Plan on eating Subway

Replies

• glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,570 Member
    I remember the days when I'd eat their tuna sandwiches. Then I found out how many calories/points it was and had to nix it. Now, if there's someone in front of me ordering one, I just stare longingly at the sandwich and drool.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    It's a ton of sodium and hormone injected flesh slabbed into a loaf of bread that you'd normally eat over the course of a week.

That isn't and never will be healthy. XD
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    glassyo wrote: »
    I remember the days when I'd eat their tuna sandwiches. Then I found out how many calories/points it was and had to nix it. Now, if there's someone in front of me ordering one, I just stare longingly at the sandwich and drool.

481 calories is too many? That's about what I eat for dinner no matter what I have for dinner.
  • glassyo
    It was 500 and something the last time I looked but that was yeeeeeeears ago.

But, yeah, I like to eat lightly during the day and that 481 calories would take out a chunk of my calories if I ended up breaking my legs or something that day. :)

• kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    you can ask that the bread be hollowed out :) Enjoy!
  • Machka9

But, yeah, I like to eat lightly during the day and that 481 calories would take out a chunk of my calories if I ended up breaking my legs or something that day. :)

Try the interactive thing I linked above ... that way you can make adjustments to suit your taste and calorie requirements. For example that 481 cal, includes cheddar cheese ... removing the cheddar cheese would bring the calorie count down.

(If you're in North America, however, you'd have to find a North American interactive calorie counter things ... that one is for Australian Subways)

My husband and I go out to Subway about every other week for our evening dinner meal ... usually after an evening bicycle ride or a workout at the gym. It's quick and convenient and relatively low cal. :)

• JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    I always order a foot long veggie delight on wheat- no cheese, add avocado, oil n vinegar, salt n pepper.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

Try the interactive thing I linked above ... that way you can make adjustments to suit your taste and calorie requirements. For example that 481 cal, includes cheddar cheese ... removing the cheddar cheese would bring the calorie count down.

(If you're in North America, however, you'd have to find a North American interactive calorie counter things ... that one is for Australian Subways)

My husband and I go out to Subway about every other week for our evening dinner meal ... usually after an evening bicycle ride or a workout at the gym. It's quick and convenient and relatively low cal. :)
    The US tuna sandwich doesn't have any cheese and is 480 on whole wheat, no sauce.

I also like to get the veggy patty sometimes. It's weird that the nutritional information isn't included on the us site.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited July 2016
    https://www.nutritionix.com/subway/nutrition-calculator
    Plug in some stuff and play with it.

ETA: lol at their flatbreads having more kcals than most of the regular breads. Suckers.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I use to love subways. Bought a Fireman's Club one day and it was enough for 3 days. But I could not go back to Subways after that
  • kbmh611
    kbmh611 Posts: 110 Member
    I use to love subways. Bought a Fireman's Club one day and it was enough for 3 days. But I could not go back to Subways after that

What is a Firemans sub? And why can't you go back?
  • Machka9
    Here's the Subway USA page:
    http://www.subway.com/en-us/menunutrition/menu

To access the interactive part, click on the sub you want (like Classic Tuna) then at the bottom of the sidebar on the right, click Calculate Yours.

For reasons I can't explain, a US tuna sub, built as close to the way I like tuna subs here in Australia, is 630 calories!! Compared with an almost identical tuna sub in Australia, which is 480 cal.

One difference is the sauce ... I like Aioli at 60 cal (and I usually ask for about half the usual amount), but the closest to that on the US menu is Ranch at 100 cal.

The cheese appears to be the same.

The bread appears to be the same.

The salad stuff is mostly the same.

The difference must be in the tuna mix itself.
  • Gallowmere1984

To access the interactive part, click on the sub you want (like Classic Tuna) then at the bottom of the sidebar on the right, click Calculate Yours.

For reasons I can't explain, a US tuna sub, built as close to the way I like tuna subs here in Australia, is 630 calories!! Compared with an almost identical tuna sub in Australia, which is 480 cal.

One difference is the sauce ... I like Aioli at 60 cal (and I usually ask for about half the usual amount), but the closest to that on the US menu is Ranch at 100 cal.

That seems like a bit of a stretch, given that the tuna mix alone is listed at 250 for a 6" sub. That's nowhere near that kind of difference, unless you order a tuna sub with no tuna mix. Something's off.
  • Machka9

That seems like a bit of a stretch, given that the tuna mix alone is listed at 250 for a 6" sub. That's nowhere near that kind of difference, unless you order a tuna sub with no tuna mix. Something's off.

Well, there was that 40 cal difference with the sauce.

Also, I don't know how much tuna goes onto a US sub, but there isn't much on an Australian sub. They show a beautiful sub absolutely stuffed full of tuna in the picture, but what you actually get is a couple tiny ice cream scoops spread into a thin layer.

SubTuna.png

• Gallowmere1984
    It's entirely possible that it's down to portion sizing then, paired with the difference in Aioli. Also, your tuna mix could be using some kind of sauce instead of the mayo that goes into ours (it's 84% fat cals in the 250, at 210).
    I'd be willing to bet on it having to be a combination of the two though.
  • Machka9
    It's entirely possible that it's down to portion sizing then, paired with the difference in Aioli. Also, your tuna mix could be using some kind of sauce instead of the mayo that goes into ours (it's 84% fat cals in the 250, at 210).
    I'd be willing to bet on it having to be a combination of the two though.

Yeah, mayo isn't particularly popular here, so maybe they make the tuna mix with something else.

• glassyo
    Well, both the sandwich and the salad (the way I'd like them) are 400 calories. No cheese or any kind of sauce and the bread guts ripped out on the sandwich and no cheese and sweet onion sauce as the dressing for the salad.

Really, if I missed the tuna *that* much, I'd ask for a taste.
  • kronin23
    kronin23 Posts: 59 Member
    oh - love tuna 6"
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    I used to get the Subway club with loads of veggies, toasted with light mayo on italian. Now i tend to get a double chicken chopped salad with the chipotle sauce as dressing. . No bread so i have them add a little more shredded cheese and its HUGE! Two meals easily.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    kbmh611 wrote: »

What is a Firemans sub? And why can't you go back?

Firehouse Subs "Club" sandwich?

Their subs are heavy duty though, usually around 1000 cals.