 day streak with logging my food and exercise... so I'm pretty pumped to extend that!

• angeleyes4643
    angeleyes4643 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Good morning ! Hope everyone is well. I've been reading and catching up on everyone. I'm not too chatty but I think you all are amazing. Such dedication. :)
  • dserickson1
    dserickson1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My Wednesday wishes
    I could get myself motivated to exercise - doing ok with the calories except for yesterday a little too much 4th of July BBQ foods
  • Nikion901
    Options
    “The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs…one step at a time.” ~Joe Girard
  • Nikion901
    Options