Who else has a calorie goal of 1200? Or anywhere close!

Options

Replies

• karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I stick to 1200/day. I'm 6'4" (47 years old) and finally in my home stretch weight-wise. My goal is to be right smack in the middle of my "normal BMI" range, which is around 175-180lb. I started at 300lb in feb, and am down to 207 as of this morning, just a couple of pounds shy of the upper "normal" range. Sticking to a 1200 calorie a day diet enabled me to drop over 90lb in 5 or 6 months, with no ill effects. I'm not passing out from undernourishment, I'm still able to get my 16,000 steps a day on my fitbit, and I have enough energy to get through the day.

When I started the whole 1200/day thing, it took me about a month to get used to my reduced intake. But once I got accustomed to it, it became easy.

There are some days where 1200 cals seems like a *lot*, even when I'm walking 8mi per day (would run, but can't because of arthritis; can't take the impact).

Some days I fall 100 or so cals short of eating my 1200, so I click the "complete this entry" button just so I can laugh a little at the "YOU ARE LIKELY NOT EATING ENOUGH" warning. Then I go to one of the other thousands of weight prediction calculators available on the web and get my damn number and due date :)

Once I get to 180 or so, i'll change everything around in MFP with a maintain goal and do my best to stay put.

So yeah, if anyone tells you that 1200 calories a day isn't enough for even a 6'4" man, I would certainly beg to differ. Maybe my experience is typical, maybe it isn't. But I'm doing just fine.

Edit: added my progress photo to my profile if anyone wants to see what 5-6 months can do at this calorie level.

Edit2: And to those who are inevitably going to start spewing about "lean mass loss", yes, yes, yes, there might be some - but even if you eat whatever "appropriate" level of calories you think you need to eat (or what MFP recommends), and 60+% of those calories come from protein, you're STILL likely going to lose some muscle mass during your weight loss.

Seriously, some of you people who go on and on about this "lean mass loss" make it sound like VLCD's will give you the end result of looking like a sack of jello with some strategically-placed slim-jims as your only musculature. That's not going to happen.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Colt1835 wrote: »
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

Why did I get flagged for abuse??
    People are weird!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 1500 a day, which might be a slight deficit, or might be maintaining. I wish I were a person who could eat 1700 a day and maintain the weight I want to maintain.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »
    one question; for those who arent using mfp pal they way its intended to be used, then why are you using it instead of some other site/app? I am literally curious and not asking to be rude.

Didn't know you had to use it a specific way... because you literally don't. People on WW and other diet 'brands' use MFP to log their food.. it's a food diary to me. It has a large database of food and is easy to log meals to see how many calories one intakes. Easier than paper. I am not on a 'myfitnesspal diet'. Are we going to be kicked off the site because you don't like how we utilize it? lol Why are you so insistent that everyone is doing their own journey wrong? The same people jump on these 1200 calorie threads to stir the pot and cause drama... one would think they would have others things to do with their time.

never said every one is doing their journey wrong.MFP is set up to eat back some of your calories and follow the calorie allowance it gives you for you activity.sure you can log your food still and be on weight watchers, no one said you couldnt now did they? no you wont be kicked off as it is a calorie counting site. Im not stirring the pot its an actual legit question that I think I have the right to ask without being called a *kitten* stirrer. but these same people who say they eat under 1200 calories later come back and say "why am I not losing weight,why am I so tired,etc etc. most of the time if they just follow what MFP gives them for a calorie goal they will be fine. sure people have days they eat under or over. as for being insistent. the site specifically doesnt support very low calorie diets. thats why they set it to 1200 for women and 1500 for men at the minimum. and they expect you to eat back at least some of your calories.my point is if people want to eat so low calories that down the road they suffer from it its up to them but if I or anyone else can help them prevent them from harming themselves,whats so wrong with that? as for one thinking others have better things to do with their time. Its not like Im on here all day every day,because Im not.I have helped quite a few people with my advice and letting them know they can eat more and so on.not to mention once you lose weight what happens when you stop? are you going to lower your calories even more to keep the weight loss going? many obese people can lose on a lot more calories and you are supposed to recalculate your calories with every 10lbs you lose as well which gives you lower calories,cant do that if you eat less than 1200 now can you? and you wont get the nutrition you need either going so low but hey if someone wants to harm their body in the long run thats a personal problem.
  • FaithMathias
    FaithMathias Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am trying to get down to the 1200 a day. Trying to lose 120lbs in a year to be healthy.
  • Lbutt123
    Lbutt123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also set at 1200 however, some days I'm slightly under or over. I am still trying to work that out.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    never said every one is doing their journey wrong.MFP is set up to eat back some of your calories and follow the calorie allowance it gives you for you activity.sure you can log your food still and be on weight watchers, no one said you couldnt now did they? no you wont be kicked off as it is a calorie counting site. Im not stirring the pot its an actual legit question that I think I have the right to ask without being called a *kitten* stirrer. but these same people who say they eat under 1200 calories later come back and say "why am I not losing weight,why am I so tired,etc etc. most of the time if they just follow what MFP gives them for a calorie goal they will be fine. sure people have days they eat under or over. as for being insistent. the site specifically doesnt support very low calorie diets. thats why they set it to 1200 for women and 1500 for men at the minimum. and they expect you to eat back at least some of your calories.my point is if people want to eat so low calories that down the road they suffer from it its up to them but if I or anyone else can help them prevent them from harming themselves,whats so wrong with that? as for one thinking others have better things to do with their time. Its not like Im on here all day every day,because Im not.I have helped quite a few people with my advice and letting them know they can eat more and so on.not to mention once you lose weight what happens when you stop? are you going to lower your calories even more to keep the weight loss going? many obese people can lose on a lot more calories and you are supposed to recalculate your calories with every 10lbs you lose as well which gives you lower calories,cant do that if you eat less than 1200 now can you? and you wont get the nutrition you need either going so low but hey if someone wants to harm their body in the long run thats a personal problem.

Then let it be a personal problem. You are no doctor.

I eat 1200 and I still recalculate my goals.. it has dropped 300 calories since losing 36lbs.. from 1600 to 1300.. you do know it is eventually going to tell me to eat 1200 calories PER MFP guidelines, right? Will it be wrong then? When you get below 1200 you lower the amount of weight you are set to lose per week... simple. 1200 truly is not that hard to obtain and stick with if you are dedicate and especially if you are extremely sedentary. My doctor said 500-800 calories but I did 1200 instead because THAT was not attainable to me what so ever.

I eat 1100-1200 under updated doctors orders and I sometimes can barely get that much food in me, even when I am exercising 2 hours of cardio per day 3 days per week. If I was going to eat exercise calories back I just simply wouldn't exercise. There would be no point to it for me. Why not eat a sandwich and coke while on the elliptical? And there's people who seem VERY obsessed with food.. I am not... I don't WANT to get in that mindset that I need to exercise so I can eat eat eat eat eat. I make food fit into my allowance when I really want it.. cake, crisps, alcohol, etc and I still lose without feeling guilt. Some exercise for fun and some do it for acceleration.. and some do it just to stuff their face more. Do you go to the success stories and harp on people who lost weight too quickly? There's quite a few of them who ate strict low calorie diets but people are praising them... and they still eat 1200 a day 500 days later... especially those who decided to get surgery.

We aren't all running the same race here.. every journey and every physical body/needs are different person to person... if I ate what some of these people say they eat I would be gaining 2lbs a week instead of losing it..

Go through the forum and see how many times people pop in these threads just to be redundant.. if they wanted people to criticize their eating they would ask but they are looking for like minded people to be friends with but they get the opposite. I haven't seen anyone tell someone they should eat 1200 a day but I have seen many a people tell others that they shouldn't.. based on.. presumptions.
  • ginaDDDD
    ginaDDDD Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200-1300. Just started 3 days ago. Today is day 4. Please add me too
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    [
    I'm doing 1200 at the moment, but I usually go for 1500 cause I'm 6'1" and I'm a guy.

If you're a guy 1500 is the MINIMUM.

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.

if MFP put a woman at 1000 calories then it was a glitch because I have messed around with the settings and it wont go below 1200. Im eating more than 2000 calories and Im only 5'6 and I lost 0.6lbs this week alone. and Im 163.8 lbs as well. so if I can lose eating that much then a male taller than myself or even 6'1 could lose eating more than 1200-1500 calories. also Im lightly active. most days I get in over 10,000 steps,some days more.Im going to get back to lifting weights too. but if someone is more than lightly active then 1200-1500 most likely is not enough. you have to fuel your body and your workouts. if you arent eating enough and getting enough protein you are losing muscle mass as well. losing too fast too quickly is not good unless you have a lot of weight and fat to lose in which case it will eventually slow down.

Go back and read the thread. There are two other explanations about where I got the 1000-1200 for women from.

I never said I couldn't lose eating 2000 calories.

I'm not losing muscle.

I do have a lot of fat to lose.

If you are male and eating 1200 calories, you are most assuredly losing muscle.

Your statement that people can safely eat under 1000 calories is not responsible. Diets this severe need to be medically supervised.

You don't have a clue what I'm losing and what I'm not. Don't pretend you know anything about my progress. It just makes you look like a silly magician trying and failing to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Medical supervision isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary IMO. You are welcome to have your own opinion.

There is nothing magic about my thinking here. You say you are eating well below the recommended minimum for a male. I assume that you are at a huge deficit. We know that people at defecit that large lose lean mass. It's empirical science.

I would be interested to understand how you KNOW you have lost no muscle. This is not something we can just tell as the weight comes off.....

Maybe you shouldn't assume so much.

If you know your BF% a little math will get you pretty close to your lean mass. using the same formula every time is highly accurate.

How are you getting your body fat percentage?

I measure my waist, hips, wrist, thigh, and some other things and drop it in a calculator.

That formula gives a reasonable estimate. It is not, however, highly accurate. (I wish it was as it gives me an extremely low number!)

Most everyone who loses a significant amount of wait at a decent pace is losing some lean mass. I lost 70 pounds at ~2500 calories a day; and I VERY likely lost some when I was losing-despite eating lots of protein and more than double the 1200 number of calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    LisaKay91 wrote: »

Then let it be a personal problem. You are no doctor.

I eat 1200 and I still recalculate my goals.. it has dropped 300 calories since losing 36lbs.. from 1600 to 1300.. you do know it is eventually going to tell me to eat 1200 calories PER MFP guidelines, right? Will it be wrong then? When you get below 1200 you lower the amount of weight you are set to lose per week... simple. 1200 truly is not that hard to obtain and stick with if you are dedicate and especially if you are extremely sedentary. My doctor said 500-800 calories but I did 1200 instead because THAT was not attainable to me what so ever.

I eat 1100-1200 under updated doctors orders and I sometimes can barely get that much food in me, even when I am exercising 2 hours of cardio per day 3 days per week. If I was going to eat exercise calories back I just simply wouldn't exercise. There would be no point to it for me. Why not eat a sandwich and coke while on the elliptical? And there's people who seem VERY obsessed with food.. I am not... I don't WANT to get in that mindset that I need to exercise so I can eat eat eat eat eat. I make food fit into my allowance when I really want it.. cake, crisps, alcohol, etc and I still lose without feeling guilt. Some exercise for fun and some do it for acceleration.. and some do it just to stuff their face more. Do you go to the success stories and harp on people who lost weight too quickly? There's quite a few of them who ate strict low calorie diets but people are praising them... and they still eat 1200 a day 500 days later... especially those who decided to get surgery.

We aren't all running the same race here.. every journey and every physical body/needs are different person to person... if I ate what some of these people say they eat I would be gaining 2lbs a week instead of losing it..

Go through the forum and see how many times people pop in these threads just to be redundant.. if they wanted people to criticize their eating they would ask but they are looking for like minded people to be friends with but they get the opposite. I haven't seen anyone tell someone they should eat 1200 a day but I have seen many a people tell others that they shouldn't.. based on.. presumptions.

we are not talking about those who had weight loss surgery or those under a drs care. as for barely being able to get 1200 calories in with all that exercise can I ask how you became overweight to begin with then? as for me harping on those that lose too fast. if a person isnt eating enough and not under drs care,then yes I will inform them that what they are doing can be and is often dangerous.Im not the only one who does that either. so you need to stop singling me out. a lot of people who have been here for years will inform others that eating too little its not safe. its not harping on someone when you are trying to help them lose weight the healthy way. harping is when you do it over and over and over again.not to mention this is a public forum and they dont have to ask people to put their 2 cents in. people are going to state facts,truths,untruths,etc.

we just want newbies to know that very low calorie diets are frowned upon on this site and dangerous unless under a drs care. no where did I see anyone say they were under a drs care.if a person is highly active 1200 is going to be too low,when they say burn more calories than you take in that is not what that means. they arent saying take in 1200 and burn off 1400.so you go onto the other threads and single other people out that state the same things I have? Im willing to bet you dont or havent yet.like I said if people want to harm themselves so be it,its on them. but if one person can give them the info to prevent that I dont see the harm. many of the members here have done low calorie diets and they know what happens when you dont get the nutrition you need from not enough calories or too much exercise/both. But if it makes you feel better by singling me out then go ahead. I will continue to try and help inform others and help them out. I guess if it was something that I shouldnt be doing the mods would have prevented me from posting by now.
  • efoy89
    efoy89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think 400 is a happy cal number atm in gym.. it isnt really too bad to get too, usually 60/80 mins workout then do a little strength. I cant grasp why im gaining weight not loosing though! Must be my eating haha! Some days im 200 over next day im 400 under but it all equates over the week to Verage of 1100 a day! Xx running outdoor is good but i find i feel like i have worked much harder in gym because i push myself more with people around etc! X

You've also possibly lost fat but gained muscle, thats why you cant always just judge by the scales etc. Are your clothes fitting a little looser? I never just look at the number on the scales
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    [

MFP puts the minimum for men at 1200 and the minimum for ladies at 1000. I know this because I tried to close my diary at 1194 and a message popped up.

The truth is, you could eat 4000 calories and still suffer from malnutrition if all you eat is honey buns. You can also eat 1000 or lower and still get proper nutrition if you have enough body fat to give your body energy. The minimum that you've read about on the internet is there to keep people from dying who don't understand nutrition.

if MFP put a woman at 1000 calories then it was a glitch because I have messed around with the settings and it wont go below 1200. Im eating more than 2000 calories and Im only 5'6 and I lost 0.6lbs this week alone. and Im 163.8 lbs as well. so if I can lose eating that much then a male taller than myself or even 6'1 could lose eating more than 1200-1500 calories. also Im lightly active. most days I get in over 10,000 steps,some days more.Im going to get back to lifting weights too. but if someone is more than lightly active then 1200-1500 most likely is not enough. you have to fuel your body and your workouts. if you arent eating enough and getting enough protein you are losing muscle mass as well. losing too fast too quickly is not good unless you have a lot of weight and fat to lose in which case it will eventually slow down.

Go back and read the thread. There are two other explanations about where I got the 1000-1200 for women from.

I'm not losing muscle.

Your statement that people can safely eat under 1000 calories is not responsible. Diets this severe need to be medically supervised.

You don't have a clue what I'm losing and what I'm not. Don't pretend you know anything about my progress. It just makes you look like a silly magician trying and failing to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

Medical supervision isn't a bad idea, but it's not necessary IMO. You are welcome to have your own opinion.

There is nothing magic about my thinking here. You say you are eating well below the recommended minimum for a male. I assume that you are at a huge deficit. We know that people at defecit that large lose lean mass. It's empirical science.

I would be interested to understand how you KNOW you have lost no muscle. This is not something we can just tell as the weight comes off.....

If you know your BF% a little math will get you pretty close to your lean mass. using the same formula every time is highly accurate.

I measure my waist, hips, wrist, thigh, and some other things and drop it in a calculator.

That formula gives a reasonable estimate. It is not, however, highly accurate. (I wish it was as it gives me an extremely low number!)

Most everyone who loses a significant amount of wait at a decent pace is losing some lean mass. I lost 70 pounds at ~2500 calories a day; and I VERY likely lost some when I was losing-despite eating lots of protein and more than double the 1200 number of calories.

You're right, the formula for bf% wouldn't be accurate, but the change over time is accurate if you use the same formula every time.

I'm sure genetics play a part in lean mass lost in a deficit too, although I don't know how much. All I know is, going by my measurements and progress at the gym I haven't lost lean mass or strength. I'm sure everyone has different results though.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As of today my goal is 1200. I would love to partner up with someone! My daily activity has gone down from the last few years and I've discovered I need to adjust my calories down to lose weight.
  • Loomus
    Loomus Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    ME! *waves* I'm on 1200 a day. It doesn't go far some days.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

You're right, the formula for bf% wouldn't be accurate, but the change over time is accurate if you use the same formula every time.

I'm sure genetics play a part in lean mass lost in a deficit too, although I don't know how much. All I know is, going by my measurements and progress at the gym I haven't lost lean mass or strength. I'm sure everyone has different results though.

Actually the change over time isn't accurate either. I know you will never believe me, but the measure you are using is not validated to use it in the way you are using it.

I use the same measure. When I lost my weight, my belly fat and waistline were the first measurements to go down, and they went down dramatically. As a result, the measurements that you are using suggested I was gaining muscle at a 1000 calorie/day deficit. This is not possible.

When I lost, I lost some lean mass and gained strength-eating more than twice what you are eating and weightlifting.

• sierrahvonvanity
    sierrahvonvanity Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Me! Anyone feel free to add me as a friend! :smiley:
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    [

I'm not losing muscle.

Actually the change over time isn't accurate either. I know you will never believe me, but the measure you are using is not validated to use it in the way you are using it.

I use the same measure. When I lost my weight, my belly fat and waistline were the first measurements to go down, and they went down dramatically. As a result, the measurements that you are using suggested I was gaining muscle at a 1000 calorie/day deficit. This is not possible.

When I lost, I lost some lean mass and gained strength-eating more than twice what you are eating and weightlifting.

Okay.
  • tamyena
    tamyena Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm staying between 1200-1300 calories a day. MFP says my target is 1600, but, I want to lose at least 2 lbs. a week, which I have been doing and maintaining. I work out, mainly swimming or walking, 5-6 days a week, using up around 700-1000 calories a day.

It feels about right for me though, I am losing consistently and feel strong and with a lot of energy.

I do take a protein shake 1-2x a day and take BCAA 1600 mg daily to help my muscles. It seems to be working!

I am now off all the Type2 Diabetic medications now, including insulin and the pills! That is a HUGE success for me!! I still have a ways to go, but, hopefully should be reaching my goal first part of the new year.
  • Australorp
    Australorp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm doing the 1200cal thingy (and I'm 5'3.5" if that is useful information) and thus far, touch wood, have lost ~2.5 kg (since mid-June, with a few fluctuations LOLOL). It was hard in the first couple of weeks but then I got used to eating less (but have had the odd "treat" day)... I used MFP back in 2013 and lost 6kg (but then ate it back on when I moved to a very stressful job!); right now my workplace is having a "Biggest Loser" competition and I am participating. Greatest percentage lost gets a prize pool of $180 (we all contributed $20). Keeps us motivated despite the saboteurs who bring in baked cheesecake!

Catherine
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    1200 calories in with all that exercise can I ask how you became overweight to begin with then?

How did you get fat? Being unmindful of the calories you were consuming. Sorry you aren't able to find filling foods under 1300 calories but I can :)

You are redundant like the rest of them.
    1200 for a female isnt VLC... MFP wouldn't suggest it if it wasn't allowed, right? You and others make vast assumptions about the people who do eat lower calories.. you are not trying to help anyone. If it makes you feel important to try to lecture people keep coming back like a broken record but it doesn't look like.you helped anyone here