WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    on 7/16/61 would have been my late husbands 55th bday... he died when he was 34.. wow how time flies
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    a fellow TOPS gal left me a message saying her thoughts were on me today. I called her and we gabbed like geese in a garden! Love my friends in my neck of the woods here, and of course you all! (((hugs)))

Becca
    baking cookies for teenager in
    Oregon

I have had two finger-fulls of the cookie dough...AAAAck!
    Have gum in my mouth now...
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies.

I am over joyed to announce that we REALLY got the rental this time! Our realtor in Texas emailed us the lease SIGNED by the landlord. So it is official. We got a better home out of it. And at a lower monthly rate! Only slightly larger in square feet however the 4th bedroom provides us a storage room instead of having to rent one. I'll take the master (have a queen bed), hubs will take bedroom #2 (he likes his twin bed) and we will use bedroom #3 for his office and my crafting area. The living room and 3 bedrooms are carpeted. The kitchen is tile and the master bedroom is wood laminate. It has a small fenced in yard which is good for our 13 yo puppy Pokey. And it will be easy for the hubs to mow.

Today our realtor here held a broker's open house. We had to be out of the house with the dog from 1130-1pm. We delivered yet another load of items to Goodwill. Ate lunch at Swensen's for the first time. The burger was delish! Then stopped at the park and walked around a bit. Just wish we would have had more showings by now. We are in a desirable neighborhood. It's a wait and see when selling your home because it just takes the one person/persons to realize that this is the house they can make into their home.

I am pooped physically and mentally. Truly had to push myself yesterday to accomplish what we did. Finished up packing the basement rec area. I refused to tape shut some of my crafting boxes quite yet, especially the yarn, as I am in the midst of a project or two. But it's all in plastic tubs or boxes. We then moved upstairs to the bedrooms. We moved everything out of the least used one and designated that as the place to put all things going with us in the van. This way we can close the door and know for certain the movers will not take anything from that room. Legal papers, suitcases, plants, doggie stuff etc that will go in the minivan we are renting to travel down there. Having the Honda CR-V shipped. Packed all the hubs clothes except what he needs in the immediate future. Packed all the extra linens, blankets, towels not using now. Tomorrow we will start on the master bedroom. That will leave the kitchen as the last room to tackle.

The company we had arranged to arrive today to take the couch, dresser set and mattress set was a no show! Hmmm...what to do, what to do? We need someone to be able to come to the house and pick up these items. The Salvation Army and Goodwill are booked out into August. Well that's too late for us. Hubs will repost on Craigslist at even lower price....UPDATE...hubs just called into room that he has a buyer for the couch first thing tomorrow morning!!!

We plan on being pretty much organized and packed with a week and a half to just relax. No more job search, no more packing, no more anything for the first time in a while. So we may drive over to Indiana and visit my folks and 2 siblings. Not sure quite yet.

Have to run. The agent from the moving company we have chosen just arrived with some dearly needed used packing boxes. And....I believe one of our smoke detectors is beeping...oh dear it is so hard to isolate which one!

Hugs to all!

Cheri
    in very humid and hot NE oHIo preparing for just such weather in TX

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Re: I hope you enjoy your challenge. I'm betting you'll win both better health and the knowledge that you can change your own life. :flowerforyou:

Tracie: Good luck to your dad. Our neighbor had to have his bladder removed because of cancer. The surgery was a few years ago and he is now doing very well. He has a very positive outlook, works fulltime, mostly from home, and is the president of our homeowners association. I hope your dad's situation turns out as well as our neighbor's. :heart:

We're having a quiet day at home, and I've been studying for a city committee meeting tonight. I'm a volunteer, as are all the committee members, and I enjoy being involved.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Debbierichard – great job on the eating in such a stressful time!

Lisa – with 100 degree days you can’t paint the mural till it is cooler… maybe he’ll forget by then… Or maybe you could get the High school art class to do it for you? Great job on getting the article done…

Barbie – cute pic!

Marcelynh – beautiful pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cj – missed you, but knew you had a crazy schedule… you got me googling Heironymous Bosch painting I was clueless, but when I found the pictures, I had seen some of them (copies of course)

Alison – for the FIL Tom needs to help. Just tell the Bully to step up and do it or a bunch of women on MFP are going to think he is a wieny… *** Later – So proud of you to tell him to step up and that he actually did it and made a reasonable decision… good for you for praising him.

Michele – sorry no DVD use for me…

Ok so the phone rang and rang and I read between the customers, but did not take notes… sorry!
    Hugs to one and all. One of the calls was from a client who has a restaurant, I do her aprons, the supplier was slow so I am behind on getting them done, and I had left her a message that they were ready. She called to say her 32 year old daughter is in a hospital in Napa, CA with pneumonia on a respirator, the bacteria is related to toxic shock and she is very fragile, if she makes it the next few days than her long term outlook is good, but right now touch and go.. so she would like all the prayers or good thoughts available – Lynn’s daughter. This is not a client I am close to so I will not hear regular updates, but so sad and scary.

July Goals:
    2 fun things a week, Lunch with Ben, visiting with mom, Cajun food with a friend, got the job!
    Log everyday to the best I can, over if need be.
    11,000 + steps everyday – like to hit 160 miles for the month.

Smiles.

Kim from N. California
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Joyce - ask your pharmacist how to dispose of old medications. Whatever you do, peel your label off that shows your name, address, MD's name, that type of info. I usually use all my medications; but, I do have some that I need to dispose of. Quite often, I can double up or break in half. I know not too long ago, I think it was the Sheriff's Office that had a 'turn in your old Rx drug drive'. I don't know how he got rid of them; but, surely your pharmacist would know.

Lenora
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Pip! And yes the years fly by but the special people in our lives never leave us partly because they have become intertwined with our souls in a way that can never be broken.
    I think the bicycling is helping a bit with the scale... So the experiment will go on. Treated myself to a couple of neon green shirts so motorists could see me better.
    Betty
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Just hit 800mi
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Kay, I think I’d rather be awake from insomnia than for colonoscopy prep. I’ve had some that didn’t taste so bad and some that just made me gag. Good luck. beer-chugger.gif

Lisa, I’ll bet you could find some high school artists that would love to paint a mural for you. *Imagination running wild at the thought*

Rosi, I hope your sad/numbness passes soon. It sounds like you have your hands full with college preparations.

Allie, what is the problem with Jean’s brother?? I don’t recall hearing about him before but could have missed it in my hasty reading at times. Does he have mental problems? He sounds scary. Glad she is getting the restraining order.

Heather, I’m so happy you have started writing again. You do notice I haven’t been bugging you about it. I knew when the time was right you would get back to it. ((((Hugs))))

Barbie, such a cute little girl you were. No wonder you grew up to be a cute woman.

Kay, glad you got a clean check out of the colon.

Pip, hope Kirby likes his BD gifts. They sound better than a cake to me. :)

CarolNC, I've been thinking about you so much lately. Glad you are back and all is well. (((Hugs)))

Glo, I agree that it is so cool the way MFP takes a recipe and converts it to calories for us. I think that is one of the best features.

Heather, I'm so proud of you for all your alcohol free days. Please keep talking about it and perhaps some will rub off on me. I know it would help me lose weight.

LindaIA, you talked about no eletronic games to play in the car when you were a kid. I'm so much older than you that we didn't have sunscreen when I was a kid. And we also did the baby oil with iodine just to try to fry our skin.

CJ, good to see you back with us. I hope the health issues are resolved soon.

Re, great work and congrats on that scale moving for you. Yes, the body can change without the weight moving but it's nice when both happen. Good luck with your challenge and know we are here watching to make sure you don't swerve off that straight and narrow road. You Go Girl.

Pitroyal, welcome. This is a great place for support and information. Starting slow but steady is the best way to start. Good luck finding a gym that is a good fit. Please sign each post with the name you want us to call you and a location, general or specific.

Allie, it certainly sounds like your plate is full!!! Since it’s Tom’s father, can he not help with any of it? Geeezzzz

Betty, you are doing fantastic on your bike. Keep it up.

MicheleNC, I agree with contacting the fire department to see if they will come for the burn off. Better safe than sorry.

Barbie, I totally agree with you that when we say “no” to someone for whatever the request, it’s none of their business as to why. It just took me many years to get to the point that I didn’t feel I owed them an explanation or excuse.

Pip, laughing-hard-smiley-emoticon.gif at “mikesmom - i think u can stop calling him peanut butter and just call him your main squeeze already... You are too funny!!!!

Pat, so good to hear from you. Don’t be a stranger, friend.

Barbie, good for you on taking a step toward the electrical changes you want to make.

Heather, you enjoy your time with your “common” family and the celebration.

pretty-pink-welcome-smiley-emoticon.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

I got my nails done after lunch yesterday and had a meeting at the Moose last night. Actually had a committee meeting first and then the regular Women’s meeting. After not sleeping the night before, I was exhausted when I got home last night and did sleep well. Today I planned to go to line dance and then to rush home, clean up and go to a meeting for HOA Board members. I stayed busy this am with committee business and ended up not making it to line dancing. I hate that I missed it but needed some rest. I’ll go to the gym tomorrow after I go to cut a friend’s hair.
    I woke up this morning to DH telling me that Pepper (toy poodle) is not feeling well and being somewhat lethargic. I hate when they are sick because they don't talk to us, but we got appointment to see the vet this afternoon. DH took him and waited a long time to get in a room. There a couple of tech’s or assistants or something came in and asked a bunch of questions and took Pepper’s temperature. After they left, saying the doctor would be in soon, DH sat there for 30 minutes then got up and left. That’s not the first doctor’s office he has left after waiting too long in “that little room”. We now have an appointment with a different vet tomorrow morning so hope to get him checked out. He hasn’t gotten any worse and did eat dinner. He’s still drinking water and going out to do his business so hopefully it’s not anything serious.

Sending love and good thoughts to all of you and I hope you all have a Happy and Healthy Day! rainbow-smiley-emoticon.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, blow.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I discovered this evening I have a monster lurking in my frig.

Yesterday the stonemason came out and applied a liquid sealant to the fireplace stone on my hearth. The fumes were awful! I started getting a headache and my eyes watered up. So to escape the fumes and their affects, I took my daughter and I out to Carrabba's for dinner. This let me have serveral hours out of the house.

Blew my calorie count for the day, big time. Now to the monster. We did their daily special that included a dessert in the price of the meal. I chose to have their Chocolate Dream boxed up to take home without touching it. I was so full already and I don't usually have a dessert.

I just looked up what this dessert's calorie count is. One serving is 1,538 calories!! You can see my delimma, there is something loaded with chocolate and calories lurking in my frig. I am on a 1,300 calorie a day intake. I bet if I open the box and sniff it that will cost me at least 300 calories for that pleasure. I am totally a wimp in resisting chocolate.

I have offered it to my daughter but she has her own boxed dessert from dinner to eat. So I am treating like a spider lurking in the corner, if I ignore it, maybe it will just go away and I won't have to deal with it.

Charleen in Colorado (Unscrew the frig light, it's better to not see it) :#
  • Annr
    Options
    Joyce - ask your pharmacist how to dispose of old medications. Whatever you do, peel your label off that shows your name, address, MD's name, that type of info. I usually use all my medications; but, I do have some that I need to dispose of. Quite often, I can double up or break in half. I know not too long ago, I think it was the Sheriff's Office that had a 'turn in your old Rx drug drive'. I don't know how he got rid of them; but, surely your pharmacist would know.

Lenora

Our police station will take old medication....they have a locked box. Check with your local station :-) I had a HUGE box!! All of my husbands pre-transplant meds.
    Becca
  • Annr
    Options
    Well my middle sister called this afternoon, and she will be driving over from Gresham to the coast here, to see me. I am kind of in shock, but hopefully I will snap out of it before she gets here! She will be spending the night! This sister I haven't seen since July 2014!!!
    Becca
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Cheri, so glad you got your house!!!!! I think just the act of packing up my house would keep me from ever moving. I would have to hire some one to organize me and do the keep/donate/throw away thing and then move. But I guess I would have to have some one else to unpack me and decorate. I don't blame you at all in keeping your yarn out. Enjoy your week off. Where in Indiana would you be coming to visit?

Charleen, I guess I would have to say to you the same thing others have said to me. Carefully open that refrigerator and remove that box. Or better yet have your daughter get it out. Take it and throw it away. No regrets and then take a deep breath and rejoice in the wonderful thing you did. Your body will thank you for it. And your daughter will think you are the most awesome person.

I texted my oldest daughter today and asked if she knew when they were coming over. It's this weekend! Saturday through MOnday. We will celebrate my oldest grand daughter's 15th birthday when they come. I saw pictures of her when she was on vacation with her best friend in Florida and she looked like her chest size had grown 3 times since we last saw her but she says she is still in a 0, 2 or XS. Since when did high waisted jeans come back???? So I have to go to the mall. I think I will do some looking on line first. But it's hard to find the clothes in the store that I find on line. Her best friend turns 15 on Friday, they have never not celebrated a birthday together. She has a liver deficinency, at least I think it's liver, and she knows that she may not live past the teens. Of course medicine has improved since she was a child. But that is tough to know you may never grow up to be married and have children, go to college. And how does her best friend support that. They want to grow up dreaming of those things together. As you know, my two girls love to be together but Michelle is taking her boyfriend sky diving Saturday and she told me she has to be available to take her boyfriends dead body back to his parents! LOL

Watching America's got talent, judges cut tonight but we have Directv and it went out shortly after the show started at 7 and came back on at about 8:30. GRRRRR I will see if I can get it on my iPad. Since we didn't connect our Directv to the internet, I can't watch any network except NBC on my iPad.

Lenora, my Dad did a lot of bartering for things his services also. We got fresh maple syrup straight out of the trees, unlimited skating, road kill, bison, and a lot more things just because the churches couldn't pay us. So they took care of our needs instead.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Charleen2 wrote: »
    So I am treating like a spider lurking in the corner, if I ignore it, maybe it will just go away and I won't have to deal with it.

I have been known to have such things lurking in my refrigerator. I have zero...ZERO will power when it comes to certain items. So I have developed a plan to deal with them. When I get tempted to eat the whole thing, go wild, rampage through the refrigerator.... I take the item, carry it out to the trash and dump it. Once it is in the trash can there is no way I'm going to save it and eat it. That trash can is disgusting....

Ideally I should take the item and cut it in small portions and freeze them. But no, I don't have that good of self-control. So to the trash it goes.

I've even been known to go to the grocery store and buy something and then realize it was a huge mistake because I'm going to binge on it.... so it goes to one of my daughters or even in the trash right away.

I am Marcelyn. I have a problem buying bad things.
    Contributing to the landfill in Houston

• pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:
    ride hm 2 gym- 9.06min, 16.8amph, 128mhr, 2.5mi = 77c
    SKI MACHINE- 35min, 135mhr, 5-6incl, 20-40resist, 1.78mi = 263c
    ride gym 2 done- 5.26min, 11.6amph, 128mhr, 1mi = 47c
    Ride wk 2 Josephina's- 44.29min, 155mhr. 11.5amph, 8.5mi = 403c
    ride josephina's 2 hm- 10.01min, 153mhr, 9.9amph, 1.6mi = 113c
    total cal 903
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Charleen in Colorado - How to kill a fridge monster: carefully remove entire container from the fridge ensure lid remains tightly closed. Transport it quickly and directly to the sink, open the lid, turn on the water and let the water run over contents for several minutes to thoroughly drown said monster. Flip the switch for the garbage disposal. To avoid any possibility of splashing stand back as far as possible and slide said monster down the drain. DO IT NOW!

Janetr OKC <3. P.S. The first time I threw pizza in the trash I almost cried.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Kelly Coffee Meyer's 30 Minutes to Fitness Cardio Blast. I realized that the Jeannette Jenkins DVD was mostly weights, and I do mostly weights yesterday so I need to give my muscles time to recover. Since we have a Newcomer general meeting tomorrow, the plan is to do an Extreme Cardio DVD.

Chris in MA -have a great time on the Cape. If not making plans for your birthday is PB's only downfall, I would certainly overlook that one. Then again, knowing him, I bet he does have something special planned only he hasn't told you yet. Bet it's something REAL REAL special

Lenora - I love the skins of potatoes and sweet potatoes. I don't care when you go out to eat and they put salt on the skin. How do you bake the sweet potato fries so that they don't become mushy?

bjblow - welcome! The weight is more likely to stay off if you take it off the way you are -- slow and easy

Joyce - the police dept around here has a "drop off" for unused medications. You can also take them to a pharmacy that will dispose of them.

Katie - regarding the DVD's, I downloaded a copy of Gin Miller's Seriously Strength DVD. I thought it was something differentfrom what I had (Gin Miller's Seriously Strong), but it's really the same thing, just a different name. I'd be willing to give that to anyone who wants it. It's a DVD+R. The other ones that I have that I don't use very much are Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies #5 (too "dancy" for me so I've probably only done it twice), Bosu Total Body Blast by Mindy Mylrea, Giams Strong Knees, Yoga for Beginners with Patricia Walden, AM&PM Yoga for Beginners (Element) and Baywatch Beach Body Workout. PM me about any of these. I know how everyone on here exercises, and sometimes you need a DVD for when you can't go outside. That's why I thought of everyone here.

Mary from MN - that can't be Hackensack, NJ??????

I'm sad today. Today is Bryan's anniversary. I asked Vince if he wanted to give Bryan a call for his anniversary. I can understand his feeling, he really doesn't want to. I've sent Bryan emails -- nothing. Vince has sent them -- nothing. Vince sent him one saying that we'd like to send him an anniversary card but we understand from Denise and Jess that he's moving so what address should we send it to -- nothing. For Christmas he went to Spain to see Dianna's family, and his own family didn't even get a d*** card. So I'm not going to call him. But it still makes me sad. Boy, will I work this out by pulling weeds.

Betty - sad to say, I barely remember my mother. My main memory is of how sick she was and that she was a heavy smoker. To this day I don't smoke and I really think it's because in my mind I equated smoking with death. Of course, this was before the American Cancer Institute made that connection.

Lenora - called the fire dept. they don't come out to watch a burn. But, like you suggested, they suggested the cooperative extension office. Now to convince Vince that there is one area that I really want to have made a gentler slope. He wants to drive down that slope with the tractor. I am so very afraid for him. And, let's face it, we're not getting any younger. Should he misjudge how fast he's going.... and if ever I have to use the tractor again (Like I did when he had the cataract surgery) I would be petrified to go down that slope. Absolutely petrified. Maybe Jess can talk him into that. I also would like the leveler (or whatever he's called) like to use the dirt to even out the backyard, it's very uneven from erosion.

Re - how sad that your father didn't remember you. You've handled this so well

Tracie WI - I'm so sorry to hear about your father. If your father does lose his bladder, does he have to have some sort of bag?

Don't know why exactly, but got up early, iced the cake for the gal that I'll give her tomorrow, made the chicken/cheese/vege dish for her, made more chocolate bran muffins for me, microwaved purple potatoes for me to have later in the week, made some mashed potatoes for Vince (mainly because I wanted to use up the bit of butter that I had), then went outside for about 3 hours and worked on those weeds. It's so slow going. Have I mentioned how much I hate sticker bushes? I was so very exhausted when I came in, took a shower to wash the blood off me, then just sat down and put my feet up. Had dinner, think I'll go put my feet up again.

Becca - my absolute weakness is for raw cookie/brownie/cake batter. Once it's baked, I don't care for it. But raw.... So happy you'll get to see your sister

Cheri - so happy for you. I knew something better would come along!

Kim - prayers for Lynn's daughter

DJ - sure hope all is well with Pepper

Marcelyn - for a time there I'd have a craving for things like those Lofthouse cookies. what I'd do is buy them, take 2 or 3 out for myself, and then give the rest to the cashier for their breakroom.

Michele in NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

1056287i3zmwzup2m.gifStats for today:
    20,000 steps
    209 minutes of dog walking
    a lot of laundry, errands, and sheet changing

sleeping-beauty-smiley-emoticon.gif Barbie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    7wpfegi2vn9f.jpg

When I went to the grocery store (by myself because walking around the store would be too much for him), he told me to go to the card section and find a card that said how much he loved me and then tell him about it. I took a picture of the card, instead
    card.jpg 123.1K
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    Cheri, so glad you got your house!!!!! I think just the act of packing up my house would keep me from ever moving. I would have to hire some one to organize me and do the keep/donate/throw away thing and then move. But I guess I would have to have some one else to unpack me and decorate. I don't blame you at all in keeping your yarn out. Enjoy your week off. Where in Indiana would you be coming to visit?
    Joyce, Indiana

I think packing up the house with the hubs this time around has made him think we may not move again. As a matter of fact he has mentioned more than once that if the rental home works out he may just remain in said rental. Otherwise this very exact time next year we will be moving again! My daughter is just like you. That is why when she moved to VA in June I went to Chicago and did all the organizing, packing etc. and then stayed in VA at her new rental apt. to get her entirely unpacked and set up otherwise she would still not be unpacked.

Joyce my parents, a brother and a sister live in Fishers. We lived in Carmel from 2004-2013. What is significant is that my husband has been estranged from my family for like ever. That he is willing to go to their home with me is just mind blowing at this point. It has been years (30+) of discord. I really blame it on him and my mother just not hitting off early on and then his Asperger attitude of black and white in all relationships did it all in. My family is dysfunctional (as many are) and I knew/know how to function within that dynamic however he had no tolerance for such relationships. Something clicked with him upon the death of his father 9 months ago about relationships. He has reconciled with his sister and husband after 7 years of silence. I mean like full on back in each other's lives! He suggested we stop on our way home from Chicago in June and have dinner with my family in IN (which by the way is not on the way home to Ohio). We had a wonderful dinner. Then completed our 5 hour drive home arriving after midnight. He has finally expressed his appreciation of all the support my father provides (financially and otherwise) through the years. Maturity. I could never have hoped that something like this would happen. Truly feeling blessed. His kids don't recognize his behavior as they are so used to him being difficult about relationships. Our son Ben might drive down from Chicago and visit with us and his grandparents while we are there.

Heading off to bed. Tomorrow is another day of....whatever you want!

Cheri
    tired in Fairlawn, oHIo