Is peanut butter good for you?

Options
Drake940
Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
I don't usually eat it but I heard its good for your health. My question is it good for you. I would probably eat meridian smooth peanut butter (100%). I would also eat 2 tablespoons a day.

Replies

• Drake940
    Drake940 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Do you like it? Does it fit into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day? Do you feel good after eating it? If the answer to all three is "yes" then it sounds great. If the answer to any of them is "no" then you might consider eating something else.

Do I like it? Haven't really had it before.
    Does it fit into my calorie goal? Doesn't matter, I can make it fit if I have to. Everyone has one dimensional answers these days. It's eating healthy foods doesn't matter as long whatever you're eating fits in your daily calorie limit. I don't care about calorie limit, I just wanted to know if it's healthy. I know food like salmon is healthy no questions asked. Is it the same for this.
  • SophieSmall95
    SophieSmall95 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    So long as it is part of a balanced diet, yes it is healthy and good for you. It's a great source of good fats (poly unsaturated and mono unsaturated) and protein. Though bare in mine it does contain some saturated fat also, so try to keep track of how much you're eating to not eat too much. They are also a good source of magnesium and iron. Just try to avoid brands that load it full of unneeded salt and sugar.

You can even make your own peanut butter if you want, it's literally just blended peanuts.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It's fine, no different from eating peanuts. I don't really like it that much (and I prefer other nuts to peanuts, yes, peanuts are a legume), so don't go out of my way to eat it, but if you like it it's a great source of healthy fat and a little protein. It's calorie-dense, so you have to be careful about that.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    yup fit it into your day and enjoy
  • berolcolour
    berolcolour Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It's got protein and fibre, so I'd say yes and the meridian one is better as its wholenut (more fibre) and doesn't have added sugar. I think if you don't love it, there are other foods that provide the protein, fats and fibre that peanut butter does. I love it so I would eat it either way!

There's cashew and almond butter to try too if you don't love peanut butter but want something similar.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not? Just read the label. At it's most basic, it's just peanuts blended with oil. Some brands can add salt or sugar, so if that's something you worry about, you should make a note of that.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Some countries use peanut butter as a "fat" in their diet. US/Americans are the rarity they use it as "protein". So list it where you wish on your macros. That may give you a more definitive answer for your dietary needs. hth.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    I can't imagine ground peanuts being bad. Unless you are allergic to them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I find it very satisfying, so it's useful when you're trying to control calories. Whether it's healthy or not depends how much you're eating, what else you're eating and what your goals are.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I mean...do you need a calorie dense food with a decent amount of fat and a bit of protein added to your diet? By all means-eat it.
  • hokiemom14
    hokiemom14 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm in the minority, but I say no...it's not good for you. It has added sugar in it so if you are looking for just a filling snack I would be much more inclined to say buy a jar of almond butter which has no added sugar. It offers the same satisfaction and is great on apples and celery. It is more expensive, but if you are truly eating a serving a day then it will still last you a good bit of time. Of course you could make it fit into your day calorie wise if you really wanted to, but it's still not a great food for you. Just my opinion, but I am of the camp of clean eating. I really eat 95% of foods that contain no added sugars and perservatives and foods where I can read every ingredient on the list ;)