Calories/Clean Eating/Undereating

Options
I get the math of calories in vs calories out, but I'm somewhat confused regarding minimum calorie intake and the hate on clean eating VS the eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories mindset.

How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies? The general reasoning behind consuming no less than 1200 calories (or 1500 for men) is that you won't get enough nutrients. However, I honestly believe you'd actually get better nutrition and be healthier on a diet that consisted of clean eating but less calories.

Disclaimers: I am not advocating a super low calorie diet, just asking a question. Also, I do acknowledge that "clean eating" doesn't have a clear definition. Operate with the understanding that, to me, clean eating = minimally processed, lots of fresh vegetables, pronouncable ingredients.

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    All of the above illustrates my point. Every single comment was hung up on the term. My question was actually about the calorie limit. That's the "hate" I see. I don't know what other term to use, and I even explained what I meant by clean eating.
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    Operate with the understanding that, to me, clean eating = minimally processed, lots of fresh vegetables, pronouncable ingredients.

(Bold added after the fact to emphasize the difference between canned tuna and a Pop Tart.)

Semantics: protein is a nutrient. MacroNUTRIENTS include protein, carbs, and fat. Also, saying, "such a low amount is bad for you because an overly aggressive deficit is bad for you" is like saying "Ford's better than Chevy because Ford's better than Chevy."

Again, I'm not advocating extremely low calorie for anyone. I'm also not saying everyone should be on 1200 or 1500 calories, respectively. But where did that number come from? WHY is it 1200/1500?

I think part of the dissention is my own fault for not being clear, as well. I didn't mean to suggest that anyone actually consumes ONLY fast food, ice cream, and alcohol. I've seen several posts and comments though that indicate many people get a significant amount of calories by eating ice cream daily or drinking alcohol several times per week.

If my goal is to save money, is it unreasonable to never eat out? If my goal is to finish college with all A's, is it unreasonable to never skip class? If my goal is to be fit and healthy (not just lose weight), why is it so unreasonable to never drink alcohol or eat cookies?

***Also, while this IS the debate forum, I am not arguing just to argue. I honestly don't understand the logic and am looking for answers. :)***
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I get the math of calories in vs calories out, but I'm somewhat confused regarding minimum calorie intake and the hate on clean eating VS the eat whatever you want, as long as it's within your calories mindset.

How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies? The general reasoning behind consuming no less than 1200 calories (or 1500 for men) is that you won't get enough nutrients. However, I honestly believe you'd actually get better nutrition and be healthier on a diet that consisted of clean eating but less calories.

Disclaimers: I am not advocating a super low calorie diet, just asking a question. Also, I do acknowledge that "clean eating" doesn't have a clear definition. Operate with the understanding that, to me, clean eating = minimally processed, lots of fresh vegetables, pronouncable ingredients.

I've been on these forums for awhile now and have never seen anyone say that consuming 1200 calories of low nutrition food is better than 1000 calories of more nutritious foods. I have seen posts time after time reassuring others that for weight loss calories matter most but also encouraging other posters to eat more protein, vegetables, fruits and whole grains rather than low nutrition foods.
    I don't think someone eating a very limited diet of 1000 calories of highly nutritious foods is as healthy long term as a person who eats 1200 calories or more but with a wide variety of foods- mostly highly nutritious. Long term the more restrictive a diet is the harder it is for many people to sustain. Non-sustainable diets often lead to yo-yoing weight, binging episodes, frustration, self hatred, etc.
    Eat less processed foods if you prefer but it isn't necessary to "eat clean" or eat extremely low calorie to lose weight and be healthy.
  • cecsav1
    Options
    Calorie limits, clean eating, and reaching your macros/micros are three completely different goals and conversations.

I think this exactly addresses my problem. I may have clouded the issue by including too many parts of the equation. Thank you. I have a bad habit of overcomplicating things. :)
  • cecsav1
    Options
    And @goldthistime yes :) both of your answers were extremely helpful. I definitely appreciate the way you explained it to me. Thank you
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options

People have a hate because of statements like "How is 1200 calories of ice cream, fast food, and alcohol better for you than 1000 calories of tuna, eggs, and veggies?"
    Do you SERIOUSLY *PUPPY* BELIEVE that even a single person on this forum does that?

I took her point as being more conceptual. It is possible, even probable, that a 1000 calorie diet of tuna, eggs and veggies is more nutritious than a 1200 calorie diet without restrictions. She is asking an honest question as to why there seems to be a much greater emphasis on the 1200 calorie minimum than the nutritional content of the diet.

@cecsav1 I think the answer lies in the liability of promoting such a plan. Medical professionals have put that 1200 calorie forth as the bottom line number and most people trust in that. It is seen as a hard fact with dangerous consequences. I don't think there is a comparable figure for nutrients which carries the same weight.

When you look at either concept in practical terms though, I don't see much danger there. People who decide to restrict themselves to less than 1000 calories are not very likely as a whole to be successful enough to able to restrict themselves into a nutrient deficiency (excepting those with eating disorders). The same could be said of those only seeking to eat "dirty" foods (whatever that means).

I am not advocating very low calorie diet, just talking ideas. Please don't read my writings (or any other random thing on the internet) and act as if they are fact.