Dulcolax

Options
I've been taking these sporadically for the past few weeks to try and ease the constipation I suffer with IBS but i take double the recommended dosage as two is not enough to get me going. I've been reading side effects of dulcolax and they do coincide with what I'm going through namely dizziness confusion and weakness. Should I stop taking them and just be constipated instead?

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Talk to you doctor when you discuss the kidney lab results with her.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    How much water, fat and fiber do you ingest daily? These three are huge in helping to keep us regular.

The dizziness and weakness sounds very similar to dehydration. I would try an electrolyte drink to see if that alleviates the symptoms and stop the ducolax. Miralax is much gentler as it is an ozmotic laxative (encourages more water to enter the bowel to soften stool) instead of the dulcolax which is more of a stimulant. I take a magnesium pill every 2 days to help me out with that part of IBS. However, you should see a doctor if you haven't already, though.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
  • callumwalker1995
    callumwalker1995 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    How much water, fat and fiber do you ingest daily? These three are huge in helping to keep us regular.

The dizziness and weakness sounds very similar to dehydration. I would try an electrolyte drink to see if that alleviates the symptoms and stop the ducolax. Miralax is much gentler as it is an ozmotic laxative (encourages more water to enter the bowel to soften stool) instead of the dulcolax which is more of a stimulant. I take a magnesium pill every 2 days to help me out with that part of IBS. However, you should see a doctor if you haven't already, though.

I drink about 5-6 litres of water, about 85g of fat and 50g of fibre per day. I drank an ekecrokyte drink earlier and it did 'perk' me up so I might just continue with that and stop the dulcolax but I hate being constipated
  • elphie754
    Options
    Taking numerous supplements can also lead to constipation, especially if (according to you) you already have IBS.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Try dulcoease instead- its a softener. I have ibs too and these are my first go to -only using dulcolax if have to. Drink plenty of water with them.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Taking numerous supplements can also lead to constipation, especially if (according to you) you already have IBS.

According to my doctor actually thank you
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Try dulcoease instead- its a softener. I have ibs too and these are my first go to -only using dulcolax if have to. Drink plenty of water with them.

Yeah dulcolax are strong but I've got used to them so I upped the dosage which can only be bad. I think I might try the miralaxas suggested earlier
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Did your doctor warn you that a high protein diet can make IBS constipation worse?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Buy some fiber one cereal. A simple 1/2 a cup has only 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber. I can eat it in one mouthful. No sugar. Chia seeds are also high in fiber.
    Stool softeners work by robbing your body of water to soften stool. Just say no to that.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Buy some fiber one cereal. A simple 1/2 a cup has only 60 calories and 14 grams of fiber. I can eat it in one mouthful. No sugar. Chia seeds are also high in fiber.
    Stool softeners work by robbing your body of water to soften stool. Just say no to that.

Fibre is a killer for me. It constipates me greatly. I used to eat allbran all the time but it killed my stomach
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Did your doctor warn you that a high protein diet can make IBS constipation worse?

Yes and I've cut down quite drastically
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Yes and I've cut down quite drastically

210 grams is still more than you really need. 1 gram per pound of lean mass is more than adequate. .8 grams per pound of lean mass is adequate.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Nevermind. I can see from your other threads and this one, you really just want people to agree with what you are doing, so good luck.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You're making a series of stupid choices regarding your health. If you don't care, why should anyone else? You've already had this info (and other info) given to you. If you don't want to handle this stuff with your doctor, it's your body and your life. If you want to abuse it, that's up to you.
  • callumwalker1995
    Options
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    You're making a series of stupid choices regarding your health. If you don't care, why should anyone else? You've already had this info (and other info) given to you. If you don't want to handle this stuff with your doctor, it's your body and your life. If you want to abuse it, that's up to you.

Stupid health choices? Like what? Plenty of fitness people eat more than 200g of protein, many drinkmore than 5 litresof water a day and many take laxatives
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have ibs.....My doctor told me NOT to take any laxative or anti diarrhoea pills. It makes things worse....edit to adf and stop asking random internet peeps to agree with you...go see your doctor.
  • callumwalker1995
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I have ibs.....My doctor told me NOT to take any laxative or anti diarrhoea pills. It makes things worse....edit to adf and stop asking random internet peeps to agree with you...go see your doctor.

What do you do ifyou can't go to the toilet though?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Be careful with laxative. It is very easy to become dependent on them.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

What do you do ifyou can't go to the toilet though?

Again a question for your doctor not a bunch of strangers on the internet.