Hurtful comments towards my appearance.

Options

Replies

• jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    61reibtuev50.jpg

I took this photo July 13th 2016.

Today a couple of co workers told me that I looked Sick and Gaunt.
    I had to google what that word meant as i had never heard it before.
    They told me that my cheeks were thin and my eyes were sunken in and that i didn't look healthy.

I am 5 foot 3, 139.2 pounds and at my goal weight.
    I cried after i was told this.. Losing 113 pounds, i feel very self conscious still about my body, as far as loose skin goes, etc, but i didn't think i looked that bad?

Please be honest, do i look ill?

You look amazing! They can stuff it.

You look healthy. Your eyes do not have a sunken appearance or dark circles. Your skin is a healthy pink and does not look pale/jaundiced. Your face is filled out, as are your arms. No prominent bones.

People can be mean and say things out of false concern, in an effort to make themselves feel better. You look amazing and have accomplished so much! Great work!
  • StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You look beautiful!!!! You should be extremely proud of yourself! Unless you go through it, you don't know how hard this journey really is! Screw those people, they are *kitten*!!!!! YOUR GORGEOUS!!
  • StuDuza
    StuDuza Posts: 39 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    OMG, it turned in KITTEN holes! LMAO I think you can tell what I say tho..LMAO
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    You look fine to me. If your coworkers knew you back when you were bigger they might have been used to that, so anything smaller/different might appear as "gaunt" by comparison to them.
    I never understood why people feel like it's ok to comment on someone's physical appearance without being asked to do so by that person.

• kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    You look incredible. I'm 5'2" and at 140.8, and have lost 108, so our numbers are similar (except I'm WAY older). The before and after pictures are great. You should be really proud.

Coworkers suck, mine included. It is hard, but I've learned to ignore it. Twice I was told to stop, I was looking "sickly" - one of those was when I was 199 lbs! Really? People can't handle change, especially if it makes them feel insecure about themselves. One of the coworkers comes out with remarks that make me think she thinks I'm doing this to make her look bad. Uh, no. She means nothing. The weight loss is for me, and me alone.

Be proud, you did a fantastic job and it's so much better to do it at your age, than at mine. You'll get so much more out of it.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    You look fabulous- we are just so proud of all you had to do to make this HUGE accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself as well! Keep it up sista- you are "burning it up"- Yay You!!!
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    You look great. I agree tho, the eyeliner doesn't suit
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    MaryPoole1 wrote: »
    First off, don't take other people's opinions too much to heart. ESPECIALLY if their comments are mean spirited or if these people are not super close to you. Second, I think you're a cutie. You look a little like my daughter actually. She is very small and skinny and has the same face shape. About your appearance- in this photo, you DO look a little pale or washed out to me. I think part of that may be due to your makeup. I think your liner is a too heavy and dark and your lips or cheeks could use a touch of subtle color- think lip balm with a little bit of a tint. it's also possible you may have some extra skin going on after the weight loss, and even if you're a healthy weight it could be making you look "wasted away". You do almost look hungry in this picture, but I think mostly you just look unsure of yourself. You don't need other people's approval, just your own. :) Congratulations on the weight loss and make sure you continue to get a well rounded diet that includes healthy fats- such as avocados, olives/olive oil, nuts, etc.

So.....you made a brand new MFP account just to drop this little turd and run? Interesting.

It seems fitting lately.

@Krisstastic_ Several points have been made about motivation for these comments. If these people have watched your progress, it is possible that they are just not used to seeing how you look now. Don't let their hurtful comments ruin your success. It takes a lot of dedication to make the progress you have.

You look young, some of that skin you are worried about may bounce back yet, so don't completely count that out as a possibility. If it doesn't you still look amazing. You should be so proud of yourself.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You look cute as a button, eyeliner and all. Don't let the *kittens* get you down.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Heck no! You look good! You keep on doing you! :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    You look great!! If they have the audacity to say something again look them right in the eye and say "what an unkind thing to say." I bet they will look away first.

I actually second this. I am only just beginning to realize the power of calling out someone's rudeness, and forcing them to maintain eye contact until they break. Psychologically it's very uncomfortable to the other person, and they will avoid it (and their nasty comments) in the future.
  • bbubb1
    bbubb1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! Don't listen to unkind people, they are just jealous!! Congratulations on a job well done!!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    If they knew you before you lost weight then realize they still have a mental picture of you with the weight. When what you look like now and what you looked like in their head conflict they will see you, looking perfectly healthy, as being unhealthy. In time they will get used to it. In the mean time, ignore them, you look amazing.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    What a couple of jealous B's! You look quite lovely and the before/after photos show your hard work. You are at a healthy weight for your height. Also, as another poster said - LOVE <3 Love your tattoo! Just consider those stupid comments as one more pin in your heart that will just make you stronger!

Mean people suck.