You don't have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''

Options

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »

I gain muscle super easily too within about 3-6 weeks of working out.

You should post a picture of your extreme muscle gains so we can see what your talking about

What's gonna be really funny is when she does, and everyone starts screaming about anabolic use. I'm gonna enjoy it all.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options

You should post a picture of your extreme muscle gains so we can see what your talking about

What's gonna be really funny is when she does, and everyone starts screaming about anabolic use. I'm gonna enjoy it all.

Or the exact opposite. But I guess we won't know until we see pictures of this extreme muscle gaining female.
  • annherrin
    annherrin Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

As long as you don't have tons of fat accumulated around your wrist, this is fairly accurate. My wrists are pretty much just bone and I measured it to 6 inches. For my 5'0" stature, this puts me in the large frame category. I agree with those findings. I've always had fairly large bone structure which has always put me in the upper end of the "healthy weight" scale for my height. I would love to have a smaller frame and to be dainty, but that just is not possible with my bones.

I do appreciate that I've never had wrist or ankle problems tho. (Thanks mom!)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    annherrin wrote: »

As long as you don't have tons of fat accumulated around your wrist, this is fairly accurate. My wrists are pretty much just bone and I measured it to 6 inches. For my 5'0" stature, this puts me in the large frame category. I agree with those findings. I've always had fairly large bone structure which has always put me in the upper end of the "healthy weight" scale for my height. I would love to have a smaller frame and to be dainty, but that just is not possible with my bones.

I like how that link takes the 6'6'' guy above, me at 5'10 and short guys at 5'5'' and just says for all of us "if your wrist has at least this circumference you have that frame size".
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    What kills me about all the talk of "large frame size" is most of it (or at least a disproportionate amount of it) is coming from women. Men are actually the ones most likely to be treated unfairly by the bmi tables. Men are more likely to have a truly "large frame" at any given height. BMI is actually very, very forgiving to women, "allowing" them to be as heavy as an equivalent height male and still be counted as a "normal" weight, despite having considerably more body fat (generally). I can't help but wonder, whenever a woman says bmi isn't a useful measure for her because of a large frame, is her frame really as large as a man's? Really? Because it would have to be in order for that to be true.
  • jumpnJACS
    jumpnJACS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Some of the responses here make my head hurt. Lemme go get some fresh air.

trjjoy, I think see what you're saying. If anything, I take it as an attempt to motivate fellow mfp-ers.

Growing up my mother would always say, "I'm sorry, you have my body. You'll never be a skinny mini." It wasn't until looking at the success stories that I threw that idea out the window. It is possible to completely alter your body, so don't give up or limit yourself into thinking that you can't attain a thin body.
  • jumpnJACS
    jumpnJACS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    jumpnJACS wrote: »

trjjoy, I think see what you're saying. If anything, I take it as an attempt to motivate fellow mfp-ers.

Growing up my mother would always say, "I'm sorry, you have my body. You'll never be a skinny mini." It wasn't until looking at the success stories that I threw that idea out the window. It is possible to completely alter your body, so don't give up or limit yourself into thinking that you can't attain a thin body.

That's how I take it, anyway
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    annherrin wrote: »

So according to this, my wrists are too small for my height, also I may be smaller up top, but my hips are not small enough to be 100% small boned.

I will admit my wrists and hands are very small in proportion to the rest of me, they always have been even when I didn't weigh 250 pounds.
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    People have to have different sized frames...or something. It would certainly explain why I work out and diet, but I'm still two sizes heavier than friends of mine who weigh within ten pounds of me but wear two sizes smaller.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

Or the exact opposite. But I guess we won't know until we see pictures of this extreme muscle gaining female.

Lol. It isn't extreme by your standards.
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Adult brain sizes can vary by as much as 70% within a gender. How can you completely dismiss the concept that people's skeletal frames also vary considerably?

^^^For realz! :D

No one disputes that a person's body changes when they lose weight, but sorry sista, women & men alike do have different SKELETAL frames. If you ever dissected a human body, then you'd know first hand. It truly is amazing, and I considered it an honor, to be able to see this so many times first hand during my educational career.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    jumpnJACS wrote: »

This is so true! I used to work with a guy who was 40 with the typical beer potbelly look. He started jogging and working out with weights and transformed himself into a different looking person entirely!
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    What kills me about all the talk of "large frame size" is most of it (or at least a disproportionate amount of it) is coming from women. Men are actually the ones most likely to be treated unfairly by the bmi tables. Men are more likely to have a truly "large frame" at any given height. BMI is actually very, very forgiving to women, "allowing" them to be as heavy as an equivalent height male and still be counted as a "normal" weight, despite having considerably more body fat (generally). I can't help but wonder, whenever a woman says bmi isn't a useful measure for her because of a large frame, is her frame really as large as a man's? Really? Because it would have to be in order for that to be true.

Like you, I find this ironic. I think women are a lot less likely than men to attribute their weight issues to their own actions. Women often need to blame circumstances for being overweight.

When was the last time you heard a man claim to have hypothyroidism or a low metabolic rate as the reason why he's fat?

The "big boned" argument is just another excuse that some women use to justify their weight, despite established medical reason.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a woman.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hemlon wrote: »

Like you, I find this ironic. I think women are a lot less likely than men to attribute their weight issues to their own actions. Women often need to blame circumstances for being overweight.

When was the last time you heard a man claim to have hypothyroidism or a low metabolic rate as the reason why he's fat?

The "big boned" argument is just another excuse that some women use to justify their weight, despite established medical reason.

actually that happens here a lot...men attribute a lot of different things for their weight gain...one guy claims he can eat 1k deficit and not lose weight but then turn around and eat 1k over maintenance and not gain....

some people yes use that excuse...not just women....

I never blamed it but didn't think I could ever be a size 6 due to my "larger frame"...turns out I was half right...jeans are a 6 but not my jackets they are still an 8-10 (medium) due to my shoulders being broad etc...

I think it allows me to potentially carry more weight (currently 150lbs) and not look like it...as well as my muscle mass of course...
  • Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I once read a fascinating article about this. It basically said there are variations but they are negligible in the scheme of things. They took a bunch of average height women some of whom said they were small, some large and X-rayed them and they all looked pretty much the same underneath. Things like hips and waist measurements were more to do with where they held fat/muscle rather than the bones underneath. i remember it pointed out that 90% of women are within the same 2 shoes sizes, regardless of height for the same reason .
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hemlon wrote: »

For clarity - I'm not sure women are more likely to make excuses about their weight in general (although it is still less socially acceptable to be a "fat chick" than it is to be an overweight male), they are just more likely to whine about bmi being an unfair metric, even though if it is "unfair" to anyone, it's unfair to men.

Fwiw, I'm female, and I was told that I was "just big boned" when I was at my heaviest. I knew it was crap - being 5'7" means I am as tall as a good number of guys. I have nowhere near their frame size, even at the same height (or taller). Maybe shorter women don't have that same reference point (or are less likely too) and so they are more likely to believe it?

That said, yes there can be true "outliers" (and that can include women), but a female outlier would have to be rather exceptional. I'd say bmi probably applies quite readily to well over 90% of the female population.

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I look best at about 150-155lb which puts me in a size 6/8US depending on brand. This also puts my BMI at just overweight by the standard chart. I have a naturally larger build than some. Is it an excuse to be fat or unhealthy? - no. It is a reason why my healthy goals will differ from someone petite though. I will never be petite and that's fine with me as long as I can get back to where I was fit and healthy. I can wear a normal jean size despite a larger build. Unfortunately in the shoe department I will always be out of luck . . . womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral: