Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Earthing/Grounding

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    ouryve wrote: »
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

I'll not be earthing myself on any British pavements, even if it was a thing.

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?

I am also on the Earth's surface, that doesn't make me Earth.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I find it very pleasant to walk barefoot in the woods or on the beach, but it's a mental boost, not some magical free radical reduction or other such nonsense.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I find it very pleasant to walk barefoot in the woods or on the beach, but it's a mental boost, not some magical free radical reduction or other such nonsense.

And this is likely where any type of health improvement comes from. Never underestimate the power of stress relieve.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    What do I think? I think I would end up with broken glass embedded in my feet and probably a smear or two of dogshit.

Pavement is not "earth".

Pavement is on the earth's surface, ain't it?

I am also on the Earth's surface, that doesn't make me Earth.

The post was sarcastic.
  • Alluminati
    edited July 2016
    Options

Pavement is not "earth".

Since pavement is generally made up of various mined materials, how much processing of the earth is allowed? What about beach sand that has been dredged or mined? Is artificial turf okay? Or, at least better than brown grass. What if I'm on a mountain? Is that too high? Let's say 1000 meters?

It's not ok if you're walking on a person because a person is not EARTH.

ETA: Unless the person is dead, then they revert to EARTH. SO IT COUNTS!
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

Pavement is not "earth".

Since pavement is generally made up of various mined materials, how much processing of the earth is allowed? What about beach sand that has been dredged or mined? Is artificial turf okay? Or, at least better than brown grass. What if I'm on a mountain? Is that too high? Let's say 1000 meters?

It's not ok if you're walking on a person because a person is not EARTH.

I guess people are heavily processed earth, so not clean. Yea, definitely not clean. People are dirty.
  • Alluminati
    Options
    :(
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options
    :(

Hey, at least it saves them from being stepped all over. I guess dirty = self esteem then.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Pavement is not "earth".

For this thread? IDK

But if I were making the rules I'd say pavement and artificial anything is not earth. I don't see how moving earth from one place to another would make it not earth so I would consider beach sand earth. I can't imagine how elevation or grass color would matter at all.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    omg, please do not do the barefoot running thing. There's a reason we made shoes in the first place. You can get parasites, fractured bones, cuts and bruises as well as screw up your arch.

Walking around barefoot in your backyard sure, go for it. But running or exercising barefoot is just asking for an injury.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Asphalt comes from the earth, so it counts. QED.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »

Hey, if walking barefoot on asphalt works for you, go for it. Different strokes and all that jazz.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Hey, if walking barefoot on asphalt works for you, go for it. Different strokes and all that jazz.

I said QED. So it's good for everyone.
  • sunnybeaches105
    Options

I said QED. So it's good for everyone.

I grew up walking barefoot so much that I (and my friends) could walk on asphalt when the weather was in the high 90s. I've softened up a bit since then. When I was living on the beach I'd also jog barefoot. I love that feeling. To the people who get shocked by the idea and worry over injuries, you're right to some extent, feet take time to adapt, but it feels wonderful once they do. There's just no real magic to it other than the feeling. I also deadlift barefoot much of the time. Chucks are okay, but not perfect.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Perhaps if you are a Druid and you get your power from the earth, but that's just books. I like to walk outside barefoot my heals are very hard I can walk on rocks no problem, but there is also the threat of getting hookworm.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    If it's warm enough to be barefoot, I'm usually barefoot. And I've been healthy all my life. So there you go. Proof positive that it works.

The downside is bees. ::grumble::

Yes, I've been stung on the sole of my foot. Did you know a bee sting in the wrong place can cause plantar fasciitis? Not fun.

Here, if it's warm enough to be barefoot odds are it's also warm enough to burn the bejeezus out of your feet unless you stay strictly on vegetation or in water.

I'm not sure what plantar fasciitis is but it must not be very easy to catch or I've been lucky. I can't remember a Summer when I wasn't stung at least once on my feet. Already been stung once this year. :/

It's inflammation of the plantar fascia, a band of tissue that connects your heel to your toes. I had a lot of swelling with that sting and I was stung up in the arch of my foot. It caused scar tissue to form in that band. For years if I stretched my foot too much I tore the scar tissue and had to hobble around until it healed again.

How long did your plantar fascia take to heal it hurts so bad when I get up from sitting or sleeping, and I have to walk on my tip toes on my right foot I have had it for about 2 months
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

And this is likely where any type of health improvement comes from. Never underestimate the power of stress relieve.
    I think that does make sense. But like I mentioned before, if stress is dramatically reduced then that can reduce free radicals in the body, so it could be said that it works indirectly that way.