You don't have ''big bones'' or a ''big frame''

Options

Replies

• sarahjen92
    sarahjen92 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You do realize that people can have different physiques (which lumps your frame size in there).

First, do more research before saying something that dumb. Second, there are different frame sizes. While I will never, EVER on my skinniest day wear a US size 0 because I would look (and be) sickly and weak, other girls can wear a size 0 and it's perfect for them. Clearly, they're bone structure/physique is far different than mine. And I'm only 5', so I'm petite.
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    [quote=

Like you, I find this ironic. I think women are a lot less likely than men to attribute their weight issues to their own actions. Women often need to blame circumstances for being overweight.

When was the last time you heard a man claim to have hypothyroidism or a low metabolic rate as the reason why he's fat?

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a woman.[/quote]

Wow - so judgmental. It sounds like you think those things are all hogwash. Some of us get diagnosed with thyroid & metabolic disorders before we've even heard of them - and how is a medical diagnosis just a "claim" anyway? I have an under-active thyroid and insulin resistance. Do I use them as an excuse? No - it made weight loss more difficult before I was on the right medication, but once I was on the proper medication, my same healthy lifestyle starting showing consistent downward results on the scale. If I stay active and eat right, and if I take the proper meds as prescribed, I lose weekly. I still have to live a healthy lifestyle, but don't discredit the people who are dealing with these. Everyone's body is different and sometimes it takes a while to get the meds right.

I'm the same as you Scoil, I am a size 10. It is much easier to find cute shoes in this age of internet shopping & DSW. All of my friends' sizes range from 6 through 9, so no borrowing there.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I look best at about 150-155lb which puts me in a size 6/8US depending on brand. This also puts my BMI at just overweight by the standard chart. I have a naturally larger build than some. Is it an excuse to be fat or unhealthy? - no. It is a reason why my healthy goals will differ from someone petite though. I will never be petite and that's fine with me as long as I can get back to where I was fit and healthy. I can wear a normal jean size despite a larger build. Unfortunately in the shoe department I will always be out of luck . . . womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral:

I do think this is the main reason bmi is a general guideline, mainly to be used by medical professionals. Which is the other reason I don't know why so many people get upset over it. If you are a woman who struggles at the high end of normal, that would be a good conversation to have with your doc (the universal "you" here; IIRC you mentioned discussing your weight goals with your doctor SCoil). A doctor is in a better position to assess your personal health risks, if any, attributable to being in the "overweight" category and to come up with a more individual acceptable range for you. It makes no sense, to me, to just say, "oh I could never be in the normal category, I'm "big boned"" without actually attempting to verify whether or not that is actually true (and I really don't think most of the people complaining about the bmi ranges actually do this). At that point it becomes just one of what is likely a long list of excuses.
  • rennickm1986
    rennickm1986 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. The Cartman Defense. I'm big boned. I've self-diagnosed a thyroid issue, men just lose weight more easily. It's genetic. Everyone wants an excuse to make themselves feel special.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ah yes. The Cartman Defense. I'm big boned. I've self-diagnosed a thyroid issue, men just lose weight more easily. It's genetic. Everyone wants an excuse to make themselves feel special.

This.
  • Hemlon
    Hemlon Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    As an xray tech who looks at xrays all day this was a very interesting thread.........and I will keep my answers to myself, this is way more fun.

Waving my hand.....Oh, oh.....I know!!
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I fell on ice outside school about 10 years ago. I fell on my hip so they sent me to ER to get x-rays.

The x-ray doctor said I had the largest sacrum (triangular bone that the tailbone attaches to) he's ever seen in his 30+ years of practice. I was like...uh, thank you?

But he said i also had larger hip/pelvic bones and that went along with it. (Also some of the largest he'd ever seen).

I'm fat but it's not my bones causing it.

Though, according to that dr I've got great bones for carrying babies lol. Once again, thank you I think ;)

Tl;dr yes, larger bones are possible!

Did you ever want to marry a doctor? Because I think he was coming on to you! ;)

"Hey beautiful, you have the largest sacrum I've ever seen! Wanna have a chance at carrying babies?" :laugh:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »
    What kills me about all the talk of "large frame size" is most of it (or at least a disproportionate amount of it) is coming from women. Men are actually the ones most likely to be treated unfairly by the bmi tables. Men are more likely to have a truly "large frame" at any given height. BMI is actually very, very forgiving to women, "allowing" them to be as heavy as an equivalent height male and still be counted as a "normal" weight, despite having considerably more body fat (generally). I can't help but wonder, whenever a woman says bmi isn't a useful measure for her because of a large frame, is her frame really as large as a man's? Really? Because it would have to be in order for that to be true.

Yes. That's why I prefer guys much taller than me. My fiance has a foot on me. My ex is the same height and build as Dan Marino and was often confused for him.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Hemlon wrote: »
    What kills me about all the talk of "large frame size" is most of it (or at least a disproportionate amount of it) is coming from women. Men are actually the ones most likely to be treated unfairly by the bmi tables. Men are more likely to have a truly "large frame" at any given height. BMI is actually very, very forgiving to women, "allowing" them to be as heavy as an equivalent height male and still be counted as a "normal" weight, despite having considerably more body fat (generally). I can't help but wonder, whenever a woman says bmi isn't a useful measure for her because of a large frame, is her frame really as large as a man's? Really? Because it would have to be in order for that to be true.

Like you, I find this ironic. I think women are a lot less likely than men to attribute their weight issues to their own actions. Women often need to blame circumstances for being overweight.

When was the last time you heard a man claim to have hypothyroidism or a low metabolic rate as the reason why he's fat?

The "big boned" argument is just another excuse that some women use to justify their weight, despite established medical reason.

In case anyone is wondering, I'm a woman.

I'll take this opportunity to reiterate that I am using my large frame as an "excuse" to "justify" a goal weight that is in BMI low Overweight rather than Normal. I looked great at that weight when last I was there, when I was a full time yoga teacher.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    As an xray tech who looks at xrays all day this was a very interesting thread.........and I will keep my answers to myself, this is way more fun.

C'mon. Do tell.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,558 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I used to use my frame size as an "anti-excuse" when I was obese: When I would (occasionally) describe myself as "fat", and people objected to this (pro forma politesse, mostly), I said "No. You don't understand. I have a narrow pelvis. These hips? All fat."

There's no point in pretending, or lying to oneself, right? Yet individuals do differ in body configuration, and that affects each of our range of healthy weights.

Now, with reasonably little extra fat (at 120 pounds, 5'5"), I've pretty much got No Hips At All, just like I always said.

But I'm just one of those excuse-making women . . . . ;)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I look best at about 150-155lb which puts me in a size 6/8US depending on brand. This also puts my BMI at just overweight by the standard chart. I have a naturally larger build than some. Is it an excuse to be fat or unhealthy? - no. It is a reason why my healthy goals will differ from someone petite though. I will never be petite and that's fine with me as long as I can get back to where I was fit and healthy. I can wear a normal jean size despite a larger build. Unfortunately in the shoe department I will always be out of luck . . . womens size 10 are hard to find in cute styles without ordering online :neutral:

I do think this is the main reason bmi is a general guideline, mainly to be used by medical professionals. Which is the other reason I don't know why so many people get upset over it. If you are a woman who struggles at the high end of normal, that would be a good conversation to have with your doc (the universal "you" here; IIRC you mentioned discussing your weight goals with your doctor SCoil). A doctor is in a better position to assess your personal health risks, if any, attributable to being in the "overweight" category and to come up with a more individual acceptable range for you. It makes no sense, to me, to just say, "oh I could never be in the normal category, I'm "big boned"" without actually attempting to verify whether or not that is actually true (and I really don't think most of the people complaining about the bmi ranges actually do this). At that point it becomes just one of what is likely a long list of excuses.

I've been given a healthy weight range by medical professionals of 145-165 and am a woman 5'7". Everyone should work with their doctor when creating a plan towards better health. Currently I am bouncing around 10-20lb above that range. I am overweight and working to get back to that range again. I know I am overweight right now, I also know that the healthy weight range for me is higher than many women my height that I've talked to.

Edited for full disclosure - the 20lb weight range I have personally received for ideal weight puts me at a BMI of anywhere from 23.5 - 26 which is high normal to just overweight. Per my doctor a larger frame really does only allow for a max 10% increase outside of the standard range.
  • heatherannh23
    heatherannh23 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My best friend is less than an inch shorter than me. She also weighs less than me and has a smaller pants size by one size. Her wrists are two inches larger than mine and she often can't buy bracelets without having to get them custom made because she has 9 inch wrists. I think some people literally have larger bones. We're not all the same so why can't we have different bone structure? It doesn't sound absurd at all...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    My best friend is less than an inch shorter than me. She also weighs less than me and has a smaller pants size by one size. Her wrists are two inches larger than mine and she often can't buy bracelets without having to get them custom made because she has 9 inch wrists. I think some people literally have larger bones. We're not all the same so why can't we have different bone structure? It doesn't sound absurd at all...

edcoan07_lg.jpg

This guy has 8 inch wrists.
    I'd like to see your friend actually.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

edcoan07_lg.jpg

This guy has 8 inch wrists.
    I'd like to see your friend actually.

Does that guy even lift?
  • katandwaves
    katandwaves Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    eringurl33 wrote: »
    Hmm. I have a big head.. Will that shrink as I lose weight? I'd love to be able to buy hats from a normal store!

Also - I'm only being half sarcastic. I really do have a big head. : (

Omg I was just telling someone at work today that I have a big head (not ego). I stretch out my husband's ball caps.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    eringurl33 wrote: »
    Hmm. I have a big head.. Will that shrink as I lose weight? I'd love to be able to buy hats from a normal store!

Also - I'm only being half sarcastic. I really do have a big head. : (

Omg I was just telling someone at work today that I have a big head (not ego). I stretch out my husband's ball caps.

Conversely, I have an unusually small head, can fit some kids hats! But my frame is pretty average I think, I've never really thought about it to be honest. Body shape hourglass. Probably going to end up in the upper end of BMI but that's due to muscle mass from a very active and athletic past, strength training from day 1 of weight loss and losing slowly, not bones.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

I just like to say that I'm built for hard labor.