Fat freezing

Options

Replies

• suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the only thing cool sculpting is good at is thinning out the wallet or purse.

Chingchingchingching ......we have our winner......
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Holy moly. I can't even imagine how this might effect someone with Raynaud's. quote]

This is the first thing I thought of!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Now I'm not a science person, but I recall reading that most fat that gets burned doesn't get expelled from the body as waste..... Which sounds like what this is claiming. Seems unlikely that you can freeze your fat and pee or sweat it out.
  • daniellek30
    daniellek30 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ultrasound Cativation is a much better way to go, but frankly it's too complicated for me to explain this early in the morning. I have a friend that does it, and the results are really good. My husband had it done, for free, so that we could test it and I could definitely tell a difference.

Don't expect though that you can then go eat whatever you want, and the fat won't come back, because it will.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it done, but there are a bunch of reviews on Realself if you are interested: https://www.realself.com/coolsculpting-by-zeltiq
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    That's not exactly how it's supposed to work and not really how it's intended to be used either.

It's supposed to freeze/kill the actual fat cells on a small area so that you're no longer able to store fat in that spot, much like a mini lipo.
    From what I gather, it's not intended as a weight loss technique or for large fat deposits but rather for things like double chins on people who are relatively lean (some people, like myself, can carry fat under the chin even when at a healthy weight) or other unfortunate fat deposits that persist after reaching goal weight.

I can see where there would be a great deal of failure or even disaster if someone attempted to use this as an actual weight loss technique.
  • EastSideJohnny
    EastSideJohnny Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have flabby skin around my gut from where I lost a bunch of weight. My primary care doctor recommended this as opposed to a tummy tuck because of cost, effectiveness and most importantly--safety. Still undecided but interested.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have flabby skin around my gut from where I lost a bunch of weight. My primary care doctor recommended this as opposed to a tummy tuck because of cost, effectiveness and most importantly--safety. Still undecided but interested.

I would talk to a board certified plastic surgeon before doing it. From my understanding it will not help with loose skin. I saw 7 different doctors before my tummy tuck and did a lot of research and I never came across one that recommended this for a weight loss patient to deal with the skin.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    According to the results from the clinical trial, there were results but they were minor. I wouldn't waste my time or money.
    The results are minor, but interestingly this is the only approach other than lipo that actually eliminates fat cells rather than just shrinking them. People who have lost a lot of weight may still suffer from endocrine/hormonal disruptions, as the fat cells remain metabolically active even after they have shrunk through weight loss.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

@EastSideJohnny , how much total? With/without insurance?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    According to the results from the clinical trial, there were results but they were minor. I wouldn't waste my time or money.
    The results are minor, but interestingly this is the only approach other than lipo that actually eliminates fat cells rather than just shrinking them. People who have lost a lot of weight may still suffer from endocrine/hormonal disruptions, as the fat cells remain metabolically active even after they have shrunk through weight loss.

It is, but there are so few fat cells eliminated (given the targeted nature and limits of the technology) that I am doubtful that there would be any noticeable effect on the aforementioned disruptions. More study is needed.
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    Options
    It's sounds awesome and if I had the money I'd be getting that and other laser stuff done to perfect my natural beauty. It must be how the rich stay looking rich. Maybe I can get an ice pack and freeze my own fat? Maybe some dry ice lol.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    For once there is some actual research with positive findings for some methods;

1. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):703-8.

Cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat layer reduction.

Avram MM, Harry RS.

Dermatology Laser & Cosmetic Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston,
    Massachusetts 02114, USA. mavram@partners.org

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Cryolipolysis is a unique non-invasive method for the
    selective reduction of fat cells with controlled, localized cooling. It is
    important, therefore, to understand the potential efficacy and safety of this new
    procedure for fat layer reduction. MATERIALS AND METHODS: A review of the
    literature associated with cryolipolysis was performed to evaluate the findings
    from pre-clinical and clinical studies with respect to the mechanism of action,
    efficacy, and safety. RESULTS: Cryolipolysis has demonstrated efficacy in both
    human and animal studies. Histology findings also confirm the selective reduction
    of fat in both humans and animals, with evidence of a gradual thinning of the fat
    layer over a period of two to four months. Importantly, cryolipolysis has not
    produced any significant adverse side effects in studies to date and any noted
    effects have been minor and temporary. CONCLUSION: Although the mechanism of
    action for cryolipolysis is not yet completely understood, the efficacy and
    safety of this non-invasive procedure for fat layer reduction has been
    demonstrated in the studies available to data. Further studies willl assist in
    identifying the mechanism and elucidate the full potential of this technology to
    perform safe, non-invasive fat reduction for areas of local fat accumulation.
    Copyright 2009 Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 20014262 [PubMed - in process]

2. Lasers Surg Med. 2009 Dec;41(10):785-90.

Non-invasive cryolipolysis for subcutaneous fat reduction does not affect serum
    lipid levels or liver function tests.

Klein KB, Zelickson B, Riopelle JG, Okamoto E, Bachelor EP, Harry RS, Preciado
    JA.

Endpoint LLC, Bainbridge Island, Washington 98110, USA.

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Cryolipolysis provides a method of non-invasive fat
    reduction that significantly reduces subcutaneous fat without injury to adjacent
    tissues. Preliminary animal and human data have suggested that cryolipolysis has
    no effect on serum lipid profiles or liver tests. This study was intended to more
    fully document any effect of this procedure on lipid and liver-related blood
    tests. STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS: Forty subjects with fat bulges on
    their flanks ("love handles") were treated bilaterally with a non-invasive device
    (Zeltiq Aesthetics, Pleasanton, CA) that precisely cools tissue to achieve a
    reduction in the fat layer. Serum lipid levels and liver tests were measured
    prior to treatment, and at 1 day and 1, 4, 8, and 12 weeks post-treatment.
    RESULTS: No meaningful changes in mean values were observed for any blood lipid
    level or liver test at any point over the 12-week follow-up period. CONCLUSION:
    Cryolipolysis, when used for reduction of subcutaneous flank fat, is not
    associated with changes in serum lipids or liver test results. Copyright 2009
    Wiley-Liss, Inc.

PMID: 20014252 [PubMed - in process]

3. Dermatol Surg. 2009 Oct;35(10):1462-70. Epub 2009 Jul 13.

Cryolipolysis for noninvasive fat cell destruction: initial results from a pig
    model.

Zelickson B, Egbert BM, Preciado J, Allison J, Springer K, Rhoades RW, Manstein
    D.

Department of Dermatology, University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis,
    Minnesota, USA. zelic002@earthlink.net

BACKGROUND: Liposuction is one of the most frequently performed cosmetic
    procedures in the United States, but its cost and downtime has led to the
    development of noninvasive approaches for adipose tissue reduction. OBJECTIVE: To
    determine whether noninvasive controlled and selective destruction of fat cells
    (Cryolipolysis) can selectively damage subcutaneous fat without causing damage to
    the overlying skin or rise in lipid levels. METHODS: Three Yucatan pigs underwent
    Cryolipolysis at 22 sites: 20 at cooling intensity factor (CIF) index 24.5 (-43.8
    mW/cm(2)), one at CIF 24.9 (-44.7 mW/cm(2)), and one at CIF 25.4 (-45.6
    mW/cm(2)). Treated areas were evaluated using photography, ultrasound, and gross
    and microscopic pathology. Lipids were at various times points. One additional
    pig underwent Cryolipolysis at various days before euthanasia. RESULTS: The
    treatments resulted in a significant reduction in the superficial fat layer
    without damage to the overlying skin. An inflammatory response triggered by
    cold-induced apoptosis of adipocytes preceded the reduction in the fat layer.
    Evaluation of lipids over a 3-month period following treatment demonstrated that
    cholesterol and triglyceride values remained normal. CONCLUSIONS: Cryolipolysis
    is worthy of further study because it has been shown to significantly decrease
    subcutaneous fat and change body contour without causing damage to the overlying
    skin and surrounding structures or deleterious changes in blood lipids.

PMID: 19614940 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009 Jul;33(4):482-8. Epub 2009 Mar 19.

Clinical efficacy of noninvasive cryolipolysis and its effects on peripheral
    nerves.

Coleman SR, Sachdeva K, Egbert BM, Preciado J, Allison J.

Department of Surgery, NYU School of Medicine, 44 Hudson Street, New York, NY
    10013, USA. LipoStructure@yahoo.com

BACKGROUND: Cryolipolysis provides a method for noninvasive fat reduction that
    significantly reduces subcutaneous fat in a pig model without apparent damage to
    skin and surrounding structures. This study aimed to determine whether fat
    reduction in humans caused by cold exposure is associated with alteration in
    local sensory function or nerve fibers. METHODS: In this study, 10 subjects were
    treated with a prototype cooling device. Fat reduction was assessed in 9 of the
    10 subjects via ultrasound before treatment and at the follow-up visit. Sensory
    function was assessed by neurologic evaluation (n = 9), and biopsies (n = 1) were
    collected for nerve staining. RESULTS: Treatment resulted in a normalized fat
    layer reduction of 20.4% at 2 months and 25.5% at 6 months after treatment.
    Transient reduction in sensation occurred in six of nine subjects assessed by
    neurologic evaluation. However, all sensation returned by a mean of 3.6 weeks
    after treatment. Biopsies showed no long-term change in nerve fiber structure.
    There were no lasting sensory alterations or observations of skin damage in any
    of the subjects evaluated. CONCLUSION: Noninvasive cryolipolysis results in
    substantial fat reduction within 2 months of treatment without damage to skin.
    The procedure is associated with modest reversible short-term changes in the
    function of peripheral sensory nerves.

PMID: 19296153 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's sounds awesome and if I had the money I'd be getting that and other laser stuff done to perfect my natural beauty. It must be how the rich stay looking rich. Maybe I can get an ice pack and freeze my own fat? Maybe some dry ice lol.

Because there's nothing quite as sexy as necrosis from frostbite.

I was only kidding.

I actually give myself home made coffee scrub massages on my thighs, that and walking have made my legs nice.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It's a cosmetic procedure. It's not for weight loss. Results are questionable at best.