Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    @cresswellmb Welcome! You're in good company here!
    @pinkstarberry I've noticed I have more trouble with losing weight if I am sleep deprived. Well, that and trouble with just about everything else, too. LOL
    @wadwrich Isn't that awesome? I love being able to "shop" in my closet and wear my old smaller stuff that looks nice.

Monday - Check In (how are you doing? Had any successes or struggles this week-end?)

This weekend was not my best. I've been staying on target with my calorie budget and making sure to exercise when I am able, and I haven't put any weight back on... but I had two different panic attacks that really set me back. I've been job hunting and trying to start a small business, and well, a client tried to scam me. I got my money and merch returned. That scam attempt triggered the second panic attack. I feel... somehow defective.
  • nanknits
    nanknits Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good morning, Everyone!

My weekend was not so good. I had a slice of pizza on Friday night and attended a beer festival on Saturday. Certainly both were okay to do (within calorie counts both days) but I felt so HORRIBLE afterwards. I think the pizza was worse than the beer, but the beer certainly added to it. Never again! I did keep up with my exercise despite not feeling up to it. I walked at a much slower pace than usual, but that is far better than not moving at all! On Sunday, I splurged on some new wardrobe pieces. I know I could have done with what is in my closet a bit longer, I am just so tired of my clothes not fitting well and always looking sloppy.

Off to hit the market--hoping to find some good salmon for dinner tonight. =)
  • nanknits
    Options
    @cresswellmb - Welcome! I'm new here too, hoping to find support for the 100+ pounds I still need to lose. I've already lost 85 (374 to 288) and feel like I have a good system in place for myself, but I'm lacking the support of people who either need to lose, or have lost, 100+ Lbs.
  • runto107
    runto107 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Monday check in. Lost a couple pounds this weekend. Struggling getting my personal goal for water in. Been craving salts too, not a good mix. I'm doing fairly well. Got into a size 16 this weekend would love to be a 14 by October for my birthday.

My son started football and we have been go go go running everywhere making it very hard for me to hit my target cals. Appetite has been low.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Just got back from a 9 day road trip across the west coast. It was kind of a nightmare lol. I'm very happy to be home. I feel like I didn't eat too badly, but I'm too scared to check lol
  • taburbey
    taburbey Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to have found this thread. I love reading about people's success and things that have/haven't worked for them. I have 100lbs to lose and just came back to MFP after a yr. I did not utilize the social community the last time I tried this, so I plan to take full advantage of all the fabulous information on here.

One area I am struggling with is meal time with my family. I have 4 kids ages 7-18 and a husband who tries his best, but thinks fish stix and fries are a healthy meal because how can you go wrong with "fish" and potatoes which is a vegetable. When I am planning meals and shopping I do fairly well, but I dont feel I get the buy in from my kids and hubby as much. Any tips to share?
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    taburbey wrote: »
    I'm happy to have found this thread. I love reading about people's success and things that have/haven't worked for them. I have 100lbs to lose and just came back to MFP after a yr. I did not utilize the social community the last time I tried this, so I plan to take full advantage of all the fabulous information on here.

One area I am struggling with is meal time with my family. I have 4 kids ages 7-18 and a husband who tries his best, but thinks fish stix and fries are a healthy meal because how can you go wrong with "fish" and potatoes which is a vegetable. When I am planning meals and shopping I do fairly well, but I dont feel I get the buy in from my kids and hubby as much. Any tips to share?

Your predicament and question reached out to me when I read what you wrote.
    Actually, fish stix and fries are not a horrible foods. You just need to eat a smaller portion and round it out with foods you consider healthier. You can also make those fish stix and fries homemade so you can avoid additives and the food would be 'clean'.

Are you a mom who also holds down an outside-the-home job? If so, it is harder to provide healthy, tasty, and filling food for your crowd because you probably need to rely a lot on prepared foods like those frozen fish stix and fries. However, if your work is as CEO of the homestead, then you might be able to fit time into your schedule to include the kids into cooking projects. Kids love to eat what they helped prepare. It could be a game as well as a learning experience for them.

In the end ... it really isn't one food is good and another is bad ... it's some food is more nutrient rich and satisfying than others, and where weight comes in it is that to stay stable, you cannot take in more than you use up ... you know, you've heard or read it before (especially if you read the threads on the community pages :) ) ... Calories in = Calories out. To lose weight you need less in than out.

Good luck, and welcome back to MFP. Make small changes, one at a time, and when that one change takes hold, another another small change ... it's like climbing the stairs or ladder ... one step at a time!
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @suznhenz Your TerraTrike intrigues me. I'd live to get back to bike riding without the aches & pains! As I live in a somewhat hilly rural area with little to no shoulders along the road, my riding option would be the local Rail Trail with a crushed-gravel surface. Any experience on that type of surface? And how would the Trike be transported by car - do you have to lift the whole thing on a specialized roof rack, rear-mounted bike carrier, or does it have quick-release tires to enable it to fit in a trunk or hatchback?
  • nanknits
    Options
    @taburbey - I second what @Nikion901 said. Small changes, a little at a time, add up to a larger life style change. I used to put a heaping tablespoon of sugar in my tea. Nine months after I got serious about making a lifestyle change, I finally cut the last 1/2 teaspoon out of my cup. That was a hard change for me; it took a while, and that is okay! It was the time schedule that worked best for me. Absolutely nothing says that healthy habits are an all or nothing option! Be gentle with yourself and make changes as you can.

I'm also all about making better choices. Fish sticks and fries can still be on the menu, just choose to have a smaller portion of those and load up the rest of your plate with a larger portion of a green veggie. If getting veggies in is a problem, make them the easy choice! What works for me is that once a week or so, I spend some time chopping a bunch of salad things and hard boiling some eggs so I can have those "instantly" ready to throw together any time I want a salad. It has made eating a healthier easier (especially when hubby cooks) or nights I'm running late and would normally have called for pizza delivery. I've also found that keeping easy salad stuff around means we're using a lot more leftover meats (chicken, steak, salmon, etc) ... it is so easy to just chop that up and throw it on a big salad! Near instant dinner!
  • GOINSTD12
    GOINSTD12 Posts: 331 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @suznhenz - I also am intrigued by the trike. I did some research and there are several companies that make them. Terra Trike's entry model is on the lower end of the price spectrum but they also offer a foldable version, if you're willing to pay more. There's a company here in Austin that carries them, that will allow you to test drive the bikes and find one that meets your needs and preferences. It's called Easy Street Recumbents and it specializes in recumbent trikes and bikes. There may be a similar store near you, @pstegman888 - their website is http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/ and they have a really nice comparison of the several brands they carry that's very helpful.
    Tracy
    TX
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    GOINSTD12 wrote: »
    @suznhenz - I also am intrigued by the trike. I did some research and there are several companies that make them. Terra Trike's entry model is on the lower end of the price spectrum but they also offer a foldable version, if you're willing to pay more. There's a company here in Austin that carries them, that will allow you to test drive the bikes and find one that meets your needs and preferences. It's called Easy Street Recumbents and it specializes in recumbent trikes and bikes. There may be a similar store near you, @pstegman888 - their website is http://www.easystreetrecumbents.com/ and they have a really nice comparison of the several brands they carry that's very helpful.
    Tracy
    TX

Yes, I checked out TerraTrike's website and some other internet info also. The nearest rental/demo bike shop is almost 2 hrs away, so I'm hoping to get some user feedback before making that kind of time commitment (plus I have health issues that limit my stamina so a 4-hr round trip is a very big deal for me). I saw the foldable model on the website. Good idea if it's not too cumbersome to handle. Thanks for the info.
  • LissBlisspgg
    LissBlisspgg Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Tuesday - Goals (do you have any Goals you want to update us?)

I have challenged myself to loose 48 lbs by Christmas, 6 down 42 more to go...
    I have challenged myself to reach my 10k steps per day...well first I have to remember to put on my fitbit each day haha
    I have challenged myself to not let others dictate how I feel or how well my day goes...I am in control of MY emotions and MYSELF

have a great Tuesday all!!
  • taburbey
    Options
    Tuesday-Goals: I am focused on being a healthier version of myself by next May when I will turn 40. 40! Objectives: Take one day and 1lb at a time, eat to fuel my body not to fill an emotion, drink more water and less sugary drinks, incorporate more exercise by finding physical activities I enjoy, stay committed to loving myself enough to keep moving forward even when I want to throw in the towel when I dont see immediate results.

I wish you all success in your personal goals :smile:
  • dawnkimber3
    dawnkimber3 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've got a long way to go, but today has been great so far! :)
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many newlings!! Welcome to all of you; I can't wait to get to know you better.

I was out of town over the weekend. We surprised my parents with a 50th anniversary bbq at the lake house my sister is renting. I was worried they were onto us, but they were completely surprised. It was a lot of fun visiting with family I haven't seen in awhile, but of course, my eating wasn't on point. At least I was pretty active with walking back and forth to the beach and swimming on Sunday.

I'm not even going to attempt personals, but I did spend yesterday catching up with all of your posts. Today I need to get a bunch of stuff done around the house, and submit an article I wrote before heading off to the lake house again tomorrow.

Tuesday Goals:
    Keep my calories under control while at the lake house Wed and Thurs. It's so easy to just snack on junk while there, but I'm going to work really hard to not let that happen. I'm especially going to focus on keeping my protein levels up.

General Goals:
    1. Edge flowerbeds
    2. Make doctor appointments
    3. Take winter coat to cleaners

Fitness Goals for the month of July:
    Visit gym or run outside minimum of 12 times 4/12
    Run at least 6/30 miles

You vs Year Challenge:
    211 k done/ 789 k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Sun-- at lake house
    Mon-- mowed lawn
    Tues-- walk gunner + work out
    Wed-- at lake house
    Thurs-- at lake house
    Fri-- walk gunner + work out
    Sat-- walk gunner + work out
  • magg1107
    magg1107 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest goal is just to move more and continue making smarter choices. Had some m&ms today did not let it derail me. Kept under my calories. So life is still going great.
  • runto107
    runto107 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Tuesday goals

I would like to have a cleaner diet with fresh produce making up 3 of my 6 small meals a day of about half my diet.

Since my son has started football I have stayed under calorie goal but am consuming foods I normally wouldn't consider meals. (Like popcorn for lunch)

Also get back to eating breakfast daily. Idk why but lately haven't been hungry. Need to force something small in reguardless

Currently no fitness goals because I'm still in the wheel chair but I have another pt app tomorrow
  • cjbrummet
    cjbrummet Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Monday - Check in

On Monday I wore a pair of scrubs that previously I hadn't been able to fit into. Even after I started to lose weight I was afraid to try them on for fear that they would still be too tight. Not only could I put them on but they were a little loose. The scale hasn't moved but I am a happy camper.

Tuesday - goals

My goal this week are:
    1. to actual start measuring and logging my measurements. I haven't wanted to see what those numbers were.
    2. continue to try to work out at least every other day.
    3. continue to run outside. I run further and I enjoy it more. My runs have really been mostly walking with a little running added, but since I ran outside I went further with a lot more running than I did before.
    4. fit into this Burgundy dress my daughter bought me for Mother's Day that was just one size too small. I might actually fit into it now but haven't had the guts to try it yet. (I have three weeks for this goal)

@taburbey words to live by I think

@runto107 Hopefully you will be up and moving soon, but don't rush your recovery. No one wants a set back. Try having fruit or yogurt when you aren't hungry. A diet Dr told me the best way to increase your metabolism is to eat 6 small meals a day. If you skip a meal especially breakfast your body thinks it is starving and goes into fat storing mode.

@skinnyjeanzbound sounds like you had a great time. I love when all the effort of a surprise party turn out just the way you wanted.

@dawnkimber3 Here is to many more days like that!

@LissBlisspgg You can do it, it won't be easy but you can do it. Good luck!

@suznhenz & @pstegman888 I showed the trike to my son and now he is trying to talk me into buying him one...lol

@Nikion901 Always giving great advise. I like reading what you write every time. It helps keep me motivated to stay as healthy as I can

• Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Wednesday - Wishes (what do you wish? It can be weight related or not, can be realistic or not)

My wish is coming around again ... get my butt out of this office chair and into the rest of the house and world.

Todays topic got me to thinking about wishes. Of course, we all have lots of wishes that pop into our thoughts. Some of those are just wishful thinking ... like I wish I had a date with Agent 007 or a million dollars. Other wishes become something we hunger for, think about every day, cannot imagine a future without it ... and that's the point in time that we have the opportunity to start the journey to make that wish come true.

I did a little re-reading of some of the articles I've accumulated about reaching goals and they all have a stream of thought that is common, so I'd like to recap them here ...

The Fundamentals of Making Wishes Come True
    1. A 1,000 mile journey begins with the first step taken.
    2. Words have power.
    3. Be realistic.
    4. Believe in yourself.
    5. Don't listen to the nay-sayers.
    6. Get hungry for it.
    7. The right time to start is NOW.
  • taburbey
    Options
    Wednesday Wish- to complete a 5k next spring/summer. I have signed up for them in the past and then chickened out, self-doubt and all. This time next year I will be ready!