What is your take on Ketosis

Options

Replies

• LokiGrrl
    LokiGrrl Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I read it was due to excess ketones being expelled in the breath, which I guess you wouldn't be getting with moderate carbs? I'm not sure, though, would love to learn more.
  • erider0505
    erider0505 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Hornsby - I was always told in order to burn fat you need to significantly lower carbs and eat fat. I have been told to eat a least 1,600 cal with 175 grams of fat, 75 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbs. Is this not so? It has worked and I do feel good. However, I am looking for a way to eat/exercise that will just improve my overall health, lose like 15 lbs and just live a healthy lifestyle. What do you suggest?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    erider0505 wrote: »
    @Hornsby - I was always told in order to burn fat you need to significantly lower carbs and eat fat. I have been told to eat a least 1,600 cal with 175 grams of fat, 75 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbs. Is this not so? It has worked and I do feel good. However, I am looking for a way to eat/exercise that will just improve my overall health, lose like 15 lbs and just live a healthy lifestyle. What do you suggest?

If you are losing weight, you are at the right calorie range. Add in resistance training and cardio. And hope for good genetics. But you were told wrong.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Unfortunately, what you have always been told is wrong.

Slight calorie deficit, strength training with some cardio mixed in. That's the quickest way to lose fat.

While macros have a slight effect on body composition and fat loss, as long as you are balanced and getting enough proteins and fats, I don't think they matter all that much. If "I" were eating 1600 cals a day, I would aim for 1gr of protein per lb of lean mass, .5 grams of fat per lb of body weight, and fill the rest in with carbs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    double post

• erider0505
    Options
    @Hornsby - Thank you!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

No one HAS to go LCHF to lose weight. It's just for some people it makes losing weight/staying in a deficit much easier, due to reduced hunger and cravings.
    If i had a choice of struggling every day v effortless, which is the case for some folks, then i cant blame them for choosing this way of eating.
  • erider0505
    Options
    Would you say 'Everything in moderation'? Naturally focusing on more whole foods vs processed.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Would you say 'Everything in moderation'? Naturally focusing on more whole foods vs processed.

I would say eat in a way that allows you to meet your goals.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I would say eat in a way that allows you to meet your goals.

Yep, and this is very individual, what works for one person may not work for another. If you are losing weight and everything is going along swimmingly then stick with what you're doing. If you are struggling to stay within your calorie goals everyday, then doing a little bit of experimentation with different foods and macros may help. I'm an advocate of making this as easy as possible, most people give up because it's just too hard and they are always hungry!
    In the end what other people think of whatever you choose matters nothing, you do you and let them do them.
  • gana2win
    gana2win Posts: 14 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    » show previous quote
    and for those with diabetes
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/diabetes/diabetes_education/patient_education_material/no_more_carb_confusion.pdfI

I went to this link, read it - am wondering the date it was written?
    Would like to show my sister.

• tribal351
    tribal351 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm on keto now. Starting weight was 285, and I started losing weight by cutting calories to a deficit. Trouble is, I was always hungry and cheat days happened a LOT. After a year I was at 266, with most of that weight coming off quickly, followed by 10 months of yo-yoing.
    After getting frustrated at my inability to not feel super hungry on 2000 calories per day, I decided to try keto. No hunger, no cravings. Another 20 lbs lost in 2 months with virtually zero effort. No keto flu, no boo boo breath.

Is the diet for everyone? Probably not. I just happen to love eggs, meat and cheese. Works well for me.
    The key to any diet plan is finding something that works for you, and sticking with it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    tribal351 wrote: »
    I'm on keto now. Starting weight was 285, and I started losing weight by cutting calories to a deficit. Trouble is, I was always hungry and cheat days happened a LOT. After a year I was at 266, with most of that weight coming off quickly, followed by 10 months of yo-yoing.
    After getting frustrated at my inability to not feel super hungry on 2000 calories per day, I decided to try keto. No hunger, no cravings. Another 20 lbs lost in 2 months with virtually zero effort. No keto flu, no boo boo breath.

Is the diet for everyone? Probably not. I just happen to love eggs, meat and cheese. Works well for me.
    The key to any diet plan is finding something that works for you, and sticking with it.

This is exactly what I'm saying.. Keto is the perfect way of eating for the issues you explained.
  • briislovely
    briislovely Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about a month. It was okay I guess. I missed foods that I really enjoy, too much. Bread, pasta, potatoes, regular chocolate, cereal etc. Its not something I could do long term for that reason. I would crave that food too badly, too much restriction.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost a lot of weight, I was hungry all the time. Pretty much always. Eventually, I moved in with this girl who cooked very well, in the fall, stopped exercising so much for the off season, but kept telling myself that I'm the kind of person who exercises a lot, so I can have some extra food. (Dangerous way of thinking.) It all came back, and it was years before I did anything about it.

This time around, I got pretty close to my goal weight and went into maintenance. I lost weight through the winter. I lost weight for the months after getting hit by a car, even the week I couldn't walk. I haven't been counting calories through most of this. I'm not in keto, I eat lots of carbs. I really wish I knew what it was, I'd write a book and get rich. I'm just not craving the stuff I used to love and overeat, at least not anywhere near as much.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I tried it for about a month. It was okay I guess. I missed foods that I really enjoy, too much. Bread, pasta, potatoes, regular chocolate, cereal etc. Its not something I could do long term for that reason. I would crave that food too badly, too much restriction.

Ha, ironically all the foods you mentioned are those i have issues moderating, which led me to go low carb in the first place. When i was low carbing i lost my cravings and interest for my 'trigger' foods, I didn't miss them at all, i was glad to be rid of them!
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options

I would say if you are happy with what you are doing, and happy with your results, keep doing it. LCHF is simply one way some people create a deficit. I have trouble eating carby foods "in moderation" so I eat low carb. It's worked for me for three years running.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients. Your body can make the small amount of glucose you need without any difficulty.
    I don't disagree with your statement about carbs, but having carbs in the system ISN'T a disadvantage either. Energy is more efficient, carbs are great fuel for the brain, and if one is looking to add more significant muscle, they aren't going to do it without carbs.
    That said, one doesn't NEED to shower or bath, but it's likely ideal for the times we live in.

Carbs in the system is only a disadvantage (IMO) for that half of the population with insulin resistance. Since ketones are a good alternate fuel source, an excess carbs create problems for those with IR, those people may do well to view excess carbs as a disadvantage.

For those who are insulin sensitive, like yourself, carbs can even be advantagous.
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LokiGrrl wrote: »
    The breath and protein could have had something to do with it, as i did struggle to keep my protein on the lower side. I'll go back and have a look when i get a minute.

I went and had a look at 2 weeks worth of logging, and there was one day where i was at 96g of protein, there rest were around 130ish.

You're higher than I am. I'm usually near 80 or below. But who knows. You might just have drawn the short straw for bad LCHF breath. ;)

I have such a terrible time with protein! Fat is super easy, but protein, I don't know if it's because it's so filling or what, but I have to work at it to even hit 60 a day. The goal of 140 (35%) seems like an impossible dream most days.
    Well if it helps, I hit 50 grams with just one shake (double scoop) and it's only 6 grams of carbs (I drink it with just water).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I haven't tried the shakes. They all seem to be super expensive and I don't know what's in them. I ought to look into it, thanks!

I tend to use shakes too. I am not much of a meat eater so keeping my protein intake above adequate levels is a bit of a struggle. I tend to add protein powder to my coffee throughout the day. Without doing that, my protein tend to be low.
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    My husband doesn't like the idea because your body does need carbs in order to function properly and I'm on the fence with it.

What is your take on the Ketosis diet? Have you tried it and if so what were/are your results? What did you do, based on diet, to have the desired carb amount yet still be able to eat well?

Your body doesn't need carbs at all. Your essential carbohydrate needs are zero, unlike protein and fat which are essential nutrients. Your body can make the small amount of glucose you need without any difficulty.

I've been doing ketosis for the last 14 months or so. My macros are something around 5% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat. It is a high fat diet with moderate protein. Some people have success doing it with high protein but they tend to be a minority.

My take? It has been life changing for me. Both my health and happiness have improved. With such a positive quality of life change, I can't ever imagine going back to a higher carb, or even moderate carb, diet.

The most obvious change was the drop in appetite and carb/sugar cravings. Those are almost gone. I had reactive hypoglycemia before changing my diet so I was shaking and light headed if I did not eat at least every two hours. Now? I can skip eating for a day if I want and my blood glucose stays steady. No shakes or weakness. I'm not reliant on carbs for fuel so it really frees me up from having to manage that.

I also became prediabetic a couple of years ago. I was not obese and weight loss does not help me manage my insulin resistance. I lost 20% of my body weight and am in the middle of a normal BMI now but I need to eat LCHF in order to avoid BG fluctuations.

Other benefits included better hair and skin, fewer autoimmune issues, fewer headaches and better cognition. That last one was a shocker but after about a month or so of ketosis my thinking became noticably clearer. I was only 41 so I wasn't expecting that one. Bowel movements are also easier and smaller, I have less gas, and my breath has actually improved - a bit fruity even. Bad breath is really not a common side effect of ketosis, although it is less rare in those folks who are doing it with higher protein.

My only downside is the food restrictions. You have to think a bit more about the foods you will be eating and sometimes plan ahead. That one was not a big one for me since I have celiac disease and can't safely have many other people cook for me anyways. I really do enjoy LCHF foods though so it hasn't been a hardship at all. Cheese, meats,veggies, nuts, and coconut are my staples. All yummy.

Sweets and baked goods aren't worth the negative effects on my well being.

so not true...

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/carbohydrates/art-20045705?pg=2
    http://www.mckinley.illinois.edu/handouts/macronutrients.htm
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Carbohydrates_UCM_461832_Article.jsp#.V49yGfkrLRY

and for those with diabetes
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/diabetes/diabetes_education/patient_education_material/no_more_carb_confusion.pdf

It really is true. Carbs are not needed for a healthy life. People can safely eat zero carbs as long as they are eating qaulity meats (not too cooked and include some organ meats here and there).

I was unable to see the first of your links for some reason, but the ADA's advise is pretty poor. Moderate carb does not work for all diabetics. It's a "F" for me.

And the ADA implies that you need 130g of carbs for fuel every day? it's just not true. The body does have glucose needs but those needs can be met by gluconeogenesis. Plus the body's glucose needs declines the longer you are on a ketogenic diet. Daily glucose needs fall from around 130g to as low as 40g once the body becomes used to relying on fat oxidation. It essentially comes to "prefer" it and uses fat over glucose in time.

Carbs are fine for some, but for others they can be a problem. Since they are non-essential, they can be largely skipped (or skipped entirely) in order to address those problems.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    @nvmomketo I would argue that carbs are an issue for 1/2 the population, especially consider that 33% of that is based on estimates, which was also largely increased through the US changed in parameters. Many of those prediabetics would come out of that range simply by making smarter carb choices (less ultra processed foods) and increase exercise.