WOMEN ages 50+ FOR JULY 2016

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet OKC: "I too was very surprised when I lost the 125 pounds that the majority of my shoes would no longer stay on my feet. However, what really blew me away was the first time I put my straw sun hat on to go outside. It was so big it just swirled around on my head. Gives a whole new meaning to "fat head." "
    I haven't had any problems with my glasses fit and my shoe size has stayed the same. "The girls" shrank quite a bit & I'm back to the bra size I had in college. I'm happy with the look and thrilled with the fact that I don't get a backache from them now. :bigsmile:

CSSJ09: We went on a winery tour of the area around Middleburg and didn't see much in the way of horses. I'm the only horse lover in the group. :ohwell: The area around Middleburg is gorgeous. :bigsmile:

KJLaMore: Thanks for the explanation of the kettle bell 8X10X15 notations. I was wondering but didn't ask. :flowerforyou:

Kim: You are doing an awesome job with your goals. What a great month you're having! WTG!!! :smiley:

Pip & Miriam: I like to keep this a politics free zone, too. We need to focus on our health and quality of life. There are other, more appropriate places to express political opinions. (((HUGS)))

Rita: Thanks for the malware warning to avoid "2 private message." I'm sorry you had to repair your computer. :grumble:

Lillian: Congratulations on your retirement! There is a learning curve, & you may need to protect your time from those who will ask for you to do this or that for them. A little helping is fine if you enjoy it and don't turn into the family "gofor." :noway:

Lenora: I hope your DIL's post about moving ends up being a blessing for you and your husband. :heart:

Becca: I love the reenactment photos! How wonderful! DH's niece met her husband through a reenactment group but they don't participate any longer. Their wedding was a "reenactment." I think they had some fun and moved on to new ways to have fun. :smiley:

Pip: That is a great a photo of the bridge over Deception Pass. I love the video. DH has MS, so this is very personal. Thanks for all you and Kirby do to help the cause. :heart:

Rori: We sold our last home at the garage sale while we were getting ready for the move to our current home. I had a "for sale" sign and stapled it to the house. We had consulted a realtor prior to this and had a good idea of what a reasonable asking price would be. If we hadn't sold so quickly on our own she would have gotten the listing. Our buyer was married to a real estate attorney & he handled the legal aspects. We were very lucky. I'm sure you'll sort this out and your place will sell quickly. The best advice I have is to know the market and price it right. :heart:

I know that I've missed many people, but the household is awake around me and I need to close the computer and get going on other things. Have a great day, everyone!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Monday! Hopping on late. Piddled around too much this morning. :/ and GAH! Forgot to weigh in for the 24 week challenge! Not going to do it now, already ate breakfast. Tomorrow morning, for sure. Just a couple quick shout outs:
    Becca- Love your RenFair pictures! I have been active with our community museum events. Specifically the Feast of the Strawberry Moon late 1700's reenactment weekend. Specific to the native tribes and settlers in the West Michigan area. Fun stuff! I will have to dig up my pics to share. You and the boys look wonderful (I love to see little ones in costume).
    Michele- I do and have done squats for years. I can feel it in my glutes, quads, and knees. I don't like feeling it in my knees because it just feels like I am stressing my knees too much. Not pain, but fatigue, in the knees. I get the same thing riding a bike. always have. But I get no stress feeling in the knees when I walk/run. (although the stairs will trigger that feeling again) Maybe it is just something you get used to???
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone. Please send strength and peace my way today. So far the day has been very challenging and I am repeating over and over again that I can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I am pulling out every resource I have to stay in the "now" and accept that I am doing the best I can. Won't bore you with the details but I would appreciate you sharing strength my way! NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    NYKaren - Wafting you strength and calm actos the pond. You have already gone far beyond the call of duty. No one is superwoman. I would never have attempted to do what you have, so love yourself for what you have done. :flowerforyou:

I've got back from the doctor /nurse. My BP was 132/80. That's the best it's been in many years and on the first take too.! :D Any one of you that has a BP that is not going down as much as it should with a healthy diet and exercise and is normal weight might like to try the beetroot capsules that I buy from Amazon and take twice a day. I heard a professor on the radio who had won a major prize for her work on the role of nitrites/nitrates in BP. Beetroot apparently carries the important component in its pure form and some people have a genetic incapacity to convert one to the other. As my BP hadn't changed despite my getting healthy, I thought it was worth the minimal expense to give it a try. Obviously it has worked for me. :D I am very happy that I have proved my scoffing husband wrong. :laugh:

Did a huge shop afterwards, but it's nice to have the fridge and freezer full. I also bought some great paper napkins, which is a strange obsession of mine. :laugh: And more beetroot! :bigsmile:

DJ - The family troubles are not a disagreement, but something genuinely troubling and sad. :'(

Love Heather xxxxxxxxxx

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    thank you Heather from this side of the pond! NYKAREN
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    B)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Some summer bouquets pick me ups. The first one was given to me by my friend who we got together last night. These are from her garden. She has sun! The sun flower mat I bought at the garden tour last week.

ywdln7fv8gdd.jpg

The background platter I got at Target in the clearance isle. It was from their Marimekko promotion.
    j3pgndu5acps.jpg
    :heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,785 Member
    Options
    Well Wally went to family court (jeans brothers)he will stay away and if the restraining order goes through it could effect his job prospects if he ever has to look...scared the """"* out of him...
    I feel bad for Faith having to do that to her own son,but he had it coming.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    Options
    thinking good thoughts for you klanders30p

fanncy gave
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    NY Karen: Sending you thoughts of inner peace along with an alert mind and calm body. (((HUGS)))

I know how insidious stress can be. This prayer is a gift from AA to the world. I often need it when DH's health issues make life challenging:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    Courage to change the things I can,
    And wisdom to know the difference.

I hope it will give you a measure of peace in a tough situation.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Tibetan proverb: "The secret to living well and long is: Eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure..."

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Glad you all liked the pictures of my SCA and Renfaire days. It was a great time to be with the boys, with no mundane toys, just wooden things. I even had a cooler covered in wood grain plastic shelving sheeting. We were able to set up camps on the "Erics" which were the roped off areas that were the fighting arenas. Our encampments were set up facing the Erics large squares. People had walking space between the Erics and our encampments, so we always had to be "in persona". When my 3rd son was a baby, I had him at an event. The night before I had made some marinated steaks. The next day, as he was playing on our fur rug he got cranky because he was teething, so I gave him the cold steak piece. So I had him on the rug growling and gnawing on that steak piece thoroughly enjoying himself. He was in a cloth diaper, as well. People were walking by and saying, "wow now that is authentic SCA child rearing!"

I think its very important for a family to go a certain activity "as a family" and that was ours for many years. What was maddening was that the boys weren't growing up fast enough to help with the set-up requirements! Most of the time I had an older one watching the younger ones, so they couldn't hold tent lines on the pavilion set-ups. By the time the 3rd son came along our SCA and RenFaire stuff got enough that we had to have a trailer to haul it all. So the rules for most SCA events is that you have to park your car, unload everything, then go park your car someplace else. So unloading our pile was daunting looking and it took 3 hrs to set up everything! Being that most of the events were in the Northern California area, most of my time was spent keeping the boys hydrated, and keeping the food sanitary. Most events you had to bring your own water, and they had porta-potties. Nothing like teaching your sons to pee in the blue scary water....

Today's Deep Water aqua aerobics class was great! 60 minutes of muscle burning, stomach tightening stuff! I come out so tingly and my muscles all over my whole body are warm. Still are and its almost 2 hrs after the class ended. Today I will eat mindful and appreciate my great cooking skills!

(((group hugs ya' all))))))
    Becca
    Oregon

• Charleen2
    Charleen2 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Kim - Better Bugs Bunny found your garden than still munching in mine. :D

Folks - I can feel the beginning of a turn of the seasons. Yes, we will still have some days in the 90's but I can feel the tender touches of Fall playing in the evening air.

The lake out back is a good gauge of Mother Natures cycle, Spring brings pelicans that stay only briefly before moving on to deeper water. Herons, ducks and eagles show up in late Spring and some stay through the Summer.

August brings hummingbirds coming down from a Summer in the mountains tanking up at the sugar feeders for their long journey South along with migrating geese and pelicans. Late Fall and the night is filled with the calls of rafts of geese as they take flight to their winter grounds. The coyotes are out frequently calling to their packs, hunting for the unwary goose who thought the cattails were a safe place to sleep.

In October my family of Northern Flickers show up in the deck demanding I put out the suet feeder for them. They stay all winter munching suet and seed. They are a sure sign that Winter is coming. Occasionaly an eagle lingers in the trees by the lake looking for shelter from the storms.

Last evening the pelicans flew in and landed on the lake.
    e3ivl2wbc57q.jpg

Charleen in Colorado (Still hot but looking forward to cooler days)
  • summertime19
    summertime19 Posts: 57 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon Awesome news for you! I am going to look into this . Could you please share the brand of beetroot you use from Amazon, Thank you!
  • KBDaukas
    KBDaukas Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ughhhhh! I'm got my steps for the day and the couch is calling me...relentlessly! :s
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Summertime - These are the ones. I take one in the morning and one at night.

vtxtj9yhi28k.png

Heather xxxxxxxxxx

It looks a bit expensive, though you can buy smaller quantities, but they last 250 days! Obviously mine is a UK site, so I don't know if it's the same in the US.
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Reis today weigh in day?

GLo NS, Ma
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,672 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I am getting excited about the MS ride already.... very rare for me.... every year, part of the packet that we get has a handkerchief that has different signatures and sayings, saying "thanks" from people with MS. we all put them on our wrists, necks, on our helmets, etc... to remember who we are riding for. what I wanted to do this year was get a blank one and mail it out to everyone I know that has MS and send it back to me throughout the year so that when I do it next year, I will have people that I actually know riding with me...

we found a 4 bike bike rack that may work for us. we have 5 but that's ok, thinking about getting that for the airstream. it will go in the front as opposed to the back of it which I like better.

I will be happy when this month is over. I am doing my best in trying not to do too much riding, but the weather is so nice. I rode in today and I want to ride home. my knees are tired, my backpack weighed 17#'s!!! I knew it was heavy but didn't think it was THAT heavy... so far 1054.2 miles

later peeps
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,934 Member
    Options
    Not feeling well today. Summer cold
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Wow, Charleen! I can't believe you can feel Fall. Summer is just gearing up here. August is usually brutal!

I went back to exercise class today. We were doing a kettle bell routine. I used 5 lbs even though there were times I know I could have gone heavier in light of the fact that I'm really not supposed to do anything yet.

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts Workout B
    Squats-1X5X 55/65/75/85, 5X5X 90
    OHP- 1X5X 45/50/55/60, 5X5X 55
    DL- 1X5X 140

Kettlebell Swing
    Russian kettle bell swing-20 X 10 X 30

Walk 1,000 Miles Challenge
    6 miles