Options

Replies

• xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    What is unhealthy about milk?

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.
  • xMiracat
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I'm focusing on getting enough protein, and soy milk is higher in protein compared to many of the other non-dairy milks. That's the biggest reason why I prefer soy over other options. However, there are a lot of options, and you might prefer the taste of one of the others.

My favorite soy milk depends on what I'm using it for. I usually get unsweetened, because it's versatile; I can throw it in savory things as well as sweet. I'm not particularly stuck on any one brand. Silk makes a few "light" soy milk options if you're looking for something with fewer calories and less fat. Shelf stable cartons are nice to have around in case you run out or the electricity goes out, but I don't think they're significantly better or worse nutrition-wise than refrigerated options.

If you're looking at coconut milk, I think of the one in the can (that you usually find in the Asian section of the store) as meant for cooking. Maybe that's just me, though. It's generally much thicker (and higher in calories/fat) than coconut milk in a carton that's meant for drinking on its own.

Last time I checked, Silk, So Delicious, and Westsoy had coupons available on their websites, which might make it more affordable to try a few. Other brands probably offer coupons too. If you have a Trader Joe's, they have a variety of shelf-stable plant milks that are probably cheaper than many other brands.

This is really helpful! Thank you!!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.

Most of us lose weight by eating fewer calories than we need to maintain our weight. I don't eat "clean"; I eat the same foods as I have also eaten, but in smaller portions.
  • xMiracat
    Options

Most of us lose weight by eating fewer calories than we need to maintain our weight. I don't eat "clean"; I eat the same foods as I have also eaten, but in smaller portions.

but i thought a calories isnt just a calorie? like if you only eat 200 calories in lets say french fries and 200 calories in veggies, you will lose weight witht he veggies cause the calories in the fries are bad and make you gain weight
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

but i thought a calories isnt just a calorie? like if you only eat 200 calories in lets say french fries and 200 calories in veggies, you will lose weight witht he veggies cause the calories in the fries are bad and make you gain weight

No that's not true
  • geneticsteacher
    Options
    No, 200 calories of anything = 200 calories of anything, as far as weight loss goes. I do not label any foods as bad. The difference between fries and vegetables is a difference in nutrition - more fat in the fries, more fiber in the vegetables, etc. If either fits into your calorie allowance, either is fine, depending on your nutritional goals. If I were low in fat for the day and had already met my fiber/vitamin/whatever allowance, I say eat the fries.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    No, 200 calories of anything = 200 calories of anything, as far as weight loss goes. I do not label any foods as bad. The difference between fries and vegetables is a difference in nutrition - more fat in the fries, more fiber in the vegetables, etc. If either fits into your calorie allowance, either is fine, depending on your nutritional goals. If I were low in fat for the day and had already met my fiber/vitamin/whatever allowance, I say eat the fries.

Please tell me you really are a teacher and being this logical in class.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

In that case, stay far away from any non-dairy "milk" product.

This. ....you want to swap out milk for something that is processed within an inch of its life.....the mind boggles.
  • geneticsteacher
    Options

Haha! Yes, I really am a teacher - genetics, chemistry, clinical chemistry, and nutrition in an RN to BSN program.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Haha! Yes, I really am a teacher - genetics, chemistry, clinical chemistry, and nutrition in an RN to BSN program.

Somehow I knew you weren't teaching high school!
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    cashew milk <3
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    If you want milk. Go with FairLife, it is ultra filtered (and lactose free) but expensive. If you don't want animal products, soy and rice milk are fine (better if you get unsweetened). There is no definition for "clean eating" but most people think it is eating as whole as food (without additives, ect) as possible.

You have to ask yourself what clean eating is for you.

That being said I lost 100 lbs just counting calories. There where days where I would eat a half cup of skittles, but still lost weight because I built it into my calories count. I don't suggest this, but it is possible. You will feel better, fuller and be healthier if you do clean eating.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options

I eat at a calorie deficit. That means I measure all solid foods (including grated and ground) using a digital kitchen scale measuring in grams, and liquids with volume measures (in my case using milliliters). I make sure the database numbers match up as well since there are entries are a regional and would not match with the numbers of the same food in my area. Doing this I have lost about 10Kg (22 pounds) simply reducing how much I eat. I still go to McDonalds, I just don't have fries since they have too many calories and go with diet soda.

If one counts calories eaten carefully, the type of food one eats doesn't matter in terms of losing weight. Where is may help or hurt is in terms of feeling full longer or shorter, or in terms of satisfaction with the food a person eats. I tend to eat slightly more protein and fat because they keep me full longer where I can eat a huge amount of veggies and be full and an hour later I can eat just as much of those veggies again. That is a personal preference thing to help me stick with my calorie goal, but the weight loss is from sticking to my calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    If you want milk. Go with FairLife, it is ultra filtered (and lactose free) but expensive. If you don't want animal products, soy and rice milk are fine (better if you get unsweetened). There is no definition for "clean eating" but most people think it is eating as whole as food (without additives, ect) as possible.

Typically boxed soy milk or rice milk wouldn't be "clean" and neither would Fairlife milk. All of those are quite processed. Not that "clean eating" really means anything.

I don't drink milk, but I'd personally choose regular old milk (I grew up on 2%, but I like whole and skim also) over Fairlife. https://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysanders/fairlife-milk-taste-test?utm_term=.dj1qEOe2r#.sqdXQYlVa

I have nothing against lactose personally, however.
    You will feel better, fuller and be healthier if you do clean eating.

Unlikely. I find a lot of processed foods (like dairy, including plain greek yogurt and cottage cheese, smoked salmon, and dried pasta, to name just a few) are either helpful in meeting goals like protein or form an easy and quick base for a healthy meal with lots of vegetables and lean protein. Not sure why this would make me less healthy. For that matter, not sure why including a half cup of ice cream in an overall nutrient-dense, balanced day would make me less healthy. It (for me) makes my diet more enjoyable, and so one I'd be more likely to stick to consistently. I also don't see why something like including gels if doing endurance sports would make one less healthy. And as you note, you can eat a more varied diet like this and lose weight quite easily, as well as meeting nutrient goals.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    "cee134 wrote: »
    You will feel better, fuller and be healthier if you do clean eating.

I don't. For that matter, when I tried 'clean" eating I was always dissatisfied. I constantly felt deprived. When I finally hit the wall (after losing 75 pounds or so, I completely binged on all the stuff I loved and put most of that weight back on. Now I eat what love, but in smaller amounts, and the weight comes off just fine. Not only that, I feel plenty full. Fuller is a very personal thing. As to healthier, that seems to have more to do, at least with otherwise healthy people, with consuming an appropriate number of calories. Things like the twinkie diet show that health markers, even in one's blood work, improve even eating mainly twinkies. Long term health would be from sufficient vitamins and minerals, and frankly, those are fairly easy to get with a somewhat varied diet.
  • Zipp237
    Zipp237 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Buy non-fat milk. Most stores have milk sold with different colored boxes or caps, so once you know your preferred color, you're good to go every time.

Milk isn't a health requirement, though. You could cut it from your diet and be entirely healthy if you wanted to.
  • xMiracat
    Options

oh i see so it only matters if you burn more then you eat? right?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I drink soymilk on the rare occasion I have cereal. Otherwise I don't bother.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

It's easy to lose weight not eating clean. You just starve yourself or eat low calorie crap.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

oh i see so it only matters if you burn more then you eat? right?

EXACTLY THIS....but try and get a balanced diet moat of the time.