9/7: 9.0 Miles
    11/7: 5.1 Miles
    13/7: 6.3 Miles
    15/7: 5.1 Miles

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    @skippygirlsmom @TattooedDolphinGirl78
    I'm alright, and I don't know anyone who was hurt in the attack, but the mood at work was really subdued today. Most of us dropped by the local 14th July celebrations at some point, which only makes the news scarier. I guess small village festivals are less likely to be focus of an attack than big towns, but still... It's horrible whenever or wherever something like that happens, but on the one day where friends and families meet to celebrate the motto of "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"! It's as sad and crazy as the Boston marathon bombing. I just can't wrap my mind around how some *kitten* believe whatever political or religious or personal motivation they have justifies mindless killing like that! :'(

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    @MNLittleFinn Congratulations on your new PRs, sounds like a great race.

@TattooedDolphinGirl78 and congratulations on your 5k PR as well. Great time!

@9voice9 Dog encounters like that are scary; when that happens, I avoid the area for a while too. Still, might be worth coming back in a week or so - maybe the dog & his owner were just visiting someone who lives there, then it would be a shame if you don't use that course anymore.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    @skippygirlsmom that looks like a blast. I'm waiting on the weather to see if I'll be running or lyraing tonight. Need good weather to take our rig outside for the friday block party. rain=run. dry=hammock and lyra
  • DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    I'm alright, and I don't know anyone who was hurt in the attack, but the mood at work was really subdued today. Most of us dropped by the local 14th July celebrations at some point, which only makes the news scarier. I guess small village festivals are less likely to be focus of an attack than big towns, but still... It's horrible whenever or wherever something like that happens, but on the one day where friends and families meet to celebrate the motto of "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity"! It's as sad and crazy as the Boston marathon bombing. I just can't wrap my mind around how some *kitten* believe whatever political or religious or personal motivation they have justifies mindless killing like that! :'(

Hugs to you and everyone in France! :(
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @MNLittleFinn and @TattooedDolphinGirl78 great job on your race PRs!!! Excellent job.

@9voice9 I hate loose dog! Or, I hate the owners of loose dogs. Sorry to hear about your encounter.

@ceciliaslater hope your power comes back very soon.

@5512bf That's awesome. Really exciting to have such a great feeling about the run and your chances in October.

I'm taking a rest day today. Long run tomorrow I'm hoping to extend to 80-90 minutes, which will be my longest run. The weather is supposed to be quite a bit cooler so it should be perfect! I'm tempted to do a local 5k on Sunday that ends with a jump in a pool! We'll see how I feel about getting up to be there at 7:30 am though.

Have a great Friday everyone.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @_nikkiwolf_ glad to hear you are okay. Last night Skip said "it scares to me think we are not safe anywhere" No one should feel unsafe everywhere. Breaks my heart. I lived in NJ during the 9/11 attacks so I can relate to what you are saying, it just sucks the life out of you and everything around you. I had been home a short time with Skip (for those who don't know she's adopted from Russia) and all I could think was I brought her here and we are being attacked on our own soil. Her daycare was on lock down innocent little children in lockdown. I can't even wrap my head around such evil.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    edited July 2016
    Date      Miles      MTD
    -------   -----    -------
    July  2     6.5      6.5 
    July  3     5.0     11.5 
    July  4     4.3     15.8 
    July  6     4.3     20.1 
    July  9    13.2     33.3 
    July 11     5.5     38.8
    July 13     7.0     45.8
    July 15     5.3     51.1

exercise.png
  • David6248
    David6248 Posts: 8 Member
    Goal: 85
    So far: 26.5
    Long run goal: 7 miles
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    cljoe7 wrote: »

Hugs to you and everyone in France! :(

My thoughts exactly. I'm glad that you're alright @_nikkiwolf_ This has got to stop... :confounded:
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @katharmonic Thanks! :smile:
    @skippygirlsmom @_nikkiwolf_ In October 2014 here in Ottawa, there was a shooter that stormed the Parliament buildings after he shot and killed a Canadian Armed Forces member at the War Memorial monument. I had just walked past the monument 15 mins before it happened. It was the weirdest feeling and day. We were on stand-down in our work buildings and advised to stay away from the windows. I walked 2.5 hours to my car that day because the downtown core was slowly being cleared from its lockdown.

I just don't understand why people believe that acts like this really will make a difference.
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    This morning's run was a PB for me. I did 5 kms in 37 mins 53 sec. :sweat_smile: I'm really proud of my accomplishments thus far, just makes me want to go even further. :smiley:

Tomorrow will be a nice run outdoors early in the day. I'm not going to aim for anything beyond having fun and listening to the body's cues.

Have a great Friday everyone!! :grin:

exercise.png

1/7: REST
    2/7: 5.44 km + yoga
    3/7: REST
    4/7: 3.00 km + yoga
    5/7: sick
    6/7: 1.00 km (still recovering) + yoga
    7/7: 3.64 km + yoga
    8/7: 4.00 km + yoga
    9/7: 5.00 km + yoga
    10/7: REST
    11/7: 4.19 km + yoga
    12/7: 3.50 km + yoga
    13/7: 4.83 km + yoga
    14/7: 3.87 km + yoga
    15/7: 5.22 km + yoga
    16/7:
    17/7: REST
    18/7:
    19/7:
    20/7:
    21/7:
    22/7:
    23/7:
    24/7: REST
    25/7:
    26/7:
    27/7:
    28/7:
    29/7:
    30/7:
    31/7: REST (possibly, depending on whether I’ve passed my goal or not by then)

Races:

9/7: Tropicolour 5K
    23/7: Zombies Run! App Ultra-Violet 5K
    6/8: Colour Vibe 5K
    20/8: Zombies Run! App Visiting Van Ark 10K (tentative)
    3/9: Zombies Run! App Jeffro Complex 20K (really tentative)
    24/9: Obstacle Course “Coureur des bois”
    20/10-01/11 : Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run (seriously thinking about it still)

Brilliant:smile: well done and enjoy that well deserved pride in your achievement.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @Amandajs232 Thanks! I couldn't run worth anything 4 months ago so I'm really proud. :smiley:
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    If you all are bored tonight and want to read the about the benefits of training in the heat you can read this:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/301594599_The_Effects_of_Heat_Adaptation_on_Physiology_Perception_and_Exercise_Performance_in_the_Heat_A_Meta-Analysis

The guy who posted it on FB is a local physio therapist, he was Skip's PT once upon a time and she is actually going to see him later this month for a complete analysis of her running gait etc. The subject came up on whether training in the heat is to your benefit or not.

Andrew Walker: have a look at this recent paper. It is a meta-analysis of the recent literature in heat adaptation research. It is pretty conclusive that long term heat adaptation (>14 exposures) gives a physiology and performance benefit. That would suggest those Alabama runners who regularly train in the heat will have improved performance. May also be another reason why African runners do so well. With respect to humidity, one of the referenced papers found no difference between humid heat and dry heat.
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    3.8 miles on the treadmill today. It was one of those runs... where I kept telling myself "5 more minutes.... 5 more minutes...." meaning I wanted to keep going. :smile:

Hmm, I have 2 weeks to get in 7.5 miles to meet my goal. I think I'm doing just fine.

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    Half way there. 95 today and I became a river of sweat.

I think I adapted pretty good to the heat. I can run in this heat and still complete my run without getting it too hard and without any water. My heart rate feels it with about 5 beats though but the effort doesn't seem greater

A friend of mine didn't run almost at all in heat, he only trains early in the morning and Wednesday he did 8k at 11 am and he told me it felt like hell and now he is still recovering. He has no adaptation at heat.

Also I heard some Olympic athletes train at 100 degrees and 75% humidity to replicate Rio conditions.

I'm glad I didn't avoid the heat when it got hot. Running at colder temps feels like a breeze now.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    July 1 - 7.7 km - 148/6:09
    July 2 - 5.8 km - 147/6:56
    July 3 - 11.6km - 151/6:22
    July 4 - rest
    July 5 - 7.0 km - 149/6:34
    July 6 - 6.5 km - 147/6:32
    July 7 - 4.4 km - 139/7:00
    July 8 - 5.7 km - ???/7:00
    July 9 - 6.0 km - 130/8:30
    July 10- 7.0 km - 146/5:54
    July 11- rest
    July 12- 9.0 km - 146/6:30
    July 13- 7.0 km - 157/6:00
    July 14- 7.7 km - 152/6:07
    July 15- 9.0 km - 155/6:20

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
    22/07: Bucharest After9Cross 9.5k
    28/08: Fox Trail Half Marathon (10k)
    18/09: Baneasa Trail Run (10k)
    09/10: Bucharest International Marathon (Half Debut)
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Half way through the month and I wake up with a cold today. I was gonna skip my run today but I decided to just do it but take it easy and slower than usual. What I noticed though was at the end of it, I wasn't even breathing very heavy or feeling very tired at all. I'm hoping to eventually run a half marathon, even if it isn't an official race (I can never find any races around my area). So I might try and do a really long slow run just to see how far I can go without stopping at a certain distance.

Anyway, I'm over half of my goal at the halfway point in the month which is good :) It means I might hit my goal even though it's double of what I set last month.

I'm going on vacation in 2 weeks so I might not be able to update here towards the end of the month so hope everyone has a nice July :smile:

July 1 - 0
    July 2 - 5
    July 3 - 0
    July 4 - 4
    July 5 - 3.1
    July 6 - 4
    July 7 - 0
    July 8 - 0
    July 9 - 4
    July 10 - 0
    July 11 - 4
    July 12 - 0
    July 13 - 4
    July 14 - 0
    July 15 - 4

Total miles: 32.1

exercise.png
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    @Josh_lol Have a great vacation and great progress!
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    @9voice9 Dog encounters like that are scary; when that happens, I avoid the area for a while too. Still, might be worth coming back in a week or so - maybe the dog & his owner were just visiting someone who lives there, then it would be a shame if you don't use that course anymore.
    Honestly, it wouldn't be a big loss - it would just knock off about a third-mile off that course, and I can easily make that up in a bajillion other places along the way.