July (2016) Running Challenge

Replies

• TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited July 2016
    I am a new runner and was curious about something. I've been doing some research and I've been seeing a lot of comments saying you should always have a day off between your runs but I am seeing some people who run every single day? If you run every day, you won't get injured? I don't understand why you have to take a day off between run days..

It all depends on the runs for me. I change it up each day. One day will be a longer time, the next short with intervals, the next an easy one at a steady pace, etc. If you run the same way every day, ex: pushing yourself too hard, then you would be more prone to injury. Just listen to your body and running every day shouldn't be an issue. Just make sure to have at least one rest day per week. Your body does need the break. :smiley:
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    I am a new runner and was curious about something. I've been doing some research and I've been seeing a lot of comments saying you should always have a day off between your runs but I am seeing some people who run every single day? If you run every day, you won't get injured? I don't understand why you have to take a day off between run days..

@womanofgod4893

When you start running it's wise to take a day off between runs and to build the miles of each run up slowly. As you build your running base over a long period of time (months) you can begin to add a day. Continuing that process over years at a time and understanding some fundamental running principles it's perfectly safe to run every day, sometimes 2 times a day. I currently run 6 days a week, and occasionally do a short run on my day off when I do strength training to warm up.
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    In addition to what @TattooedDolphinGirl78 and @5512bf said, it's useful to remember that as a new runner, your body is adjusting to this new activity. The rest day allows your muscles to recuperate and "absorb" this new data that you're feeding them. As your body becomes accustomed to this, the need to rest and absorb will change, and you can do your rest days less frequently, but it's always a good idea. You'll see some folks here (and other places) talking about "streaking" - running EVERY day for a prolonged period of time (one of the more common I've seen is daily between Thanksgiving and New Years - hoping to stave off the excess poundage that time of year tends to yield). But even then, it's rare to see someone who does it day after day without any breaks.

Welcome to our little family!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    @TattooedDolphinGirl78 Yes you will conquer those hills. Find a small hill and do some repeats on it. Green with envy for you and anyone else who has lots of race events around them. We only have 1 official event in town and then its a 2 hr drive to the nearest community where there is usually 1 event per month except in July/August.
    @skippygirlsmom Awesome Cartoon.
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Having a really down week and all the troubles in this sad world are not helping. I did manage to get out finally at lunch time today, and it was well over 90 degrees. So I ran slow, tried to stay in the shade as much as possible, and did a very modest 2.25 miles. I aim to go a little longer tomorrow morning if I can stand the temps. I'm going to read your article, @skippygirlsmom ...but I can tell you there is definitely a difference in humid and dry heat when it comes to the misery index, if not performance!

exercise.png

• DayLi77
    DayLi77 Posts: 655 Member
    edited July 2016
    7/2....2.01 miles walk/run on treadmill
    7/4....2.7 miles walk/run in park
    7/6....2.5 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/9....2.7 miles walk/ penguin shuffle run in park
    7/11..2.68 miles walk/ run on Harvard's football field
    7/13..3 miles walk/ run on treadmill
    7/15..1.51 miles run/ walk (mostly running :smile: ) on treadmill

I meant to do more miles today but ran out of time - didn't realize the gym closes early on Fridays. But I got plenty of exercise commuting on my bike to work & taking Pandora the puppy for a bike ride. I didn't get run over or "doored" on the commute, so that's a win. Chicago street traffic is a bit hairy for biking sometimes.

Goal: 35 + 2 for Black Toe Month
    17.10 done, 19.9 to go

Possible upcoming races (!):
    8/14: Humboldt Park 5K
    10/16: Stride Against Violence 5K

@5BeautifulDays sorry you're feeling down this week :(

@womanofgod4893 Another newbie! Yay! Welcome :smile: I know you already got some great answers to your question about running every day, but I'll add myself as an example (study in contrast??) I'm a new/ just-getting-back-into-it runner with bad knees. I can't run every day or my knees get too sore. Having at least one rest day in between definitely helps my knees recover. Also, I've been alternating running outside with running on the treadmill and that also seems to help. My progress is frustratingly slow, but after having tried & failed to push a little more I've learned my lesson! Just gotta listen to my body, add miles (or bits of miles) slowly, and be patient. But my "rest" days aren't usually no exercise days. I try to do a lot of other physical activities to improve my general fitness like biking, swimming, and walking. I've noticed that doing a bit of weight training on my non-run days seems to be very helpful with running too.

@MobyCarp reading about your progress as a runner is very inspiring :smile:
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Spending much more time on the bike than in my running shoes as of late, and most of those running miles have been indoors. I was pretty wiped from Wednesday's fast run in the heat, so I just did 2 miles on the treadmill last night, and another 5 miles today on the dreadmill. On the plus side, I'm done with about 2/3 of my biking goal (431/621 miles), and I've kept up with my swimming (8000m/week), so I'll be able to focus on running when back up north next week.

7/2 - 9 miles
    7/4 - 1 mile
    7/5 - 7 miles
    7/6 - 5 miles
    7/7 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/8 - 3 miles
    7/9 - 5 miles
    7/10 - 11.5 miles
    7/12 - 1 mile (lift warmup)
    7/13 - 8 miles
    7/14 - 2 miles
    7/15 - 5 miles

Total: 58.5 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 121.5 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    July goal.....run

7/1 snorkel 4 hours
    7/2 7.53
    7/3 3.23
    7/4 3.29
    7/5 rest
    7/6 4.39
    7/7 3.25
    7/8 7.24
    7/9 celebrated our 40th anniversary!
    7/10 3.85
    7/11 tapering I guess...
    7/12 4.15

Total 36.93

@ceciliaslater glad to hear the power is back on....have a good sleep!

Upcoming races:
    SHEPower Virtual Half: July 18
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Virtual runs--making the band
    ......Guitar Solo 6/28 3.85
    ......Drum Solo in August
    ......Lead Singer in September
    Las Vegas RocknRoll Half 11/13/16

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    I'm 6 pages & 180 posts behind! :open_mouth:

Quick update before I try to catch up:

2 July – 5 km parkrun alongside my niece
    3 July – 10 km
    5 July – 10 km
    7 July – 10 km
    8 July – 5.6 km & Body Balance
    9 July – 13.6 km & 10 km PB
    11 July – 10 km
    15 July – 3.7 km
    16 July – 5.1 km parkrun

July Goal: 150 km (93 miles)
    Total: 72.7 km

Upcoming:
    September 18 – Beat the Blerch Virtual Half Marathon 21.1 km
    October 23 – The Bloody Long Walk/Run 35 km
    November 6 – Vitality 10 km

My back is feeling a lot better. Just a bit sore when I sit up straight at a desk for more than a couple of hours. Which is never good for you anyway.

After resting Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, I managed a short slow run on Friday and a relaxed parkrun this morning. Woo hoo!
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    7/15: 9 miles (6 mile jog, 3 mile high incline treadmill)

Monthly total: 101.75/140 miles

Im adding another 40 miles to my goal since i just reached it!
  • Amandajs232
    Amandajs232 Posts: 194 Member
    July
    2Jul - 8k
    3Jul - 6k
    5Jul - 6k
    7Jul - 7k
    9Jul - 10k
    10Jul - 8k
    12Jul - 5k
    14Jul - 6k
    16Jul - 10k

67.7/100

Just over 10k this morning at a pretty steady pace. As I have been trying to increase my weekend distances I have been doing different routes which has been fun. My mantra today as I could feel my legs getting heavier an my head dropping?

"Keep your head up: look like a runner not like you heard there were free samples at the cake shop" :wink:

exercise.png
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2016
    @womanofgod4893 And then there are people that run twice a day, 6 days a week. And in their day off they just run once

I know personally some people into their 60s and beyond that are are streakers. One didn't take a day off in 20 years or so. He runs at least 10 min (about 2km) if he can't do more to not lose his streak.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    I'm so behind on this thread, it's been a crazy busy week. I have run 3 times though, so I'm not too far behind on my goal (although I am, of course, behind - when am I not?!) My foot is still playing up though after my moronic incident, but I put a support on it today and it felt completely fine, so that was £12 well spent :) I also managed to run more than 3 miles in horrible humidity without feeling dizzy or passing out for the first time this summer, so I'm either finally acclimatising or I've finally sorted my hydration. Clearly even running 3 miles without sipping water is not something my body can handle, but at least I know that now.

I'm going to try and catch up on posts later when I'm sat chilling in the park today. The sun seems to finally be arriving here in the UK!

2nd July - 6.04 miles
    5th July - 10.05 miles
    7th July - 3.11 miles
    8th-10th July - swollen foot
    11th July - 4.02 miles
    13th July - 3.12 miles
    16th July - 6.05 miles

MTD - 32.39/80 miles

Upcoming races:
    18th Sept - Run Reigate Half Marathon
    2nd Oct - Tonbridge Half Marathon
    30th Oct - River Thames Half Marathon
    9th April 2017 - Brighton Marathon
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    After 35 hours, I'm happy to announce that it power has been restored! Now for a restful sleep.

Yay!!!!
  • 9voice9
    FINALLY! Got a 10+ mile run in!
    01-Jul: 3.38 miles
    02-Jul: 6.45 miles
    03-Jul: <Life Day>
    04-Jul: 6.36 miles
    05-Jul: 7.14 miles
    06-Jul: 5.31 miles
    07-Jul: 4.75 miles
    08-Jul: 5.49 miles
    09-Jul: 5.75 miles
    10-Jul: <Life Day>
    11-Jul: 5.78 miles
    12-Jul: 6.36 miles
    13-Jul: 3.54 miles
    14-Jul: 6.37 miles
    15-Jul: 6.20 miles
    16-Jul: 10.57 miles
    17-Jul: <Life Day>
    18-Jul:
    19-Jul:
    20-Jul:
    21-Jul:
    22-Jul:
    23-Jul:
    24-Jul: <Life Day>
    25-Jul:
    26-Jul:
    27-Jul:
    28-Jul:
    29-Jul:
    30-Jul:
    31-Jul: <Life Day>

exercise.png

This next week is gonna be a long one - it's Vacation Bible School at church, in the evenings. So put in a full day at work, and then go be at 110% energy for a few hours, singing and dancing (NO - don't picture the fat old man jumping and dancing and such with 4 rooms-ful of 1st thru 5th graders! it's NOT a pretty picture, and you don't want it in your head!!). Not sure I'm gonna be able to put in 38+ miles next week....

Upcoming Races:
    13-Aug: Apple-a-Day 5K, Macon
    27-Aug: John 316 Cancer Awareness 5K, Lizella
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    01-Oct: Terry's Run 5K, Eastman
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
    05-Nov: Ridge Run 5K, Macon
    12-Nov: Pecan Orchard 10K, Fort Valley
  • 9voice9
    New PR!!!!! Went for my run this morning and I accomplished 5K in 35 mins 53 sec!!! 5.64km in 41 mins 45 sec!!! :sweat_smile:

I always seem to do better outdoors than on the treadmill. :smile:

NICE! PR is always good. I always feel like the dreadmill is SO MUCH harder than roadwork. I feel tireder than I do with the same distance on either. <that sentence doesn't quite work, but I get the feeling y'all understand it anyway.> But sometimes the weather in middle Georgia just doesn't cooperate with roadwork.