Healthy milk substitutes?

Options
124»

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Treece68 wrote: »
    Soy milk is good but I heard it can increase dementia chance in females as long as and also increase your estrogen levels as well.

Yes soy has photo estrogen. In women it replaces the estrogen that we naturally produce and lowers our estrogen levels. In men it increases their estrogen so ... man boobs. Not sure about the dementia part though.
    I drink unsweetened almond milk but I am lactose intolerant.

No it doesn't, if that was true men in countries where soy consumption is high would have bouncing breasts.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Soy milk is good but I heard it can increase dementia chance in females as long as and also increase your estrogen levels as well.

Yes soy has photo estrogen. In women it replaces the estrogen that we naturally produce and lowers our estrogen levels. In men it increases their estrogen so ... man boobs. Not sure about the dementia part though.

It's phyto-estrogen, not "photo estrogen." And your summary of the impact it has on men and women isn't accurate.
  • Caitlinbc
    Caitlinbc Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 1% milk or unsweetened Silk Almond Milk.
  • minniemoo1972
    minniemoo1972 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Erm.....no it doesn't. I've been to Japan and in didn't see a single man with breasts chowing down on tofu.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options

It's phyto-estrogen, not "photo estrogen." And your summary of the impact it has on men and women isn't accurate.

Yes I did spell it wrong.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    For soy milk, I prefer Silk and So Nice over So Good.
    I ALWAYS buy the vanilla soy milk. But I'm not concerned about sugars... and I don't have it every day.

ETA: If I weren't allergic to cow's milk then I'd just stick with that instead of any substitute.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    xMiracat wrote: »
    What is unhealthy about milk?

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

it is processed, so dirty, and should be avoided like the plague...
  • ndj1979
    Options

So you could try rice milk, soy milk, hemp milk, coconut milk, and the list likely goes on. All of them are just attempts to simulate milk, nothing is intrinsically healthier about them although they tend to be lower calorie.

Some people told me that regular dairy milk is high in fat and calories so if I substitute milk with soy or coconut milk instead they say I'm saving my calories and my fat content

I suggest you look at the nutrition label instead of listening to what "some people" tell you. Compare regular and skim with optional substitutes, and see which fits better into your diet. And take into account what you actually like, because sometimes a few extra calories is worth it.

Is regular milk considered ''unclean''? or processed? I'm trying to go for a clean diet overall

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.

Most of us lose weight by eating fewer calories than we need to maintain our weight. I don't eat "clean"; I eat the same foods as I have also eaten, but in smaller portions.

but i thought a calories isnt just a calorie? like if you only eat 200 calories in lets say french fries and 200 calories in veggies, you will lose weight witht he veggies cause the calories in the fries are bad and make you gain weight

you are getting information from horrible sources...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    the amount of misinformation in this thread is alarming...
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the amount of misinformation in this thread is alarming...

I am starting to wonder if it isn't just trolling. This can't be real.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to find a healthy milk substitute but I'm not sure which kind or brand to buy lol.

I can't have almond milk though because of allergies.

But I do love soy and coconut milk but how do I find the healthiest kind? Should I buy the canned or the carton kind? lol What about the vanilla soy is that healthier or is that too much added sugar?

Also if I were to buy regular dairy milk is it better to get whole fat, 2% fat, etc.?

Thanks!

milk
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like to sub my milk for a nice dark Milk Stout. Nothing better over a bowl of Lucky Charms. Magically delicious.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I like the organic soymilk from Trader joes in vanilla!
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

If even actual estrogens or testosterones in food impacted blood estrogen/testosterone in any significant way, people who need hormone therapy would not need hormone therapy.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I like the organic soymilk from Trader joes in vanilla!

But you also like fear mongering.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Yes I did spell it wrong.

You got everything else wrong too
  • xMiracat
    xMiracat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

It is milk. The only processing is pasteurization and skimming off the cream to get the various fat percentages. I would consider it clean, but then I don't eat clean and have no intention of doing so.

may i ask how do you lose weight without eating clean?? Research I've done from trainers and youtube videos etc. they all say you will not lose weight unless you eat clean.

Most of us lose weight by eating fewer calories than we need to maintain our weight. I don't eat "clean"; I eat the same foods as I have also eaten, but in smaller portions.

but i thought a calories isnt just a calorie? like if you only eat 200 calories in lets say french fries and 200 calories in veggies, you will lose weight witht he veggies cause the calories in the fries are bad and make you gain weight

you are getting information from horrible sources...

can you explain what im misinformed on?