Which one do I trust?

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Elaina291 wrote: »
    Today I went to the doctor's office and when I was weighed, it read 205lbs.

But when I weighed myself on Weight Watchers scale at home it read 199.

On the 14th of this month I was 210 on WW scale and at gym scale and so since then, I have been eating at 1200 cals and lowered my carb intake significantly up until last Friday when I had all my wisdom teeth pulled. Now I am eating less than 1100 cals since Friday so being 205 doesn't make sense to me.

So which scale is more accurate?

Did you weigh yourself on the doctor's scale to determine your starting weight? If not, then you don't know what your doctor's scale would have said. You have to use the same scale consistently. So I would use your home scale since you use it more often and likely used it the day you entered your starting weight into MFP.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.

You don't really have any way to tell which scale is more accurate. So choose the most convenient one (I would say your home scale), get a new starting weight tomorrow morning and work from there. And don't be so obsessed with the scale. It's a good way to track but it's only been a week and it sounds like it's already controlling you.
  • msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

And by either measurement you have lost a lot

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

I feel like I am cheating myself somehow though by choosing a scale that weighs me lower but not neccesarily accurate. I wish I could go to another dr. office and see what it says and go off by average.

And I know I sound like a mad woman but when you have invested a lot of money in a scale, you expect it to be as accurate as possible.

I looked at your diary and profile. I see that you are quite young and perhaps not knowledable how all this works.

The past two days you have eaten 800 calories. I can only assume since this scale issues has you creating a larger deficit than is healthy? What your diary shows is a lot of lower calorie days under the recommended min to loose weight healthy. You will loose a good bit of muscle mass you have with this very aggressive way are choosing to loose weight. No one wants to loose their muscle.

It would not be right after seeing this to not say something. Please do not go below your calories goal of 1300 calories. This is dangerous and very harmful.

Lastly, stop the scale obsession, I do not have the answer other than stick to the home scale and weight under the conditions I laid out, but please get back on track and keep moving forward. Your weight loss will happen as long as you use the MFP app and a food scale as these two things are to be used together for successful weight loss. Use these two things and eat your number of calories MFP gave you to loose weight and you have great sucess.

And patience is your best friend right now!!

I had my wisdom teeth pulled so I am not doing it on purpose. I am scared to get sites infected so I am mostly sticking to a liquid diet which sometimes has me a lot lower than I would like. I will resume to 1200-1300 when I feel comfortable with eating solids again. Although I wonder if I should stick to at least 1000-1100 to lose 2lbs a week.

Also I am not obsessed. I have been doing this for 6 years and I do know how it works. Its just I don't want my scale to be off by 6lbs because when I resume back to my normal diet, its going to go up and I am going to be like what the heck happened?

And as for the muscle loss... that's why I am consuming a lot of protein and will start lifting on Saturday (after about a week of wisdom teeth extraction) to combat muscle loss (don't worry, I am not an idiot). I also have a large frame so it would take about a month or more of eating like that to lose a significant amount of muscle. I don't feel weak at all so I know its not affecting me yet but it won't come to that because when I can eat solids again, I will be eating a lot of protein and fat.

My concern was just with my scale because I invested a lot of money into it. But thanks for the advice!!! :)

It's simple. Check the weight of your scale. Even if it's off by 1 lb or even 3 lbs, then continue to weigh yourself in the morning under all the same perimeters, and then subtract 1- 3 lbs. If it's accurate, then great.

Can we seriously move on from the doctors office weigh in? It is a non issue and means nothing.

If you've been doing this for 6 years, having this much stress over something like assuming your scale is off is an easy fix, and we're confident you can sort that out with dumb bell or another weighted item. And as you know, you're looking at trends. Not expecting a daily decrease in weight consistently. That's why weekly weigh ins are helpful, as well as body measurements.
  • bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I swear the DR scale is always wrong. Im 99% sure somehow everyone is heavier at the Dr's office. I think they do that, so when they try to prescribe you medication, they can blame your weight...it's a conspiracy. But honestly? The scale is not the end all be all. How about inches? ALWAYS fall back on measurements, and more importantly, how you feel. It's not always about a number. The biggest loser has us all chasing numbers, it's not all about the numbers.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Take the your home scale back and get a refund, use only the doctor's office scale from here on out! You are driving yourself crazy, don't do this to yourself. It's just gravity.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Weighed this morning before seeing this and then weighed again 52 minutes later and I was 2.2 pounds heavier and I trust my scale!
    So OP, you've presented TWO measurements. By one you lost 5lbs and by the other you lost 11lbs. In 12 days.

And then you go on to say that you think you should eat less because you are "only" losing anywhere from 0.46 to 0.91 lbs A DAY?

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

I am not even going to cover that neither figure is representative of fat lost, especially with low carb thrown into the mix.

just... the expectation

Scales measure differently, pick one and stick with it ..I'd suggest home scales because you can keep to the same parameters more easily eg first thing in the morning, naked, after bathroom, before food or drink and always on same surface

By virtue of lowering carbs you have lost a fair amount of water (glycogen / water) and as it's the start you will see more movement

I looked at your diary and profile. I see that you are quite young and perhaps not knowledable how all this works.

The past two days you have eaten 800 calories. I can only assume since this scale issues has you creating a larger deficit than is healthy? What your diary shows is a lot of lower calorie days under the recommended min to loose weight healthy. You will loose a good bit of muscle mass you have with this very aggressive way are choosing to loose weight. No one wants to loose their muscle.

It would not be right after seeing this to not say something. Please do not go below your calories goal of 1300 calories. This is dangerous and very harmful.

Lastly, stop the scale obsession, I do not have the answer other than stick to the home scale and weight under the conditions I laid out, but please get back on track and keep moving forward. Your weight loss will happen as long as you use the MFP app and a food scale as these two things are to be used together for successful weight loss. Use these two things and eat your number of calories MFP gave you to loose weight and you have great sucess.

I had my wisdom teeth pulled so I am not doing it on purpose. I am scared to get sites infected so I am mostly sticking to a liquid diet which sometimes has me a lot lower than I would like. I will resume to 1200-1300 when I feel comfortable with eating solids again. Although I wonder if I should stick to at least 1000-1100 to lose 2lbs a week.

Also I am not obsessed. I have been doing this for 6 years and I do know how it works. Its just I don't want my scale to be off by 6lbs because when I resume back to my normal diet, its going to go up and I am going to be like what the heck happened?

And as for the muscle loss... that's why I am consuming a lot of protein and will start lifting on Saturday (after about a week of wisdom teeth extraction) to combat muscle loss (don't worry, I am not an idiot). I also have a large frame so it would take about a month or more of eating like that to lose a significant amount of muscle. I don't feel weak at all so I know its not affecting me yet but it won't come to that because when I can eat solids again, I will be eating a lot of protein and fat.

My concern was just with my scale because I invested a lot of money into it. But thanks for the advice!!! :)

It's simple. Check the weight of your scale. Even if it's off by 1 lb or even 3 lbs, then continue to weigh yourself in the morning under all the same perimeters, and then subtract 1- 3 lbs. If it's accurate, then great.

Can we seriously move on from the doctors office weigh in? It is a non issue and means nothing.

If you've been doing this for 6 years, having this much stress over something like assuming your scale is off is an easy fix, and we're confident you can sort that out with dumb bell or another weighted item. And as you know, you're looking at trends. Not expecting a daily decrease in weight consistently. That's why weekly weigh ins are helpful, as well as body measurements.

That's what I said (bolded)

I have been trying to help OP and I am failing miserably. I think she is on her own from here! ;)
  • Elaina291
    Elaina291 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I seem super obsessed. I assure you I am not. It just threw me off because that's never happened to me before. I usually weigh less at dr. office. Idk.

Maybe I just need to give the scale a break for a while so I don't become really obsessed over the numbers like I did when I was first successful with my weight loss.

• msalicia116
    msalicia116 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Weighed this morning before seeing this and then weighed again 52 minutes later and I was 2.2 pounds heavier and I trust my scale!

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

That's what I said (bolded)

I have been trying to help OP and I am failing miserably. I think she is on her own from here! ;)

I get that some people don't have a handle on CICO, or understand the body's physiology because of all the misinformation out there, but this stuff-where the person creates more issues than is necessary, I agree it's best to wish them luck and bow out.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I apologize if I seem super obsessed. I assure you I am not. It just threw me off because that's never happened to me before. I usually weigh less at dr. office. Idk.

Maybe I just need to give the scale a break for a while so I don't become really obsessed over the numbers like I did when I was first successful with my weight loss.

You do seem super obsessed to the point where you are saying you are going to eat dangerously low calories because you used two scales that said different things.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    What's important is NOT the number itself, its the CHANGE.
    If your home scale shows consistent progress towards a 10 pound loss, then you've lost 10 pounds.
    That's what's important. More so, right now, than the actual number that either scale shows.
  • Elaina291
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

But you have been eating one day 450, many more days under 1100. You are not doing this diet right and moreover doing any justice to your health. And you confirmed earlier that you would be dropping calories again more to get the scale to move.

Protein alone does not preserve muscle. What preserves muscle is accumulation of things, slow non aggressive weightloss, strength training, and ample protein. If you do not want to do strength training then slowing down the diet and ample protein will preserve some. The size of you body frame does not matter.

You have been doing this 6 years and the scale is still surprising you?

I did not call you and idiot, I said that you were young and possibly not very knowledgeable how the MFP process works.

Lastly just because you might feel alright today or tomorrow, does not mean that slowly you are working towards feeling really bad in the future by choosing to diet this way, because it will eventually catch up to you, and you will be visiting a doctor by then trying to find out what is wrong with you and why you feel bad

If you would look closely I have only been eating under 1100 since I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I am not trying to starve myself because I know that I will eventually gain it all back and then some (been down that road one too many). I am just being careful with eating because I do not want to get anything in my sockets and get an infection. That's the last thing I need right now.

I did mention also that I would start lifting weights on Saturday and I will be eating more solids by then also if I can muster it.

Eating a little less for a week or two is not going to harm me as long as I know that its not healthy under normal circumstances. Having my wisdom teeth removed makes this an abnormal situation. I will go back to eating like always when I can chew again.

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

But you have been eating one day 450, many more days under 1100. You are not doing this diet right and moreover doing any justice to your health. And you confirmed earlier that you would be dropping calories again more to get the scale to move.

Protein alone does not preserve muscle. What preserves muscle is accumulation of things, slow non aggressive weightloss, strength training, and ample protein. If you do not want to do strength training then slowing down the diet and ample protein will preserve some. The size of you body frame does not matter.

I did not call you and idiot, I said that you were young and possibly not very knowledgeable how the MFP process works.

Lastly just because you might feel alright today or tomorrow, does not mean that slowly you are working towards feeling really bad in the future by choosing to diet this way, because it will eventually catch up to you, and you will be visiting a doctor by then trying to find out what is wrong with you and why you feel bad

If you would look closely I have only been eating under 1100 since I had my wisdom teeth pulled. I am not trying to starve myself because I know that I will eventually gain it all back and then some (been down that road one too many). I am just being careful with eating because I do not want to get anything in my sockets and get an infection. That's the last thing I need right now.

I did mention also that I would start lifting weights on Saturday and I will be eating more solids by then also if I can muster it.

Eating a little less for a week or two is not going to harm me as long as I know that its not healthy under normal circumstances. Having my wisdom teeth removed makes this an abnormal situation. I will go back to eating like always when I can chew again.

This is a direct quote from you

"I think though I am going to do away with WW scale and weigh myself monthly at drs office. And definitely try to eat less because I am obviously eating too much still."
  • thatdesertgirl777
    thatdesertgirl777 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.
  • TMW45
    TMW45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just pick one set of scales and stick with them. My wife says I'm obsessed with the scale because I weigh every morning, and every day it's a little different but that's what makes me know if my weight is taking off !!
  • Elaina291
    edited July 2016
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

"I think though I am going to do away with WW scale and weigh myself monthly at drs office. And definitely try to eat less because I am obviously eating too much still."

I meant less than 1300 on my normal diet. My wisdom teeth have been extracted so this week its going to look like I am eating a lot less and that's only because I am being very careful not to eat things that will get stuck in my sockets. I am not enjoying this in the least or feel proud about it. It hurts to try to get food out of there.

I am going to try to eat between 1100-1250 once my wisdom teeth heals up. This will or should give me a 2lb/week weight loss which is still within reason.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

I meant less than 1300 on my normal diet. My wisdom teeth have been extracted so this week its going to look like I am eating a lot less and that's only because I am being very careful not to eat things that will get stuck in my sockets. I am not enjoying this in the least or feel proud about it. It hurts to try to get food out of there.

I am going to try to eat between 1100-1250 once my wisdom teeth heals up. This will or should give me a 2lb/week weight loss which is still within reason.

And eating back your exercise calories too, right?

2 lbs/week may be appropriate for you for a period of time, but may be too aggressive once you have less than 50 lbs to lose.

As others have said, the difference between two scales doesn't really matter. What matters is that you are consistent with whatever scale you choose to rely on, and that you weigh yourself under the same conditions whenever you choose to do it. Two different scales, two different locations, one dressed, one undressed, etc - those are all the reasons for the discrepancy. I'm sure your WW scale you purchased is fine, now you know your starting weight, and you may want to look into something like Trendweight or Happy Scale which tracks daily weight and helps account for the natural fluctuations in weight that everyone (especially women) experience.

• Elaina291
    Options
    You're about 200 pounds and eating only 1100 calories? Please, For the love of God eat more. :# That is really going to screw you up in the long run! Find out what your BMR is and at least eat that as a minimum.

Only if I binge which now that I know what my trigger foods are, try not to go anywhere near them when I feel the urge to binge come on (I'll try to binge on cucumbers or asparagus or something less calorie dense). If I can do that, then it won't hurt me in the long run. I just have to not buy anything remotely carby or filled with refined sugars. I know its going to be hard as hell in the beginning and its easier said than done but its a lot easier when I don't have it in the house which I plan on doing for the long haul.

Once I reach maintenance weight---132---I will eat at maintenance calories...1450. Until then I just want to eat at a large deficit.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

Actually looking at the math, cutting to that would actually have you losing more than 2 lbs per week.

If we go by your home scale weight loss, you currently have a 2,961 calorie deficit per day (losing about 0.84 lbs a day!!).
    Looking at your diary, you are averaging 1,081 calories in currently.
    That puts your maintenance at close to 3000 calories a day. So to lose 2 lbs per week you would want to eat around 2k per day.

If we go by the doctors scale, you currently have a 1,346 calorie deficit per day (losing about 0.34 lbs a day). With your average intake being 1,081 calories that would put your maintenance around 2300. So to lose 2 lbs per week you would want to eat 1300 per day.

You don't need to cut back at all. If anything, you might find you need to eat more to stay within a healthy rate of loss.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Elaina, I think you just need to relax and trust the process. Your scale is probably fine. Like others have mentioned, you can always check its accuracy with a dumbbell and calibrate it if necessary. I would also suggest only weighing once a week. I checked your diary and it actually looks ok for now. You are getting enough protein and also some fruits and veggies, so good job! I know what its like to have wisdom teeth out. I had to go back to the surgeon for a check up and because of pain, and it was because I had cleaned the sockets too much. He reminded me that this is a very common procedure and most people do not get infections or dry socket. You should start to eat more foods now. Keep them soft if you must. And try to keep your calories to 1200 or more. Good luck :)
  • Elaina291
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

<bangs head>
    <ouch>
    <only on MFP>

just... the expectation

And eating back your exercise calories too, right?

2 lbs/week may be appropriate for you for a period of time, but may be too aggressive once you have less than 50 lbs to lose.

As others have said, the difference between two scales doesn't really matter. What matters is that you are consistent with whatever scale you choose to rely on, and that you weigh yourself under the same conditions whenever you choose to do it. Two different scales, two different locations, one dressed, one undressed, etc - those are all the reasons for the discrepancy. I'm sure your WW scale you purchased is fine, now you know your starting weight, and you may want to look into something like Trendweight or Happy Scale which tracks daily weight and helps account for the natural fluctuations in weight that everyone (especially women) experience.

Yes I plan on eating back my exercise calories or at least half depending on how much I actually burn. And I will probably go down to 1lb/week when I am closer to my goal but thats like 73lbs away so I have a lot of pounds to lose before then.