Healthy things to put on baked potatoes? (vegan)

Options

Replies

• Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    If you chop up onion, peppers or any water thing and let it sit for a bit, covered, especially if you add a little salt, you'll get some flavorful liquid that would help with the dryness of the potato. I usually let it sit for a bit on low, then heat it up really high and then turn it to low without opening the lid and let it sit for while. You could even add veggie stock right before you add it.

I like garlic on my potato but I like garlic on everything.
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Sour cream, butter and chives. Yes, "healthy" can happen with these since food consumption is only a small part of overall health.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
    Sour cream and butter do not fit the Vegan requirement.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    The classic butter and sour cream is hands down my favorite.

Ill occasionally also do broccoli or cauliflower and cheese or ranch.

Not sure you understand the concept of veganism, neither of your recommendations fit the bill.

You can never go wrong with baked beans, or any kind of beans for that matter. Throw together a nice bean salad with whatever fruits and veg you fancy.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    poblano peppers, sweet red bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil, salt & pepper to taste
  • BigTandthesquatters
    BigTandthesquatters Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Onions, garlic and mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil and a little miso.
    Nutritional yeast cheese sauce.
    The link says use butter OR vegetable oil I used coconut oil when I did it.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/how-to-make/nutritional-yeast-cheese-sauce/
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    I like broccoli and butter flavored sprinkles
  • graceyscholl
    graceyscholl Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Not sure you understand the concept of veganism, neither of your recommendations fit the bill.

You can never go wrong with baked beans, or any kind of beans for that matter. Throw together a nice bean salad with whatever fruits and veg you fancy.

Butter and sour cream ARE available to vegans! I myself am a vegan and use alternatives such as non-dairy butter every day. In every grocery store, and not any more expensive than real butter. It's also good to have with asparagus, spinach, and lots of herbs. Good luck!
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Daiya cream cheese or tahini lemon sauce. :3
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I like sun dried tomatoes, black olives, garlic flavored olive oil, salt, pepper, and feta. Don't know if there is a vegan alternative to feta....maybe hummus could work, though?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    sauteed vegetables, possibly including mushrooms.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Those stuffed potatoes look delicious!

Ratatouille :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    nutritional yeast, earth balance, tofutti sour supreme, onions, gravy,bbq sauce, salsa & daiya ,maple baked beans
  • caromp73
    caromp73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    1. Salsa
    2. Cottage cheese and garlic salt
    3. Greek yogurt
    4. Grilled vegetables
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options

Butter and sour cream ARE available to vegans! I myself am a vegan and use alternatives such as non-dairy butter every day. In every grocery store, and not any more expensive than real butter. It's also good to have with asparagus, spinach, and lots of herbs. Good luck!

Haha, I'm aware of that. However, there was no mention of non-dairy alternatives simply "classic butter and sour cheese" that classic combo is not vegan friendly I'm afraid but just so that you are aware, I was being sarcastic..

• drabbits2
    drabbits2 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    My favorite is a sweet potato with black beans, avocado and salsa on top.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Where I live, I can purchase vegan butter, sour cream, cheese, and ranch dressing. I have also made vegan versions of all four. When veganism is assumed, I will often refer to these items without adding "vegan" beforehand.
  • iammeinnh
    iammeinnh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Sautee some green peppers, mushrooms and onions and garlic. Add sea salt and pepper (generous on the pepper). If you are feeling really ambitious you can put some almonds, walnuts and milled flax seed in a blender with some seasonings (taco spices, bbq spices, even poultry seasoning) add a little coconut oil to make it kinda stick together. And, scoop out the potatoes, add the potato to the add ins then refill the skin and put it under the broiler for a few minutes.
  • B4Rachael
    B4Rachael Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Avocado!

also what i LOVE to do is cut up potatoes, yams, red onion, brussel sprouts & give them a light coating of olive oil & season with salt & pepper with thyme or basil & bake them together in the oven (keep an eye on your brussel sprouts when they are done everything else should be too) it fills you up and is super delicious
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I take a baked potato and dip it in hot sauce. I don't even cut it. Makes a tasty snack.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I made oil free spiced potato wedges yesterday. It's easy and you don't even need sauce ifyou don't want.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Black beans, corn and salsa mixed together. Or refried beans instead of black beans.

This is one of my favorites - not vegan so I also add a bit of cheese or sour cream