13»

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    CincyNeid wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    what about the study done at Ball state university in Indiana which showed it was off by 14%...that was an independent study.

I don't agree with the lawsuit...why because most active people know HRM with a chest strap is the only way to go and that is only for steady state cardio....but Fitbit shouldn't be advertising their HRM is "amazing" and provides good data when it doesn't.

I'm curious to know if that's why Fitbit doesn't allow their products to connect to ANT+ HRMs to people cannot see how off they are.

Good question...

interesting comparison here tho of Jawbone vs Fitbit

http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-v-fitbit-charge-hr-best-fitness-tracker-2015

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Good question...

interesting comparison here tho of Jawbone vs Fitbit

http://www.wareable.com/jawbone/jawbone-up3-v-fitbit-charge-hr-best-fitness-tracker-2015

I looked heavily into the Jawbone line before I settled with Garmin. I wanted something that would pair well a GPS running Watch and/or GPS cycling computer. Jawbones lack there of is the only reason I didn't go that route. I even tested my VivoActive HR against my Forerunner 220 with a Wahoo Fitness chest mounted HRM and found it only off a beat, at most 2 beats, across the range of me walking, cycling, or doing stairs climbs.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I had a Fitbit (the one that was recalled) and never had a problem with it. I was going to just keep but decided against it because the apps wouldn't support it after some time. Never did return it as my puppy chewed it and broke it.

I did purchase an Atlas Wearable which was working OK but just didn't quite track my exercises and lifts correctly. Close but nothe close enough. Had some problems with the watch UI and the app so it sits in a drawer. They just released a new firmware and UI with teaching mode so I might try again.

I think as long as you understand that teachers are inherently limited and you know where yours is weak and strong then use it.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    karl317 wrote: »
    In the fitness tracker world, there's fitbit, then there's everything else.

I think it's fair to say that, at the simple step tracker end of the market, FitBit certainly have greatest market penetration, and a very loyal user base. When people recommend them on here it's very clear that they're motivated by the more developed social aspects and the fairly simple challenges.
    Is not that other fitness trackers are bad, in fact it wouldn't take you long to find a tracker that lasts longer, has more features and is cheaper than a fitbit. It's just that most of their *software* is way undercooked. Fitbit took the time to make their ecosystem a complete one, and gave almost everyone under the sun the ability to contribute and share data with it (with varying degrees of success, mind you).

Again it depends on where in the market one is operating. Given the relatively simple dataset, and lack of sports tracking features having a shiny front end doesn't generate much interest for many.
    There's a REASON a bunch of lawyers funded a study with the sole purpose of generating a lawsuit against fitbit's heart rate technology (which is NOT exclusive to fitbit, yet they are the only ones named in the lawsuit). They want to knock fitbit down a few notches because they are absolutely destroying their competitors.

Black helicopters delivered the paperworsk didn't they?

It would be useful to consider their place in the wider market given so many sports devices now include the low end FitBit functionality alongside functionality that provides a much wider dataset.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Fitbit has a larger market share but that doesn't make them the best on the market.

I'm a big Garmin fan. I started with the Vivofit, nice affordable entry level watch, no charging and pairs with a chest strap for tracking. Now I have the Vivoactive and I love it even more. Same chest strap and great downloadable apps that are activity specific, GymTimer being my favourite. They've had the odd hiccup but that's because they're actively trying to improve the product and it's never been more than a minor annoyance.

I'm not a fan of the wrist read HR devices, I'm just not happy with the comparative reviews done on their accuracy so I'm good with using a chest strap. I don't need to know what my heart rate is when I'm lying in bed anyway!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    There's a REASON a bunch of lawyers funded a study with the sole purpose of generating a lawsuit against fitbit's heart rate technology

From personal experience after spending $150 on a Fitbit Charge HR and successfully getting it refunded, I'm going to say that reason is because the HRM does not work reliably and is unfit for its purpose. It was no better than rolling dice to see what your pulse is during exercise. It's really not a conspiracy.

I'm a fitbit lover, and still would never bother with a fitbit HR ..
    Chest strap maaaybe, but wouldn't bother with a wrist worn HR monitor device.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    There's a REASON a bunch of lawyers funded a study with the sole purpose of generating a lawsuit against fitbit's heart rate technology

From personal experience after spending $150 on a Fitbit Charge HR and successfully getting it refunded, I'm going to say that reason is because the HRM does not work reliably and is unfit for its purpose. It was no better than rolling dice to see what your pulse is during exercise. It's really not a conspiracy.

I'm a fitbit lover, and still would never bother with a fitbit HR ..

Chest mounted straps are more fluid and accurate in their reading. Plus, as far as i know, Fitbit units do not have an optional setting to broadcast their HRM readings to a nearby GPS running watch or Cycling computer.
  • cat028
    cat028 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Do you use your Fitbit or MPF app to daily food tracker
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cat028 wrote: »
    Do you use your Fitbit or MPF app to daily food tracker

I use MFP for food, it's so much easier and straightforward than logging in fitbit.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Swings and roundabouts really. The slightly higher accuracy for a chest strap is of negligible importance for most people, it only really comes into play if you're using a very sophisticated head end like a Fenix3 or the current generation of Forerunners.

I do have some practical issues with the optical HR implementations, in winter if it's able to read HR it's under a base layer so one can't see the screen, and similarly if cycling it's on the wrist so one can't see it.

I've currently got a VivoSmart HR, which helps mitigate those points. It'll breadcast HR using ANT+, so compatible devices can take the data and weave it in. From a very practical perspective that means on my morning commute I can just tell the VivoSmart to broadcast, collect the data on my Edge 520 and as soon as I get to the office it'll synch the ride over bluetooth. Fewer bits of kit to worry about. My only real criticism is the collection rate is lower.

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    bagofmoney wrote: »
    How accurate are the "calories burned" on the FitBits? I have a FitBit Zip and make sure I wear it when I volunteer at the hospital. When I walk about 3 miles, it says I've burned, roughly, 1000 calories. But I just saw a post of someone who ran 3.5 miles outside and burned 500 calories. Which is more accurate?

A Fitbit gives you your total energy burn (TDEE = BMR + exercise + daily activities). When it says you burned 1,000 calories, it means you burned 1,000 calories of TDEE for the whole day. Fitbits are activity trackers, aka glorified pedometers. They aren't HRMs or built to separate BMR calories from exercise calories.

This is why I have my activity level set at sedentary on mfp, my fitbit (flex) is set at normal sensitivity and on my dominant hand, but I actually wear it on my non dominant one....all of these settings seems to make it more accurate for me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I used to have a Mio Fuse, it was a step counter and wrist based heart monitor. It broadcast over ANT+ and Bluetooth so you could collect the data with your phone, or with a Garmin. It had some issues but generally worked well as an HRM, even from the wrist.

I have a Fenix 3 HR, with a wrist based HR sensor, but also two chest straps. The wrist sensor comes into play on lunch walks because I don't keep a chest strap at work, and occasionally when I forget to put one on. It works ok, but not as well as the Mio. Also stuff like recovery time is less reliable without a chest strap.

Fitbit's wrist HRM worked fine on the couch but it was all over the place on the trail. She wore it tight, and a few inches up from where you'd put a watch, where it needs to be for best results.
  • audrabamford1
    audrabamford1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell my how to transfer my steps to mfp and my calories to my Garmin having problems x
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell my how to transfer my steps to mfp and my calories to my Garmin having problems x

What have you tried? When I first started I had a VSHR (don't recommend it, software is buggy) and from the Garmin Connect app is how I found this place. it walked me through creating and linking the two pretty easily. It was just on the calories in/out tab in GC. When I upgraded to a VivoActive HR (much better IMHO), the connection was still there.

As to accuracy, I have a Polar H7 that I wear on the treadmill daily. I compare what it gives for a calorie burn to what gets pushed through to MFP from my VAHR. It has consistently been with 10 calories, or less than 5% different. So I just rely on the VAHR for other activites.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    In the fitness tracker world, there's fitbit, then there's everything else.

Is not that other fitness trackers are bad, in fact it wouldn't take you long to find a tracker that lasts longer, has more features and is cheaper than a fitbit. It's just that most of their *software* is way undercooked. Fitbit took the time to make their ecosystem a complete one, and gave almost everyone under the sun the ability to contribute and share data with it (with varying degrees of success, mind you).

There's a REASON a bunch of lawyers funded a study with the sole purpose of generating a lawsuit against fitbit's heart rate technology (which is NOT exclusive to fitbit, yet they are the only ones named in the lawsuit). They want to knock fitbit down a few notches because they are absolutely destroying their competitors.

Fitbit trackers are the trackers by which all others are judged, and it's not just because of marketing hype. More sophisticated and accurate trackers exist, but people love the fitbit software even if it doesn't cater to the most hardcore fitness enthusiast. If every other fitness tracker adopted the same software goals for their own trackers, the industry world look very, very different.

Except FitBit completely lacks the at the one thing that is most important to me - built-in GPS. Phone-based gps is piss-poor at pacing and completely worthless if your workouts take place in areas that have poor or existent cellular coverage. No amount of "ecosystem" can make up for that.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    Options
    I have
    Garmin Vivoactive
    Misfit Shine
    Jawbone 3

Each has a niche and a purpose.

The Shine is most accurate for sleep and general activity(and it's a nifty watch in a pinch)
    Vivoactive has GPS and Syncs with my Wahoo Chest strap
    Jawbone 3 does a fair job with sleep, but I like having the HRM.

Why not a Vivoactive HR.

Well-- the Shine was $20(clearance target)
    Vivoactive--$100(Clearance Amazon Refurb )
    Jawbone--$22(Clearance)

I like being able to have one on each wrist to play off each other and keep them honest.

As far as fitbit. They're a newcomer to the market and Garmin has been making fitness trackers(and I've been using Garmin) for 15+ years. If there is a mistake to be made, they've made it and fixed it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Fitbit have great customer service, did you contact them about your busted device?
  • Mack344
    Mack344 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I used the Apple Watch 1 and now the series two. Both great trackers
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I use a Flex 2 as an activity tracker after using my Flex for 2 years. The first Flex I purchased wouldn't hold a charge after a year and Fitbit customer service sent me a replacement with no issues (which I gave to my son). I upgraded to the Flex 2 for the additional features and waterproofiness.

For HRM I picked up a Polar H7. Great chest HRM and very accurate. The data is linked to your smartphone and I've been using Polar's data for years. You can export this to excel for additional analysis.