Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Earthing/Grounding

Options

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I was thinking along these lines too. It sounds like a good way to get parasites.

I've never heard anything about people who garden having more parasites than their neighbors. They do seem happier. Probably not for having dirt on their hands, but for nourishing life and spending time surrounded with beauty.

Lol. Of course not, you're walking in a garden. Not a third world country with shoddy waste disposal or Central Park where every inch has probably been graced by a dog turd or six.

I agree with the gardening happiness though.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I was thinking along these lines too. It sounds like a good way to get parasites.

I've never heard anything about people who garden having more parasites than their neighbors. They do seem happier. Probably not for having dirt on their hands, but for nourishing life and spending time surrounded with beauty.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but you can get toxoplasmosis by gardening and you probably wouldn't even know it. But gardening is a wonderful hobby and I wasn't thinking of walking barefoot in one's own yard, which is amazing when the grass is soft and well tended!

I, like Alluminati, was thinking of going barefoot in places that aren't as nice. Which is probably not what OP was talking about, but it did spring to mind when reading his post.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

Actually, if there are loose cats anywhere, toxoplasmosis is a very real risk to gardeners.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I feel happier since I started walking outside in the mornings with shoes on and on asphalt. Not worrying about why.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    If it's warm enough to be barefoot, I'm usually barefoot. And I've been healthy all my life. So there you go. Proof positive that it works.

The downside is bees. ::grumble::

Yes, I've been stung on the sole of my foot. Did you know a bee sting in the wrong place can cause plantar fasciitis? Not fun.

Here, if it's warm enough to be barefoot odds are it's also warm enough to burn the bejeezus out of your feet unless you stay strictly on vegetation or in water.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    If it's warm enough to be barefoot, I'm usually barefoot. And I've been healthy all my life. So there you go. Proof positive that it works.

Yes, I've been stung on the sole of my foot. Did you know a bee sting in the wrong place can cause plantar fasciitis? Not fun.

Here, if it's warm enough to be barefoot odds are it's also warm enough to burn the bejeezus out of your feet unless you stay strictly on vegetation or in water.

I'm not sure what plantar fasciitis is but it must not be very easy to catch or I've been lucky. I can't remember a Summer when I wasn't stung at least once on my feet. Already been stung once this year. :/
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of the movie Pretty Woman. Julia Roberts made Richard Gere take his shoes off to feel the grass. At the end of the movie he took a walk in barefeet when he was deciding to be with her forever.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I live in the southeast US and my daily shoe of choice are flip flops, even in winter, and that's only when I have to go somewhere that requires shoes. The bottoms of my feet are so tough, hot pavement or sand doesn't phase me. I got stung on my foot a few years ago and it was more of a "what the heck is stuck in my foot" feeling than pain, so until I actually saw the bee and stinger lodged in my skin, I didn't know it was a bee sting. I'm honestly surprised the little thing got his stinger to even penetrate my skin. lol
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I'm not sure what plantar fasciitis is but it must not be very easy to catch or I've been lucky. I can't remember a Summer when I wasn't stung at least once on my feet. Already been stung once this year. :/

It's inflammation of the plantar fascia, a band of tissue that connects your heel to your toes. I had a lot of swelling with that sting and I was stung up in the arch of my foot. It caused scar tissue to form in that band. For years if I stretched my foot too much I tore the scar tissue and had to hobble around until it healed again.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

You don't need much evidence to prove things to you, do you?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

The post was sarcastic.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

The post was sarcastic.

Some of your other posts would lead me to believe that is not true.
  • ouryve
    ouryve Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

I'll not be earthing myself on any British pavements, even if it was a thing.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I find that wiggling my toes in the grass helps relieve stress and makes me generally feel better after a long day in the office, nature and I enjoy one-another's company. Other than that... which I think is positive enough in itself.... I think it's what we make of it - free radical neutralization or not.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ouryve wrote: »
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

Pavement is not "earth".
  • Alluminati
    Options

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?
  • Alluminati
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?

Yeah, but it doesn't count if your grounding. Because... rules. And... feels. You have to be in direct contact with the earth - no pavement, no floor of the house, no shoe soles, etc. UNLESS of course you'd like to purchase a grounding mat for only $49.99! It will somehow bend the laws of woo to allow you to benefit from grounding without getting dirty :naughty:

tsk tsk, technicalities! :triumph: