Halo Top iced cream

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Darn, I really wanted to try this, but sugar alcohols are a disaster for my digestive system.

For me it's usually fine but not in big quantities, apparently :p
  • change4char
    change4char Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Birthday cake was so good. The lemon one was ok. I'm excited to try more flavors.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love Halo Top mint chip and birthday cake. My store never has the strawberry which I want to try. Disclaimer: I also like Artic Zero. I'm in love with the new 300 calorie pints, snickerdoodle, banana, and cookie dough are delicious! I also like the 150 calorie pints of salted caramel and cookie shake, 20 seconds in the microwave and its soft enough to eat in a cone!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I stocked up since it's on sale and spent $50 on Halo Top yesterday. Some of every flavor. Our freezer is pretty full.
    How many carbs in a whole pint?

This is from their web site, and it's after you subtract out fiber and some kind of sweetener they use that can't be digested, or something. This is per serving, not per pint, so multiply by 4 and you get 16 grams.

?format=300w
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    I stocked up since it's on sale and spent $50 on Halo Top yesterday. Some of every flavor. Our freezer is pretty full.
    How many carbs in a whole pint?

This is from their web site, and it's after you subtract out fiber and some kind of sweetener they use that can't be digested, or something. This is per serving, not per pint, so multiply by 4 and you get 16 grams.

?format=300w

I wish I had that kind of freezer space!

As for the sugar alcohols, I try to keep those to a minimum so I basically ate the birthday cake flavor like 3 or 4 spoonfuls at a time. I may have only logged about 11 grams of the whole pint. :)
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    pdxwine wrote: »
    After reading this thread, I checked out Halo Top today. After reading the ingredients, I put the pint back in their freezer. Too many things in it that I had never heard of.

Do you not internet?

Oh well. It's cool. More for the rest of us. :)

Hey no need to be snarky. Just because there are ingredients that I am not interested in? :p

"Erythritol can cause side effects such as diarrhea, headache, and stomachache in some people and/or when consumed in large doses."
  • glassyo
    Options
    After reading this thread, I checked out Halo Top today. After reading the ingredients, I put the pint back in their freezer. Too many things in it that I had never heard of.

Do you not internet?

Hey no need to be snarky. Just because there are ingredients that I am not interested in? :p

"Erythritol can cause side effects such as diarrhea, headache, and stomachache in some people and/or when consumed in large doses."

LOL I probably would have been way snarkier if I had posted at first read. :)

See, I'd asked that because you said you weren't interested in ingredients you don't know but how do you know they're bad for you or whatever if you don't know what they are?

I'm with you on the erythritol tho. It's the only reason I won't eat a lot of the halo top in one sitting. I don't need to exacerbate any of my digestive issues. :)
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Based on this thread, sought out and purchased some today.

The lemon isn't lemony enough to warrant me buying it again. Rather budget the calories and get a small serving of Baskin Robbins lemon cheesecake ice cream while it's still around (seasonal?), thanks.

The birthday cake is straight up gross to me. It tastes like nothing but the discount store brand pseudo-buttercream vanilla cake frosting made with hydrogenated oils. Bleh. And it had a funky aftertaste that thankfully the lemon did not. If it didn't have erythritol in it, I'd give the rest to the dogs.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't let it bowl melt!

I'll probably try the mint just to be sure, if I see it on sale, but my expectations are now super low. :/
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I, too, bought some Halo Top Lemon Cake based on this thread. I thought it was okay, but not great. I think it has an aftertaste. I much prefer Yasso Greek Yogurt Bars in Sea Salt Caramel or Mint Chocolate Chip. I think Halo Top is better than Arctic Zero, though.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Antmaril wrote: »
    I, too, bought some Halo Top Lemon Cake based on this thread. I thought it was okay, but not great. I think it has an aftertaste. I much prefer Yasso Greek Yogurt Bars in Sea Salt Caramel or Mint Chocolate Chip. I think Halo Top is better than Arctic Zero, though.
    I feel you on this, there's some aftertaste but I think it's great for only 240 calories for the whole pint :smile: I do prefer Yasso too though! I literally eat 1 or 2 of the chocolate chip cookie dough bars everyday lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Now I'm tempted... do these REALLY taste good, or do they just kind of taste close enough to real ice cream to be bearable? I feel like people exaggerate the yumminess of "health" foods just to convince themselves they're as good as the real thing. For instance - the chocolate brownie Quest protein bars taste nothing like a real brownie, and everyone who told me they did (and tempted me into buying a case) are lying jerk-faces. lol

To be fair, I had such low expectations the first time I bought some, I thought it was really good. Then I got another pint and reality set in... there's a strong aftertaste (which really I've found in pretty much everything that uses artificial sweeteners anyway).
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I am an ice cream aholic, and I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners. That being said, I love Halo Top. Especially the Vanilla Bean and the Mint. I agree the lemon isn't lemony enough for me. I've never tried Birthday cake as it isn't my thing. I do not taste an aftertaste.

I agree that most things people pimp as 'healthy alternatives' are gross. Protein powder mug cakes - blech. Quest bars - gross. But Halo Top (and most AZ), I think are great.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Do you not internet?

To be fair you said you hadn't heard of the ingredients, not that you had a specific one you wanted to avoid.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried Halo Top, but I have tried Arctic Zero, and it is good but expensive.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Now I'm tempted... do these REALLY taste good, or do they just kind of taste close enough to real ice cream to be bearable? I feel like people exaggerate the yumminess of "health" foods just to convince themselves they're as good as the real thing. For instance - the chocolate brownie Quest protein bars taste nothing like a real brownie, and everyone who told me they did (and tempted me into buying a case) are lying jerk-faces. lol

Admittedly, ice cream is not a food I need to have; I can totally live without it and I don't need to have certain brands; I used to just get what was on sale. Having had Arctic Zero before, I went into my Halo Top experience with very low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. It doesn't give me any stomach issues and I really expected it to based on experience from other diet-y type foods. So, for me, I love it. But if you're expecting it to be like Ben & Jerry's/Haagen Dazs/Blue Bunny, you'll probably be disappointed.

Eta: I tried a chocolate mint Clif builder bar after reading here that it "tastes just like Thin Mint girl scout cookies!" Talk about disappointment...
  • glassyo
    Options
    The only bad thing I can say about the halo top birthday cake flavor is it needs more pretty colors...cuz of the birthday thing!

(Just felt the need to put that out there. :))
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just saw this at Kroger a few days ago. Needless to say we have been taste testing every kind they had. Birthday cake is SOOO good. I like the mint chip one. The chocolate one is lacking in my opinion.. Still have yet to try the vanilla bean and lemon flavors. Overall, though, you can't beat the macros AND FIBER in these pints. I don't eat a lot of ice cream but it's definitely something my husband can and does eat by the pint. :)
  • hannahsadler_tn
    hannahsadler_tn Posts: 77 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Strawberry is pretty good too!

OOH I don't think they had that kind but I will be on the lookout!!