What do you think of people who are naturally slim?

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Maxematics wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Well, the good news is that this is my last post because I am getting nowhere.

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.

But the thing is, you don't know exactly how many calories you were eating daily. Did you track your intake precisely or just using your, "I ate like a horse" method.

Track calories? A college student in a fraternity who tracks calories? Really? Find me one.

I ate more than others, and had no more physical activity than others. I was the bean pole. Again, it is beyond belief that people cannot accept this simple and factual statement.

Which would be why I gave you some easy questions that anyone could remember decades after the fact - to compare your thin self to your weight gaining self at different points in time. You complain about the hard question but didn't answer the easy one, either.

If you've ever read a scientific paper, you may find areas like Observations, methods, results, conclusion. You're stating your observation over and over again, no meat in between and no attempt to share relevant facts, and asking us to arrive at the same conclusions as you did. I'm not sure what you're looking for, here.

And where is your evidence that bone-thin 20-year-olds eat less and exercise more when they say they don't ?

Like the other poster said, you can't follow these people 24 hours a day. So it works both ways.

Did you take psyche 101? Cause you learn that your memories are not reliable. Particularly when remembering a time with fondness.

My memory, in terms of how much I ate when I was in college, and in terms of how little exercise I did, is 100% perfect. Again, denying the obvious that some people burn a lot more calories than other people.

This entire thread has been filled with people who at one point in their life, had the same mindset as you, until they faced reality and had the epiphany that they or others were either eating less than they thought, or they were more active than they thought. The only thing obvious is that you aren't willing to even consider that your personal perspective may be slightly clouded creating bias.

Apparently, it does not fit the narrative that everyone has here. Weigh all your food. Measure all your food. Count the calories of every strawberry you eat. It's the only way.

But why does claiming that you ate more and weighed less fly in the face of this narrative. It's still CICO. My CI and CO were just more than the average person. Why is this so hard to believe?

And I'm not winning a contest. I am just stating a FACT. 6' 1", 145 lbs. when I was 21. WHY? And please don't repeat the same thing - you ate less than you thought, or your memory is bad, or you fidgeted a lot. Tired of hearing that.

I knew I recognized your name this whole time as a poster who seems to take an issue with the use of a food scale, but I wasn't going to write anything about it until now. I remember that thread too and it was similar to this one.

I have no issue with the use of a food scale. But lots of people lose weight without a food scale. If you enjoy weighing and measuring your food, and counting every calorie, more power to you. That's the last thing I would want to do. I do, however, believe in CALORIE AWARENESS.

I probably confused you with someone else; my apologies. I agree with you that lots of people lose weight without one and it's usually because they are so overweight to begin with that they have a larger margin of error when logging food.

Anyway, honestly, I don't know how you can sit here and type out "my fellow frat bothers who ate less than me and did the same amount of exercise I did (walking to class) were heavier than me." Please, if you would be so kind, walk me through an entire day back then. Class routes, what was eaten, heights, weights, etc.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member

When I was in my late teens and early 20's, I ate like a horse, out-ate my friends, and I was skin and bones (as were my father, uncle and first cousin when they were in their late teens and early 20's). And I even bought a product called "Weight-On" when I was in college. Didn't work.

I am not a freak of nature. There are millions of others like me. If you want to reject this undeniable fact of life, so be it if it makes you happy.

But the thing is, you don't know exactly how many calories you were eating daily. Did you track your intake precisely or just using your, "I ate like a horse" method.

Track calories? A college student in a fraternity who tracks calories? Really? Find me one.

I ate more than others, and had no more physical activity than others. I was the bean pole. Again, it is beyond belief that people cannot accept this simple and factual statement.

Which would be why I gave you some easy questions that anyone could remember decades after the fact - to compare your thin self to your weight gaining self at different points in time. You complain about the hard question but didn't answer the easy one, either.

If you've ever read a scientific paper, you may find areas like Observations, methods, results, conclusion. You're stating your observation over and over again, no meat in between and no attempt to share relevant facts, and asking us to arrive at the same conclusions as you did. I'm not sure what you're looking for, here.

And where is your evidence that bone-thin 20-year-olds eat less and exercise more when they say they don't ?

Like the other poster said, you can't follow these people 24 hours a day. So it works both ways.

Did you take psyche 101? Cause you learn that your memories are not reliable. Particularly when remembering a time with fondness.

My memory, in terms of how much I ate when I was in college, and in terms of how little exercise I did, is 100% perfect. Again, denying the obvious that some people burn a lot more calories than other people.

This entire thread has been filled with people who at one point in their life, had the same mindset as you, until they faced reality and had the epiphany that they or others were either eating less than they thought, or they were more active than they thought. The only thing obvious is that you aren't willing to even consider that your personal perspective may be slightly clouded creating bias.

Apparently, it does not fit the narrative that everyone has here. Weigh all your food. Measure all your food. Count the calories of every strawberry you eat. It's the only way.

But why does claiming that you ate more and weighed less fly in the face of this narrative. It's still CICO. My CI and CO were just more than the average person. Why is this so hard to believe?

And I'm not winning a contest. I am just stating a FACT. 6' 1", 145 lbs. when I was 21. WHY? And please don't repeat the same thing - you ate less than you thought, or your memory is bad, or you fidgeted a lot. Tired of hearing that.

I knew I recognized your name this whole time as a poster who seems to take an issue with the use of a food scale, but I wasn't going to write anything about it until now. I remember that thread too and it was similar to this one.

I have no issue with the use of a food scale. But lots of people lose weight without a food scale. If you enjoy weighing and measuring your food, and counting every calorie, more power to you. That's the last thing I would want to do. I do, however, believe in CALORIE AWARENESS.

I probably confused you with someone else; my apologies. I agree with you that lots of people lose weight without one and it's usually because they are so overweight to begin with that they have a larger margin of error when logging food.

Anyway, honestly, I don't know how you can sit here and type out "my fellow frat bothers who ate less than me and did the same amount of exercise I did (walking to class) were heavier than me." Please, if you would be so kind, walk me through an entire day back then. Class routes, what was eaten, heights, weights, etc.

Particularly the beer consumption of those frat boys.
  • ninjachicken4000
    ninjachicken4000 Posts: 26 Member
    Nothing, because they don't exist. There is no such thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member

Nobody expects you to provide a food log from your college days, but the fact of the matter is that when you're claiming that you defy science, you'd better be able to back it up. It's absolutely not hard to believe that your CICO was more than the average person, but you seem to be implying that you were so much of an outlier that you could sit there and consume 10K calories while your friends consumed 5K and they'd gain but you wouldn't and that just doesn't happen. Your height alone gives you a few more calories.

I ran a 5'9", 150 pound, 18 year old sedentary male through a TDEE calculator; he'd need 2029 on average to maintain. A 6'1", 150 pound, 18 year old sedentary male gets 2105 calories on average. A difference of 76 calories from height alone which is approximately one medium apple, one large egg, or one extra roasted chicken drumstick. Change the activity levels to moderately active and the average difference becomes 98 calories; that's around 12 extra tortilla chips, an extra hot dog without a bun, an extra vodka soda or light beer, or an extra 2.5 ounces of broiled salmon. Do you see how all of that can easily add up and seem like a lot more food throughout the day? This doesn't even take differences in bodyfat into consideration.

Now, I've noticed that you're 57 years old which means that you were in college from approximately 1977 to 1981, give or take a few years. You know what hasn't changed much, if at all, between then and now? The calorie needs of a growing boy/young man. You know what has changed? Portion sizes. Everything was much smaller back then than it is now. So let's say your CO meant you could eat 500 calories more than your friends without gaining. In 2016 that's not much, maybe a burger from a fast food joint, a bagel, or two small slices of pizza. Back in 1979 to 1982? You could probably get 500 calories out of two burgers, two bagels, or three small slices of pizza. Also, how much food ordering was actually done by college boys back then? I'd assume not even half as much as now. Due to that, if you were eating mostly home cooked meals or meals prepared in the school cafeteria, you could have easily been able to put more on your plate for not as much calories as now. There are so many factors to consider that it's a bit illogical to state "I out-ate all my friends at ALL times and was WAY skinnier". You just cannot assert that without knowing what your friends ate 24/7. I could eat a huge bowl of salad and it will only be 240 calories and take me an hour to eat while my friend could have a Snickers bar for approximately the same amount of calories but finish it in 60 seconds. Who seems like they ate more though?

I have a friend just like you were back then; two years ago he was 145 pounds at 6'3" but he ate M&Ms or peanuts by the handful several times per day. You know what else he did? Yard work for his mom around the house all the time, socializing with friends a lot throughout the day, ran errands. He didn't just sit on his butt all day, eat, and magically not gain weight. Now he's trying to build muscle and he's 195 pounds. To him it felt like he had to eat SO much to gain weight because he wasn't used to eating that much. He also moved to a place where you need to drive everywhere instead of walk, so that decreased his TDEE. It doesn't have to be lifting weights at the gym for your body to count it. If I get up now and do 10 jumping jacks, I could probably get away with eating one more strawberry today than I would be able to otherwise. Movement is movement, no matter how everyday it seems. This is why at 5'3" and 108 pounds, I'm able to get away with eating 2000+ calories and not gaining weight on many days when women who are heavier or even taller than me cannot. I do my 45 to 60 minutes of hard exercise in the morning, but the rest of the day I'm on my feet running errands, taking walks, doing housework, etc. All of those things, even if they are light work, increase my TDEE.

That's all very interesting but you miss an important point - my fellow frat bothers who ate less than me and did the same amount of exercise I did (walking to class) were heavier than me. Back then there were no joggers, and nobody knew where the weight room was.
    So in other words they get "naturally fat"? Guess what? They ate more than they needed to.
    There's no DISPUTE that metabolic rates differ from person to person. The point being conveyed here is that anyone who's being designated as "naturally slim" just ISN'T exceeding their maintenance calories. If they did, they would gain weight. You won't find Journals of science disputing that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    some would say my boyfriend is 'naturally thin'. no -he burns shittons of calories at his job and burns off everything he eats. he also doesnt have a huge appetite, and doesnt eat hardly any junk or overly processed foods.
  • skmonak
    skmonak Posts: 88 Member
    When I see a thin person I usually notice whether they are healthily thin with good skin color, a toned body and energetic in their movements. If they look healthy I admire them for their dedication in having and keeping their health. I think it must be nice to be able to buy great looking clothing off the rack and have it fit the way it is supposed to. I am envious of their ease of motion. If a thin person appears sickly and more gaunt or ashen then a healthy person would look then I feel sorry for them and know they are struggling with something. I don't necessarily believe in naturally thin people. After all, I was once thin, healthy and incredibly active. If you don't maintain a healthy life style your entire life, people who are thin when they are younger will most likely become over-weight and less healthy as they age.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Carpercia wrote: »
    Good for them. Nobody else's success or failure has anything to do with my success.

This is my favorite post in here so far. Although I'm not done yet.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Right - you didn't track calories when you were in college and the people you are comparing yourself against didn't either. That's not surprising. However, if you don't have any kind of data, then how can you be so sure that you ate more than these frat boys? That is the reason that people can't accept your anecdotal statement. It is a recollection, likely clouded by time and emotion, that has resulted in your staunch belief in something that is probably just not as factual as you would like it to be. It is beyond belief to me that you cannot accept the possibility that you might be misremembering what you ate, what they ate, or what your activity level was like. Without any numbers, there is just no way of knowing.

Actually, we haven't discussed liquid calories either. Not that college frat boys would drink...
  • Maxematics
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Right - you didn't track calories when you were in college and the people you are comparing yourself against didn't either. That's not surprising. However, if you don't have any kind of data, then how can you be so sure that you ate more than these frat boys? That is the reason that people can't accept your anecdotal statement. It is a recollection, likely clouded by time and emotion, that has resulted in your staunch belief in something that is probably just not as factual as you would like it to be. It is beyond belief to me that you cannot accept the possibility that you might be misremembering what you ate, what they ate, or what your activity level was like. Without any numbers, there is just no way of knowing.

Actually, we haven't discussed liquid calories either. Not that college frat boys would drink...

Yes, but it was asked about earlier in the thread and has yet to receive a response. It will either be that nobody drank at all, which would be a statistical anomaly among frat boys, even in the '70s and '80s, or that they drank the same beer cans or every cup was the same and poured to the same exact capacity every single time. Give me break with this nonsense already lol.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Zipp237 wrote: »
    Depends. People who struggle to keep weight on have a struggle, too. Different, but not easy. It's especially hard for small men who have trouble getting buff when that's what they really want.
    If they aren't getting buff, it's because they aren't consuming the calories needed to do it. And while many may have a higher metabolic rate, math still applies. Eat more than your TDEE consistently and you'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You have no idea how much my boyfriend eats and still cant gain weight... he has see his gp aswell and they have told him also he will find it it hard. He has high medolism and works 7.30am until 6pm mon to firday and always on his feet. And he's over 6 ft aswell...

If i could id show you a picture of his breakfast

He's over 6 ft, works long shifts, and is always on his feet of course he has a high TDEE. I know guys that easily maintain on 3000-4000 calories, which (imo) is a massive amount of food.

Exactly. I have a friend who is 6'3" and he's been lanky all his life. He decided to lift heavy weights and change his physique. His starting weight was 145 pounds and now he's 195 and his body has changed completely.

His TDEE before doing any of this was around 2800+ with all the social activity he has daily and he'd always do work for his mom around the house. Now that it's been a few years and he lives on his own, has a desk job, and has to drive everywhere, even with the lifting in order to bulk he has had to eat 3500+ calories. He had no idea and just ate until he saw weight go on consistently, but he said he felt like he has to eat a lot just to bulk. When I told him to run the numbers and track his food for a few days, he was amazed at the calorie intake. This guy goes through a jar of peanut butter every two days to bulk. He just had no idea it would take as many calories as it did and to him it felt like he was eating a lot since he was used to eating so much less. Thyroid and other medical issues aside, hardgainers actually don't eat enough as it's been stated in this thread. There are not people who can magically eat thousands of calories beyond their TDEE and lose weight or maintain.

This. I always find the people who say "I can't gain weight" or "I can't lose weight" have absolutely no idea how many calories they need nor how many calories they are eating.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    Depends. People who struggle to keep weight on have a struggle, too. Different, but not easy. It's especially hard for small men who have trouble getting buff when that's what they really want.
    If they aren't getting buff, it's because they aren't consuming the calories needed to do it. And while many may have a higher metabolic rate, math still applies. Eat more than your TDEE consistently and you'll gain weight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You have no idea how much my boyfriend eats and still cant gain weight... he has see his gp aswell and they have told him also he will find it it hard. He has high medolism and works 7.30am until 6pm mon to firday and always on his feet. And he's over 6 ft aswell...

He's over 6 ft, works long shifts, and is always on his feet of course he has a high TDEE. I know guys that easily maintain on 3000-4000 calories, which (imo) is a massive amount of food.

Exactly. I have a friend who is 6'3" and he's been lanky all his life. He decided to lift heavy weights and change his physique. His starting weight was 145 pounds and now he's 195 and his body has changed completely.

His TDEE before doing any of this was around 2800+ with all the social activity he has daily and he'd always do work for his mom around the house. Now that it's been a few years and he lives on his own, has a desk job, and has to drive everywhere, even with the lifting in order to bulk he has had to eat 3500+ calories. He had no idea and just ate until he saw weight go on consistently, but he said he felt like he has to eat a lot just to bulk. When I told him to run the numbers and track his food for a few days, he was amazed at the calorie intake. This guy goes through a jar of peanut butter every two days to bulk. He just had no idea it would take as many calories as it did and to him it felt like he was eating a lot since he was used to eating so much less. Thyroid and other medical issues aside, hardgainers actually don't eat enough as it's been stated in this thread. There are not people who can magically eat thousands of calories beyond their TDEE and lose weight or maintain.

This. I always find the people who say "I can't gain weight" or "I can't lose weight" have absolutely no idea how many calories they need nor how many calories they are eating.
    There are lots of people who think they eat alot, then come to one of my family parties and say, "Damn man, I thought I ate a lot till that party." Our parties last 5-6 hours and there PLENTY of food and variety of it too.

party_zpsrvn8wmxk.jpg
    A typical party would involve at least this much food. And that's not even the deserts!!!! By the time the day is done, food is gone with most being eaten and the rest taken home.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That food looks amazing. Feel free to invite me next time! haha.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    @ninerbuff Amazeballs!! Clearly I was born in the wrong family.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

There are lots of people who think they eat alot, then come to one of my family parties and say, "Damn man, I thought I ate a lot till that party." Our parties last 5-6 hours and there PLENTY of food and variety of it too.

party_zpsrvn8wmxk.jpg
    A typical party would involve at least this much food. And that's not even the deserts!!!! By the time the day is done, food is gone with most being eaten and the rest taken home.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

How many people are in your family, 50?? :lol:
  • ninerbuff
    @ninerbuff Amazeballs!! Clearly I was born in the wrong family.
    Part of the reason I think bulking during holidays wasn't an issue for me!!!!

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Maxematics
    edited July 2016

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

party_zpsrvn8wmxk.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

LMAO, Filipino, right? One of my good friends is Filipino and when he invited me to a family gathering for the first time, I was amazed. It looked very similar to this photo and, of course, all the food was absolutely delicious! I took what I thought was a good heaping sampling of food and his dad was like "Aren't you going to eat?"

But yeah, it's true. The hardgainer friend I referenced earlier has invited me to family gatherings of his as well. It's usually one of two types of meat, usually chicken, vegetable side dishes, and maybe some mashed potatoes and that's it. The dessert was usually one apple pie or that and a tray of brownies or cookies from a local bakery. They don't eat beforehand and if appetizers are out it's trays of freshly cut fruit or vegetables and dip. No offense to anyone on the boards, but it's very white bread type of food and I was used to seeing a lot more food and more calorie dense food at my own family gatherings. They were all "stuffed" and while I ate some, it was decent, and I was thankful, it lacked flavor and fat and I still felt hungry.

• ninerbuff
    Lol, just remembered I'm going to a Filipino b day party tonight (about 25 people). And most of the food on the pic will be there. That's why I ate a small lunch today (and I usually skip breakfast daily). I'll have enough calories by the end of the day.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

party_zpsrvn8wmxk.jpg

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That's a nice appetizer.