I'm losing my mind...:(

Options

Replies

• zonkiethegreat
    zonkiethegreat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I live in Miami, so most of the restaurants are Latin (Cuban, Argentinian, Honduran, Venezuelan). Most offer LCHF friendly food, but I agree it's tough to know what they put in the food when they cook it.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Stay out of Restaurants for a month, weigh and log every gram of what you eat for that month... OR next time you are at a restaurant order your meal and "guesstimate" the calories THEN buy the same meal and take it home. and conduct an autopsy. weigh and calculate the calories for real. Secondly, do you log alcohol? booze can be the hidden culprit in lots of diet frustrations... the carbs in booze are off the chart. So... your choice... continue to look for the phantom reasons or "man up" and have that hard look in the mirror.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When you're travelling for work, can you pack food to take with you like protein bars, instant oatmeal, fruit and crackers etc so you can at least keep an eye on the foods you eat for breakfast and lunch?
  • zonkiethegreat
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Stay out of Restaurants for a month, weigh and log every gram of what you eat for that month... OR next time you are at a restaurant order your meal and "guesstimate" the calories THEN buy the same meal and take it home. and conduct an autopsy. weigh and calculate the calories for real. Secondly, do you log alcohol? booze can be the hidden culprit in lots of diet frustrations... the carbs in booze are off the chart. So... your choice... continue to look for the phantom reasons or "man up" and have that hard look in the mirror.

When I go out to eat, if it's a restaurant with nutrition info I go by that and log it. If it's a place that doesn't have nutrition info, I then have to guesstimate based on comparable restaurants that do have nutrition info OR I break down the food I ate into MFP. As for alcohol I don't drink, like very very rarely, maybe one or two glasses of wine a MONTH. I'm very very strict about beverages, I don't drink booze and I don't drink soda, just plain boring water or La Croix sparkling water.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Food scale.

I have one, and I use it when I cook at home. Although to be totally honest, I don't cook a lot because of my business I travel a lot and often have to eat out for business dinners, and lunches.

That's your problem then.

"I weigh everything I cook but I don't cook often..."

You're ingesting more calories than you think.

I agree. There is a huge margin of error when estimating restaurant portions; and we can never be certain of the recipe.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »

When I go out to eat, if it's a restaurant with nutrition info I go by that and log it. If it's a place that doesn't have nutrition info, I then have to guesstimate based on comparable restaurants that do have nutrition info OR I break down the food I ate into MFP. As for alcohol I don't drink, like very very rarely, maybe one or two glasses of wine a MONTH. I'm very very strict about beverages, I don't drink booze and I don't drink soda, just plain boring water or La Croix sparkling water.

What people are saying is that that's not good enough because of differences in cooking and hidden calories in restaurant food that makes it hard to guesstimate.
  • zonkiethegreat
    Options
    The other thing I've noticed is that I seem to gain all my weight around my face and neck, it's driving me nuts. If you saw me, you wouldn't think I weighed 220 lbs.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oftentimes you can look up the nutrient info at the chain restaurant's website if you have a smartphone. Some states require it on the menu or somewhere in the establishment. Ask for it.

When you travel on business, you can often go to the nearest grocery store that has a salad bar. When you eat out at a restaurant, you can check the nutrient content or just order a small steak/ grilled chicken/shrimp/lobster and side salad/broccoli. Eat leftovers for lunch the next day if your room has a refrigerator, otherwise just leave it on your plate. The Hampton Inn usually has LCHF items on their breakfast bar. Carry nuts with you..

The hardest part of eating out is when your co-workers order all kinds of carb-laden appetizers,entrees and deserts and start questioning you. Just tell them your doc has put you on a new diet.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

Just be very mindful that the information is based on a meal they put together as the "ideal" meal served; this is not necessarily (and likely not) replicated in the real world restaurant kitchen.

For example, Chipotle (which I'm on temporary hiatus from because, well... nom nom nom...) has a nutrition calculator and you can build your own meal to see what the calories are. Based on experience, many of these ingredient amounts used in the calculation are not even in the same universe let alone the ball park. 1 oz cheese? 2 oz sour cream? No way, even if you say "just a little".

Agreed. Sometimes I used to get this BBQ pulled pork sandwich from a local place near me. If I wanted a lot, I knew to order it on a Wednesday because the chef was so heavy handed with the pork that the bun would almost be falling apart with all the meat slipping out. However, the chef on Mondays put just enough so that it fit neatly on the bun with none dripping. I would weigh it and the difference was over 100 grams!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OP: I feel you. I have been going through the same thing for years. All of my thyroid tests have come back within the normal range. I, like you, am probably eating more than I think. BUT, I am still eating much LESS than I was before and working out much MORE than ever. There should be a deficit regardless. I have been lifting 3 times a week and doing met con 2x a week and hiking a 3,000-4,000 foot mountain almost every weekend! My journal is open but I haven't really logged correctly in awhile. I needed a "head break". Enjoy my Jane's Addiction concert beer binge entry from the other day!

I am going to be vigilant with my weighing and see what happens in the next month.

TLDR: I can relate.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I weigh all food that I cook, and when I eat out I have to eyeball it or take note of the chain I'm eating at. Honestly, a cheat day for me is in the 1800-2000 range. I also do not overestimate my calorie burn, that is for SURE. At Orange Theory we use heart rate monitors and even though they say I burn 416 calories in 45 minutes, I always log it as about 350.
    Yeah, but do you weigh every single solid and semi solid foods? Do you log cooking oils, salad dressings, fruit and veg? Do you weigh very single recipe ingredient on a digital scale and log it into the recipe builder? Do you only use cups/spoons for liquids only? Do you log all your foods all the time? Do you log tastes, bites and licks? Do you choose accurate database entries that reflect the packaging of the food? Do you weigh pre-weighed and pre-packaged food?

Can you please open your diary so that we can take a look?

Oh dear, if I had to do all that, I would have not lost weight. I lost over 80 pounds not measuring. However, now that I am in maintenance, I weigh everything with a food scale using grams, except my butter cooking spray. :)

Now that I am maintaining, I am a huge proponent of measuring but people can lose without it. With that said, if she does not have a medical issue, I would agree that she is eating too much and not accurately counting calories.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I'm being honest here, I have no reason to lie about the numbers. If you don't believe me that's fine, but I'm telling you all that at the very very most on a bad day, I will eat 2,000 calories, and that's a bad day. So either my body has acclimated to eating very little, and therefore gains from anything over a certain amount or I'm intolerant to something, I don't know.

I only came on here to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar, because in the last 3 months, I've gained 11 pounds and I think it's because instead of eating 900-1100 a day I'm now eating 1200-1500 a day.....which still doesn't make sense considering I burn about 2100 calories a day just living without exercise (this is based on my FitBit). Maybe I've messed up my metabolism....maybe I need to cut carbs completely???

Would you mind letting us know how you measure your food? If you don't want to open your diary, that's understandable. No one has a right to see that if you don't want them to. I get that. However, would you mind at least letting us know what method you are using to count your calories?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I weigh all food that I cook, and when I eat out I have to eyeball it or take note of the chain I'm eating at. Honestly, a cheat day for me is in the 1800-2000 range. I also do not overestimate my calorie burn, that is for SURE. At Orange Theory we use heart rate monitors and even though they say I burn 416 calories in 45 minutes, I always log it as about 350.
    Yeah, but do you weigh every single solid and semi solid foods? Do you log cooking oils, salad dressings, fruit and veg? Do you weigh very single recipe ingredient on a digital scale and log it into the recipe builder? Do you only use cups/spoons for liquids only? Do you log all your foods all the time? Do you log tastes, bites and licks? Do you choose accurate database entries that reflect the packaging of the food? Do you weigh pre-weighed and pre-packaged food?

Can you please open your diary so that we can take a look?

Oh dear, if I had to do all that, I would have not lost weight. I lost over 80 pounds not measuring. However, now that I am in maintenance, I weigh everything with a food scale using grams, except my butter cooking spray. :)

Now that I am maintaining, I am a huge proponent of measuring but people can lose without it. With that said, if she does not have a medical issue, I would agree that she is eating too much and not accurately counting calories.

Of course people can lose without measuring. Nobody has stated otherwise. I lost 30 lbs that way. But then I stopped losing and needed to be more accurate. That's what the OP needs to do or she just needs to eat less, period.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can you give us a rough idea of how many times a week you eat at restaurants, what meals are you choosing? What is the stated nutrition? What about bread, drinks?

It sounds quite tough to maintain a calorie defecit if you aren't in control of your intake to any great extent

Wait for your test results, then take stock

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'm being honest here, I have no reason to lie about the numbers. If you don't believe me that's fine, but I'm telling you all that at the very very most on a bad day, I will eat 2,000 calories, and that's a bad day. So either my body has acclimated to eating very little, and therefore gains from anything over a certain amount or I'm intolerant to something, I don't know.

I only came on here to see if anyone else is experiencing something similar, because in the last 3 months, I've gained 11 pounds and I think it's because instead of eating 900-1100 a day I'm now eating 1200-1500 a day.....which still doesn't make sense considering I burn about 2100 calories a day just living without exercise (this is based on my FitBit). Maybe I've messed up my metabolism....maybe I need to cut carbs completely???

How many of those bad days are you having? I had to be brutally honest with myself. I can't have a bad day , cheat day or cheat weekend. Once I started being honest and log every single day even on the weekends I began seeing results.

You have to be honest with yourself completely.